Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-19-2017, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Default Question about USAR - Future Soldiers (recruiters expertise desired).

Can a Future Soldier that signed a USAR contract change it to Active Duty before they actually ship out? Can it be done, what are the consequences?

Can a Future Soldier up and quit before they ship out?

Where I’m going with this:

As an incoming Company Commander I intend to meet with all my current and new future soldiers (with their squad leader/sponsor).

If in that conversation they realize they’d like to change their decision I’d like to be able to point them in the right direction.
Old 07-20-2017, 6:03 AM

Default Not sure

I think it would be best to talk with a recruiter for the most up to date information.

My personal experience with trying to change status after basic and some medic school was this -
I remember when I was in medic school at Fort Sam an Airborne Staff Sergeant came by one day recruiting RA trainees for Airborne. I was USAR and was told I had to be released by my home unit commander. By the time I finished my AIT & OJT I decided on a different path so I never ended up going Airborne.
Old 07-20-2017, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

I figured it would be best to talk with a current recruiter I just wanted to see what I could get here.

The largest anticipated problem I see is kids sign up expecting something completely else. Especially those wanting education benefits only to find out they don't get jack from Post 9/11 without any deployments or active time.

Then there are those that just can't make the reserve commitment work in their lives, and they end up getting Chaptered out because they flake on Drill Dates.

Some are better off going active, and others are better off in life never having joined at all.

I figured if I can redirect them better before they ship and actually become mine then all the better.
Old 07-20-2017, 5:49 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
I figured it would be best to talk with a current recruiter I just wanted to see what I could get here.

The largest anticipated problem I see is kids sign up expecting something completely else. Especially those wanting education benefits only to find out they don't get jack from Post 9/11 without any deployments or active time.

Then there are those that just can't make the reserve commitment work in their lives, and they end up getting Chaptered out because they flake on Drill Dates.

Some are better off going active, and others are better off in life never having joined at all.

I figured if I can redirect them better before they ship and actually become mine then all the better.
Side topic: I see alot of reservist who should of never joined...

Back to the topic....
Old 07-25-2017, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

I'll give it a go. I'm recently picked up a job working IT/computer work full time, 40 hours. I did my AT already for this year. But I'm finding it increasingly difficult to manage reserve commitments. I actually loose money commuting to drill. I almost lost it recently before I could even get home I get blown up by my command " We need this form NTL 2000 hours". I'm still commuting home before I can even get home and unwind and relax. It's things like constant email ccorrospoence, getting random texts and keeping up to date with current unit affairs and drill dates plus study material that makes being in the reserves more difficult than active duty.

When I worked part-time going to school. It was a good balance.

Active duty you work monday-friday, enjoy your weekends. Your life is pre-scrippted. Your agenda decided for you. By no means a cake walk either.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 07-25-2017 at 3:57 PM..
Old 07-29-2017, 6:57 AM

Default Don't get Jack?

I'm not sure if I agree with the don't get Jack.

I was an active USAR before 9/11 & before and after the Montgomery Bill. I enlisted because I had a sense of duty and honor which (in the early 1980's) was less common than now.

I didn't "get Jack" until the Montgomery Bill came to be, and that was halfway through college. I also didn't get deployed for Desert Storm so I never got the pre or post 911 GI bill benefits. I actually get more benefits now than I did pre 9/11.

Reserve forces deploy much more now than back when they were part of the Cold War Armed Forces so you really need to counsel the prospective USAR member that they will likely deploy, likely more than once - during their period of service.

I agree totally that it is a great challenge balancing civilian life with Reserve commitments. That is the factor I think that you should stress in career guidance. You should also recommend they volunteer for deployment as early as possible to open up the benefits that have a 90 day consecutive service requirement.

As far as educational benefits you should refer people to this web page for all of the educational benefits available to Reservists, not all of the programs listed have the 90 day consecutive service requirement. http://www.usar.army.mil/Featured/Re...onal-Benefits/

Quote:

Last edited by peterinsj; 07-29-2017 at 7:07 AM..
Old 10-24-2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Can a Future Soldier that signed a USAR contract change it to Active Duty before they actually ship out? Can it be done, what are the consequences?

Can a Future Soldier up and quit before they ship out?

Where I’m going with this:

As an incoming Company Commander I intend to meet with all my current and new future soldiers (with their squad leader/sponsor).

If in that conversation they realize they’d like to change their decision I’d like to be able to point them in the right direction.
As a prior recruiter I can say that just about anything can be changed before they ship out. They can also quit before they ship out also. It doesn't look good if they decide to try to join again or another branch of service. There are really no repercussions. I would encourage them to be sure of what they want to do to a certain degree and fix it before they go. We all know that when they leave its all over.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:35 PM

Got off recruiting duty 6 months ago. One thing you learn is this: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE ON RECRUITING DUTY. The answer to both questions is yes. However, please do not take it upon yourself to actually be a recruiter. There are many many things in play behind the scenes that get mixed up when someone wants a component code change and that kid filled a vital role in that reserve spot. Talk to the kids recruiter alone about any reservations, and try to remember, the kid doesn't even know what USAR stands for yet when you meet him/her.
Old 11-14-2017, 8:16 PM
Veteran Member

I've given up.

Occasionally I will meet one. If I do their shipment date really is just around the corner anyway. So there is no time to act upon anything.

In the last month I must of signed at least six involuntary separations for lack of attendance, and tonight I signed another two.

If they miss 4.5 days worth of drill in a 12 month period (unexcused) then BOOM, they are out.

My bar for an excused absence is pretty low. They don't even have to make it up if they don't want to (it's on them to get a good year in terms of points).

They are just not showing up at all. No one can reach them, and they are just a name on a roster no one has seen.

So yea, they are worthless soldiers, but these separations will haunt them for the rest of their lives, when they would have been better off in life just staying on the couch without a black mark following them even in the event they to figure themselves out down the road.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've given up.

Occasionally I will meet one. If I do their shipment date really is just around the corner anyway. So there is no time to act upon anything.

In the last month I must of signed at least six involuntary separations for lack of attendance, and tonight I signed another two.

If they miss 4.5 days worth of drill in a 12 month period (unexcused) then BOOM, they are out.

My bar for an excused absence is pretty low. They don't even have to make it up if they don't want to (it's on them to get a good year in terms of points).

They are just not showing up at all. No one can reach them, and they are just a name on a roster no one has seen.

So yea, they are worthless soldiers, but these separations will haunt them for the rest of their lives, when they would have been better off in life just staying on the couch without a black mark following them even in the event they to figure themselves out down the road.
They don't even have to make it up or file a SUTA?? That is relaxed. The mere fact they're ghosting the unit and UTA 100% is insane.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
They don't even have to make it up or file a SUTA?? That is relaxed. The mere fact they're ghosting the unit and UTA 100% is insane.
It's on my approval if they so choose to not make it up. However, they still have to submit a request within the given timeline with a valid and documented reason.

I really don't care if they make it up or not.

We are getting slammed with so many training days I'm really trying to accommodate my soldiers conflict with the USAR crushing us. I have 107 days of training, meetings and exercises scheduled for the last 12 month period, and 70+ days of those are in conflict with work days.

I'm essentially looking for an exit plan myself that keeps my service record intact. Our national defense policy needs more active military, not to run the reserves into the ground by shorting them BAH with orders broken up to avoid being called a deployment/mobilization, and making it prohibitive to be employed.