Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM

Default Where are you bugging out to?

Just where is everyone thinking they're bugging out to? I'm honestly confused as to what people are planning for.

Since most of us live in CA, there's 40 million other residents here. There is no wilderness where you're going to live out your Grizzly Adams fantasies without two dozen other people with the same idea. And frankly, I'd feel uncomfortable crammed in with a bunch of armed survivalists.

IMHO, in some sort of major emergency requiring a bug out, I'm heading straight to a hotel in Las Vegas. So these elaborate survival BOBs seem rather unnecessary. Am I missing something here?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 PM

Bug out to Costco.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM

I'm planning on staying put at my house until things get back to normal
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM

People had better be bugging out to places with ample food, water and shelter. All of those will be in short supply very quickly.

Living off the land is a fools plan and you can't pack enough food and water to sustain your family in your bug out vehicle.

Lots of lessons to be learned from the recent problems in Bosnia if a person takes the time to learn.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 PM

I can't tell you.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM

The only realistic scenario that would have me bugging out is global thermonuclear war where large cities and infrastructure are targets. I'll be heading to a place where there likely to be very little fallout, very reliable precipitation that feeds a very nice aquifer, lots to shoot, net, spear, trap and soil that while in need of improvement, could still produce some crops. It is a long-term defensible destination.

I'm thinking of a second BOL but any land that I buy has to have a way of paying the carrying costs plus a little extra cash flow so that means orchards or row crops and those areas are not exactly inaccessible to the zombie hordes.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM

I live in LA County and work for a water company. My co-workers and I have been discussing, in the event of a emergency, taking over a large part of the water system(parcel of land) to provide for our needs. The place is also built like a fort.
Old 01-14-2013, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost-trails View Post
I can't tell you.
The nerve of him even asking.
Old 01-14-2013, 2:07 PM

To a place where I know lots of Mormons with food.
Old 01-14-2013, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm goin' to Disneyland!!
Old 01-14-2013, 3:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
I'm goin' to Disneyland!!
The Queen Mary in Long Beach...Come on its a ship!
Old 01-14-2013, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
People had better be bugging out to places with ample food, water and shelter. All of those will be in short supply very quickly.

Living off the land is a fools plan and you can't pack enough food and water to sustain your family in your bug out vehicle.

Lots of lessons to be learned from the recent problems in Bosnia if a person takes the time to learn.
Very true for people with families, but many people already do live off the land out in the wilderness, and have for millenia. anyone can learn the skills necessary to do it as well. This learning requires much more than internet research, which is unfortunately all some will ever do.

I don't honestly think many people plan on bugging out and living off the land forever because it isn't feasible, and most wouldn't even live through the first winter, or hot summer. I think bugging out probably means a temporary relocation when things get out of control where they live, and the only choice is to bug out, or go live in a FEMA camp. If you don't think that scenario can happen, you're in denial of recent history.

Everyone should have some sort of bug out plan based around your economic means and your practical knowledge of survival. Not everyone can just fly out of state and live in a hotel for a few weeks, in fact most cannot. So what should someone that does not have the financial means to do that, and has no out of state friends/family they can go stay with for awhile, do then?

I firmly believe that as a man it is my duty to ensure the well being of my family in any situation and it is my responsibility to have a bug out plan in place, should the situation arise from natural disaster or other calamity that requires the evacuation of my home.

I personally have bug out plans that include travel by car, bike or by foot, and several back up plans for each method of travel. And planning it and putting it all together did not take much time or money. I look at all forms of preps like insurance, you pay/plan for them hoping to never have to use it but it's there in case, someday you need to.
Old 01-14-2013, 4:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

trying to bug out in SoCal is a dream matter a fact no matter where you live especially in a city you're screwed. bug in til things calm down a little then try and get out. even that can be very dangerous.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-14-2013, 4:41 PM

Bugging out is our LAST RESORT...
Only if our area is in extreme danger are we hitting the road. Then....
About 650+ miles to our bug out location that is already a working ranch that will then have another 2 to 3 acres planted in veggies.
We have "hopefully" enough caches along the way, and more than one route planned out.
This has been in the planning stages for 6+ years. I REALLY hope we dont have to leave our home.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 01-14-2013, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
trying to bug out in SoCal is a dream matter a fact no matter where you live especially in a city you're screwed. bug in til things calm down a little then try and get out. even that can be very dangerous.
There is nowhere you could ride a bike or walk to? I know there are mountains in almost every direction down there. With 20+ million people living in SoCal, a major disaster would turn almost everywhere into a living nightmare. Sure a lot might try and bugout, but how many would actually try and get out of their car and walk to a high elevation in the Angeles Mountains near Mt Baldy. Hiking 50-60 miles may be needed if you live near the coast, but I don't see how that would be impossible if you left at the right time. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and have a well thought out plan.

Don't forget moving out of SoCal, before a disaster hits, can be a part of anyone's bugout plan.
Old 01-14-2013, 5:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Catalina Island!
Old 01-14-2013, 5:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have so many places up in my neck of the woods that I could go potentially, its not even funny. We have a LOT of water, shelter, pretty good weather year round without freezing or getting past 80, and food runs across your path CONSTANTLY. It would be no problem bugging out to a lot of various locations here. Plus its all inside of 50 miles
Old 01-14-2013, 5:22 PM

aruba or jamaica
Old 01-14-2013, 6:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehosha View Post
Don't forget moving out of California, before a disaster hits, can be a part of anyone's bugout plan.
fixed it for you.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-14-2013, 6:51 PM

Mexico
Old 01-14-2013, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Staying in my house and locking down the hatches. Its better to have a well stocked and defended house than to face the madness outdoors.

Unless there is some event that forces you outta house and home its better to stay put.

In 1776 we announced we would not be sitting back down.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.
Old 01-14-2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Staying in my house and locking down the hatches. Its better to have a well stocked and defended house than to face the madness outdoors.

Unless there is some event that forces you outta house and home its better to stay put.
True, but don't you think you should have a plan just in case? In CA earthquakes are probably our biggest threat and a big one would disrupt power/water for weeks. When fires start, how will they be put out? A neighborhood fire may force you out of your home. Then what?
Old 01-14-2013, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I am bugging in. if forced out I am going to a secret place.
Old 01-15-2013, 1:12 AM

Nobody in LA is going anywhere.

The *only* bugging out you're going to be able to do is *before* disaster, so leave early. Nobody mentioned the gubmint shutting down freeways, not that they'd have to as they'd be gridlocked.

I've seen people fleeing hurricanes. it's pointless, 8 hours in a car to go a few miles, and that was a place with actual freeways that work normally.

LA is a desert. Where would I bug out to on foot? Living off the land is a fools errand for all but a few. Even people that are good at it can starve or twist an ankle.
Old 01-15-2013, 1:23 AM

We are bugging out to noneya country. Noneya fing business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-15-2013, 8:04 AM

I always laugh at the thought of trying to bug out of any highly populated area in Ca.I'm sure many of you have sat on the 10,60,210,91,405,80,101,580,680,880 and I-5 in bumper to bumper traffic just because some "Richard cranium" is changing a tire on the white line or what about the Friday afternoon before a holiday it gets crazy I've seen stopped traffic on the 10 in palm desert due to returning masses from Glamis ........so I don't think anyone is going anywhere except on foot,bike or mule and once you get out "town" you still have a ways to go to reach any resources and then you can enjoy sharing them with a thousand others............but to answer the OP question I got a super secret place in Fontana
Old 01-15-2013, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

If I told you I'd have to kill you

What about Bugging out on a boat in the ocean.. head north ? Would definitley need a plan for pick up though.. have family up north..
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 01-15-2013, 8:26 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
m I missing something here?
Not at all. Hope it doesn't happen.
Old 01-15-2013, 8:42 AM
Banned

I am stuck right in the middle of the LA basin and I am happy to see no one here yet is going where I plan to go if I have to leave. If I do have to leave.....here is what I am traveling in:

If I dont feel the need to leave, but still feel threataned by the "hordes", having my M75 all kitted out within a 30 min walk of my home gives me a warm fuzzy feeling... lol
Old 01-15-2013, 8:45 AM

Now why would we say where we are going?
Old 01-15-2013, 8:46 AM

rather not say
Old 01-15-2013, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post
Just where is everyone thinking they're bugging out to? I'm honestly confused as to what people are planning for.

Since most of us live in CA, there's 40 million other residents here. There is no wilderness where you're going to live out your Grizzly Adams fantasies without two dozen other people with the same idea. And frankly, I'd feel uncomfortable crammed in with a bunch of armed survivalists.

IMHO, in some sort of major emergency requiring a bug out, I'm heading straight to a hotel in Las Vegas. So these elaborate survival BOBs seem rather unnecessary. Am I missing something here?
Good luck, I have been stuck in the desert in traffic on the 15 in the middle of the summer. Since there is pretty much nothing else out there everyone is on the road. Thinking that LV would be your primary option would be crazy since that would be other people's option as well.

I will probably bug in for a couple of days before making my way to North, South, or East. I have family in all directions but North would be ideal for me since it would probably have the most resources available to me and my family.
Old 01-15-2013, 8:59 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2 View Post
I am stuck right in the middle of the LA basin and I am happy to see no one here yet is going where I plan to go if I have to leave. If I do have to leave.....here is what I am traveling in:

If I dont feel the need to leave, but still feel threataned by the "hordes", having my M75 all kitted out within a 30 min walk of my home gives me a warm fuzzy feeling... lol

And a hundred miles gets you where...................
Old 01-15-2013, 9:32 AM

It depends on what the SHTF event actually is.

We have two scenarios, one where we shelter in place at home, another gets us out of the valley up to our cabin in the mountains.

The only scenarios that have us leaving our primary home for the hills are events such as toxic spills and disasters where infrastructure is threatened or damaged a-la Hurricane Sandy, etc.

I'm not a "prepper" by their measure, but I do have certain provisions for my family that'll last us at least 60 days.
Old 01-15-2013, 9:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnaz View Post
rather not say
First rule of prepping is don't talk about prepping.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 01-15-2013, 9:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

How to walk from California's Mexico Border to Canada!

http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/12/hi...il-the-desert/
Old 01-15-2013, 1:27 PM

I am already bugged out, all you flat landers just stay down were you are, FEMA will take real good care of you
Old 01-15-2013, 8:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgi1991 View Post
I am already bugged out, all you flat landers just stay down were you are, FEMA will take real good care of you
I'm heading your way when the time comes, just a little further up the road on HW4. Please allow me and mine to pass. I'll make it worth your while.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM

Go where you want, I'll be at your house drinking your liquor watching your TV...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM

I've already done it. I'm 700 miles away.