Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 6:56 PM
Veteran Member

Default Wife out of the blue hits me up about CCW. What guns?

Hello
My wife is a teacher that has shot firearms but hasn't been into them like myself. She wants to pick up an application for CCW on Thursday. I'm cool as heck with it but my CCW guns are MINE. She can get her own. My question for you ladies is what would be best CCW guns for mainly diaper bag or purse carry? I think that is how she will roll. I'd like to get her a 10mm 1911 but that is not her lol (I want one though). I was thinking the Ruger LC9? What are your thoughts? I know she will try some on but I'm just looking for a base to start from because from a guys perspective I would CCW an RPG.
Thank you.
Old 11-13-2012, 7:02 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Not a lady but my .02 says....

Think of something that could be fired from the diaper bag with out having issues. I suggest a hammerless 357. S&W 640 or similar.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 11-13-2012, 7:17 PM
Veteran Member

A great little gun for a great price (IMO) would be the Taurus PT709 slim.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 11-13-2012, 7:26 PM

Wow, it didnt take long for you to pass the sickness on to her huh? Lol. The good thing about it is she will be more open to getting more guns and another/ or bigger safe! ;-)
...speaking of which, maybe ill start working on convincing my wife to apply for one too! Lol
Old 11-13-2012, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggarHappy View Post
Wow, it didnt take long for you to pass the sickness on to her huh? Lol. The good thing about it is she will be more open to getting more guns and another/ or bigger safe! ;-)
...speaking of which, maybe ill start working on convincing my wife to apply for one too! Lol
We going for sure thursday so tell he to go also. They can do the range date and stuff at same time also. Either way Ill stop buy after we done see the new baby.
Old 11-13-2012, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
A great little gun for a great price (IMO) would be the Taurus PT709 slim.
I never seen one until right now on youtube. That double/single action trigger looks very very interesting. I will defiantly tell he about this and the other 2 hammerless 38/357 also posted. Maybe both lol.
Old 11-13-2012, 7:58 PM

I think you meant to get women's opinions on this, and you will, here in the Women's Forum. If you had wanted men's opinions, I'm sure you would have posted somewhere else....

For starters, I'm assuming here that she isn't a serious shooter at this time and doesn't own her own gun.

First, she should go to a handgun safety class. She's going to have to pass a safety test anyway in order to purchase, and she'll learn a lot. And she's going to have to go to a Carry class later. I imagine you know that you can't purchase a handgun for her in your name.

Next thing is for her to try out on the range, every gun you own, carry size or not, to determine a model and caliber she likes. (It would be better if you didn't go with her to micromanage. No offense meant, but men do it unintentionally.)

Then she goes to the gun shop alone, without you, and handles more guns until she finds one she likes. And does not buy it on the spot. Off she goes to the range to rent her top three picks, if you don't already own them. THEN she can make an intelligent decision.

I know this sounds like a lot of process, but we've all been through it time and again. If she doesn't like the gun, she won't practice. If she doesn't practice, she won't be able to defend herself. And if she isn't totally up on safety, she's a danger to herself and your child.

So put off gun selection, until you get the basics in hand. She also needs to get totally clear on whether she is allowed to carry on school grounds, even if she is a teacher and even if she has a CCW. (I'm not sure on this, but she should be).

What she can shoot through is the least of your problems. If she's juggling a baby, a handbag and a diaper bag, how will she ever draw-aim-fire? Better to learn to shoot well first and figure out carry options second.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 11-13-2012, 7:59 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

welcome to the Ladies Forum! you've come to the right place to get our opinion....and i'm assuming you've searched the forum and/or read the stickie related to this topic at the top of the forum......

the best gun is the one she will practice with.
handle as many as she can in the gun shops.
is there one of yours that she likes? has she shot it at the range?
next after handling as many guns as possible she should be shooting as many different guns as possible. sometimes a pistol fits the hand well....until one shoots the thing.

i'm trying to remember but if i remember right a poster here didn't like the pistol you mentioned due to the recoil.

is she into revolvers or semi-autos? different beasts with different attributes as you well know. she needs to decide what is going to work for her.

thanks for asking for our feedback. i'm sure some of the other women will chime in as well.

oh, and congrats that your wife wants to do this....perhaps she'd also like to come and do some research and/or chat with us? just a suggestion.....at least while she's on the hunt for the perfect pistol for herself.....

i do not have a CCW but i do like revolvers. the .38/.357 is a great choice because she can practice with the .38's and carry the .357. going that route, though, make sure to get a metal revolver! the air/light weight revolvers are a pain in the hand due to recoil. even men complain about it. i shot one and almost didn't continue on with renting guns to try out due to the kick.

oh, and where do you guys live that its so easy to get a CCW?!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 11-13-2012, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
I think you meant to get women's opinions on this, and you will, here in the Women's Forum. If you had wanted men's opinions, I'm sure you would have posted somewhere else....
For the record, I am female.

My suggestion for the Taurus PT709 slim still stands.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 11-15-2012, 4:00 PM

Take her to browse what a rental place may have. I use a Shield, m&p9c, g26, I have stopped using solely revolvers.

The Shield has worked the best for me when going to more dressed up places for work, very slim, and just a high quality fire arm.

Hold and feel at a rental place, then try the ones that feel nice out and shoot a few, then look for nice holster, bam youre in business.
Old 11-15-2012, 9:00 PM

My wife was enamored with the xd9 sub, and felt it was balanced and pointed well. She has a Glock 35 for range work... Way too big for ccw. I would also second the mp shield also!
Old 11-16-2012, 5:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Go to brunch, then after a nice brunch take your wife to a gun store[s] and let her pick out her own gun.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by john67elco View Post
Hello
My wife is a teacher that has shot firearms but hasn't been into them like myself. She wants to pick up an application for CCW on Thursday. I'm cool as heck with it but my CCW guns are MINE. She can get her own. My question for you ladies is what would be best CCW guns for mainly diaper bag or purse carry? I think that is how she will roll. I'd like to get her a 10mm 1911 but that is not her lol (I want one though). I was thinking the Ruger LC9? What are your thoughts? I know she will try some on but I'm just looking for a base to start from because from a guys perspective I would CCW an RPG.
Thank you.
For mothers day I am sure you would want to buy your wife that outboard motor you have always wanted .
Old 11-16-2012, 6:59 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
For mothers day I am sure you would want to buy your wife that outboard motor you have always wanted .
and to riff off of Bugguts: and for fathers' day she can buy you a bra......

sorry, i couldn't resist! joke between most of us women re a man buying a gun that a woman is going to use!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 11-16-2012, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

My friend used to own a real nice gun shop and I would go in and play gun shop employee. Guys would bring in his wife/ girlfriends to buy a gun he thought was the proper one. It never was!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 5:18 PM

My girlfriend loves my Keltec PF9. It's easy to conceal and packs a nice punch.
Old 11-18-2012, 5:57 PM

Apropos of the "shoot from inside the bag" thing, I highly recommend Kathy Jackson's recent article on the subject, available at http://www.corneredcat.com/do-you-kn...o-use-a-purse/. Long story short, shooting from inside a bag sounds good in theory, but even at close range it's surprisingly difficult to pull off effectively. Not to mention the problem of what you do when a thief tries to snatch your purse/diaper bag...

I agree with the advice others have given about picking a gun (let her try as many guns as she can get her hands on and decide for herself). But I think it's also important that she honestly assess the tradeoffs of carrying a gun off-body and decide whether they're worth it.

Tammy

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." ~ Amelia Earhart

"Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you make it." ~ Unknown
Old 11-18-2012, 6:34 PM

My wife is also a teacher and is going to be getting her LTC. I took her to several stores and she is probably going to be getting the M&P9C. She likes the feel of that the best so far. I'd recommend taking her to the stores and letting her feel as many as possible. Only she will know what she will be most comfortable with.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and to riff off of Bugguts: and for fathers' day she can buy you a bra......

sorry, i couldn't resist! joke between most of us women re a man buying a gun that a woman is going to use!
LMAO! MAN BOOBS!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 1:25 PM

What gun? What ever she wants. As she receives more training she will decide what is more comfortable and practical for her needs.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
C3 Leader

Any updates on the favored weapon? Glad she's interested in getting a CCW

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
Any updates on the favored weapon? Glad she's interested in getting a CCW
She is liking the ruger sr9c. She has 2 wants. 1. Small enough to ccw but large enough to handle the slide with ease. 2. She is demanding an external thumb safety. So I'm kind of limited on what she wants 100% but yeah I'm leaving it all up to her. We went to LGS and held some but now she wants to shoot them before buying. I'm still pushing a Blackhawk 44 with 10 1/2" barrel I will let you know how that plays out. Please any ideas on ccw purses? She watched YouTube video but wants to go somewhere and actually handle some. Does Ontario or costa Mesa shows have booths that sell them? She is a left shoulder carrier. Thanks all.
Old 12-05-2012, 6:34 AM

I have my CCW and I carry an XD9 sub and a Sig P239. I don't carry in a bag or purse, it's on body.
Old 12-10-2012, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm925 View Post
My girlfriend loves my Keltec PF9. It's easy to conceal and packs a nice punch.
I thought of this gun as well. I own it and have shot it extensively. I carry it concealed, and as a BU weapon on duty.
Personally, I don't actually like to shoot it. It is deadly accurate, but I find it uncomfortable to shoot a ton: too small. I am used to much bigger guns. A student tried it the other day, and LOVED it. So, to each their own.

Vermont: the state with no gun laws and the third lowest crime rate. Huh.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 AM

Welcome Barbie! I saw in another thread that you're new here. We're glad you're here, glad to have your thoughts and opinions.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Also, not a lady here but I will offer a few thoughts.

My wife likes her XD-9 and so she got an XD-9 Subcompact for carry.

I had to replace a gun on my permit and the Ruger SR40c caught my eye. It's a very manageable small gun in this caliber! They put some magic sauce in it that makes recoil dissapear! Or so it would seem, anyway. Unexpectedly tame for a compact lightweight .40. I would definitely recommend she at least look at the SR9c and the SR40c (no, they're not just a different slide on top of the same frame, they are different!).