Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2018, 2:02 PM
Flintknapper Flintknapper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 8
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Help understanding a few gun laws...daughter will be visiting CA.

Hello Gentlemen,

I have searched all over the internet but still remain confused about the ever changing gun laws in your State. My apologies for that.

My Daughter is a RN and will be 'travel nursing' in California for a period of time. She has a Texas (our home State) License to Carry but I understand that is not honored. She will be traveling with two handguns and one shotgun.

My questions are as follows:

1. She has a CrewCab truck...so no lockable 'trunk'. My understanding is that the pistols must LOCKED in some type of lock-box and be completely unloaded while traveling?

2. Can the shotgun (also unloaded) be transported in just a soft gun case?

3. Does she need to dispense with the ammunition she currently has (not bring it into the State) and purchase ammo once she gets there?

4. What are the laws concerning home storage for the firearms? (can they be loaded, do they need to be locked away)? She will have one adult roommate.

I am interested in what the Law specifically says regarding each question, not in responses along the lines of "who is going to check".

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance.

Flint.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2018, 2:14 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 37,441
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

1 - yes - Penal Code 25610

2 - yes

See the wiki, http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...e=Transporting

3 - no

4 - at the state level, none; there are some city-level ordinances, but there's no way to enforce them without searches.

She may not need to be reminded, but CA hospitals are almost uniformly 'gun free zones'.
__________________
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.



Last edited by Librarian; 10-02-2018 at 2:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2018, 3:44 PM
Flintknapper Flintknapper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 8
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

^^^^^^

Thank You Sir, that was very helpful.

The 'ammunition exception would be because it only applies to residents?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2018, 3:58 PM
mshill's Avatar
mshill mshill is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,810
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintknapper View Post
^^^^^^

The 'ammunition exception would be because it only applies to residents?
That is correct. And according to the law she can actually give/sell it to you.

30314.

(a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30312.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
...
...
...
(6) A person who acquired the ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.
__________________
Quote:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2018, 4:11 PM
BeAuMaN BeAuMaN is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 515
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I know it wasn't brought up but:

... she may need to get 10 round magazines for her handguns, as standard capacity magazines (11+) aren't allowed in California. And assuming they're your run of the mill handguns, they're not allowed to have threaded barrels (for accepting muzzle devices or silencers).

Also it's generally understood that the minimum standard for a locked container for handguns is very low, and you can use soft container options, just that when the container is locked, one shouldn't be able to reach into it much, even with whole fingers. The ones with the two zippers that have overlapping padlock loops at the zipper base that you see on a lot of firearm soft cases work well for this.

Obviously though she'd want something more substantial when she's away from her handguns though.

Last edited by BeAuMaN; 10-02-2018 at 4:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-2018, 4:17 PM
CSACANNONEER's Avatar
CSACANNONEER CSACANNONEER is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 43,008
iTrader: 130 / 100%
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Hospitals are generally self proclaimed "GFZs" and their policies do NOT carry the weight of law in CA.
__________________
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
Utah CCW Instructor


Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2018, 4:18 PM
Pofoo Pofoo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 913
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

I believe that the pistol has to be unloaded in a locked container. The locked container part is not defined, so many gun cases will be ok. Does not need to be a safe or steel box. Just locked so that the pistol cannot be removed without unlocking or breaking something. Some people think a backpack with a cheapo pad lock is sufficient. The container can be on your front seat. Ammo does not need to be in a separate container, can be loaded in a magazine, just not in the pistol.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2018, 5:20 PM
Flintknapper Flintknapper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 8
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post
I know it wasn't brought up but:

... she may need to get 10 round magazines for her handguns, as standard capacity magazines (11+) aren't allowed in California. And assuming they're your run of the mill handguns, they're not allowed to have threaded barrels (for accepting muzzle devices or silencers).

Also it's generally understood that the minimum standard for a locked container for handguns is very low, and you can use soft container options, just that when the container is locked, one shouldn't be able to reach into it much, even with whole fingers. The ones with the two zippers that have overlapping padlock loops at the zipper base that you see on a lot of firearm soft cases work well for this.

Obviously though she'd want something more substantial when she's away from her handguns though.
Yes, good point. I was aware of the high-capacity magazine issue.

She has a Para Carry 9 (9mm 8+1) and a Kimber Micro Carry .380 (7+1).

Also a Mossberg shotgun (6+1) so she should be O.K. with respect to capacity restrictions.

Thanks to all who responded, it was immensely helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carry9_1.jpg (92.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg PK5.jpg (77.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg MossyFlex2.jpg (47.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Flintknapper; 10-03-2018 at 2:21 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2018, 6:53 AM
gofer gofer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Monterey County, CA
Posts: 26
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

For question 2 - long gun transport, take notice (on the link supplied by librarian), that federal GFSZ requires the case to be locked if transporting within 1000 feet of a school.

Unless I'm really out in the boonies, I almost always pass within 1000 feet of a school somewhere along my journey.

Soft case with a little lock should be okay.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-04-2018, 7:10 AM
alpha_romeo_XV's Avatar
alpha_romeo_XV alpha_romeo_XV is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego North County
Posts: 1,390
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Need pic of daughter and marital status. Asking for the too timid to ask ( I'm taken).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Blade Gunner's Avatar
Blade Gunner Blade Gunner is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,347
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintknapper View Post
Hello Gentlemen,

I have searched all over the internet but still remain confused about the ever changing gun laws in your State. My apologies for that.

My Daughter is a RN and will be 'travel nursing' in California for a period of time. She has a Texas (our home State) License to Carry but I understand that is not honored. She will be traveling with two handguns and one shotgun.

My questions are as follows:

1. She has a CrewCab truck...so no lockable 'trunk'. My understanding is that the pistols must LOCKED in some type of lock-box and be completely unloaded while traveling?

2. Can the shotgun (also unloaded) be transported in just a soft gun case?

3. Does she need to dispense with the ammunition she currently has (not bring it into the State) and purchase ammo once she gets there?

4. What are the laws concerning home storage for the firearms? (can they be loaded, do they need to be locked away)? She will have one adult roommate.

I am interested in what the Law specifically says regarding each question, not in responses along the lines of "who is going to check".

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance.

Flint.
Tell her to stay clear of San Francisco. If a properly stored gun is stolen from an unattended vehicle, the police will arrest the owner. Many other CA cities have place of residency secure storage requirements. While there is no way to check, once again if a gun is stolen and there is no secure storage in the residence, they owner may be charged.
__________________
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it all wrong.

Last edited by Blade Gunner; 10-04-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Pofoo Pofoo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 913
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Tell her to stay clear of San Francisco. If a properly stored gun is stolen from an unattended vehicle, the police will arrest the owner. Many other CA cities have place of residency secure storage requirements. While there is no way to check, once again if a gun is stolen and there is no secure storage in the residence, they owner may be charged.
Tell that to Kate Steinle.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-04-2018, 11:23 AM
broadside's Avatar
broadside broadside is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 386
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Hospitals are generally self proclaimed "GFZs" and their policies do NOT carry the weight of law in CA.
She can't carry here, so it is of no matter.

Unless you are thinking she will be storing them there while she works, which is likely against employer policy. Most traveling medical folks rent short term or live mobile (RV, etc) so they have a legal method of storing at their residence.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2018, 5:33 PM
Flintknapper Flintknapper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 8
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
She can't carry here, so it is of no matter.

Unless you are thinking she will be storing them there while she works, which is likely against employer policy. Most traveling medical folks rent short term or live mobile (RV, etc) so they have a legal method of storing at their residence.
Yes, as always she will rent an apartment or residence. She always has her two Dachshunds with her as well.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-11-2018, 1:01 PM
Flintknapper Flintknapper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 8
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
Need pic of daughter and marital status. Asking for the too timid to ask ( I'm taken).
Do they not already have girls in California?

She is single. Too busy traveling to settle down right now.

She is vacationing in New Zealand as we speak.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-11-2018, 1:25 PM
RobinGoodfellow's Avatar
RobinGoodfellow RobinGoodfellow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 584
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

“1. She has a CrewCab truck...so no lockable 'trunk'. My understanding is that the pistols must LOCKED in some type of lock-box and be completely unloaded while traveling?”

Please note that the locked case must NOT e attached to the vehicle—so no glove box or center console. IIRC, people have got into trouble having a locked case attached to the seat mount with a cable lock (since that made it “attached to the vehicle”).

But IANAL and YMMV.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-11-2018, 2:14 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 37,441
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGoodfellow View Post
“1. She has a CrewCab truck...so no lockable 'trunk'. My understanding is that the pistols must LOCKED in some type of lock-box and be completely unloaded while traveling?”

Please note that the locked case must NOT e attached to the vehicle—so no glove box or center console. IIRC, people have got into trouble having a locked case attached to the seat mount with a cable lock (since that made it “attached to the vehicle”).

But IANAL and YMMV.
Once there was some question about this - no longer.

'Attached to the vehicle' does NOT make that container a/the 'utility compartment' of PC 16850.

PC 25410
Quote:
25140.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (b), a person shall, when leaving a handgun in an unattended vehicle,
lock the handgun in the vehicle’s trunk,
lock the handgun in a locked container and place the container out of plain view, or
lock the handgun in a locked container that is permanently affixed to the vehicle’s interior and not in plain view.
Effective Jan 1 2018.
__________________
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.


Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-11-2018, 5:26 PM
Relativist Relativist is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 134
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintknapper View Post
Do they not already have girls in California?

She is single. Too busy traveling to settle down right now.

She is vacationing in New Zealand as we speak.
The trick is finding a gal in Cali that isn't brainwashed by the anti-gun nuts. I wish more fathers (I'm one too) would teach their daughters about firearms as much as they teach their boys.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-11-2018, 9:34 PM
priusron priusron is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 38
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

When I am in California, I don’t own any weapons. I use a cane sometimes and can use it for self defense.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-12-2018, 8:14 AM
BAJ475's Avatar
BAJ475 BAJ475 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Butte County, California
Posts: 1,842
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativist View Post
The trick is finding a gal in Cali that isn't brainwashed by the anti-gun nuts. I wish more fathers (I'm one too) would teach their daughters about firearms as much as they teach their boys.
Probably not as difficult as you might think. A few weeks back, I was in Best Buy getting a new cell phone. When the young lady (early 20s) helping me ask for my ID, I asked if my Enhanced Idaho Permit would do? (They look like a Drivers' License) I said that it was government issued, had my picture and my address. When I showed it to her, she said: "Mine's paper." Meaning that she has a CA CCW. The discussion then turned to what we carried. She said that her carry gun is a XD subcompact. When I said that my favorite was my PPQ, she responded that was her dad's favorite too. When I frequent my local range, there are more and more young women buying guns and tacking their CCW classes.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-12-2018, 8:21 AM
BAJ475's Avatar
BAJ475 BAJ475 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Butte County, California
Posts: 1,842
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priusron View Post
When I am in California, I don’t own any weapons. I use a cane sometimes and can use it for self defense.
Not a weapon? When I was taking the class for my Enhanced Idaho permit the instructor noted that the range sells canes. He explained that as a medical device, it is one weapon you can carry aboard commercial aircraft. They also offer a class on how to use them.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-13-2018, 4:54 PM
Flintknapper Flintknapper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 8
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativist View Post
The trick is finding a gal in Cali that isn't brainwashed by the anti-gun nuts. I wish more fathers (I'm one too) would teach their daughters about firearms as much as they teach their boys.
Bound to be some in Northern California?

My Daughter was born and raised in Texas. Grew up on a ranch here, so hunting, fishing, shooting, camping, etc....are all second nature to her.

LOTS of women in Texas have a License to Carry and we also have the 'Motorist Protection Act' (which allows any person not otherwise prohibited to carry a firearm in their vehicle...fully loaded for protection).

A little different culture here (Texas) with respect to gun ownership and the freedom to actually use and carry them.

Just found out when she goes to Cali for her work (travel nurse) she can't take her 4 oz. container of pepper spray. So...I need to get her a 2.5 oz. version. Sheeeeesh!

Small wonder folks from California are moving to Texas in droves.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-13-2018, 5:02 PM
Flintknapper Flintknapper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 8
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Not a weapon? When I was taking the class for my Enhanced Idaho permit the instructor noted that the range sells canes. He explained that as a medical device, it is one weapon you can carry aboard commercial aircraft. They also offer a class on how to use them.
^^^^^ Correct. And the cane (with some training) can be an effective weapon, but in tight/crowded quarters becomes less useful for all but the highly trained. Still.... better than nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-15-2018, 6:16 PM
SoCalFlyer SoCalFlyer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: TX, soon SoCal
Posts: 5
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

If she’s filling in in a hospital in SoCal we may end up working together - I just recently saw a memo about out of town coverage.

A (sad) Texas transplant myself...counting down days until I’m out of here.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Flintknapper Flintknapper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 8
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFlyer View Post
If she’s filling in in a hospital in SoCal we may end up working together - I just recently saw a memo about out of town coverage.

A (sad) Texas transplant myself...counting down days until I’m out of here.
No, not SoCal this time. She has been there before.

I saw several sites on her list...but don't know if she has chosen any yet.

Looks like she is planning on going to Northern California this go 'round.

Redding, Sacramento, Grass Valley.

She has also worked in Oregon and Washington State. Likes to hike and camp in Utah, Colorado, Oregon. So probably is figuring on working somewhere that is fairly central to all of those places. SoCal is a LONG drive to just about anywhere else.

She also likes to travel/vacation (sometimes out of the country) when not working and off the top of my head has been to:

Alaska
Hawaii
Mexico (numerous places)
Puerto Rico
South America
Canada (numerous places)
Thailand
Iceland
Bahamas
Nova Scotia
Europe: (Copenhagen, Denmark…Berlin, Germany…Amsterdam, Netherlands)
New Zealand.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-17-2018, 9:09 AM
Sam1234's Avatar
Sam1234 Sam1234 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 103
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Here is some good info on CA gun laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-17-2018, 9:41 AM
46knuck 46knuck is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Peoples republic of Kalifornia, below Yosemite NP.
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Welcome to the Peoples republic of Kalifornia Flint, where the criminal rights trump the victim rights. Also unless you kill somebody you just get a ticket.
__________________
Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:44 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.