Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 5:32 PM

Default Winter Sacramento Areas to Go Plinking ???

I'm looking for shooting areas off of hwy 50 below snow & winter road closures to go plinking with handguns and long guns.

BLM areas off south of hwy 50 or even north of 50.

I'm ok with driving as far south as North Fork Mokelumne River and east to the El Dorado Nat Forest eastern edges.

It is weird I can down load for free 1/24000 Topo maps, but can't get free BLM or Forestry Maps.

If anyone has the BLM Placerville - Surface Management which covers the area I mention above in digital format, please pm me.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 5:40 PM

Me too! If someone can get them to me, I'll scan them and post here in the Sacramento Chapter Forum and the NorCal Forums
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 PM

I've seen a couple maps, for specific areas. However, those areas do not allow target shooting or plinking. You can get a maps from the BLM office in Folsom.
Old 12-29-2012, 4:45 AM

I have tried to find digital versions of BLM maps and so far have found nothing.
Old 12-29-2012, 5:20 AM

coloma/georgetown
Old 12-29-2012, 6:16 AM

Someone did a google maps BLM overlay a while ago. I'll try to find it and post it ip

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Here's the link for the thread about BLM overlays on google earth.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=634070

Not all BLM properties allow for target shooting/plinking.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM

go up to pollock pines, take sly park road to mormon emigrant trail to bonetti road, theres a couple nice spots under the snow level usually.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal Industries View Post
go up to pollock pines, take sly park road to mormon emigrant trail to bonetti road, theres a couple nice spots under the snow level usually.
I live 2 miles from there and there is 6+ inches of snow on the ground right now.
Old 12-29-2012, 7:29 PM

Honestly, BLM land for target shooting/plinking is pretty rough in the foothills South of say the Georgetown area.
I would agree to stay on NF and below the snow level, unless you have the ability to traverse the snow. If you do, shooting in the NF above the snow level, is great. Not to mention far less people. Just be prepared!
Old 12-31-2012, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
Here's the link for the thread about BLM overlays on google earth.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=634070

Not all BLM properties allow for target shooting/plinking.
This was a great help, I was able to add on the BLM layer for Google Earth. I wish it was just boundaries instead of large color blocks, but it is easy to turn on/off to see the map layer below the BLM layer.

Thanks for taking the time to find that link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuff View Post
I live 2 miles from there and there is 6+ inches of snow on the ground right now.
Using Google Earth, Google Maps, Bing Maps, I can easily see many spots worth checking out along the route you mention. But that will have to wait until snow melts & ground drys out..

My main vehicle is a Pickup but not 4wdr. Even the lower elevations are too wet & muddy now, easily get stuck.

Although I would rather pay a little gas and get out away from people, the ol range will have to do for now.
Old 12-31-2012, 5:54 AM

Digging around on the internet for what I'm looking for I came across some interesting sites.

Free Topo Maps, this site gives you the latest version in GeoPDF which is apparently now the standard.

USGS Map locator & downloader

• To find a map, on the left side it has two selections, Navigate & Mark Points. Click on Navigate and double click where you want the map to zoom to. Just one click to center where you want the map then zoom down or out with the +/- just like google maps. You will notice the layer with the Topo Map Names these are in 1:24000 scale or 7.5min.
• To get a map, click on Mark Points, then click somewhere in the grid square of the map you want. In about 5 seconds a Point Marker appears, put your mouse over the marker and click, a popup appears with the top selection being the Topo map, click on the + and it will add that map to your download basket.

So if you clicked inside the Coloma grid you would get the Point Marker, then click on that marker to add that map to your download basket.

The next site USGS National Map Viewer is really interesting and has the BLM overlay. There are a bunch of function/features on with this viewer, and you will have to play with it.

Note you can find areas using the Topo map sections from the previous site. For example in the search bar type in: camino
That is the Topo area south of hwy 50 above Placerville.
• Next, in the upper left corner of the map, you will see icons you can click on, click on the hand, now you can move the map around with your mouse to adjust position.
• In the Left Column under Overlays, is all the layers you can add or subtract to the map. Turn them all off and then on one at a time, to see what is displayed. Turning on Government Unit Boundaries will show BLM land.
• You will notice it shows both National Forest (NF) or ELDF El Dorado Nat Forest, and some BLM. Hardly any BLM. I cross checked the BLM patch split by Fort Jim Rd near Newtown and both Google Earth and this National Map viewer render it the same.

There are so many layers and things you can do with this.

I haven't tried the download feature yet.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by walterwhite; 01-03-2013 at 6:37 AM.. Reason: correct spelling