Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 6:16 PM

Arrow CRPA

I am already a member of the NRA, SAF and GOA.

Is the CRPA worth joining / donating to?

NRA - Life Member | NRA Certified Instructor
SAF - Life Member | CRPA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Old 01-26-2013, 7:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes!

They are in Sacramento tracking and working with legislation with our interests and support many shooting sports. Look at their newsletter, "The Firing Line".

The president likes to demonize, lets not let him demonize just one group such as the NRA, but 'keep and bear' many groups all that perform various functions that keep the opposition on their toes.

Maxine Waters recently said John Boehner was a "Demon"!

If that is the case, then our President keeps Unions and small Demons as pets.

Back in the early days of the Catholic church, when the center of church was divided between Rome and France, one Pope noted the other Pope "kept small demons as pets"; guess we are back to constructive criticism...

‘With malice towards none.’ - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-26-2013, 7:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You should probably do some background reading:

http://savecrpa.org/

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Oh Dear

‘With malice towards none.’ - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like CRPA is a drama zone. I'd say to the OP to give to CGF.
Old 01-30-2013, 9:46 AM

Is CRPA the main organization that lobbies our Representatives in California?

GOA - Life Member
Old 01-30-2013, 9:48 AM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES13Raven View Post
Yes, and be careful of those with personal agendas, on both sides of CRPA.
Old 01-30-2013, 9:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From what I've gleaned from the new letters, CRPA holds a few banquets where the board members dress up in tuxedos and they sponsor competitions, including air rifles, which I do not consider to be firearms.

It really looks like a few guys who've found a nice way to earn a living and have some fun at the same time. I never hear anything about them in the news.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 01-30-2013, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
Ditto this.

The internet is like a 12 step group. Take what you need and leave the rest.
Old 01-30-2013, 9:56 AM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post
From what I've gleaned from the new letters, CRPA holds a few banquets where the board members dress up in tuxedos and they sponsor competitions, including air rifles, which I do not consider to be firearms.

It really looks like a few guys who've found a nice way to earn a living and have some fun at the same time. I never hear anything about them in the news.
Google:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=of...w=1366&bih=667
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
As an alternative lobbying group look at the GOC.

http://www.gunownersca.com/

Jorgy
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Resident Pork Rind Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post

For several years, I held an annual membership in the CRPA, but I was fairly disappointed with it. I haven't renewed my membership for a couple years, though, because my impression was that they were more concerned about the banquets and such. I was also hesitant to donate in addition to my annual membership fees, because it was never really clear to me how the money was being used.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
CGN Contributor

Well, on thing is CRPA is recognized by CMP. A CRPA membership qualifies you to buy ammo and. with a live fire cert. firearms from them.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

From my experience as a board member of a non-profit (not the CRPA) banquets usually generate funds. Often in substantial amounts. Considering that the CRPA, at least in part, uses its funds to pay for a rather effective lobbyist in Sacramento, I find the complaints on this issue hard to understand.
Old 01-30-2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincon View Post
From my experience as a board member of a non-profit (not the CRPA) banquets usually generate funds. Often in substantial amounts. Considering that the CRPA, at least in part, uses its funds to pay for a rather effective lobbyist in Sacramento, I find the complaints on this issue hard to understand.
How do you define effective? I'm not questioning your statement so much as asking whether this is a measurable quality.
Old 01-30-2013, 1:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
Actually the NRA is the lead org in Sacramento.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-30-2013, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Unfortunately, our banquets have historically been found lacking in ROI.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-30-2013, 1:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgyusa View Post
As an alternative lobbying group look at the GOC.

http://www.gunownersca.com/

Jorgy
GOA doesn't do anything in California. Sam at GOC does do some lobbying.

-Brandon

Old 01-30-2013, 2:02 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born To Glock View Post
How do you define effective? I'm not questioning your statement so much as asking whether this is a measurable quality.
Obviously my statement was qualitative, not quantitative. I based it on what I have heard from people actually working in Sacramento. As I recall, I have also seen CGF board members say as much.
Old 01-30-2013, 2:09 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Unfortunately, our banquets have historically been found lacking in ROI.

-Brandon
Seems that you made $6,000 from the banquets. Not a huge sum, but better than cost neutral. Also I notice there is quite a bit of revenue attributed to a general "Fundraising" category. I wonder if some of that might be directly or indirectly attributable to the banquets. In any case seems like a harmless activity, not too different from many things calgunners enjoy. Hardly a reason not to join or donate.
Old 01-30-2013, 4:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Seems that you made $6,000 from the banquets. Not a huge sum, but better than cost neutral. Also I notice there is quite a bit of revenue attributed to a general "Fundraising" category. I wonder if some of that might be directly or indirectly attributable to the banquets. In any case seems like a harmless activity, not too different from many things calgunners enjoy. Hardly a reason not to join or donate.
When seconds count, gun rights gala's are only minutes away.

-Brandon

Old 01-30-2013, 5:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not a harmless activity if it becomes the prominent feature of your own newsletter and gives the impression that your organization is more about social activities than about lobbying, activism and shooting.

From the news letter and financial information I've seen, it really does appear to me that there a few people making $100,000+ per year and throwing themselves banquets while doing so. I don't see being on the board of CRPA being a full-time employment position, so that seems excessive. I'd much rather see outreach at shooting ranges, literature in gun stores and much more frequent community activities to introduce new people to the sport than the glad handing and back slapping that occurs at those banquets.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 01-30-2013, 5:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

-Brandon
Quote:
Ultimately it's a different option and a way for those seeking comprehensive news, information
You know how I feel about CRPA, my displeasure has not changed but, Certainly more gun rights orgs are better than less. You partial quote above can really be said about most orgs. NO?

Last edited by taperxz; 01-30-2013 at 5:12 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 6:59 PM

While certainly not a scietific poll by any measure, it is interesting that (so far) 12 respondants would rather give $350 to either NRA-ILA, CGF, or SAF, rather than use the money to purchase a life membership in CRPA.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=692276

It's a real shame, though, because it seems like an organization like CRPA should be an important component of supporting the 2nd Amendment here in California, but based on the apparently bad perception out there, it's hard to imagine that they are actually effective or that the negative perception of them is misguided.
Old 01-30-2013, 7:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born To Glock View Post
While certainly not a scietific poll by any measure, it is interesting that (so far) 12 respondants would rather give $350 to either NRA-ILA, CGF, or SAF, rather than use the money to purchase a life membership in CRPA.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=692276

It's a real shame, though, because it seems like an organization like CRPA should be an important component of supporting the 2nd Amendment here in California, but based on the apparently bad perception out there, it's hard to imagine that they are actually effective or that the negative perception of them is misguided.

CRPA has a very good lobbyist in Sac. A yearly membership would not hurt you and help 2A in this state. Bottom line! I am not a CRPA fan, but they do have the only CA lobbyist in this state worth beans other than our local NRA lobbyist. At least that I know of.
Old 01-30-2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
CRPA has a very good lobbyist in Sac. A yearly membership would not hurt you and help 2A in this state. Bottom line! I am not a CRPA fan, but they do have the only CA lobbyist in this state worth beans other than our local NRA lobbyist. At least that I know of.
Thanks for the perspective. I just spent $83 for a 5-year membership. Maybe I'm throwing my money away, and maybe I'm not. Earlier today, I was contemplating the life membership option, so I guess this actually saves me some money.

Old 01-30-2013, 7:53 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:

-Brandon
I'm sorry, was that supposed to be an intelligent argument? Are you suggesting that we should not donate to the CRPA?
Old 01-30-2013, 8:22 PM
CGN Contributor

Every little bit helps
Old 01-30-2013, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm sorry, was that supposed to be an intelligent argument? Are you suggesting that we should not donate to the CRPA?
To your first inquiry, it was lighthearted and in the context of our cause. Perhaps you're not familiar enough with gun culture to recognize it.

To your second inquiry, not at all. In fact, I encourage people to become members and demand from us better leadership and higher return on their investment.

-Brandon

Old 01-31-2013, 7:04 AM

I just signed up for 3 years.

GOA - Life Member
Old 01-31-2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
I just signed up for 3 years.
Thanks very much for your membership and your support!

I can assure you, you won't be disappointed!

Great things are happening at CRPA and despite the considearble challenges ahead, we are going to fight like hell...........!!!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM

CRPA is not only involved in lobbying. They are also very active in promoting competitive shooting in California. The California High Power Rifle Team competes in Camp Perry under their banner. Recently, they issued a $14,000 grant to the Los Angeles Rifle & Revolver Club in order to purchase electronic targets for training the next generation of Olympic shooters.

Combined with what I know of their lobbying efforts in Sacramento, I'm sold on CRPA. I'm a member and plan to become a lifer at the first opportunity. Screw the naysayers.

PS I'm also an NRA member and make regular donations to Calguns.

Last edited by bluetentacle; 01-31-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 8:17 AM

CRPA is suing at least one oath-breaking, CCW-denying tyrant. I support CRPA.
Old 02-01-2013, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetentacle View Post
CRPA is not only involved in lobbying. They are also very active in promoting competitive shooting in California. The California High Power Rifle Team competes in Camp Perry under their banner. Recently, they issued a $14,000 grant to the Los Angeles Rifle & Revolver Club in order to purchase electronic targets for training the next generation of Olympic shooters.

Combined with what I know of their lobbying efforts in Sacramento, I'm sold on CRPA. I'm a member and plan to become a lifer at the first opportunity. Screw the naysayers.

PS I'm also an NRA member and make regular donations to Calguns.
What percentage of the total CRPA budget is spent on competition support? What percentage is spent on administration?
What percentage on lobbying?
Thanks!

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

http://savecrpa.org/files/2012_budget.pdf
Old 02-01-2013, 1:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I donated to this effort. What ever happened to it? Was CRPA saved? Or did some just move on to other avenues?
Old 02-01-2013, 1:51 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Was CRPA saved?
lol, good question...
Old 02-01-2013, 2:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

CRPA choses not to reform without additional pressure placed. Those of us who think that's a shame have better things to do at this exact moment, like stepping into the voids left by an ineffective CRPA.

When things calm back down the SaveCRPA project is likely to get new focus.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 02-01-2013, 3:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
CRPA choses not to reform without additional pressure placed.

Or, Brandon jumped the gun and took peoples money without a well thought out plan of attack.

Those of us who think that's a shame have better things to do at this exact moment,

Or, we really tried but really didn't want to go much further. We had a bad plan.

like stepping into the voids left by an ineffective CRPA.

Or, we found a place that would work with us

When things calm back down the SaveCRPA project is likely to get new focus.

Or, Perhaps this will come back from the dead in our next life?

-Gene
Not that hard to call a spade a spade.
Old 02-01-2013, 5:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

John, you've sunk to a new low - which is really quite impressive given your record.
Closed Thread