Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Default Shooting improvement

I had to add three guns to my CCW this morning. I did have a few flyers but was mostly happy with how I did. Mainly because just last year I wasnít shooting that well. My secret to shooting better has been practice and training. Many many trips to the range. Guns used, Glock 19, Dan Wesson C-Bob, Springfield Loaded Target 9mm. The instructor stopped his class so they could take a look at my target. it was easier punching out that hole than the star at the fair tho. 45ACP just rips paper to shreds.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:50 PM

What distances are required and how quickly?
I have no clue since there's now way in heck that the counties around me are going to start a ccw program for the average person unless the courts force them to.
Nice shooting though

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 07-15-2021, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWDHD? View Post
What distances are required and how quickly?
I have no clue since there's now way in heck that the counties around me are going to start a ccw program for the average person unless the courts force them to.
Nice shooting though
It was just 7 yards. No timeframe.
Old 07-15-2021, 1:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FWIW if you really want to excel in shooting, dry fire practice every day. You will see incredible results. Perfect practice makes perfect!

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 07-15-2021, 2:44 PM

Buy a hand gripper. You can double your hand strength in about 10 days.

It will improve your shooting dramatically.
Old 07-15-2021, 3:39 PM

get a nice gripper and practice if u have spare time u will improve
Old 07-15-2021, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

Nice shooting.

Unless you shoot a lot which may require getting into reloading. Focus on shooting the Glock 19 and keep the other two primarily for range / plinking / fun shooting.

Its easier to master one pistol than being just average with three. JMHO after 50+ years of shooting
Old 07-16-2021, 1:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn't worry about flyers at seven yards with double-ought nine pellet 12 gauge.
Old 07-17-2021, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
I wouldn't worry about flyers at seven yards with double-ought nine pellet 12 gauge.
9mm and 45ACP.
Old 07-17-2021, 1:35 PM

Lucky you on CCW shooting requirement. Here in Sac County you must pass same course as a private security guard. 50 rounds of various distances, various postures, strong and weak hand and all timed. Must put 40 rounds in 7 ring. Tough on us old guys, particularly weak hand shooting.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:30 PM

A few years ago I bought a Mantisx training aid. It really helped. It is a fun training aid.
Haven't used it in a couple of years but I am always working on what I learned. i.e. "trigger pull"

https://mantisx.com

Last edited by squeeze; 07-17-2021 at 10:35 PM..
Old 07-18-2021, 8:56 AM

I remember reading about eye/gaz-tracking glasses specifically developed for shooting, but can't find the URL now. Many eye and gaze tracking solutions have been developed, but not so many tailored to marksmanship. Especially in the era of high ammo prices and reduced supply, whatever can be done to maximize the efficacy of training is especially beneficial.
Old 07-21-2021, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
9mm and 45ACP.
I think you missed the punchline...

Quote:
It was just 7 yards. No timeframe.
Seven yards and no timeframe (slow fire) - work towards less than 2-inches. 5-yards would be 1-inch (say a 1-inch square).

Rather than just plinking one a single target, I would recommend he Dot Torture Drill drill... This hopefully adds some flavor to the practice session.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

_
Old 07-21-2021, 7:35 AM

I can punch out a bullseye at 7 yards.

The last year im working on defensive shooting, both eyes open, getting on target quickly from a draw, and hitting multiple targets quickly.

Honestly it feels like the thousands of rounds I shot getting good at punching out the center in slow fire was largely a waste! Im unlearning a lot of static fire and it's challenging.

I wish it was easier to find ranges that allow drawing from a holster and fast fire. Feels like we're training in bad habits at the static range sometimes.
Old 07-21-2021, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomReloaded View Post
I can punch out a bullseye at 7 yards.

The last year im working on defensive shooting, both eyes open, getting on target quickly from a draw, and hitting multiple targets quickly.

Honestly it feels like the thousands of rounds I shot getting good at punching out the center in slow fire was largely a waste! Im unlearning a lot of static fire and it's challenging.

I wish it was easier to find ranges that allow drawing from a holster and fast fire. Feels like we're training in bad habits at the static range sometimes.
I would agree with you that the rules of the majority of static indoor ranges donít do good for developing our skills.

That said - training slow fire is not actually a waste. Training exclusively on it is bad. This mistake I did, too (yeah, indoor rules). For example, Steve Anderson and Max Michel warm up with slow fire group shooting before any more dynamic drills, etc.

That said - the standard for USPSA shooting, as I would hear, is 1-inch at 10-yards. This they say is foundation to more precise dynamic shooting.

Rob Leatham, Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, etc. have a standard of less than 5-inches at 25-yards (in their classes). This presupposes 8-inch groups at speed for that distance, ie., if you cannot do it slow, then you canít do it fastÖ

_

Last edited by rodralig; 07-21-2021 at 8:12 AM..
Old 07-21-2021, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGunner View Post
Lucky you on CCW shooting requirement. Here in Sac County you must pass same course as a private security guard. 50 rounds of various distances, various postures, strong and weak hand and all timed. Must put 40 rounds in 7 ring. Tough on us old guys, particularly weak hand shooting.
I'd love to give that a try with an AR pistol
Old 07-22-2021, 8:01 AM

Quote:
My secret to shooting better has been practice and training.
That's like saying my secret to not dying of thirst is to drink water.
Old 07-22-2021, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
Nice shooting.

Unless you shoot a lot which may require getting into reloading. Focus on shooting the Glock 19 and keep the other two primarily for range / plinking / fun shooting.

Its easier to master one pistol than being just average with three. JMHO after 50+ years of shooting
^ So many times and they are true words.

For most people, trying to switch up guns according to some anticipated scenario is like trying to predict when and how and against whom you might have to draw and fire. There is no way to do that where it passes a critical thinking challenge.

The quoted post follows the better to be master of one thing than mediocre at many philosophy.

On another note, you can get a blow back airsoft for the Glock that for practical purposes is identical to what you'd carry, you can shoot it every day without dry firing (a carboard box filled with package stuffing) and go through the whole drill including mag changes. They beat any laser or smartphone app training system out there.

While there are super people who can switch between completely different gun types, why introduce that variable on something you might need to depend on to protect your life? Get as good as you can with one gun, carry that. Then make sure your knowledge and decision making and judgement are top notch.

Beware of Sealitis and following the big name experts because while they know how to shoot and do it a levels few others attain, how many of them ever shot at anything other than paper or metal targets?
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.