Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-15-2011, 5:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm planning on doing the $250 setup with a 9mm and 10mm die set. I do have a couple questions though.

Is there anything else that's not on the list that I will likely find useful or will eventually need?

How do I know what powder to purchase, or should I wait until my reloading book arrives?
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 01-15-2011, 6:27 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I think the $250 kit/list that Randall put together is pretty comprehensive, probably no immediate needs but other things you may want to think about:
kinetic bullet puller
extra decapping pins
boxes for loaded ammo (you can save and reuse factory boxes and trays though, just make sure to clearly label everything)

if you do more precision reloading you will want a powder trickler, but or 9mm and 10mm I don't think it will make much difference.

You may want to wait on your manual on powder, but you can also read up on powders online
Old 01-15-2011, 5:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Whoa - Thought Randall was back for a second there - Nah -
Old 01-18-2011, 9:37 PM

my two cents:

I would suggest that newbie reloaders on a budget buy the cheapest Lee non-progressive press kit to begin with (can't remember the name). The difference between this press and the more expensive single stage presses is minimal for handgun ammo.

Many feel that newbies should learn non-progressive first. I'm not sure if I agree completely, but if you are jumping straight to progressive, you should study that Lyman book like your life depends on it.

If you are note mechanically inclined, the Lee progressives may not be for you. I adore mine, but I am a mechanic. The printed instructions are awful! There are better instructions on You Tube. I suggest watching those before buying a press. The Lee progressives are so cheap that multiple caliber-specific presses are a common alternative to changing press setups.
Old 01-18-2011, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigon1965 View Post
Whoa - Thought Randall was back for a second there - Nah -
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGoldman View Post
my two cents:

I would suggest that newbie reloaders on a budget buy the cheapest Lee non-progressive press kit to begin with (can't remember the name). The difference between this press and the more expensive single stage presses is minimal for handgun ammo.

Many feel that newbies should learn non-progressive first. I'm not sure if I agree completely, but if you are jumping straight to progressive, you should study that Lyman book like your life depends on it.

If you are note mechanically inclined, the Lee progressives may not be for you. I adore mine, but I am a mechanic. The printed instructions are awful! There are better instructions on You Tube. I suggest watching those before buying a press. The Lee progressives are so cheap that multiple caliber-specific presses are a common alternative to changing press setups.
^ ^ ^ This post tricked me into thinking Randall was back
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 01-18-2011, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndefresno View Post
If you have a PC (as opposed to a MAC), you can download the list and three other files for the beginning reloader - Reloading ABC's type documents from reputable sources.
http://www.box.net/shared/iz1l2iuo7h
Good docs...Mac OS has had native support for .zip files for a long time, though, no PCs required.
Old 02-28-2013, 4:50 AM

3 years later, I love this post! Everything is still accurate I'm sure, correct?

I'm going to get into reloading soon and looking at the $300 setup Randall posted.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 PM

I'm seriously looking at reloading because of price and availability of ammo. I am interested in the Lee Pro or Lee Breach-lock. I will be loading .45acp, 9mm, .223 and 7.62x9. Can I load all of these calibers with the two presses listed above? Do i need anything more than different dyes? Are there certain powders recommended for each load? Can anyone send link(s) of good youtube videos for both of these presses?
Old 03-20-2013, 6:34 AM

Breech Lock you an load all of those.
I don't think the pro 1000 will load the rifle cartridges (I could be remembering wrong)
Keep in mind that right now the components and presses are just as hard (if not harder) to find as ammo.
That being said, reloading is a great hobby. Just remember that you would be taking on a new hobby.
Old 03-29-2013, 4:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Unfortunately, looking into reloading NOW because ammo prices are high is not going to get you any ammo because components are very hard to find now, and reloading equipment is out of stock everywhere.

Best advice is to also buy a manual so you know what you are looking at getting before just jumping in blind.

And of course, the payback for reloading (if you have the components) is magnified by 2 or 3 times now that people are just going insane and selling ammo at 3-4 times the cost it was last year (pre-panic). So more than ever it's worth it ... if you have the equipment and components.
Old 06-01-2013, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Randal, thanks for this!

If someone is going with the first option ($1,000), what other accessories or add ons would you suggest to make it easier. I am a completely newbie to reloading and will be reloading 9mm, 45acp, 50ae, 223, 308, 30-06.

I'd like the process to be as easy as possible.
Old 04-09-2016, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Safety advantage of the Dillon 650 Press

This is a a good thread. I have reloaded for shotgun for a few years and am about to get into reloading for pistol and there is one reason that I may go with the Dillon 650, even though the volume and caliber I shoot doesn't quite warrant the cost. That is the automated powder charge checker. It is hard to argue that it isn't a good accessory to have, when you find Hornady LNL owners machining there presses so that they can use a Dillon powder checker.
Old 04-10-2016, 5:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
there is one reason that I may go with the Dillon 650, even though the volume and caliber I shoot doesn't quite warrant the cost. That is the automated powder charge checker.
The other HUGE safety advantage of the 650 vs a 550 is the auto indexing.
Auto indexing makes it nearly impossible to double charge and very unlikely to load a squib as the press cycles the shellplate for every pull of the handle.
It's easier to load a double or a squib on a manually indexed machine.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 04-12-2016, 7:50 PM

ok, i'm 10 years behind the post.....
i'm looking at reloading a good 9mm round. my question is about the materials. what would be good brands to use for brass/powder/primer/bullets? what grain?
again. i want to load a good quality, versitile 9mm round.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-17-2017, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideInMyWater View Post
ok, i'm 10 years behind the post.....
i'm looking at reloading a good 9mm round. my question is about the materials. what would be good brands to use for brass/powder/primer/bullets? what grain?
again. i want to load a good quality, versitile 9mm round.

Thanks in advance!!!
My opinion is it doesn't matter where you get your brass as long as you know how to inspect it. You are not doing case prep for precision but you want to make sure you know it's not damaged.

I load win231 powder at near max range (0.1 grain less) with 115gr precision Delta.

I use cci and seller bellot primers whichever is available.

Runs well with my glock, cz, 1911 and ar-9.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reloading Equipment
Old 09-18-2017, 1:59 PM

Thanks for the insight! I'll definitely be trying to save my own shells.

I'm also going to LAX Ammo's parking lot sale that's coming up. From what I'm told usually their prices for reloaded ammo is pretty good?
Old 02-17-2018, 8:27 PM

I love to reload. Do I save money? Yea I guess I do. I look at loaded 9mm 250.00 for 1000 rounds bulk cci. Then I go to my regular shop in Covina CA. 9mm bullets 39 for 500. 2 boxes that, 78 dollars 1000 rounds. 33 for 1000 primers. Little over a hundred for 1000 rounds, need powder though. Hmm ww 231 8lb for 177.00 hmm, I'll get two of those, that should load about 30,000 rounds. Then I leave. Get home, toss it in locker, that already has a bunch of different powder from the days you couldn't find 231. Set my bullets next to the other 4000 rn I already have, that sit by the 4000precision delta 124 jhp Stack primers, hmm anyway have 10,000 small pistol primers, well here is 2000 more. Go online pick up another 1000 223 bullets. Look at the old rock chucker and remember how much I loved loading on that press. Well I'll hit the Dillon 650 and pump out 1000 9mm for the weekend. Friend calls, you load 45? Yup, just bring brass, powder and primers. Then sit him down at the rock chucker. K put one in pull the handle.
Go shooting, look at the guy next to me and ask, are you not saving that brass? He says nope, I ask so you mind if I pick it up? He says no problem. Ok, just got 200 once fired Winchester cases. See the guy next to him leave a couple hundred. Now I got 400 for 20 minutes labor. This that in the bucket with the other one fired 5,000 cases

So what's reloading done for me? Save money? Nope, but I sure shoot a lot and have plenty for the friend that bought a 50 round box and is done in 30 minutes taking his time. I look back at the years reloading, laughing when a friend ask, how much do you save? I don't know I'm a mental basket case, save? What is that? I know when I read about ammo shortage, to me it means, better only load 3 or 400 for the weekend. Lol

Wise reloaders, they think, they save. They shop, they are smart. I just get a bunch of stuff and shoot it. Design a new load try it out. I guess I'm having to much fun and can't stop long enough to do the math. Am I a genius? Well my German Shepard thinks so, she listens to me.
Reload guys, you'll love it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2018, 1:28 PM

Probably getting ahead of myself, but that's not new. I don't reload yet, thinking of it. Saving brass. I noticed that some maybe all of the 223/556 brass gets dented on ejection. Hit's the little deflection bump (I believe intentional).

So do you try to remove the indent? How?

Thanks.

This is not the neck, this is about mid way up on the brass.
Old 03-05-2018, 7:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post
I noticed that some maybe all of the 223/556 brass gets dented on ejection.
This is not the neck, this is about mid way up on the brass.
So do you try to remove the indent?
The dent removes itself during sizing and firing.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 03-06-2018, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2018, 12:33 PM

Default The Wallet Black Hole

Lee 1000 A great press for pistol. I have had about every press except the Dillon which is a very good set up. From a Rock Chucker to Ponsness Warrens and Forester single stage press. I now have a RCBS Turret press and for the money you cannot beat it price wise and quality. The turret press is a compromise for loading both rifle and pistol without breaking the bank. If you have the pocket book for a Dillon you just entered the Black Hole. I guess after shooting up 10,000 rounds you may break even.
Old 09-21-2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Do you still recommend the “Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit”?
Old 09-21-2020, 10:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django1986 View Post
Do you still recommend the “Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit”?
I would not recommend anything made by Lee to someone I liked.
When the absolute lowest cost is the requirement even at the detriment to quality, Lee is the best option though.

I would recommend you look for a nice old used RCBS Rockchucker if you want a solid single stage press.
It will probably cost about the same as a new Lee press.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:52 AM

Smile

Quote:
I would not recommend anything made by Lee to someone I liked.
When the absolute lowest cost is the requirement even at the detriment to quality, Lee is the best option though.

I would recommend you look for a nice old used RCBS Rockchucker if you want a solid single stage press.
It will probably cost about the same as a new Lee press.

Appreciate the clarification