Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 06-08-2018, 1:56 AM

Default What to do with a .308 Tikka T3 Action

Hey folks,

Probably closer to the end of the year if not 2019, I would like another long range rifle. I have a Tikka T3 Light in .308 and my first instinct is to keep that caliber and buy a new, longer, heavier barrel and stick in a chassis. But I was wondering if I am stuck with .308 or is it feasible to utilize a different round.

Seating as its a short action I am limited on what I can use but is it as easy as buying a new bolt to fit into the action for the new caliber? What long range caliber can go long but use the short action? I already have a 6.5creed which I am happy with. Budget would be probably 2 to 3k depending.

Would like your opinions, as most have more experience with LRS and building rifles from scratch.
Old 06-08-2018, 2:58 AM
Banned

Tommy,

Change over to 6.5 Creedmoor, same short action as .308. A2
Old 06-08-2018, 5:50 AM

Well there are a lot but it seems except for the 6.5 most other cartridges are going to be right around what a .308 can do. Might as well just keep it .308 since I'm already set up for it reloading wise.
Old 06-08-2018, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
Well there are a lot but it seems except for the 6.5 most other cartridges are going to be right around what a .308 can do. Might as well just keep it .308 since I'm already set up for it reloading wise.
Nothing wrong with a 308. Since you reload, you can use better bullets like Berger or rebarrel with a premium tube like Krieger or whatever.

Just depends on what you want to do and how much you are willing to spend.

You know how that goes
Old 06-09-2018, 12:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
Seating as its a short action I am limited on what I can use but is it as easy as buying a new bolt to fit into the action for the new caliber?
What long range caliber can go long but use the short action?
I already have a 6.5creed which I am happy with.
The Tikka T3 action is a long action.
The short action chamberings simply have a longer BOLT STOP which shortens the travel of the bolt.
By changing the bolt stop to a long action bolt stop, you get the extra 5/8" of bolt travel necessary to shoot long action cartridges.
You obviously need a long action magazine and therefore an appropriate stock to hold the long action magazines.

308 and 30-06 share the same bolt face diameter.
You can rechamber that action into any 0.473" case head cartridge as long as you can get a magazine that will feed it.
I have rebarrelled lots of Tikka actions with high end barrel blanks.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 06-09-2018, 5:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If i had a long action Tikka with a .473 bolt face. I think I'd go with at least a .284 winchester or even a Shehane but with the 150g 6.5mm SMK i'd be a little more than tempted to go with a 6.5-.284 norma. All of which start life as a .284 Winchester and brass is easy to get and all can be simply necked down and fire formed. I'd put at least a 28" barrel on it Heavy Palma taper 1-7 twist Shilen select match, I'd set that barreled action in a good chassis or Manners Composite depending on your taste and what you intend to use the long range side of the weapon for. i.e. competition or hunting. I'd scope it appropriately with a large magnification scope and put a good trigger on it if the stock one was not good enough for my needs.

That said the 308 is not a bad round it just gets blown all over the place in med to high winds, the 6.5 bullets cut that wind drift by about 40% depending on the bullet you use. so there is more margin for error the 6mm cuts it even further.

308 and 6.5CM are just about as generic as the 30-06 in price and availability. the caliber I mentioned are going to be expensive to get started with. but will slightly out perform the 6.5CM at range, will that slight edge in performance be worth it? well thats up to you.

I have a back burner project of a .28 Nosler to drive a 197g 7mm SMK at 3000 fps it's going to take a good amount of money and will use more powder than a 300 win mag. it will burn barrels too with a life of >2000 at best. I'd be surprised if it shot good for 1500 rounds. but hey fun cost money, how much do you want to have?
Old 06-22-2018, 8:45 AM

Honestly, I wouldn’t screw around with the Tikka at all.

Based on your statements, you’re buying a new barrel and stock regardless. You may, most likely will, be spending money on action work, possibly bolt stops, magazines, trigger, etc.

Sell the Tikka, take that money & the money you didn’t spend on action work & put it toward a custom action that has all the features you want already built in.

Decide how you’ll realistically use it most of the time & build it for that. i.e., if you shoot from the bench most of the time, consider right bolt, left port, single shot. PRS or something that requires mag swaps, order it with a mag cutout.
You can get different diameters & shapes on the actions too, doesn’t have to be
1.350” Remington size. Although that would be the easiest route for finding a chassis.

Figure out the furthest you’ll shoot & what distance you’ll shoot most of the time,
pick your caliber based on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post

I have a back burner project of a .28 Nosler to drive a 197g 7mm SMK at 3000 fps it's going to take a good amount of money and will use more powder than a 300 win mag. it will burn barrels too with a life of >2000 at best. I'd be surprised if it shot good for 1500 rounds. but hey fun cost money, how much do you want to have?
I haven’t shot my Sierra’s yet but, 3000 fps should be a pretty mild load unless you’re using a really short barrel.
I’m getting over 3200 with the Berger 195 at 85.5 gr. of RL33. Been trying to find N570 in stock. Supposed to be a really good powder for the 28N too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Switchbarrel:

3000 FPS is being realistic for a 30” barrel. I want to preserve barrel and brass life as long as possible, if I can get more out of it, sure it’s worth a shot.
My barrel is 30”. Using Retumbo & H1000, etc. will yield lower velocities for sure. Those with 26” barrels, using RL33 & N570 report 3050 fps as being the “low node”. Higher node in the ~3180 fps region (again with a 26” barrel).

I’m focusing in the 85 gr. 3180-ish fps range for mine which appears to be somewhat mild. I don’t really care too much though, I know Krieger or Brux will gladly make me another barrel (I just wish I could chamber them myself like you).

-Rick

Last edited by Switchbarrel; 06-25-2018 at 9:14 AM..
Old 06-23-2018, 6:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Switchbarrel:

3000 FPS is being realistic for a 30” barrel. I want to preserve barrel and brass life as long as possible, if I can get more out of it, sure it’s worth a shot.
Old 06-24-2018, 4:34 PM

My bet is on 6mm Creedmoor