Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-21-2012, 3:48 PM

Default Savage 64 FXP

A buddy of mine in his mid 60's has a hankerin' to start shooting again after several decades. Big 5 has the Savage for $149.00. Is this gun any good?
Anybody have experience with this perticular gun?
Thanks, Fred
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Sorry to see no responses so far. I have been patiently eyeing the Savage 64 F. I hear they are made in Canada, fair enough.

Youtube has a lot of videos posted by users of the 64. My post is relaying second-hand info!!! Hopefully a bump will help with actual users. Your mileage may vary.

These seem to be reliable rifles. The magazine seem to be the area that causes misfeeds, and Savage customer service has been helpful in getting the customer a new magazine if requested. They are made of steel, which is cool. The area that seems to be the problem is sometimes rough metal shaping around the "nose" of the magazine, where the nose of the bullet ramps toward the chamber as it feeds. This may be remedied by the customer smoothing the magazine, not that that should be an excuse.

The 64 FXP is a package deal that includes a budget scope. Most people/older eyed people view these as throwaway $10-$15 scopes.

Big 5 is running a coupon Sun 11/25, Mon 11/26 if interested. Firearms do not usually go on sale with these coupons:

http://images.emaildir2.com/clients/...ys_couponB.jpg
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I've looked at the 64f before. It just does not seem to be well made. The combo scope is junk. For the price the Marlin 795 will serve him better IMO.

Everything Marlin 795:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=607193

Magazines might be hard to load for older hands so in this case I suggest the tube fed version of the semi automatic Marlin the model 60.
Old 11-25-2012, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Definitely a good choice to start with. But like others have said; it can feel like a toy.

I would look at a Ruger 10/22; or even a Marlin 60 (with a wooden stock) would be a better choice than the Savage.

A Ruger 10/22 will run you about $225 and the Marlin 60 should be priced in the $170 range.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...loading/60.asp

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022/index.html

Good luck

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that remington bought out marlin. That would be a good thing but an investment company bought out remington before that. The bean counters have lowered the quality on the Remington 870 express significantly, and released huge turds like the 887, 770 etc. Since they took over marlin, i have heard the 795 is having issues, and isnt as accurate as it once was.

The ruger 10/22 may be the go to gun, nothin amazing, but not a turd by any means.
Old 11-25-2012, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a Savage 64. I bought it at Big 5, but it was missing the scope so I got $20 off. I put a $20 Barska on it.

It does feel cheap, but so does a Marlin 795 with the synthetic stock. I would prefer a wood stock on any rifle of this type.

I bought extra mags, and they are a little rough around the feed lips, but I have had only a few failures to feed after putting several thousand rounds through it. The mags are heavy castings (pot metal I assume) with steel floor plates and plastic followers. I haven't had to replace any of them yet.

The mag release is a little cumbersome, but no worse than the factory release on a 10/22.

It is a decent shooter, very consistent. It loves Federal bulk ammo. I guess my only real complaint is that it doesn't hold the bolt open on the last round like the Marlins do. For the price, I would buy another one.
Old 11-26-2012, 7:02 AM

Talking

Great gun! I love mine. The stock scope is a joke but even with a budget scope like a Simmons 3-9x32 it will do some outstanding groups for a semiautomatic rifle.
Savage Mk II FV
Henry H001
Pistols:
FNH P45
Browing Buckmark
Shotgun:
870 20g
Old 11-26-2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I have a Savage 64. I bought it at Big 5, but it was missing the scope so I got $20 off. I put a $20 Barska on it.

It does feel cheap, but so does a Marlin 795 with the synthetic stock. I would prefer a wood stock on any rifle of this type.

I bought extra mags, and they are a little rough around the feed lips, but I have had only a few failures to feed after putting several thousand rounds through it. The mags are heavy castings (pot metal I assume) with steel floor plates and plastic followers. I haven't had to replace any of them yet.

The mag release is a little cumbersome, but no worse than the factory release on a 10/22.

It is a decent shooter, very consistent. It loves Federal bulk ammo. I guess my only real complaint is that it doesn't hold the bolt open on the last round like the Marlins do. For the price, I would buy another one.
Not wanting to derail the thread, but how was the trigger when new? Did it smooth out nicely about the first 500 round brick of ammo?
Old 11-29-2012, 6:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Tree View Post
Not wanting to derail the thread, but how was the trigger when new? Did it smooth out nicely about the first 500 round brick of ammo?
"Crunchy" was term I used to describe it when it was new. It has improved with wear.
Old 11-26-2012, 7:30 AM

The day I started this thread my buddy bought one. They were on sale for $10 cheaper than Black Friday, go figure. I already told him to junk the scope, I have older, much better just sitting around collecting dust that I can give him. He may use this gun every 2-3 months with his quad ridin' buddies.
Maybe this will get him interested in shooting and actually buy something of superior quality.
Old 11-26-2012, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Nice gun. The only complaint i have is the scarcity and the expense of replacement parts/ accessories (magazines in particular)

If I had had the money I would have gone with a 1022 but was in too much of a hurry... oh well. the 64 shoots just fine, eats anything and is fairly accurate
Old 11-26-2012, 9:41 PM

Joshua Tree;

Mine was hard and heavy. After just a few hundred rounds it did smooth out. Not as light as i would like but it was better.
Savage Mk II FV
Henry H001
Pistols:
FNH P45
Browing Buckmark
Shotgun:
870 20g
Old 11-29-2012, 7:46 PM
Banned

I recently bought my grandson a Savage 64 and my son a Marlin 60. While both shoot very accurately and feel well built I have to say that I prefer the Marlin overall. I like it's bolt hold open, more ergonomic safety placement and lack of a magazine to keep track of.

The Savage magazine that at first glance appears indestructible is in fact just cast metal and the feed lips WILL wear out eventually. Big5 has them and with one of their email coupons I bought several extras for about $15 each. The included scope is really just a $5 piece of junk and should be discarded. You can get a Simmons 3x9x32 from Big5 on sale for around $30 (works well on the Marlin as well).

Either rifle will provide YEARS of service though. Another plus is that with their lower price ($150 on sale) you can get a rifle, a scope and a brick of ammo for the same price as just a 10/22.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 PM

Ive had my 64FXP for a few years now, but probably only put around 1000 rounds total through it. The trigger is spongy and soft, but is good enough for a cheap plinker. I cannot recall a single malfunction despite no cleaning or lube for about 2 years, and even when I finally cleaned it there was a surprising lack of deposits. I picked up 2 extra magazines that were hanging around at the Big5 I bought it from, so at least they are somewhat easily available. If I had to do it again I would just spend the extra $50 and get a Ruger 10-22, I like how they operate better and there are 125324322 aftermarket parts, accessories, and magazines for them.