Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-10-2012, 7:43 PM

Default The safety on my WASR 10/63 didn't engage. HALP!

Today, I was teaching a first time shooter how to shoot my WASR and explaining how the safety functions. With the rifle unloaded and pointed in a safe direction, I pulled the charging handle, let it fly home, and then engaged the safety to show the person that the gun doesn't go bang when the trigger is pulled. Well, I pulled the trigger, safety on, and the rifle dry fired. Not only did this serve as a lesson to me that the safety on doesn't always mean the rifle can't fire, it confounded me as to how/why this happened. When I looked at my rifle, I saw that the pin which holds the trigger group in place worked its way out of the receiver somehow. The pin didn't come all the way out, but I did have to push it back into place. Once I did that, the safety operated as normal, but I'm nervous about shooting it until I can figure out what the problem is. At the moment, I don't have the time to take it apart and figure it out (I have to write a paper for class), but do any of you have some insight?
"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." - William S. Burroughs

Current collection: SIG P239, SA XD40sc, M&P Shield 9mm, SA 1911 Mil-Spec, Wasr-10, Mossberg 500, Ithaca M87, Yugo M59 SKS, M/N M44
Old 04-10-2012, 7:55 PM

Location: Chula Vista, San Diego, California, USA, North America

Order a FCG Pin Retaining Plate from ak-builder.com. Should take care of it.
The question is not "How far?". The question is "Do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?". - Il Duce/Prisoner#6570534 from Boondock Saints
Old 04-10-2012, 7:59 PM

Thanks a bunch! Now I'm just wondering how it happened in the first place.
"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." - William S. Burroughs

Current collection: SIG P239, SA XD40sc, M&P Shield 9mm, SA 1911 Mil-Spec, Wasr-10, Mossberg 500, Ithaca M87, Yugo M59 SKS, M/N M44
Old 04-10-2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
Lulz where's norcalK9? He will tell you that wasr is wayyy better than arsenal in every shape.
yeah...um...thanks for laughing at the problem?

Old 04-10-2012, 8:04 PM

Take the FCG out and check for burrs on the inside of the two larger cross pin holes. The burrs will keep the retaining wire from engaging the grooves in the cross pins.
Old 04-10-2012, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah I forget whether century uses E-clips or a wire retainer. Either way ditch that sucker and install a red star retainer plate. You'll never have that problem again.

Good helpful post luckystrike
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 04-11-2012, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

I've had crappy hooks from Century too. Don't both with it, just go straight for the plate instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Banned

Yikes..couple of WASR issues on the board lately..glad i went M10 and Interarms..situation could have been worse I guess
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbo31 View Post
Yikes..couple of WASR issues on the board lately..glad i went M10 and Interarms..situation could have been worse I guess
Here we go again...
Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get a Redstar Retaining Plate and don't look back.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV