Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 02-20-2018, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

Default Looking For a Good Bushcrafting Campsite In Norcal

Hey there folks!

Myself and few buddies are interested in doing some primitive or dispersed camping this spring, and honestly, I know too much about legal primitive camping in Northern CA. As a child, we did a lot of off-road camping with my dad, but I've recently realized we were pretty much trespassing every time. /oops!

Anyways, I'm looking for a secluded area where my buddies and I can practice shelter building (with downed timber/debris) and other camp based bush crafting tasks. Totally fine getting whatever permits are necessary as well. I want to do it by the book.

As for preferred location, anything from Sacramento to Mt Shasta is fair game. Thanks in advance for your insight!

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 02-20-2018, 9:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
Hey there folks!

Myself and few buddies are interested in doing some primitive or dispersed camping this spring, and honestly, I know too much about legal primitive camping in Northern CA. As a child, we did a lot of off-road camping with my dad, but I've recently realized we were pretty much trespassing every time. /oops!

Anyways, I'm looking for a secluded area where my buddies and I can practice shelter building (with downed timber/debris) and other camp based bush crafting tasks. Totally fine getting whatever permits are necessary as well. I want to do it by the book.

As for preferred location, anything from Sacramento to Mt Shasta is fair game. Thanks in advance for your insight!
I'm in the same boat looking for spots away from people and established campsites.
Old 02-20-2018, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have a great suggestion but it is so remote that you really need to be prepared for anything. The road to get out to the area can be impassable based on weather conditions but once there you'll be pretty much isolated with maybe a stray gold prospector here or there.

Last time I was there we had a mountain lion that let us know it was in the area so if you decide on this area be prepared:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moores_Flat,_California
Old 02-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
Have a great suggestion but it is so remote that you really need to be prepared for anything. The road to get out to the area can be impassable based on weather conditions but once there you'll be pretty much isolated with maybe a stray gold prospector here or there.

Last time I was there we had a mountain lion that let us know it was in the area so if you decide on this area be prepared:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moores_Flat,_California
Thanks Dave!

During the dry season, can the road be traveled by a 2-wheel drive truck? I didn't splurge for the 4x4.

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Several established locations near Mormon Emigrant Trail. I can't give exact coordinates but you should probably be able to google fu something.