Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Alum (the stuff in a styptic pencil to treat razor cuts)
Processing water through flocculation and making it drinkable is not a new concept and I've been preaching it for years now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocculation

I can clean cuts/scrapes with alum solution too.
An easy to store/use disinfectant.
I make some concentrate in a cup of warm water and pour onto wet wipes to get really clean (sans soap).
Small amounts used won't harm streams/rivers while camping.
Safer than bleach for everyone involved won't burn skin.
Alum has no after-taste/flavor/smell.
Alum treated water will be very healthy/clean.
*Treating water with alum requires no energy. No fires or sunlight needed.
Been a while, so Iím not up to speed on the latest and greatest on this stuff.

Back in the day in the .MIL, we tested something called Chlor-Floc. The purpose of the flocculant was to clump bigger organics/tannins/algae/etc that werenít pre-filtered out, but it didnít kill the bacteria (fecal coliform) by itself. That was what the chlorine (bleach or calcium hypochlorite) was for. It was harder for chorine to kill bacteria in murky water than in clearer water, hence the flocculant, but it was really the chlorine/chlorine residual the killed the bacteria.

Looks like they still have FM 21-10 (http://olive-drab.com/archive/fm21-10.pdf) around, which was what we used as a basis to set up tent cities. Or FEMA camps...

How does alum purify/disinfect?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Old 01-17-2018, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastro View Post
The purpose of the flocculant was to clump bigger organics/tannins/algae/etc that weren’t pre-filtered out, but it didn’t kill the bacteria (fecal coliform) by itself. That was what the chlorine (bleach or calcium hypochlorite) was for. It was harder for chorine to kill bacteria in murky water than in clearer water, hence the flocculant, but it was really the chlorine/chlorine residual the killed the bacteria.

How does alum purify/disinfect?
You're correct. It doesn't disinfect. It's just a flocculant, so it will help bind and settle out suspended solids from water, which is useful in purification, but it's not a substitute for disinfection. That's why I like cheap gravity filters using GAC or a UF filter. Alum would be a good first step if the water has high TSS, to avoid clogging your filters, but likely not needed unless you're pulling muddy surface water.

I should note that bacteria and viruses found attached to suspended solids can be trapped in the flocc and settle out, but that's not the same as destroying these constituents. And not enough will likely be removed to meet acceptable water quality through the use of a flocculant alone.

Last edited by TheReluctantCraftstronaut; 01-17-2018 at 7:46 AM.. Reason: Added clarification
Old 01-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

No thread jack intended here, but...
More on ALUM
3rd world study as an example:
http://archive.unu.edu/unupress/food...e/8F062E08.htm
My origional source was a missionary that worked in Bangladesh for 10 years.
They used alum all of the time for treating water.
Mixed it in, set it and forget it.
She also said she used a large copper caldron for storage and just added treated water to it. Copper prevented bacterial/algae growth.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 AM

in a bind there is a way to filter any water to make it safe, we are talking about your local creek or percolation pond water.
Quote:
deionization filters cartridge will help reduce numerous contaminants from the water in your home, including nitrates, scale, heavy metals, some radioactive isotopes and virtually all Total Dissolve Solids (TDS)
the filter cartridge runs about $54 and to prolong it's life run it in series with a good mechanical filter like a bunch of clean t-shirts, activated carbon (super cheap online) and the deionization filter.