Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-01-2017, 6:16 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
I will update as soon as I find out what's going on. Glad I didn't wait until my COE was almost invalid to do this, who knows how long it will take them to update it?
Updating, new COE issued today via CFARS, it took four days from my application date to issue. Easy Peasy, print it out, done. Wish we could do the same for our FFL03 renewals.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 12-02-2017, 11:44 PM
Calguns Addict

For those that have done the dance, recommendations for the best order to do things?

-Fill out the Livescan request form on the COE application and take that to a
Livescan location.

-Mail in the COE and FFL03 application at the same time... or send COE through CFARS.

When should I mail the copies of the FFL03 application to the CLEO?

-Wait for COE and FFL03 to arrive in mail

Anything I am missing?

Thanks

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 12-03-2017, 5:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
For those that have done the dance, recommendations for the best order to do things?

Livescan location. Yes. You'll need the ATI number (provided by the Livescan operator) from the bottom of your LIVESCAN copy to complete the COE.

-Mail in the COE and FFL03 application at the same time... or send COE through CFARS. COE through CFARS: FFL through mail.

When should I mail the copies of the FFL03 application to the CLEO? When you mail the original to the BATFE.

-Wait for COE and FFL03 to arrive in mail. COE comes by email notification and downloads through CFARS...Print your own. FFL comes by snail mail.

Anything I am missing? Sign and date all copies of the FFL APPLICATION. No photo required for FFL03.

Thanks

Last edited by Dvrjon; 12-03-2017 at 8:55 AM.. Reason: Clarified signing the FFL03 APPLICATION.
Old 12-03-2017, 6:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver

Anything I am missing? Sign and date all copies of the FFL. No photo required for FFL03.

Note that you DO NOT sign the original license you get from the ATF.
The coast of California
Must be somewhere over here, over here
Greatful Dead
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 12-03-2017, 7:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Livescan location.

-Mail in the COE and FFL03 application at the same time... or send COE through CFARS.

-Wait for COE and FFL03 to arrive in mail

Anything I am missing?

Thanks
When your FFL03 arrives, do not sign or date your FFL03 and make at least 10 copies of the license, stash original FFL03 & original COE away someplace secure. Use copies for any transactions you make. Sign and date FFL03 copies as needed...

/EDIT/ hanko nailed it...

36 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A of treachery...

Last edited by 1bulletBarney; 12-03-2017 at 7:04 AM..
Old 12-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks everyone, once I have everything I will post how long it took.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 12-03-2017, 1:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Only reason to do both at the same time is expediency... you could just as easily mail the 03 application today. The two are completely separate and go to different agencies.

Quote:
Read the instructions... The area of the application that you sign states "I have...."... past tense, meaning the copy goes to your CLEO before you send a copy to the BATFE.
Realistically, everyone drops them in the mail at the same time... or some like to drop it off at the front counter of the local PD.

While not required, I include a short cover letter with my renewals (and the original application):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-03-2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Note that you DO NOT sign the original license you get from the ATF.
THIS THIS THIS!

Receive your original, scan it, print a bunch of copies, sign the copies, and send them to places you deal with online to get logged into their system for "dealer" discounts... Brownell's and Midway used to do it, I haven't actually used my 03 for discounts in a long time.

When you travel out of state or buy from a local dealer, they will want to witness you sign your cert. Take your original with you, and take copies to sign and leave with them for their files. Same for private party sales.

I treat the original and copies like ammo and dummy rounds when dry-firing.
I scan the original and it goes into the safe.
I print copies, and BEFORE the original is brought anywhere near them, I rubber stamp "COPY" onto the copy so I don't mistakenly sign the original (ya, modern HP scanners and printers are pretty good)

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:42 AM

Is there and easy way to find the most recent links/information for getting FFL03 + CoE? There are quite a few in this 28 page thread and it is a bit difficult to tell what is the most recent and the order in which to do things.

Thanks,
Mudrigg
Old 12-04-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post

When you travel out of state or buy from a local dealer, they will want to witness you sign your cert. Take your original with you, and take copies to sign and leave with them for their files. Same for private party sales.
Why do you want to bring the original to the dealer rather than just a copy? Just wondering.
Old 12-04-2017, 3:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrigg View Post
Is there and easy way to find the most recent links/information for getting FFL03 + CoE? There are quite a few in this 28 page thread and it is a bit difficult to tell what is the most recent and the order in which to do things.

Thanks,
Mudrigg
The major steps are just above your post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...postcount=1082

COE process is here: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert-eligibility
FFL03 Application/instructions are here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/instruc...rearms-license

Last edited by Dvrjon; 12-04-2017 at 3:59 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 9:24 AM
Calguns Addict

It was $93 for the livescan.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:19 PM

ATF charged my credit card for FFL03 on 9/22/17. I think I put it in the mail two days earlier on 9/20/17. Approved approximately two months later on 11/21/17. Received in the mail on 11/29/17. Just in time for me to go to the Phoenix gun show 11/30/17 to 12/3/17, though I didn't buy anything.

Got Livescan and applied for COE on 9/21/17. Issued COE on 11/6/17.
Old 12-04-2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userformerlyknownasfitty View Post
Why do you want to bring the original to the dealer rather than just a copy? Just wondering.
Some may want to see it and make their own copy for you to sign.

Quote:
Old 12-04-2017, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They may want to confirm there isn't any "whiteout" or other alteration on it.
Old 12-05-2017, 6:35 AM
CGSSA Associate

There's really no reason for the seller to see the original. If they have any doubts, all they have to do is call ezcheck for a manual verification. 1-877-560-2435. My original never leaves the safe after I've scanned it, and I've never had a problem.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

"Our policy should not be informed by our collective outrage about one man's conduct." AG Kamala Harris referring to San Francisco's sanctuary policy and 7 time convicted felon and illegal alien Jose Ines Garcia Zarate .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9CA
...Nor may we relegate the bearing of arms to a “second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees that we have held to be incorporated into the Due Process Clause.”
Old 12-05-2017, 7:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
THIS THIS THIS!

Receive your original, scan it, print a bunch of copies, sign the copies, and send them to places you deal with online to get logged into their system for "dealer" discounts... Brownell's and Midway used to do it, I haven't actually used my 03 for discounts in a long time.

I treat the original and copies like ammo and dummy rounds when dry-firing.
I scan the original and it goes into the safe.
I print copies, and BEFORE the original is brought anywhere near them, I rubber stamp "COPY" onto the copy so I don't mistakenly sign the original (ya, modern HP scanners and printers are pretty good)
I've had a C&R since the mid-1990's and I've used it plenty, both in person at a dealer as well as ordering guns on line. Over that time, no dealer or private party buyer or seller has ever asked to see the original...it stays in the gun safe. A dozen copies or so are in both cars plus a few extra copies in my daytimer. All are black-and-white copies...no one's ever asked for a color version, so there's no need to write "COPY" on the copy.

If my transaction is not FTF, I do write "Not valid for face-to-face transactions" in red on the license.

Quote:
I wonder about that also.

Quote:
Some may want to see it and make their own copy for you to sign.
Never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
They may want to confirm there isn't any "whiteout" or other alteration on it.
Also never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by six seven tango View Post
There's really no reason for the seller to see the original. If they have any doubts, all they have to do is call ezcheck for a manual verification. 1-877-560-2435. My original never leaves the safe after I've scanned it, and I've never had a problem.
EZ-Check is better online as you can print it out and take to the post office or other shipper. There's also a pic of the original on my phone. ATF advised a year or more ago that fax'ed or emailed legible copies of an ffl were acceptable for a licensee to transfer the weapon...some old fart ffl's simply ignore that ruling and want a hard copy.
The coast of California
Greatful Dead
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain

Last edited by -hanko; 12-05-2017 at 2:37 PM..
Old 12-05-2017, 7:47 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:

EZ-Check is better online as you can print it out and take to the post office or other shipper.
Unless something has changed and ATF hasn't updated their web page, EZCheck online is not available for 03's or 06's. That's why I posted the phone number.

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/
Quote:
FFL eZ Check does not validate Type 03 (Collectors of Curios and Relics) and Type 06 (Manufacturer of Ammunition) licenses. All attempts to check the validity of Type 03 and Type 06 licenses will result in an error message, even though the licenses may be valid. An FFL should not use this error message as reason to deny dealing with a Type 03 licensee.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

"Our policy should not be informed by our collective outrage about one man's conduct." AG Kamala Harris referring to San Francisco's sanctuary policy and 7 time convicted felon and illegal alien Jose Ines Garcia Zarate .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9CA
...Nor may we relegate the bearing of arms to a “second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees that we have held to be incorporated into the Due Process Clause.”
Old 12-05-2017, 8:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by six seven tango View Post
Unless something has changed and ATF hasn't updated their web page, EZCheck online is not available for 03's or 06's. That's why I posted the phone number.

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/
You are correct. I use EZ Check for regular FFL's; I get an email or sms copy of the license if I'm working C&R to / from another C&R licensee.
The coast of California
Greatful Dead
Mark Twain
Old 12-05-2017, 1:28 PM

glad to see mine isnt the only one taking more than a couple weeks, i was starting to worry
Old 12-05-2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
I've had a C&R since the mid-1990's and I've used it plenty, both in person at a dealer as well as ordering guns on line. Over that time, no dealer or private party buyer or seller has ever asked to see the original...it stays in the gun safe. A dozen copies or so are in both cars plus a few extra copies in my daytimer. All are black-and-white copies...no one's ever asked for a color version, so there's no need to write "COPY" on the copy.
OK cool... I haven't used mine at a dealer so I didn't know personally... going by what I was told here years ago.

I stamp my copies "COPY" so *I* don't confuse them with the original.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2017, 12:42 AM

Sent in both forms on 11/21/17. Applied for COE through CFARS. Nothing heard yet
Old 12-06-2017, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

With holidays coming up, and probably more than normal applying, I expect a longer wait.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
With holidays coming up, and probably more than normal applying, I expect a longer wait.
Yeah that's understandable. I'm leaving the country for the month so hopefully it will all be done upon my return.
Old 12-08-2017, 4:23 PM

Hello everyone, I have a question.

Do I need to mail the Part B ( Responsible Person Questionnaire) of the application to CLEO?
The instruction #4 says Part A.

Should I mail it by certified mail or regular mail?

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-08-2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Jonas View Post
Hello everyone, I have a question.

Do I need to mail the Part B ( Responsible Person Questionnaire) of the application to CLEO?
The instruction #4 says Part A.

Should I mail it by certified mail or regular mail?

Thank you in advance.
Part A, regular mail is fine.
You can even walk into the station, hand it to the counter person, and tell them that it is for the Chief or Sheriff.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2017, 1:08 PM

Great, thank you Cokebottle.
Old 12-09-2017, 4:46 PM

Just finished / submitted my 03FFL application, and COE paper work today.

For those in the Contra Costa area looking for info I completed the Live Scan at the UPS store in Alamo (3000-F Danville Blvd, Alamo, CA 94507). Total out the door was $107; I'm sure you can find cheaper but they're open on Saturday's. Very friendly and professional; only took about 15 minutes.

COE application was very straightforward, and should only take about 20 minutes to complete once the Live Scan portion is finished.

03 application took about 40 minutes start to finish after proofing, printing, and signing. Since I'm in the W.C. area I submitted my duplicate copy of the application, and questionnaire, to CLEO Tom Chaplin (1666 North Main Street, Walnut Creek, CA 94596).

In total for the Live Scan, and 03 FFL license, I've spent $137.

Hopefully everything passes through smoothly.

Good luck

The opposite belief, correlation proves causation (typically held by anti-2nd amendment individuals) is a logical fallacy by which two events that occur together are claimed to have a cause-and-effect relationship.
Old 12-11-2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokarevman View Post
Same situation.
Livescan on October 9th, applied that same day though CFARS.
My COE was issued on the 10th. . It probably went super fast because I already had a COE which had expired two years ago.

Mailed FFL03 paperwork on the (October) 9th as well.
ATF cashed the check on Oct 16th.
Still waiting for packet to arrive.
FYI:
Today I finally received my FFL03 in my mailbox.
Took two months and two days.
Old 12-11-2017, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

Believe my 03 is in the mailbox... I got the USPS informed delivery and they sent a scan of large envelope from FFLC with a certificate looking thing peeking through the clear address window, hopefully it's it!!
Old 12-12-2017, 6:55 AM

sent ffl off late Oct. just got a letter yesterday saying app. was incomplete and highlighted the 2 things i needed to fill in. Put it back in the mail already. bummer that it taking so long. Hope its not another month before i get it. They had already assigned a number looks like though. sTill havent heard from COE, sent that off mid Nov.
Old 12-12-2017, 3:03 PM

C&R - mailed in both the application on 12/12/17.
COE - Got live scan 12/12/17 n submitted to CFARS on 12/12/17.
Old 12-13-2017, 7:12 AM

i got an email today that my COE is approved. it referred me to the cfars website. i didnt see any way for me to print out a certificate. do they mail it or am i just missing the link somewhere?
Old 12-13-2017, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomike View Post
i got an email today that my COE is approved. it referred me to the cfars website. i didnt see any way for me to print out a certificate. do they mail it or am i just missing the link somewhere?
CFARS Application Menu - Upper Left of landing page, click on: "Certificate of Eligibility (COE)".

COE Home Page, Center column, at the bottom: "Print COE"
Old 12-13-2017, 8:33 AM

thanks, got it.
Old 12-13-2017, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

I got mine in the mail.
Old 12-13-2017, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Well I realize now I boned up and initialed the gun storage or safety devices box instead of writing NA as instructed for C&R. I do have a safe though and all those idiot locks they make us buy.
Seems minor but hope it doesn't cost me a month because they reject it.

Old 12-14-2017, 5:40 AM

COE - 1st time applicant, issued 3 weeks and 1 day after application filed electronically.

C&R - still waiting 5 weeks + since application.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
COE application submitted online through CFARS on 10/20
COE completed, active on 11/4.

Looks like the state is processing these in about 2 weeks or less. Much better turnaround than I've seen people posting about in previous years.
Just got my 03FFL in the mail today. I sent the application out the same day I submitted the COE application. Looks like turnaround is 60days or less, if youre cool like me.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 12-15-2017, 8:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Checking my Livescan status at 916-227-4557
after 11 days says still "in progress" for both CA and DOJ.
Thought livescan worked faster than that.