Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-22-2013, 5:46 PM

Default Battlefield 4 (FOUR!)

Question 1: Will it have the same (for lack of a better term) ambiance as BF2? By that i mean the shear scale of the maps, array of vehicles, and just general chaos of a 64 player map?

Question 2: whats the minimum GPU/cpu needed to play it on whatever its max quality settings will be?

I love the squad based, strategy based gameplay of bf2 versus most other FPS's
Old 08-22-2013, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

1: Based on the multiplayer gameplay it may be closer to BF3 than BF2. Plus, I doubt they'll have 64 player maps just because of the sheer rending needed.

2: Not released yet but there are some expected requirements floating out there: http://bf4central.com/battlefield-4-...-requirements/

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 08-22-2013, 6:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
1: Based on the multiplayer gameplay it may be closer to BF3 than BF2. Plus, I doubt they'll have 64 player maps just because of the sheer rending needed.

2: Not released yet but there are some expected requirements floating out there: http://bf4central.com/battlefield-4-...-requirements/
why wouldn't it have 64 player maps? bf3 has it now, and to downgrade would be a horrible mistake.

plus rendering is client side. so if your pc can't render the map + 63 other players, oh well too bad for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 08-22-2013, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
why wouldn't it have 64 player maps? bf3 has it now, and to downgrade would be a horrible mistake.

plus rendering is client side. so if your pc can't render the map + 63 other players, oh well too bad for you.
Does it? I thought they capped it at 48 or something?

EDIT: My bad, it's capped on console. PC is 64 players. Then in that case never mind the first answer.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 08-22-2013, 8:07 PM

BF3 on pc is 64 players 360 and PS3 is 32 players.

BF4 on next gen consoles (Xbox One, PS4) is confirmed 64 players along with the pc version.

I can't wait

It is not about the GUN it is about the RIGHT

Gun control has its roots in RACISM and CLASSISM, if you support gun control you support those two evils

Old 08-24-2013, 6:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I heard somewhere that there BF4 on next gen consoles would have cross platform gameplay?? PC vs console would be awesome!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin 1818

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington 1790
Old 08-25-2013, 9:23 PM

have you seen the video clips?
b4 is war! of course its gonna be chaos!
moving from ps to pc. the new ps4 is outrageously expensive.

Bruce Lee
Old 08-26-2013, 7:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgiles View Post
have you seen the video clips?
b4 is war! of course its gonna be chaos!
moving from ps to pc. the new ps4 is outrageously expensive.
the computer i just built to run bf4 at max was about 4 times the price....
Old 08-26-2013, 7:42 PM

it'll be running fine on my XBOX ONE (i hope lmao)

RD Game Calls Silver Pro-Staff
RD Game Calls
Old 08-26-2013, 7:47 PM

I'm gonna hold off on bf4...from the earlier videos i saw it looks pretty much exactly like bf3. I'll just wait and see what the future brings i think.
Old 08-26-2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
so true.
fortunately, what i use for work can be used for gaming.

Bruce Lee
Old 08-26-2013, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
And that's cheap, hell two titans alone will run you more than 4 times the cost of either of the next gen consoles.

Gun control has its roots in RACISM and CLASSISM, if you support gun control you support those two evils

Old 08-26-2013, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiKDMoNKY View Post
I heard somewhere that there BF4 on next gen consoles would have cross platform gameplay?? PC vs console would be awesome!!!

Aiming on console is so much harder than aiming on PC. Console vs PC on FPS games would be imba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
And that's cheap, hell two titans alone will run you more than 4 times the cost of either of the next gen consoles.
Why would you need to run Titan SLI? The 780 by itself should be able to handle BF4.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
Why would you need to run Titan SLI? The 780 by itself should be able to handle BF4.
if you want to run a 3 screen setup with 3d enabled you might need sli titans
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 08-27-2013, 4:19 PM

Or a single 2560 or 4k monitor you would need more then one Titan for sure.

Old 08-27-2013, 8:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i would hesitate to say you would need two titans for bf4. we all know that dice cant code for **** and their games are resource whores but two seems a bit excessive. i run just a single now on two benq xl2420 screens with bf3 and have more than enough oomph.
Old 08-27-2013, 8:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
so true.
you sir are a lucky guy.
Old 10-29-2013, 8:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
so true.
i was jealous of you so i made up some excuse to buy a new work pc...

i7 gen 4 4770k
asus deluxe with wifi ac
16 gb corsair dominator
samsung ssd exo 250gb
corsair plat 850 psu
and im buying the new r9 290x as soon as it is released haha
Old 10-30-2013, 8:03 AM
Banned

Lol I feel so outta the loop with all this computer talk. I came for news about battlefield and left confused about how gaming computers work...
Old 11-06-2013, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerstörer View Post
Lol I feel so outta the loop with all this computer talk. I came for news about battlefield and left confused about how gaming computers work...
I know how you feel, i used to be pretty hip to the latest gaming tech, but my current rig is a 5 year ol water cooled (home brew)asus crosshair ii formula which used to be cutting edge, now im way behind.

Whats a "titan" some new gpu?
Old 11-06-2013, 2:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I know how you feel, i used to be pretty hip to the latest gaming tech, but my current rig is a 5 year ol water cooled (home brew)asus crosshair ii formula which used to be cutting edge, now im way behind.

Whats a "titan" some new gpu?
Recent would be a better descriptor, but even that's not quite right.

Nvidia's flagship chip is the GK110, which is the basis for the Titan. However it was originally marketed as the Tesla K20 for extremely high end computing with a bunch of extra features not used in gaming. Months later it was launched as "Titan" with the non-gaming features missing. However the GTX 780 was also GK110 based, but was a slightly gimped version of Titan. However the 780ti was recently launched which sits between the 780 and titan in terms of pricing and performance. The GTX 760 and 770 are actually based on the older GK104 chip.

That simple enough?
Old 11-09-2013, 2:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just put an Asus R9 280X 3GB (for $340 shipped) in my new rig and it runs BF4 maxed at 1080 between 60 and 100 FPS. My old Radeon 5870 could play it on high 1080, but the frame rate was 30 to 60 and images teared a lot. The game is awesome, but the big issue seems to be the server crashes and the "Battlefield4.exe is not responding" crashes. I was playing for hours yesterday without one crash, today I cannot play for more than a few minutes without it crashing or dropping me from the server. My experience on every new multiplayer BF version has been that it sucks for the first month or so, then they get the netcode straightened out and the game runs smooth. Hopefully that will be the case, if not I spent a lot of money on a new computer to play it for nothing!

Asus Sabertooth Z87
Intel i7 4770K (@4.5GHz)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
2x SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128GB (RAID 0)
Thermaltake SMART Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze
Corsair H100i water cooling
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin 1818

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington 1790

Last edited by WiKDMoNKY; 11-09-2013 at 2:50 PM..
Old 11-12-2013, 9:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

awesome fps numbers. i didnt think the 280x could run bf4 maxed at 60 fps, more around 40 fps. good to know my 290x will be running at least those rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiKDMoNKY View Post
I just put an Asus R9 280X 3GB (for $340 shipped) in my new rig and it runs BF4 maxed at 1080 between 60 and 100 FPS. My old Radeon 5870 could play it on high 1080, but the frame rate was 30 to 60 and images teared a lot. The game is awesome, but the big issue seems to be the server crashes and the "Battlefield4.exe is not responding" crashes. I was playing for hours yesterday without one crash, today I cannot play for more than a few minutes without it crashing or dropping me from the server. My experience on every new multiplayer BF version has been that it sucks for the first month or so, then they get the netcode straightened out and the game runs smooth. Hopefully that will be the case, if not I spent a lot of money on a new computer to play it for nothing!

Asus Sabertooth Z87
Intel i7 4770K (@4.5GHz)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
2x SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128GB (RAID 0)
Thermaltake SMART Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze
Corsair H100i water cooling
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green
Old 11-14-2013, 7:39 PM

Maybe someone can help. My BF4 is a little laggy. I have a AMD a10-6700 and AMD radon HD 8670 with 8gb ddr3. I'm not really computer savy
Old 11-14-2013, 8:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What resolution are you running the game at and what video quality do you have it set at? Did you update to the patch released a couple days ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw87 View Post
Maybe someone can help. My BF4 is a little laggy. I have a AMD a10-6700 and AMD radon HD 8670 with 8gb ddr3. I'm not really computer savy

Old 11-14-2013, 8:28 PM

[QUOTE=WiKDMoNKY;12768633]What resolution are you running the game at and what video quality do you have it set at? Did you update to the patch released a couple days ago?

Yeah just did a couple hours ago. What resolution and quality should I be at?
Old 11-15-2013, 6:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That is hard to say, what size screen do you have and what native resolution does it run? What are your current settings for resolution and video quality inside the game? I am running 1920x1080 resolution and have my video settings maxed out at Ultra on everything.

I think that your video card is what is causing the lag. Look at this benchmark chart http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gp...+8670D&id=2543 your card places dead last. I am assuming you have this computer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883220344 and it looks like your video card may be integrated to the motherboard, which is a big no-no in gaming. It looks like your motherboard has at least one PCI-e x16 slots, so you should be able to install a discrete video card ($200+). But the next issue is that the computer only has a 300w power supply and that is not going to run any of the mid-level or high end video cards (let alone it may not have the right power adapters for a better video card). A new 600w (my Radeon R9 280x needs at least a 750w power supply to run) or higher power supply could cost around $80+. I am not familiar with the processor you have and it may be a bottleneck for a better video card.

My opinion is that your computer was not built for high performance gaming. It might run BF4 better in Medium or Low video settings, but it will not look that good. If you are hell bent on gaming on a PC, buy or build another computer. If that is out of the question then get a console (Xbox, PS3 or 4).

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw87 View Post
Yeah just did a couple hours ago. What resolution and quality should I be at?

Last edited by WiKDMoNKY; 11-15-2013 at 7:05 AM..
Old 12-26-2013, 9:52 AM

Anyone pick this up over Christmas?

I screwed around for a few hours online last night and was trying to get used to the canted sights mod (coupled with a scope) on the starter AK weapon (Assault) and it was pretty fun, definitely takes some time getting used to swapping back and forth....
Old 12-26-2013, 9:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Will it look really good if you have a good enough computer? YOU BET!
Will it have the level system that rewards people for playing more? OF COURSE!
Will I buy it? HELL NO!

BF 1942 was great, BF2 where they introduced the experience and levels is where it started to go off the rails, which is too bad because I like everything else about the game. Shooters should not have unlocks and all that BS. Same stuff for everybody, let skill be the factor that determines who the good players are, not time spent.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
Will it look really good if you have a good enough computer? YOU BET!
Will it have the level system that rewards people for playing more? OF COURSE!
Will I buy it? HELL NO!

BF 1942 was great, BF2 where they introduced the experience and levels is where it started to go off the rails, which is too bad because I like everything else about the game. Shooters should not have unlocks and all that BS. Same stuff for everybody, let skill be the factor that determines who the good players are, not time spent.
while i agree that some weapons are superior to others due to mods, i will say that the two games are extremely different. i played bf1942 competitively, logged over 3600 hours, ranked in the top ten in the world and won several tournaments...i know, i was a total loser haha. i was in physical therapy after surgery and couldnt do much but game.

that being said, the talent these new versions of battlefield require is absolutely 10 fold. the game is sooooo much faster paced and every move takes an extreme amount of skill whereas in older versions you could get away with a lot more camp based maneuvers. i would dread coming up with strats for the new bf4, there are so many variables. if you were good at bf1942 and werent a professional camper, you should be able to make the transition to bf4 pretty seamlessly. i actually tend to use iron sites for small maps (24) and an acog for larger maps with the canted sites.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

I miss camping.
I miss long range sniping headshots with people claiming you are cheating. What is wrong with camping. Hell a good camper learns the spawn cycles, locations, and best angles like any good sniper and then sets up and waits.

Then spawn kills people in chains. I loved doing that. I once kept a player in "death" for an entire match. Totally worth it.

Anyways, until they let me use my Nostromo I will not play competitively.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renardsubtil View Post
Anyone pick this up over Christmas?

I screwed around for a few hours online last night and was trying to get used to the canted sights mod (coupled with a scope) on the starter AK weapon (Assault) and it was pretty fun, definitely takes some time getting used to swapping back and forth....
I have had it since the x1 launch.

Fun game. Much better than BF3 (on the x360). The game completely reminds me of the feel of BFBC2 on the x360, only with the large maps and numbers of players PC players have had all these years.

In any case, the game is pretty darn fun. Most of the maps are really well designed.

My only gripe about the game is the Rush mode is not as fun to play is in BFBC2 or BF3. I don't know if it is people not playing it right or the map design, but I've hardly been in a game where the defenders didn't get over run in a matter of moments. In BFBC2 or BF3, there were certain points where the defenders could hold out and stop the attacker or at least hold on for awhile. I have been in games where it was really coming down to the wire and it was really exciting.

Not so in Rush in BF4. I've basically avoided the mode and play conquest instead, for big map shinnanigans.

I will say the classes in BF4 seem really well balanced and the weapons are very well balanced as well. Everything has a trade off in every class.

If you like the BF series at all, BF4 will be a well worth it pick up for you.