Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 07-28-2018, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

Default Honing oil

Happy Saturday to all.

So let's talk a little bit about honing oil. Do you buy honing oil or use what's laying around, maybe ATF, cutting oil, Mobil1 or something else that you have in your shop.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 07-28-2018, 4:12 PM

I don't buy honing oil. I'll use light oil for rough cuts and heavier oil like motor oil for finer finishes.
Old 07-28-2018, 4:15 PM
Seņor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Water and a Belgian coticule for my straight razors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-30-2018, 5:12 PM

I use water, sometimes with a couple drops of dishwashing liquid, sometimes with a few drops of lanolin, sometimes straight out of the tap. I am getting substantially the same results with oil and water on very similar stones, so I am almost oil free.

The stones are staying clean, and cutting effectively and consistently. It is very convenient and fast to clean up, you don't ruin any clothes, and it is easily available!

If I were using oil, I would buy baby oil at the discount pharmacy. They use that stuff to oil up babies before wrestling matches and other baby competitions, so you know it is pure and mild on your little baby hands!
Old 08-25-2018, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hey guys, I tried a different oil today and I thought you might want to give it a try. It's works well for gun lube too.
I have an 06 Honda Insight (we call it the Jetson mobile) it calls for 0W-20 oil, I use Mobil 1 0W-20 extended performance. I've used it a few times on different stones, it works very well. I'm no expert, a novice at best. I thought maybe some of you guys might give it a try and let us know what you think

Happiness is a warm gun