Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

View Poll Results: What to do?
Keep at them. They'll fix it. 19 20.21%
Give up and shoot it. It's not that bad 26 27.66%
Sell it and get a real Marlin. 49 52.13%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2017, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
Yet you posted after reading it. Your pathetic!
You're* also coming across as a pathetic figure in a tale of Remington apologies. Remington, by any stretch of the imagination, is a shell of what it once was.

I don't hate Marlin and I don't hate you. I wouldn't spend my money on the product and I wouldn't spend my time here if I felt that way. However, here are the facts:

1. I, with my own money, bought a Marlin based on what I heard on the internet about them being fixed.
2. The internet was wrong. I got a rifle that was not shootable and never should have left the factory.
3. Mistakes happen.
4. Remington/Marlin sent a box of parts that didn't fit and were literally tossed in the trash as unusable.
5. Rifle sent in for repair to Remlin. It took two months with zero contact. They only repaired one of the many issues and in two months managed to fit a stock less poorly. They shipped it back in a box that says on the outside "Not suitable for shipping." No shipping notification provided, either, it just showed up.
6. Sent the rifle back to Remlin. They replaced the front sight and lever. They didn't rebarrel but said to shoot it. Barrel looks like hell. They assured me it was safe to shoot.
7. Shot rifle. Vertical point of impact shift at 50 yards 9 plus inches across loads.
8. Rifle going back to Remlin.

There are good things about this rifle. The bluing is really nice, the metal fit is really nice, the action runs really smooth, etc. Do I think this is true about all of the products? Nope. Is it true of this one? Yep. Is that a hallmark of quality when you have wildly inconsistent product QC? Nope.

You keep spouting off about how great your Remington shoots. I'm sure it does. What factory model are they chambering in 6mm PPC these days? Tikka, Ruger and Begara are the only serious game when it comes to factory rifles out of the box under 1k anymore. Remington is going bankrupt for goodness sakes. Only someone who is a Remington fanboy could say that Remington is a solid company making a decent product.

For Sale: Canik TP9SA, S&W Pre-lock 617, Various Pre lock S&Ws, USFA Engraved gun - NorCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 12-03-2017, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
I have never seen a point of impact shift 9+ vertical inches at 50 yards. I know shift is normal. That's not a normal amount.
Yeah that can happen 44mag does the same thing when you jump that much in bullet weight and velocity.

The 300gr 45/70 is a flatter shooting load than the 405gr load. Usually the 300gr bullet is going 1800fps or so and the 405gr is going 1200fps or so in most factory 45/70 loads

You can trash the new Marlin/Remington all you want but it won't change the way different loads impact target no matter who made your 45/70.

Last edited by TMB 1; 12-03-2017 at 3:59 PM..
Old 12-03-2017, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Yeah that can happen 44mag does the same thing when you jump that much in bullet weight and velocity.

The 300gr 45/70 is a flatter shooting load than the 405gr load. Usually the 300gr bullet is going 1800fps or so and the 405gr is going 1200fps or so in most factory 45/70 loads

You can trash the new Marlin/Remington all you want but it won't change the way different loads impact target no matter who made your 45/70.
If that's the norm rather than the exception for these, then that's good to know. Thanks.

For Sale: Canik TP9SA, S&W Pre-lock 617, Various Pre lock S&Ws, USFA Engraved gun - NorCal

Quote:
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 12-03-2017, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

John Browning
In the old days they threaded on a buttpad wrapped the stock with tape and fit it using a belt sander.
Today they bolt 30 buttpad to a fixture and sand them to fit all at the same time.
In the old days they used decent wood. Today they use laminates and the dark colored glue actually looks better than the white wood. The problem with laminates is the glue is so much tougher than the wood that when you sand it the wood will pop out in small chunks long before the glue is sanded to the correct size. The net result is over sanding to avoid pieces missing.
This is modern factory practices to keep the pricing down so they don't charge you the $2000 it would cost for the same gun as produced 40 years ago.
A brand new Chevy truck in 1969 ran $2000 and today most people are paying that for a set of rims.
In the pictures you posted 7 pages ago the only issue was the front sight coming from someone with 29 rifles sitting in my living room with 4 reloading presses in my kitchen.

Jimmy's post was pathetic because he proclaimed I was on his ignore list yet he read my post which everyone here but him realizes can't be done if I was on his ignore list.

And just so you know the Remingtons of today have better clearances and runouts than those of yesteryear. The barrels still suck the stocks are plastic and the triggers are too heavy but the actions are better.

The picture shows 3 unfired Remington 700 actions sitting in my living room. If they were all junk I wouldn't have bought them and I have sent literally thousands of rounds downrange yearly and even managed to win some fake wood trophies doing it.

I fully realize you are upset that today's $500 guns aren't of the same fit and finish as those of the past but go buy a $2000 truck and let me know how that works for you.

To the experienced eye the only issue is the front sight and yes that is the norm for shooting ammo with that much weight variation in a lever gun.
That's why I asked you to post groups.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 02-10-2018 at 6:58 PM..
Old 12-04-2017, 8:24 AM

My experience with factory and handloads is the same.

Was at the range with 1895CB a week ago. Shot 45/70-405's and some of the new Hornady Leverevolution 325gr. Only had a chance to shoot a few of each at 50 yards; ~12" difference in vertical/elevation between the two...

Ultramax 45-70-405 = 1050fps per manufacturer
Hornady Leverevolution 325gr = 2050 per manufacturer

In the past I shot a lot of 44mag. I found similar results with varied bullet weights and velocities(mostly handloads).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post

Old 12-05-2017, 5:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Here is a JM just went up

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1406109

A little overpriced for me, but a good honest rifle. If you could get it for 4 or 450 that would be a fair price.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 6:49 PM

Default Meow.

Mauser from any barrel at Big 5 any day.
Old 12-05-2017, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
John Browning
In the old days they threaded on a buttpad wrapped the stock with tape and fit it using a belt sander.
Today they bolt 30 buttpad to a fixture and sand them to fit all at the same time.
In the old days they used decent wood. Today they use laminates and the dark colored glue actually looks better than the white wood. The problem with laminates is the glue is so much tougher than the wood that when you sand it the wood will pop out in small chunks long before the glue is sanded to the correct size. The net result is over sanding to avoid pieces missing.
This is modern factory practices to keep the pricing down so they don't charge you the $2000 it would cost for the same gun as produced 40 years ago.
A brand new Chevy truck in 1969 ran $2000 and today most people are paying that for a set of rims.
In the pictures you posted 7 pages ago the only issue was the front sight coming from someone with 29 rifles sitting in my living room with 4 reloading presses in my kitchen.

Jimmy's post was pathetic because he proclaimed I was on his ignore list yet he read my post which everyone here but him realizes can't be done if I was on his ignore list.

And just so you know the Remingtons of today have better clearances and runouts than those of yesteryear. The barrels still suck the stocks are plastic and the triggers are too heavy but the actions are better.

The picture shows 3 unfired Remington 700 actions sitting in my living room. If they were all junk I wouldn't have bought them and I have sent literally thousands of rounds downrange yearly and even managed to win some fake wood trophies doing it.

I fully realize you are upset that today's $500 guns aren't of the same fit and finish as those of the past but go buy a $2000 truck and let me know how that works for you.

To the experienced eye the only issue is the front sight and yes that is the norm for shooting ammo with that much weight variation in a lever gun.
That's why I asked you to post groups.
Those look like some really nice rifles. Those aren't Remington rifles any more than this is a Honda car.

I think I've pretty much run my course here. People are going to feel what they are going to feel. When it comes down to it, I've shown the real deal, no filter, and can prove any claim I've made.

After my experience with the new Remington, I've got my eye out for a JM 1894 in .44 mag and an 1895G in .45-70. Some people will think I'm an idiot and do otherwise, which doesn't bother me a bit.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flouncer View Post
Large dandelions inside of a box on Wednesday.
Old 12-05-2017, 8:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flouncer View Post
Yugo supply dried up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene