Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 06-07-2018, 6:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro and WE-GO

I realized how dull my pocket knives have been getting. So i pulled the trigger on a Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro.

Anyone have one? Pros/Cons?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073W21WNG...v_ov_lig_dp_it
How about the Wicked Edge GO?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077KZVV9K...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Wicked Edge Pro Pack II?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NPSP25...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I've read that these may have issues with clamping down Benchmade Osbornes due to the spines design. I have a 943 that need sharpening and a 940 on the way. Any one experience this and how did you go about mitigating the issue.

Would like to do mirror finishes on them but need to get the ceramic stones and stropping blocks. Any idea which stones, ceramic, stropes to get first or what order?

Sharpening order, Diamond, Ceramic then stropping last?

Last edited by DDRH; 06-12-2018 at 11:48 AM..
Old 06-11-2018, 11:42 AM

Nobody got a Wicked Edge? How about the GO version?
Old 06-11-2018, 5:44 PM

Don't own a wicked edge but if i was going to sharpen my 940 on one i would remove the thumbstuds first (they use a torx bit) for a longer flat to clamp on.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:49 AM

Thanks CG77.

I also purchased the extension, "low angle adapter" hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:23 AM

Update. the Gen 3 Pro is backordered, so i went and purchased the WE-50 (Wicked Edge GO). Works pretty well, but for, seems like with everything, there's a learning curve.

one thing for sure, i need to learn how to sharpen near the tip, cuz i rounded out (possibly chipped off) the tip of my knife. Was able to get close to a mirror finish with the 0.6um stones. But the difficult issue is that it's thin benchmade, and my left stone kept hitting the thumb stud on one side (i didn't have the correct size torx bit). There are some ugly scratch marks but was able to get the blade pretty sharp.

I started with the 200-600 stones to reprofile. then 800-1000 grit, 1200-1600grit, then 1.6um-0.6um.

And i ended up stabbing myself in the thumb on the back stroke...mama always said don't play with knives
Old 07-03-2018, 1:57 PM

There is a learning curve. I hope these tips help.

Don't attempt while intoxicated ... if you do, wear cut resistant gloves! Thinking about it more, just wear the gloves. I recommend superior gloves cut resistant ones.

Ensure your fingers/ palm/ anything else is behind the "safety ridge" on the stones at all times. I can get into a rhythm and not notice my hands moving around. Also the closer you get to complete, the easier it can be to cut important stuff, tendons, veins etc. Be cautious and careful.

Mark the edge bevel with a sharpie/ layout fluid. This will ensure you are at the right angle/ apex.

Ensure you have clearance for the stones. If not remove blade from knife, if impossible to remove, reposition.

Start with a low grit to change the bevel, higher to touch up. Go on one side until there is a burr along the whole edge. Repeat on opposite side.

I use up and down diagonal motions rather than heel to toe strokes to start. Before moving to the next step I break off the burr by going heel to toe in a downward motion on alternating sides for 10 strokes.

To prevent the tip from rounding, don't bring the stone off of the tip of the blade. The stone "rolls" off the tip, and rounding occurs. I put slight pressure on the back of the stone to ensure the front doesn't start "rolling".

My progression started with the 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000, 1200/1600 then I move onto strops, 5/3.5 micron using the diamond paste and finish with 1/.05 micron diamond spray. The mirror polish really starts with the ceramic stones (1200/1600)

While stropping use light pressure, always heel to toe top of the strop to the bottom.

When done, before removing knife from clamp. I draw a piece of soft wood over the edge ever so lightly to remove any possible little burrs left from stropping.

This process can take me over 10-20 minutes for a touch up, maybe 30-45 for an initial bevel. Then presto an extremely sharp knife.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:16 PM

Kalifornia,

Thanks for the tips. I need to correctly setup my knife sharpening area. It will help with posture and not put unnecessary stress on my back. I'll look into some gloves.

I canceled the Gen3 Pro order, and keeping the GO version.