Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by One78Shovel View Post
Thanks Ryan.
Should it be expected then, pending a favorable ruling, we will get to see some good cause statements, both approved/denied with redaction?

If so, very good news.

-178S
Unless the Judge decides to redact the good cause statements; then it's off to the court of appeals...
Old 06-10-2011, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have a co-worker who just submitted his renewal as well. He was told it should go failry quick.

I completed my CCW interview in early April. The Deputy was very likeable and professional as I was very impressed with his demeanor and approach. The interview started by him describing the process and why we were meeting. He wanted to make it clear we would go over line by line my application. He did note that due to the size of my file, very thin, that it should be fairly painless interview. He joked that if it was a thick file we would be talking for a while.

He explained a little about the liability associated with having a CCW if one needed to use it. We went over that brandish of a weapon, even with a CCW, is a crime. However, mitigating circumstances often clear the CCW holder once the details are explained to LE.

I was very open on my application and did not try to cover up anything. Funny enough, he still had some info for which I had completely forgotten about that happened over 17 years ago. I was not cited, however, it was ‘in the system.’

At the end of the interview he told me that he felt I was a citizen of good moral character and should be allowed to CCW and that my application would go forward as such. Apparently, packages go forward in groups so you really don’t know how long it may ‘sit’ before moving forward.

The deputy said I should hear something in 6-8 weeks.

-178S
Still standing by.

-178S
Old 06-14-2011, 7:16 PM

anyone have a good feeling yet?
Old 06-21-2011, 5:33 PM

I work at a 07 FFL and received a CCW under the old sheriff. My boss applied for his CCW but missed the cut off and was denied by the new sherriff. It did not make sense how my just cause was sufficient and his as the bussiness owner was not. Anyway he was successfuly in having his application reviewed and now has his CCW.
Old 06-21-2011, 8:33 PM

Ive been checking the VC website, no updates. Guess he meant "two weeks"
Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 AM

3 weeks and no news?
Old 06-28-2011, 2:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie8264 View Post
3 weeks and no news?
Next news update is when the judge decides.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-01-2011, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Next news update is when the judge decides.
http://www.ventura.courts.ca.gov/via/myDoc.aspx?id={E1E6C062-C230-4046-B7EF-0094FEE5B374}

They posted a minute order referring to a ruling... but don't seem to have the ruling anywhere I can find.
Old 07-07-2011, 9:17 AM

Default WIN!!!!

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/jul/...-on-concealed/

In response to a lawsuit filed by a gun rights organization, a Ventura County Superior Court judge has issued a preliminary ruling ordering the county to release information about concealed-weapon permits and licenses.

The Calguns Foundation Inc. filed a lawsuit in October after the Ventura County Sheriff's Department refused to release all the records the group requested under the California Public Records Act.

The department provided much of the data but did not release documents on why concealed-weapon permits were approved or denied.

California sheriffs have discretion in deciding legitimate reasons for carrying a concealed weapon and granting permits, and the foundation wanted documents to evaluate the standards that were applied, said Gene Hoffman, chairman of the San Carlos-based nonprofit group.

The foundation, which requested the information as part of a project to help people with the permit process, also wanted to ensure the sheriff's decisions were consistent, Hoffman said.

County officials argued the withheld documents included personal information and details about applicants' vulnerabilities that could compromise their safety, and that redacting the private information as Calguns suggested would cost more than $14,600.

In a "statement of intended decision" dated Friday, Superior Court Judge Henry Walsh sided with Calguns.

Concealed-weapon permit applications contain a warning that all of the information may be subject to public disclosure, and privacy interests can be protected by redacting some information, Walsh wrote. The foundation agreed some personal details, such as Social Security numbers, could be withheld.

Citing a similar case involving CBS and Los Angeles County, the judge wrote that while releasing the information possibly could pose risks for permit holders, that danger was conjecture and not a valid reason to withhold it. Responding to the county's argument that redacting the documents would be "financially oppressive," the judge called the county's estimate that the task would take nearly 30 work days "seemingly generous." He suggested using a lower-paid administrative person to do the work rather than a sworn deputy costing the overtime rate of $68 an hour — a suggestion "not favorably received by counsel for the county," he said.

The judge ruled the county should produce the requested documents within 45 days and redact details such as when the applicant is potentially vulnerable to attack, home and business addresses, and the specific weapon authorized.

As the prevailing party, Calguns also is entitled to have its legal costs reimbursed by the county, the judge wrote.

The decision will become final unless the county files an appeal within 15 days.

Assistant County Counsel Marina Porche said Wednesday the county was analyzing the decision and had not decided whether to appeal. She would not elaborate.

"At this point, we have won the lawsuit," Hoffman said, adding he expects to receive the permit information within two months. "We're very pleased."

Calguns plans to redact applicants' names and other personal information, then post on its website portions of successful applications, he said. He said the foundation can redact more information if applicants are uncomfortable.

Calguns requested information from all 58 counties in California, and Ventura was the only one to be sued under the Public Records Act, Hoffman said.

He said about 60 percent of counties complied, 20 percent asked for administrative fees his organization considered illegal, and 20 percent refused to release information.

"I expect it's going to bring everyone else into compliance pretty quickly," he said of the judge's decision.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/jul/...#ixzz1RROfxcnV
- vcstar.com
Old 07-07-2011, 9:30 PM

Sweet
Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 PM

This only forces them to release how they judge our good causes and stuff though right? We still can't use self defense as a good cause?
Old 07-11-2011, 6:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squee116 View Post
This only forces them to release how they judge our good causes and stuff though right? We still can't use self defense as a good cause?
It depends on the good cause statements that have been approved in the past.

If they have approved permits where Self Defense has been used as good cause... It should be acceptible for others too...
Old 07-15-2011, 5:39 AM

I received my Ventura CCW packet this week. Is it advised to wait until these GCs are released or just get on with it?

I sent my GC to two advertised forum advisers and both came back negative. I had already requested the packet before seeking advice, so I'm thinking just get on with it and see what happens?

Also, does anyone know of any successful appeals to CCW denial in Ventura County?
Old 07-15-2011, 9:03 AM

Talking

Personally, I'm waiting until the brains of this (Calguns) outfit receive the GC info, sort through it and come up with helpfull advice. I just made another donation to help things along.
Old 07-15-2011, 9:51 AM
Banned

If you're willing to wait a bit (maybe a few weeks to a few months) to apply, CGF will need all the applicants they can get to test Ventura, your participation in the drill would be very helpful not only to other Ventura Co. residents but potentially to future CCW-related cases all over the State. Waiting on Public Records Request/lawsuit to finalize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1974 View Post
I received my Ventura CCW packet this week. Is it advised to wait until these GCs are released or just get on with it?

I sent my GC to two advertised forum advisers and both came back negative. I had already requested the packet before seeking advice, so I'm thinking just get on with it and see what happens?

Also, does anyone know of any successful appeals to CCW denial in Ventura County?

Last edited by greasemonkey; 07-15-2011 at 9:53 AM..
Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 AM

This is great news. Well done guys!
a global banking oligarchy determined to shipwreck the economies of the world
and feast on its corpse.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1974 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
If you're willing to wait a bit (maybe a few weeks to a few months) to apply, CGF will need all the applicants they can get to test Ventura, your participation in the drill would be very helpful not only to other Ventura Co. residents but potentially to future CCW-related cases all over the State. Waiting on Public Records Request/lawsuit to finalize.
+1

The county has 30 days left to comply with the courts order to release the information that CGF has requested. It's tough to wait to exercise a right that you shouldn't need permission to exercise in the first place, but in this case its the most prudent course of action. Hang tight, it wont be much longer.

-Brandon
Old 07-28-2011, 9:12 AM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor P Price View Post
+1

The county has 30 days left to comply with the courts order to release the information that CGF has requested. It's tough to wait to exercise a right that you shouldn't need permission to exercise in the first place, but in this case its the most prudent course of action. Hang tight, it wont be much longer.
I have a few friends in a holding pattern at the moment. Apps in hand waiting for the release of the VC GC statements and CGN advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
"A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
Ron Paul
Old 07-28-2011, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefreas View Post
I have a few friends in a holding pattern at the moment. Apps in hand waiting for the release of the VC GC statements and CGN advice.
The timeframe has changed a bit to, rather than 30 days from my previous post the county has an additional 15 days or so. We're getting close though, can't wait to see what we get.

-Brandon
Old 07-31-2011, 5:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I spoke with my CCW instructor today. He stated that the Sheriff Dean was rejecting a much greater percentage of applications than in the past. He also stated that many renewals were being denied as well. He told me that the Chief of Police of Port Hueneme had asked the Sheriff for CCWs for his reserve officers and was denied. So much for the new Sheriff continuing Brook's policies. I'm up for my first renewal in October and I am more than a bit concerned.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 07-31-2011, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBR Works View Post
I spoke with my CCW instructor today. He stated that the Sheriff Dean was rejecting a much greater percentage of applications than in the past. He also stated that many renewals were being denied as well. He told me that the Chief of Police of Port Hueneme had asked the Sheriff for CCWs for his reserve officers and was denied. So much for the new Sheriff continuing Brook's policies. I'm up for my first renewal in October and I am more than a bit concerned.
That doesn't add up....

The sheriff may be rejecting a greater percentage of the applications, and he may be denying renewals. But a Chief of Police does not need to look to the Sheriff for CCW's for reserves, the Chief of Police could issue them him or herself...
Old 07-31-2011, 6:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer

From what I was told, the Hueneme Chief implemented his own CCW program after the denials.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 07-31-2011, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBR Works View Post
From what I was told, the Hueneme Chief implemented his own CCW program after the denials.
I guess we will know when CGF gets all of the apps....
Old 07-31-2011, 7:07 PM

The Port Hueneme chief is a she.
Old 07-31-2011, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

Talking

Pretty sad when I am just happy to not have received a rejection letter yet.

Like I mentioned before, very positive interview, was told I would hear yay or nay in 6-8 weeks. It's been 13 weeks. The kind lady said it went to the Sheriff over a month ago.

I can wait it out.

-178S
Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Pretty sad when I am just happy to not have received a rejection letter yet.

Like I mentioned before, very positive interview, was told I would hear yay or nay in 6-8 weeks. It's been 13 weeks. The kind lady said it went to the Sheriff over a month ago.

I can wait it out.

-178S
13 Weeks huh? As in 91 days? Sounds like the Sheriff needs a reminder that dragging that out more than 90 days is a violation of the law.

-Brandon
Old 08-16-2011, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
13 Weeks huh? As in 91 days? Sounds like the Sheriff needs a reminder that dragging that out more than 90 days is a violation of the law.
Today is 114 days and no news.

Standing by

-178S
Old 08-16-2011, 7:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Today is 114 days and no news.

Standing by

-178S
Send me your contact info to bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org. Need name, phone, email and a copy of the application; if you have anything that proves the date you submitted it, please send that also.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-16-2011, 8:38 PM

I like the way that sounds. Sheriff Dean told me during his campaign that he planned to stream line the process because he felt like it took to long. Apparently he didn't feel it necessary to streamline it to within the statutory time frame spelled out for him.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

-Brandon
Old 08-17-2011, 3:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Send me your contact info to bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org. Need name, phone, email and a copy of the application; if you have anything that proves the date you submitted it, please send that also.

-Brandon
Thanks Brandon- Email sent

-178S

Last edited by One78Shovel; 08-17-2011 at 6:55 AM..
Old 08-17-2011, 8:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks Brandon- Email sent

-178S
Received and replied - thanks!

-Brandon

Old 08-19-2011, 1:20 PM

Mine took about 9 months for the interview.... I was later denied the letter said, and I quote, "pepper spray is a non-lethal alternative..."
Old 08-19-2011, 1:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_X_123 View Post
Mine took about 9 months for the interview.... I was later denied the letter said, and I quote, "pepper spray is a non-lethal alternative..."

What a response. Of all people, Law Enforcement should know that the people on which pepper spray has no effect are typically the ones that HAVE to be stopped with lethal force.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

Any word on the VC GCs?

Quote:
Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
Ron Paul
Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefreas View Post
Any word on the VC GCs?
The foundation allowed them a 15 day extension IIRC. Which would mean they should be in CGF's hands in about a week. I'd guess they'll be up on the sunshine initiative site fairly shortly after that.

-Brandon
Old 08-24-2011, 7:32 AM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The foundation allowed them a 15 day extension IIRC. Which would mean they should be in CGF's hands in about a week. I'd guess they'll be up on the sunshine initiative site fairly shortly after that.
Thanks Connor. I have been dying to see them and I have some buddies that are holding off applying also.

Quote:
Ron Paul
Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Posted 08-31-2011, 1:23 PM

As soon as the team's finished redacting we'll post at CGF and announce here.

Expect 2 different files: 1) approved GC's under current Sheriff Dean, and 2) approved GC's under former Sheriff Bob Brooks.

-Brandon

here is the latest update for Ventura.

Last edited by Rock6.3; 08-31-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Old 09-01-2011, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Received my denial letter today as I did not "meet the criteria for issuance of a concealed weapons premit". Go fugure......

Will consider an appeal at a time TBD.

-178S
Old 09-01-2011, 3:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Received my denial letter today as I did not "meet the criteria for issuance of a concealed weapons premit". Go fugure......

Will consider an appeal at a time TBD.

-178S
Hang tight, we'll have good cause statements up very soon. They should prove interesting.

Old 09-01-2011, 8:24 PM

Word on the street is that Dean went from approving 90%, to denying 90%. Even renewals.

Is this preemptive tactic in anticipation of the release of the good cause statements?
Closed Thread