Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-12-2013, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Colt model '357 Magnum' 1959

It's a Colt 357
357 Magnum (that is the model name)
It's pre python, pre trooper
Made in 1959 according to the serial

Just wondering what one might be worth
It is not mint condition it us In fairly worn condition
Some significant holster wear on the barrel tip, my understanding is that it belonged to an officer who gifted it and has been re-gifted a couple times since

Just trying to figure the value of it

Last edited by Tripper; 08-30-2013 at 9:50 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 PM

post a pic I would love to see it.
Old 07-13-2013, 2:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
It's a Colt 357
357 Magnum (that is the model name)
It's pre python, pre trooper
Made in 1959 according to the serial

Just wondering what one might be worth
It is not mint condition it us In fairly worn condition
Some significant holster wear on the barrel tip, my understanding is that it belonged to an officer who gifted it and has been re-gifted a couple times since

No, I'm not going to be trying to sell it. Just want to give a friend an idea of what it's worth.
Just wondering if anyone has any fairly recent values for this particular model

Will try to put up a picture later
Usually when we say "pre Model X" we mean that model acquired a different name later in it's life. Example the S&W .44 Magnum (a.k.a. pre-29) became the Model 29 with no changes when S&W introduced the model number system in 1957. Thats not the case for the Colt 357. It was introduced in 1954 and produced until around 1961. The Python, which shares it's frame/action, although with better finish and the heavy vented barrel was introduced in 1955 and produced for many more years but both the Python and the 357 models were produced concurrently for a short period. It's also not technicaly a "pre-Trooper" as that model was introduced in 1953 and produced concurrently with the both the 357 and Python models.

The Colt 357 is an excellent revolver (and a great find if you come across one on consignment) but was stuck being the middle child; people on a budget bought the Trooper (although the Trooper wasn't offerred in .357 Magnum until the 357 model was discontinued) and those wanting the very best bought the Python with its sexy blueing and unique vented rib heavy barrel.

I'm not sure of the current value and would be hard to guess without pictures, but if you sign up at gunbroker.com you can search completed auctions on similar models in order to see what ones in similar condition are selling for there. I will say that Colt revolvers of all models are extremely collectible and just keep getting more valuable if properly preserved. Even though your friends has significant wear which affects value and collectibility be aware that refinishing it would KILL the value to a collector if the current owner might be considerring that. If the owner has the box it came in that would add more than $100 to the value. (Never throw away boxes!)

If you post some pictures of the revolver in its current condition I"m sure someone here or over at the colt collector forums can provide a better estimation of value.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Last edited by redcliff; 07-13-2013 at 5:37 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 5:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Usually when we say "pre Model X" we mean that model acquired a different name later in it's life. Example S&W .44 Magnum became the Model 29 with no changes when S&W introduced the model number system in 1957. Thats not the case for the Colt 357. It was introduced in 1954 and produced until around 1961. The Python, which shares it's frame/action, although with better finish and the heavy vented barrel was introduced in 1955 and produced for many more years but both the Python and the 357 models were produced concurrently for a short period. It's also not technicaly a "pre-Trooper" as that model was introduced in 1953 and produced concurrently with the both the 357 and Python models.

The Colt 357 is an excellent revolver (and a great find if you come across one on consignment) but was stuck being the middle child; people on a budget bought the Trooper (although the Trooper wasn't offerred in .357 Magnum until the 357 model was discontinued) and those wanting the very best bought the Python with its sexy blueing and unique vented heavy barrel.

I'm not sure of the current value and would be hard to guess without pictures, but if you sign up at gunbroker.com you can search completed auctions on similar models in order to see what ones in similar condition are selling for there. I will say that Colt revolvers of all models are extremely collectible and just keep getting more valuable if properly preserved. Even though your friends has significant wear which affects value and collectibility be aware that refinishing it would KILL the value to a collector if the current owner might be considerring that. If the owner has the box it came in that would add more than $100 to the value. (Never throw away boxes!)

If you post some pictures of the revolver in its current condition I"m sure someone here or over at the colt collector forums can provide a better estimation of value.

Nice write up Red.

About a year and a half ago I screwed up and passed on a Three Five Seven (that is the way I've always know the model to be named) that was in pretty good condition for $550 at a pawn shop in Medford OR. The only problem with the gun was the little fat part at the end of the extractor rod was missing. Fit on the gun was great and the finish was about 90%. The only reason I passed was because I didn't have enough money in the play account to pay cash for it. Having gotten myself in trouble in the past with CC I no longer buy anything I can't pay cash for.

I really wish I could have gotten that gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 07-13-2013, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Wow, thanks Red
That's a nice history on it
Someone had commented 'not a python or trooper' so I carried that forward thinking it might be important and because I wanted it understood that 357 was the model name

I think it is quite worn myself, it seems to have more holster wear from the looks of the barrel, but not shooting wear by the looks of the culinder
I will try and post a pic later, sorry the pics are on a stick I left at work and not sure I want to go get it, they might try to keep me there if they know I exist
Old 07-13-2013, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

got a pic
in OP
Old 07-23-2013, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Any comments now with the pic
Old 07-24-2013, 7:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well it looks like the same part on the one i passed on went missing on this one too and they replaced it with a new unfinished one. You were right on the finish of the barrel but the rest looks to be in OK condition. The cylinder does have some wear on though. The best part it the stocks. Those are OG and are in great shape.

The one I passed on had better blueing but the stocks were no where near as good as those ones and it was going for $550. It was a 6" model which is IMO more desirable. And this was a year and 1/2 ago.

In today's market I would say this one would probable go for about $600 to $700.

Quote:

Old 07-24-2013, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm not sure what the little fat thing at the end of extractor is, I'll have to try and figure that out
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Post your inquiry and you picture(s) on the clot forum--you will get chapter and verse as top value and condition.What ever value you get add the "California" surcharge to the price.1-2 hundred dollars.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm not sure what the little fat thing at the end of extractor is, I'll have to try and figure that out
It's that silver piece that is sitting at the end of the extractor under the barrel.

Quote:

Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

oh, so I'm not missing it, I thought you were referring to something at the end of the extractor that was missing, I had no idea what that might be. I hadn't noticed the 'replaced' reference, so, you think that is a replacement huh?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

made an account at colt forum, for more
Old 07-24-2013, 2:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyo55 View Post
Post your inquiry and you picture(s) on the clot forum--you will get chapter and verse as top value and condition.What ever value you get add the "California" surcharge to the price.1-2 hundred dollars.
I don't know that the CA price increase would hold in this instance. The "357" model is C & R eligible, so getting one shipped in from out of state is pretty straightforward. I suppose a slight boost, maybe $50.00, might be in order to compensate for dealer transfer if one were found out of state.

FWIW and by way of an entirely subjective stab, I'd put $425.00 on this sample.

A Tylet T Grip would be a neat addition to the gun.
Old 07-24-2013, 3:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
oh, so I'm not missing it, I thought you were referring to something at the end of the extractor that was missing, I had no idea what that might be. I hadn't noticed the 'replaced' reference, so, you think that is a replacement huh?
Yup. It would be blued like the rest of the gun if it were the OG one. Man I wish I could remember what that piece is called

Quote:

Old 07-24-2013, 3:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyo55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I don't know that the CA price increase would hold in this instance. The "357" model is C & R eligible, so getting one shipped in from out of state is pretty straightforward. I suppose a slight boost, maybe $50.00, might be in order to compensate for dealer transfer if one were found out of state.

With the CA price increase. Not on this gun.

I do however think you are a bit low on the price. JMO

Quote:

Old 07-24-2013, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

you serious, C & R eligible, I hadn't thought of that
Old 07-24-2013, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Yup. It would be blued like the rest of the gun if it were the OG one. Man I wish I could remember what that piece is called
I guy on the Colt forum called it a ejector rod head
Old 07-24-2013, 3:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
you serious, C & R eligible, I hadn't thought of that
Yup. These were made between 1954 and 1961. ALL Colt Three Five Sevens are more than 50 years old and ALL qualify as C&R.

Quote:

Old 07-24-2013, 4:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Yup. These were made between 1954 and 1961. ALL Colt Three Five Sevens are more than 50 years old and ALL qualify as C&R.
I knew that, just, well, didn't know that
Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

its mine now, love the action
Old 08-21-2013, 4:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
its mine now, love the action
Nice!. I really wish i had enough in the play found to buy that one last year. I'm sure you'll be really happy with it. Full range report when you get the chance.

Quote:

Old 08-21-2013, 5:05 PM

good deal trip, guess ya need more 38 now lol.
Old 08-21-2013, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

yes, that means I will need more 38,,,lol

action "CLICKS' into place, with a profound click, no play in the cylinder. i really need to go to the range this w/end, have this and a 57 to play with.
Old 08-30-2013, 8:40 AM

Default Agree on the C&R

Quote:
I knew that, just, well, didn't know that

Thought I'd jump in on this thread if that is OK. I used my CA C&R to pick up a combo deal from a recent Rock Is. Auction on a 1959 Colt 357 and a 1951 Colt Cobra - both like new with boxes. Feared I paid too much ($1650 out the door for the combo plus the $38 to the DOJ). Glad that the boxes help offset the cost and appreciate the advice to keep those boxes and all the old receipts and paperwork inside.
Old 08-30-2013, 8:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fga4 View Post
Thought I'd jump in on this thread if that is OK. I used my CA C&R to pick up a combo deal from a recent Rock Is. Auction on a 1959 Colt 357 and a 1951 Colt Cobra - both like new with boxes. Feared I paid too much ($1650 out the door for the combo plus the $38 to the DOJ). Glad that the boxes help offset the cost and appreciate the advice to keep those boxes and all the old receipts and paperwork inside.

The thought of "paying too much" fades after a while. And the longer you keep the guns the more distant that thought becomes. On the other hand, remembering not buying because of a few $$$ never goes away. I still remember the 22 lr 6" nickel Diamondback that I passed up because $325.00 was "too much" .....
Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM

Nice 6 shooter, congrats
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, I don't follow the value of these nice old Colt's too closely, but just as a guess, I would say about $400-450 for a revolver in the pictured condition. Yes, they are probably C&R, but in Kalifornia you would have to do the paperwork anyway. Personally, I'd keep it just the way it is and use it as a shooter/carry/truck gun---with no worries about the finish. Great revolver, enjoy!
Old 08-30-2013, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Usually when we say "pre Model X" we mean that model acquired a different name later in it's life. Example the S&W .44 Magnum (a.k.a. pre-29) became the Model 29 with no changes when S&W introduced the model number system in 1957. Thats not the case for the Colt 357. It was introduced in 1954 and produced until around 1961. The Python, which shares it's frame/action, although with better finish and the heavy vented barrel was introduced in 1955 and produced for many more years but both the Python and the 357 models were produced concurrently for a short period. It's also not technicaly a "pre-Trooper" as that model was introduced in 1953 and produced concurrently with the both the 357 and Python models.

The Colt 357 is an excellent revolver (and a great find if you come across one on consignment) but was stuck being the middle child; people on a budget bought the Trooper (although the Trooper wasn't offerred in .357 Magnum until the 357 model was discontinued) and those wanting the very best bought the Python with its sexy blueing and unique vented rib heavy barrel.

Man, you are always on the money with your posts on things like this, I just wanted to take a minute to say thanks. Thanks!

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
Old 08-30-2013, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazman View Post
Man, you are always on the money with your posts on things like this, I just wanted to take a minute to say thanks. Thanks!
Glad you find the posts helpful jazman. One of the very few benefits of being old and around firearms my whole life.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 08-30-2013, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...I still remember the 22 lr 6" nickel Diamondback that I passed up because $325.00 was "too much" .....
I passed on an S&W Model 29 in Stainless that only had 50 rounds fired through it (I knew the owner), stock and aftermarket grips, and original box and paperwork because I did not have $300.00.
Old 08-30-2013, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fga4 View Post
Sweeet
Old 08-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Calguns Addict

It should be illegal to mention 1959 Colt .357 Revolver and not post pictures. That would be like going in Dennys and not having any pictures on the menu. How would you know what to order?
Old 08-31-2013, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
It should be illegal to mention 1959 Colt .357 Revolver and not post pictures. That would be like going in Dennys and not having any pictures on the menu. How would you know what to order?
You're right!

Here is a picture I shamelessly stole off Armslist: