Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-15-2017, 1:00 PM

Default Converting to featureless, just want to be sure.

Hey all,
I want to convert my AR-15 to featureless rather than going the RAW route. I haven't had the time to take it her out for a year or two and don't see much time in the near future, but I like to have it around.
Since it isn't getting a lot of use at the moment I'd rather keep the featureless parts on the more budget (though still reliable and completely compliant) side.

Everything I've read seems to make this sound compliant, but could someone more knowledgeable than me confirm?

This is the riffles current configuration, it has a flash hider.

So right now I'm thinking of doing:
Just an A2 Muzzle brake for the time being:
https://aimsportsinc.com/default/cal...zle-brake.html

Strike Industries Grip:
https://www.rainierarms.com/strike-i...tureless-grip/

And for the stock, would I be safer to just get the fixed MOE stock. Or would a pin like this one work? Is one more likely to be compliant than the other or are both good to go?
https://aimsportsinc.com/default/cal...-lock-pin.html

Is there anything I'm missing here? Or would this give me a compliant featureless rifle that I can be okay with for the time being?

Thanks for all the help, I know it's redundant, just want to sleep sound.
Old 12-15-2017, 1:03 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Looks good, the AIM pin would work.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 12-15-2017, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Excellent budget choices. Pin the stock to save a little more or go with the MOE it is all preference at that point.

Once converted, slap a regular mag release on it and welcome to the family.
Old 12-15-2017, 1:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A thread protector for the flash hider will cost you less and be easier on the guy at the next bench.
Old 12-15-2017, 2:31 PM

That stock lock pin takes all of a minute to install... or five minutes if you screw up and knock the spring pin out too far, as I did. Either way, once it's installed, there is no way to adjust the stock position without either disassembling it or breaking it.
Old 12-15-2017, 2:55 PM

I’m not a fan of grip fins/wraps. No good if you need to shoot off-handed. I don’t even find the grip acceptable with my strong hand. The Sparrow grip is by far my favorite featureless grip option.

Muzzle brakes—ugh. Spare your range neighbor from annoying concussive blasts and get a linear comp like Kaw Valley or Troy Claymore.

The AIM stock pin will work great.

That’s my 2 cents. No refunds.

Last edited by PoorMan; 12-15-2017 at 3:01 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 2:59 PM

Yup

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -
Old 12-15-2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
That stock lock pin takes all of a minute to install... or five minutes if you screw up and knock the spring pin out too far, as I did. Either way, once it's installed, there is no way to adjust the stock position without either disassembling it or breaking it.
Ha! I'm sure it'll happen. Is there a certain position it needs to be locked in? As long as the total length is over 30 inches correct? Or am I way off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan View Post
Iím not a fan of grip fins/wraps. No good if you need to shoot off-handed. I donít even find the grip acceptable with my strong hand. The Sparrow grip is by far my favorite featureless grip option.

Muzzle brakesóugh. Spare your range neighbor from annoying concussive blasts and get a linear comp like Kaw Valley or Troy Claymore.

The AIM stock pin will work great.

Thatís my 2 cents. No refunds.
I bought the fin and A2 for now just to have something done in the meantime, but I'll definitely look into both the Sparrow grip and the linear comps, definitely wouldn't mind switching around. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2017, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The linear comps are easier on the ears but they do increase reward recoil a bit. A muzzle break will lessen the recoil but may bother your ears.

Some are made with a shroud, then you can choose.
Old 12-16-2017, 9:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This grip feels better than the strike kind. Grip . The fin is offset more to the left.
https://www.riflegear.com/p-8379-rif...-fin-grip.aspx

You will also need a mag release button and spring. Since you can remove the bullet button.
Old 12-16-2017, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Pay attention to the swap-out if you are going from a carbine (collapsible) stock to a fixed. They are different lengths and interface with the receiver in different ways:

The parts of an A2 stock:
- Buffer spring
- Buffer
- A1/A2 receiver extension (buffer tube)
- Stock body
- Stock spacer

The parts of a Carbine stock:
- Buffer spring
- Buffer
- Carbine receiver extension
- Castle nut
- End plate

Attached Images
File Type: jpg stocks.jpg (92.7 KB, 715 views)
Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 PM

Have u looked at Tier 5 solutions
Old 12-17-2017, 7:56 AM

If you use a fin grip, add skateboard tape to the grip. It improves handling.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:21 PM

I just drilled a hole through the stock lever that you use to adjust the stock, then placed a roll pin to make it fixed. Dirt cheap.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
I just drilled a hole through the stock lever that you use to adjust the stock, then placed a roll pin to make it fixed. Dirt cheap.
I have seen guys do that to GI carbine stocks, and not realize the stock adjustment pin can still be pulled down manually. Sure the lever doesn't move, but that doesn't keep the stop pin from moving.

So if you do that, you might need to drill a hole through the adjustment/stop pin, and pin that. In most cases pinning the lever is setting you up for a roadside surprise when a cop shows you the stock is still adjustable. Of course YMMV depending on the stock.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 12-18-2017 at 1:01 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 11:54 PM

I put on the A2 muzzle brake and went to the range. The RO was telling me it look to similar to bird cage flash hider. An LEO can confuse it as one and eventually end up through the court process. You may win, but is it worth it.

Work around would be to carry a card or document of the A2 muzzle brake. But would you want to carry it everywhere you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie123 View Post
Hey all,
I want to convert my AR-15 to featureless rather than going the RAW route. I haven't had the time to take it her out for a year or two and don't see much time in the near future, but I like to have it around.
Since it isn't getting a lot of use at the moment I'd rather keep the featureless parts on the more budget (though still reliable and completely compliant) side.

Everything I've read seems to make this sound compliant, but could someone more knowledgeable than me confirm?

This is the riffles current configuration, it has a flash hider.

So right now I'm thinking of doing:
Just an A2 Muzzle brake for the time being:
https://aimsportsinc.com/default/cal...zle-brake.html

Strike Industries Grip:
https://www.rainierarms.com/strike-i...tureless-grip/

And for the stock, would I be safer to just get the fixed MOE stock. Or would a pin like this one work? Is one more likely to be compliant than the other or are both good to go?
https://aimsportsinc.com/default/cal...-lock-pin.html

Is there anything I'm missing here? Or would this give me a compliant featureless rifle that I can be okay with for the time being?

Thanks for all the help, I know it's redundant, just want to sleep sound.
Old 12-18-2017, 6:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambodian View Post
I put on the A2 muzzle brake and went to the range. The RO was telling me it look to similar to bird cage flash hider. An LEO can confuse it as one and eventually end up through the court process. You may win, but is it worth it. Why do you think this would require a "court process"? A line cop might run you in, (or an RO who thinks he's a cop) but somebody up the line will quash it because it isn't a flash hider.

Work around would be to carry a card or document of the A2 muzzle brake. But would you want to carry it everywhere you go.The grip's hollow. Put a copy of the documentation in the grip.
Ya'll are making this too hard.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribouriver View Post
A thread protector for the flash hider will cost you less and be easier on the guy at the next bench.
Yeah, I bought (from eBay) a "compensator" with a screw on "Sound forwarding" (LOL at the idiotic "sound forwarder" blast shield and after I thought about it (and after I received it) I was thinking ... why didn't I just screw on a thread protector?

My original theory was that if there wasn't anyone next to me, or I was doing a "run and gun" Id take off the "Sound forwarder" so that uh, the sound wasn't forwarded. LOL!

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 12-18-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Ya'll are making this too hard.
I keep hearing LEO wonít be able to determine what is a flash hider or a muzzle brake. So it goes in the grey area.

I support the police and not saying they are all bad. But we do has the few rogue LE that like to be cocky, just like the RO I had to deal with. LOL

If a cop say it a flash hider, they will confiscate it and then we have go through the system. Cost some money just to get back a legal own rifle. :-/
Old 12-18-2017, 12:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Where chickens cross the road without being questioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I have seen guys do that to GI carbine stocks, and not realize the stock adjustment pin still be pulled down manually. Sure the lever doesn't move, but that doesn't keep the stop pin from moving.

So if you do that, you might need to drill a hole through the adjustment/stop pin, and pin that. In most cases pinning the lever is setting you up for a roadside surprise when a cop shows you the stock is still adjustable. Of course YMMV depending on the stock.
Thanks! Good info.
Any advice provided here is my opinion. Under no circumstances should it be considered legal advice. Iím just an old dude going blah blah blah on the internet. If you need legal advice, talk to a lawyer and pay them for it!
Old 12-18-2017, 1:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

It looks like you have two threads going on this same topic. ?

Your Magpul CTR stock is nice and would be a shame to replace it (especially when you mention your on a budget). Pinning it is easy. If you have some pin punches, you can make it fixed without modifying the stock or the buffer. You can find some videos on YouTube showing how to do this. Don't get me wrong; the Magpul fixed stock is nice too.

On our website there is a page with some good information and links to other sources that are a good starting point for understanding featureless.
Sparrow Dynamics Featureless Build Info

I hope this helps!

P.S. Nice looking rifle you have there.

Last edited by Sparrow Dynamics; 12-18-2017 at 1:17 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambodian View Post
I keep hearing LEO wonít be able to determine what is a flash hider or a muzzle brake. So it goes in the grey area.

I support the police and not saying they are all bad. But we do has the few rogue LE that like to be cocky, just like the RO I had to deal with. LOL

If a cop say it a flash hider, they will confiscate it and then we have go through the system. Cost some money just to get back a legal own rifle. :-/
A cop in the field can make any number of decisions. The only way to avoid them is to stay home and don't answer the door.

The only way to fully cover your fear is to install a thread protector.

Or, carry the literature for the item to prove it's not a flash hider.

The trick is to not live your life in fear.
Old 12-18-2017, 4:25 PM

Use this for your stock (compliant but still reversible)

https://www.strikeindustries.com/sho...tock-stop.html

Sparrowdynamics grip is probably the most comfortable compliant grip out there

http://www.sparrowdynamics.com/product-p/crg-15.htm
Old 12-18-2017, 4:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmai24 View Post
Use this for your stock (compliant but still reversible)

https://www.strikeindustries.com/sho...tock-stop.html

Sparrowdynamics grip is probably the most comfortable compliant grip out there

http://www.sparrowdynamics.com/product-p/crg-15.htm
Thanks Kmai24! We appreciate the kind comment about our grip.

That Strike Industries stock stop looks great. The funny thing is that I 3D printed something very similar back when we started working on our grip. We were planning on molding that next, but it looks like Strike totally beat us to the punch on that one (and I didn't even know it).
Too many new things to keep up with.
Old 12-18-2017, 6:39 PM

Don't get the MOE Carbine stock. The rubber butt pad is hard as bricks. Keep the one you have and use a Strike Industries Stock Lock. It will make your adjustable stock fixed for $6 and it's completely reversible should you need to take it off and make adjustable again.
Old 12-19-2017, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
A cop in the field can make any number of decisions. The only way to avoid them is to stay home and don't answer the door.

The only way to fully cover your fear is to install a thread protector.

Or, carry the literature for the item to prove it's not a flash hider.

The trick is to not live your life in fear.
Yep--if you're a law abiding citizen, the odds that you have an interaction with a police officer where they inspect your rifle for AWB compliance is extremely low. Vast majority of traffic stops of law-abiding, middle class folks (aka people who make up vast majority of CalGuns) don't result in searches of their cars for weapons. And if traffic stops are your concern, just keep the upper separated from the lower until you get to the range, and you're covered (unless the cops are at the range doing compliance checks--something I've never heard of.)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

I'm a big fan of the Featureless Arms grip. I suspect the Sparrow is good too, but haven't tried it - they look fairly similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Just ordered 2 of the Sparrow grips this morning and already received shipping notice. If i like em i'll order more.

Also ordered 5 of the Strike adapters.

Already have comps on 2 rifles and will probably use comps on the others. No registration for me.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 12-19-2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I have seen guys do that to GI carbine stocks, and not realize the stock adjustment pin can still be pulled down manually. Sure the lever doesn't move, but that doesn't keep the stop pin from moving.

Ya, the hole I drilled goes through the lever and the metal shaft that houses the spring and pin so that the adjustment pin can not be moved down unless the rollpin I placed is removed.
Old 12-19-2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkman View Post
Just ordered 2 of the Sparrow grips this morning and already received shipping notice. If i like em i'll order more.

Also ordered 5 of the Strike adapters.

Already have comps on 2 rifles and will probably use comps on the others. No registration for me.

Al
I donít think youíll be disappointed. I chose sparrow over liberal because itís a little less bulky.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:16 AM

That sparrow grip looks badass! I think im getting that!
Old 12-20-2017, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmai24 View Post
I donít think youíll be disappointed. I chose sparrow over liberal because itís a little less bulky.
Thought it looked more ergonomic than the other brand that looks like a square block more than an actual grip.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 12-20-2017, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexLocator View Post
Don't get the MOE Carbine stock. The rubber butt pad is hard as bricks. Keep the one you have and use a Strike Industries Stock Lock. It will make your adjustable stock fixed for $6 and it's completely reversible should you need to take it off and make adjustable again.
Those MOE carbine stocks are all I use here. I drill out a hole in the buffer tube so they sit back 1.4". Then there is clearance for the thumb to wrap around the grip.

I replaced the rubber butt pad with a PRS extended. Those work great and increase the length. They also work great for mortoring a stuck case.

These stocks are very tight once fastened, no more wobbles or rattles. I'd keep them even if featureless wasn't required here.