Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Nice write-up. Well done sir.

Old 04-14-2012, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Brand spanking new to guns and have been doing a lot of research. (Been looking at a off-roster XD-M possibly at Valkyrie, but have yet to drive there).

EXCELLENT post!

Thank you for putting your time, research and opinions here and in an easy to understand (somewhat) post and breaking things down logically. (Only thing I didn't always comprehend are the acronyms-but getting better).

Helloooo from San Ramon!

XDJYo
Old 05-04-2012, 9:56 PM

Exclamation Springfield Armory 3.8 Compact .45 ACP

OMG, can someone help me out here by post or e-mail is prefered. I live in Va & found a Springfield Armory 3.8 compact .45 ACP listed in Gallery of Guns with 1) 9rd & 1) 10 rd mag. with "sleeve". According to them it's the "California" version. The description says it has ALL the XDm gear, 3 back straps, 3 "mag extensions", holster, clip holster, speed loader. I'd like to know :

Does it come with the 3 "mag extensions" to match the 3 back strap sizes??

What is the "sleeve"??

Are the "mag extensions" shorter than the ones that come with the 13rd mag???
Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 AM

Only thing I saw that I "think" is wrong is what is needed to buy a new handgun. You stated CA driver's license or government issued ID. I was told and from what I read, you need to have a CA issued ID. This only includes CA driver's license or CA issued identification card. I have an out of state drivers license and my passport and they would not accept either of these. I had to go to the DMV to get a CA issued ID card to purchase my handgun. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I am lead to believe that this is correct.
Old 06-09-2012, 8:53 PM

Just registered here, so I'm late to the discussion. My 2ยข is that HK makes the best semiauto for my likings. Sig is a very close #2 and Glock is #3. It is all personal preference.
Old 06-11-2012, 8:30 PM

Thanks for this!
Old 06-20-2012, 9:48 AM

I am a noob and this was very helpful thankx for writing this up and the links also.
Old 01-16-2013, 2:24 AM

Also a noob and a lot of great info on here if you search for it Thank you
Old 01-20-2013, 7:09 PM

Thank you for the advice... long time reader, first time poster. I followed your suggested path to hand gun ownership and ended up with a Sig 1911... I was glad to rent/try a few to know that this one was for me.
Old 01-23-2013, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s500 View Post
Wish I had a 1911 best hand gun in the world! to me.
do have a SCCY 9m love it very small holds 12 shots
and for $240 I have 450 rounds fired no jams and on target out of box

for ccw
Old 01-23-2013, 6:32 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Reads as a very fine primer for those looking to aquire their first weapon. Obviously loads of work and you have my thanks.

Only thing I saw missing was Intrafamily transfer under gettting around the roster.

Great job!

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 01-30-2013, 3:38 AM

Thumbs up Nice post

Nice post for those who are interested to buy Automatic Gun
Old 02-04-2013, 2:59 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Mr. iareConfusE, thanks for an informative post!

If it's not too cheeky, I'll reply to a post I happened to notice unanswered, using a portion of your 2nd post here and add a detail or two.

Quote:
mc21

Only thing I saw that I "think" is wrong is what is needed to buy a new handgun. You stated CA driver's license or government issued ID. I was told and from what I read, you need to have a CA issued ID. This only includes CA driver's license or CA issued identification card.

I have an out of state drivers license and my passport and they would not accept either of these. I had to go to the DMV to get a CA issued ID card to purchase my handgun. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I am lead to believe that this is correct.
Quote:
iareConfusE - from Post #2

Documentation Required to Purchase A Handgun in California
You will need to be at least 21 years old. You will need a valid CA driver’s license or government issued ID. You will need a handgun safety certificate, which requires a very simple test of firearms knowledge and safety practices. If you fail this test, you do not deserve to own a firearm. You will need proof of residence such as your vehicle registration, with your current address listed.

What this means is that in order to pick up your new handgun from an FFL (dealer), you not only need an "official" CA Driver License or CA Identification Card, but you will need another, "proof of residence": Vehicle registration, utility bill, etc... but be aware that for some reason, financial statements do not qualify.

Last edited by 200Apples; 02-04-2013 at 3:01 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 9:30 PM

Great post. thanks for info
Old 02-10-2013, 8:19 PM

Well, I have been shooting .45 ACPs for over 50 years. I now having moved to California 6 months ago find my favorite handguns are not legal in this state what a crock!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:08 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I've been in the market for my first handgun for a little while now and am curious to get feedback from Calgunners about things that changed for you after you selected your first gun and started using it. Did you buy and decide later that you wanted something different? If so, why?

My first instinct is to select the gun that "feels" the best and that I shoot the most accurately with. However, someone recently suggested that I not think too much about feel - because when the SHTF, I need to be able to pickup anything and be able to shoot it. I am not really buying with end-of-the-world scenarios in mind, but it seems like a reasonable thing to consider.

Also, I realize accuracy should improve with any pistol after practice, so should that even matter after going through a few mags at the range? I assume that any handgun I choose within a certain category (CZ P0-1, Sig 229, SA XD, etc.) will have relatively comparable quality.

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by rembonjaski; 04-26-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 12:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did a fair amount of homework (reviews, Youtube vids, general "Googling" and handled (well fondled) a bunch before choosing. They included a Glock 19, Beretta Storm, M&P9, XD9, Sig 2022, and one maybe 2 others I don't recall. I did not shoot any of them.

I wanted a 9mm due to ammo availability and price. I preferred a compact (4in barrel). I focused on models that were relatively cheap back in December (under $500).

Ended up with the Sig 2022. Price was $389 plus back then. 500 rounds later, no regrets, just a big and growing smile every time I shoot it.

Well except the ammo availability and price part.
Old 04-27-2013, 3:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ultimately, it "felt better" in my hands.

The Glock felt like I was holding the wrong end of a baseball bat. I did like the XD. I ended up feeling like the DA/SA on the Sig was a bit more familiar having an old Winchester 94 and having shot a bunch of revolvers. The Sig was actually the cheapest at the time and that did have some influence.

Honestly, they are all fine weapons. The Sig only comes with one mag. Extra 10 round mags are pricey and hard to find.
Old 04-27-2013, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembonjaski View Post
saudadeii-

I'm in the same place you were. I really liked the XD when I tried it at the range. What ultimately made you select the 2022? Even though I haven't been able to try it, I'm leaning toward the Sig because of how much I liked the p229.
Just to throw in my two cents, we looked at the XD9 and the Sp2022 also. The XD hit the bone of my thumb knuckle so it was out if the running. The cost also factored into the decision. But ultimately, it felt good, good sights and had a much better trigger feel comparatively. I've said it before, and I'm not sure if its true or not, but the metal trigger group of the Sig lends to a much more solid feel compared to the XD or many of the other pistols we've tried.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-03-2013, 1:01 PM

I too am in the market to get an SP2022 in 9mm after trying it out but since times are rough on 9mm ammo, I was thinking of getting it in .40 instead as I can still find ammo in stores and the price doesn't seem too far off from 9mm. I've never shot the .40 version, does it feel much different from the 9mm version or can I get used to it?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:05 PM

I never knew it was so complicated. I just bought a bunch of gun magazines and read them and bought my first pistol.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 AM

My first was in 1978, S&W 59. Later stolen recovered and disappeared from the Hayward Police dept. Showed up in an FBI search in 2008. FBI notified me that they had destroyed it.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Great article, wish I had this advise before I bought and sold 5 different ones to finally get my XD9 4" service model which is perfect for me. Thanks for posting this!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 6:46 AM
Veteran Member

Stopping in to check on my thread. Thanks for the feedback guys! I know there might be some changes to some laws coming up soon, so not all of the facts from the original post may apply.
Old 07-04-2013, 5:13 PM

Just saw this post. Comprehensive information!
Old 07-05-2013, 5:45 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Rent what's on your list. Buy what is feeling good in the hand. Forget the haters and gun snobs.

PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

When pimping begins, friendship ends.

Don't let your history be a mystery
Old 07-13-2013, 3:30 PM

Unless the handgun has a threaded barrel, they are all legal. The safe handgun list is a farce, it is really about paying a membership fee to sell in this corrupt state.
Old 07-30-2013, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1NJO View Post
Got a question for the experts here...

Does the address on my CA ID and my car registration have to match? My ID shows the address of my parents house, before I moved. My car registration has the address of my current residence.

If they do have to match, how would I go about doing so since DMV does not send out a new ID just for an address change.
Honestly it depends on the shop you're doing the transfer at. I've been to a couple shops where they want both registration address to match DL address, and I've been to shops that only care about the registration address. The latter is more common I believe - as long as your registration has your current address you should be good to go for most shops.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 PM

Good advice, points, and tips. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 1:10 PM

Default SAFETY FEAUTRES CAN BE REMOVED LEGALLY

Just want to mention one important fact...

The legislature in the state of California, which has little to no knowledge of guns and even less support for their defensive use, had seen it fit to restrict the kind of guns that can get on the "approved roster". Amongst these are:-
  • Magazine Disconnect Safety
  • Loaded Chamber Indicator
are:-

In otherwords, unless the gun has a flag that pops out and says loaded when a round is in the chamber, it cannot get on the list. If it can be fired with the magazine removed it also cannot get on the list.

Not everyone agrees with having such attributes on the gun of course. For one, the pop up flag may snap on clothing or a holster if you are carrying concealed. Or it may be a distracting protrusion when it comes to the sight picture. Personally, I don't want any gun with a loaded chamber indicator.

The Magazine Disconnect is a silly idea in trying to idiot proof a pistol. It prevents the round from being fired if the magazine is removed. Presumably it guards against accidental discharge by idiots who don't have the simplest of understanding that a semi-auto pistol can still have a chambered round even when you remove the magazine. Idiots who don't visually and personally clear their weapons. The problem is that in a tactical scenario you may end up in a situations where you have expended a portion of the ammunition in the magazine (say 5 out of 10 rounds) and wish to reload with a full mag during a pause in the engagement. A magazine disconnect will get you killed by preventing you from discharging the last remaining chambered round if you are surprised by an assailant in the middle of your reload. I do not ever want a gun with a magazine disconnect.

Well, just want everyone to know that it is NOT illegal to own and shoot pistols without these features. It doesn't matter when or how they were acquired. It is only illegal to sell new pistols without these features (unless you do a single shot exemption) because they can never be on the approved roster. So, feel free to remove these features once you have acquired the gun. Most loaded chamber indicators are either a separate tilting piece or an overly tall extractor. Feel free to remove them or replace them with non-CA spec parts. Many pistols are offered with out without the magazine disconnect or have internals that can be pinned in place so they always think there is a magazine in place. Feel free to do that.

Ultimately, your life may depend on your handgun. The idiots in Sacramento's lives won't. Don't left their folly cost you your life.

Last edited by dwightlooi; 08-27-2013 at 1:13 PM..
Old 09-10-2013, 4:24 PM

As somebody looking to buy his first firearm, I just want to say I found this guide extremely helpful. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Does the address on my CA ID and my car registration have to match? My ID shows the address of my parents house, before I moved. My car registration has the address of my current residence.

If they do have to match, how would I go about doing so since DMV does not send out a new ID just for an address change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
Honestly it depends on the shop you're doing the transfer at. I've been to a couple shops where they want both registration address to match DL address, and I've been to shops that only care about the registration address. The latter is more common I believe - as long as your registration has your current address you should be good to go for most shops.
I used my fishing license! Only state issue document with my current addy! CDL has old addy and car reg was in my wifes name. They took my CDL and fishing license as good enough. Hunting license was exp ...

EDIT: Actually not fishing license ... went to claim after 10 days and it was pointed out the document was not issued by the state (issued by Big5 as proxy for the state) so it doesn't count. Good thing I had my wifes car (which is actually registered in my name).

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that โ€œ[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.โ€ United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller

Last edited by Epaphroditus; 10-05-2013 at 7:50 AM..
Old 10-05-2013, 9:26 AM

Good information for new shooter and first time handgun owner. Every thread I read glock always in the conversation.
Old 10-30-2013, 2:03 PM

Thank you. As someone newly in the market, I found this incredibly helpful. I don't mind the length at all.
Old 10-30-2013, 8:04 PM

NICE summary
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2013, 6:34 PM

Exclamation Your Posting is surely valuable...

I have recently (past couple of years) have seriously begun "collecting" handguns. Personally I enjoy the Sig's. They make some fine guns. I have a few & truly enjoy the variety of shooting the 1911's to the 229 to the 226 X-Five. Then the Browning Hi-Power is a sweetie. Colt's 1911 is not quite as comfortable & aesthetically pleasing as the Sigs, but that's my personal opinion. I also find the Sig's better built. Again... Personal opinion.
I'm now looking to buy a Sig 226 X-Six but am yet to find a decent price, or at least what I think to be "decent".
Anyone have suggestions on the 226 X-Six 40mm? Can use all the info you may offer.

Thanx All...

Doc
Old 11-16-2013, 1:58 PM

Smile Learned the hard way while selling to an unprepared buyer. 2.5 Hour DROS :(

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
I used my fishing license! Only state issue document with my current addy! CDL has old addy and car reg was in my wifes name. They took my CDL and fishing license as good enough. Hunting license was exp ...

EDIT: Actually not fishing license ... went to claim after 10 days and it was pointed out the document was not issued by the state (issued by Big5 as proxy for the state) so it doesn't count. Good thing I had my wifes car (which is actually registered in my name).
Hello. The main concern with addresses is that the government (local, state, federal) want to know where the firearm will be physically kept. This information is used in a wide array of databases. One, for example is when the police visits a residential address they are informed ahead of time if there are firearms expected on the premises. Ideally, it is for all of our safety.

The DMV vehicle registration is issued by the state and is needed if your address listed on your driver's license is NOT current (as in it will not be the address where the firearm will be physically kept.)

This is one of the reasons P.O. boxes or office addresses CANNOT be used to DROS a firearm because you will not be physically keeping your firearms there.

Good luck and be safe.

***New CCI Mini-Mag & CCI Stand Velocity .22LR, IE***
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...9#post27819329

***WTB: CZ 457 MTR .22LR & more, IE/OC***
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...3#post27889673
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 PM

Default awesome read...

new member here to the forum and been researching on purchasing my first gun. it was very informative and thank you for that.

i especially like the part where you suggested to post up asking fellow calguners to borrow to shoot the gun at the range. i think that would be most helpful to me, cuz i'm in san jose and i know of target masters and reeds indoor range and also the outdoor range on metcalf (but need to have own gun, i think). where would i post that though? (newbie question)

i've narrow down to 9mm: Glock19 and Sig P229.

i'd love to own a HK P7, but too rich for what i plan to use it for which is home security and at the range.

TIA

rui
Old 01-20-2014, 4:51 PM

Very nice write up---I'm a newbie and just purchased a Marlin 795 over the counter at a Big 5 store---Had to have a background check and wait 10 days---If I wanted to purchase a .22lr pistol for target practice, what would the current procedure be.

Also, is the FFL the same as for concealed carry?---I don't want to carry on my body, just in the car to target practice with.---Thanks

Happy
Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharold4 View Post
Very nice write up---I'm a newbie and just purchased a Marlin 795 over the counter at a Big 5 store---Had to have a background check and wait 10 days---If I wanted to purchase a .22lr pistol for target practice, what would the current procedure be.

Also, is the FFL the same as for concealed carry?---I don't want to carry on my body, just in the car to target practice with.---Thanks

Happy
Harold,

to purchase a handgun you will need a handgun safety certificate which you can get at a gun store or shooting range that offers the test. Then you go through the same DROS procedure and wait the 10 days, etc.

FFL = Federal Firearms License, has nothing to do with CCW (concealed carry). Permits for CCW will depend on your county, and as far as I know it's still not very easy to get one in CA.