Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Question Removal of muzzle nut on ak47

I have a WASR 10/63 and it came with a muzzle nut and a spot weld on the bottom of it. It looks as if it's threaded on, then spot welded. So i would like to some how take that nut off and add a muzzle brake. How is this done? Are there threads under this nut? If i can add an after market brake do i need to add a weld to it to make is CA legal?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just cut the weld, unscrew the muzzle nut and screw on the muzzle brake of your choice. As long as your barrel is +16" without a muzzle attachment, you do not need to permanently attach anything to your barrel. Also, remember that you need to keep your rifle to 10 or less imported parts since 922(r) still applies.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 AM

So should i use a dermal to shave that weld off? And it is a reverse thread right?
About the 922r law. How is any cop ever going to know whats USA parts and whats not? but either way im going to get a USA brake.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:31 AM

If its anything like the weld on the DRACO's a dremel will do the job just fine. It took me about 5mins and thats only because I was trying to be careful.
MY AR Profile #1
Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yep, just use a cutting wheel and carefully cut the weld and grind it down. Just because 99.999% of LEOs don't know of this obscure Federal law doesn't mean that it should be ignored. In fact, 922(r) references "muzzle device" so, even your muzzle cap/thread protector is considered one of the parts that counts.

Just a side note: 922(r) ONLY applies to the assembly of long guns which can not be imported in their current configuration. It does not apply to possession or ownership of said guns.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

there is, or should be, a spring loaded locking plunger on the fsb. you will need to depress to remove. don't expect the new brake to thread on tightly, they fit loose.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM

yah i know how the plunger works. What can be put on the treads to keep it tight? lock tight maybe? maybe a DOT of JB weld where the old weld was? i know it will have to be something that handles some heat.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Be careful about locktight, I did used that, and it wound up gumming up the plunger so it wont come back out.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyfan1 View Post
yah i know how the plunger works. What can be put on the treads to keep it tight? lock tight maybe? maybe a DOT of JB weld where the old weld was? i know it will have to be something that handles some heat.
Don't put anything on there to keep it tight, the spring and detent does that job.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:34 PM

ok next ? what brake does its job? i see many different types.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've tested about half a dozen brakes on my AK pistol. The most effiecient one I've found is an AK74 style brake. The next best is one I bought from K-VAR a couple years ago. They don't seem to list it right now though.