Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Default Problems reloading lead cast bullets

I've just recently been reloading lead cast bullets in 9mm and 45acp and I can't seem to figure out why my bullets is causing the ammo to not chamber all the way. I don't have a problem using copper bullets and I know my dies are set correctly. It's almost as if there is a bulge at the bottom of the case. I am case gauging the ammo by the way. Thoughts?
Old 07-06-2010, 1:45 PM

Have you adjusted your dies for the bullets you are having problems with? My experience has shown that hardcast bullets are not as uniform as jacketed bullets. I would try expanding the mouth a little wider. If its a feedinv issue try seating your bullets deeper?

However it could just be the gun. My 1911 feeds everything but my glock does not like the same rounds.
Old 07-06-2010, 1:49 PM

Thanks....I have tried expanding the the mouth, but haven't tried seating the bullet deeper yet. It's not the gun, won't sit flush in the barrel in a glock, and my 2 sigs.
Old 07-06-2010, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tools2teach View Post
Thanks....I have tried expanding the the mouth, but haven't tried seating the bullet deeper yet. It's not the gun, won't sit flush in the barrel in a glock, and my 2 sigs.
I hope you have an aftermarket barrel on your Glock. If not, please don't shoot lead unless you are very aware of the risks involved and have extra hands, eyes and ears waiting for you at your surgeon's favorite trama center.

As far as the bullets go, different bullet profiles will require different OALs. So, if you are still using dies adjusted for your plated or jacketed bullets, they are probably NOT adjusted properly for your new bullets. If you were closer, I'd invite you up to figure out just what is wrong and test a few rounds.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-06-2010, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I hope you have an aftermarket barrel on your Glock. If not, please don't shoot lead unless you are very aware of the risks involved and have extra hands, eyes and ears waiting for you at your surgeon's favorite trama center.
Please elaborate on the dangers...
Old 07-06-2010, 2:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tools2teach View Post
Please elaborate on the dangers...
KABOOM!

Anyways, did you size the bullet after you cast them?
Old 07-06-2010, 2:08 PM

I don't cast them myself, I bought them from Dardas bullets.
Old 07-06-2010, 2:10 PM

You don't say what your OAL is or bullet you're using. My guess is that it's too long.
Old 07-06-2010, 2:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh. haha I thought you casted them yourself... haha

Glock is known for having some issues with lead bullets...so that is why he's saying that.
Old 07-06-2010, 2:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Factory Glock barrels have a different type of rifling that tends to lead up quickly and causes excessive presures to expel the bullet. Once that happens, your gun is highly likely to blow up in your hand. Please, get an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling if you are going to shoot lead through your Glock.

BTW, I cast my own lead bullets and have shot 10s of 1000s of them from my guns. However, I am very careful about running them through the only Glock I own.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-06-2010, 3:20 PM

You can shoot lead out of your factory clock barrel but it is not recommended. I shot thousands of lead rounds through my G30 before I became aware of the pressure dangers. If you are shooting. 40 I wouldn't even risk it. If you do shoot lead then make sure you check your barrel for excessive leading. I ended up buying a Lone Wolf replacement barrel so I could shoot lead. The only thing is the LW barrel has a tighter chamber than he glock barrel and wont feed my reloads no matter how deep I seat them.
Old 07-06-2010, 3:48 PM

My glock isn't my primary....I shoot my sig the most, but from what you guys are telling me, then I am not going to take that chance to save a few dollars. I would be devastated to no end if I were to screw it up.
Old 07-07-2010, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
The only thing is the LW barrel has a tighter chamber than he glock barrel and wont feed my reloads no matter how deep I seat them.
There is this thing called the "Glock bulge" casings. Have you tried a EGW or Lee "undersize" resizing die to remove most of the bulge?

Just thought I'd share.

Last edited by Enter_the_Dragon; 07-07-2010 at 1:55 PM..
Old 07-07-2010, 4:13 PM

A couple of suggestions,
Make sure your crimp/seat die isn't hitting the top of the case too much, forcing a bulge just behind the bullet.
I have also seen where my resizing die wasn't coming all the way down to the bottom of the casing, making it a little fatter right at the bottom.
Old 07-07-2010, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
A couple of suggestions,
Make sure your crimp/seat die isn't hitting the top of the case too much, forcing a bulge just behind the bullet.
I have also seen where my resizing die wasn't coming all the way down to the bottom of the casing, making it a little fatter right at the bottom.
Another suggestion use a a separate Seating and Tapered Crimp dies.

XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 07-07-2010, 6:19 PM

I found out what the issue was. I wasn't seating the the bullet far down enough. The depth is different for lead then it is for brass. There is no information on OAL in of my reloading books. Seating depth is pretty deep to where the the straight wall of the bullet ends at the top end of the casing. Should I be worried about high pressure?
Old 07-07-2010, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
The only thing is the LW barrel has a tighter chamber than he glock barrel and wont feed my reloads no matter how deep I seat them.
I reload w/ my Lee 4 die deluxe set and those reloads just feed fine in the LW barrel...I love Lee die sets since the carbide Factory Crimp Die checks the size of the case, ensuring that every round will chamber properly in my gun.

Last edited by CoolCalGunner; 07-07-2010 at 7:07 PM..