Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-07-2020, 11:31 PM

Default Opportunity for off-roster pistols.

I have the opportunity to get an off-roster carry gun and .22lr pistol. Iím thinking of getting the Sig P365 as it has a 10 round mag and the Hellcat is out, due to it having a 11/13 round mag. (Unless somehow I can buy one with 10roundmag.

However, I donít know what .22 pistol to get. I want it mainly for target shooting, hunting, defense. Iím thinking either Ruger Mark iv, Glock 44, or a 1911 22.

Thoughts on accuracy? Reliability? Ease of taking down for cleaning?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Target shooting and hunting rule out the Glock 44 and the 1911-22, IMO. The Ruger MkIV is the way to go.

And you can have Hellcat mags blocked to 10rds. They will probably come out with 10rd mags eventually.

Old 01-08-2020, 1:18 AM

Another vote for the Ruger here.
Old 01-08-2020, 4:39 AM

The MKIV is a sweet shooter. If you get one invest in a Volquartsen trigger and some blue thread locker.
Old 01-08-2020, 6:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Since the GSG and Browning 1911-22 are on roster and so is the Buckmark, and you want one off, the Mark IV is a better pick for a 22.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 01-08-2020, 9:37 AM

Nice, I recently joined Calguns for this very purpose. I really appreciate your feedback and knowledge.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd probably opt for the P365 and the Glock 44. Then I'd buy a on-roster Buckmark 5.5" for a target .22. Buckmarks are close enough, and the Glock is a nice trainer. I own a Ruger MKII Target.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Since the GSG and Browning 1911-22 are on roster and so is the Buckmark, and you want one off, the Mark IV is a better pick for a 22.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

I certainly donít want to go through the time and money for an off roster .22 if I donít have to. The reason I am leaning towards the Ruger Mark IV is that I can get it almost as easy as getting a browning. However, if the browning is a better gun...Iíll buy that.
Old 01-09-2020, 6:42 AM

I would really like to try the G44, so my vote is that you get it and share with the rest of us.....although it will probably be a while before they are easy to come by in most states, let alone CA
Old 01-09-2020, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flentye View Post
I certainly don’t want to go through the time and money for an off roster .22 if I don’t have to. The reason I am leaning towards the Ruger Mark IV is that I can get it almost as easy as getting a browning. However, if the browning is a better gun...I’ll buy that.
I answered P365 and G44 because I assumed you can only buy limit TWO off-roster... if that is not the case, buy the G44, MKIV, P365, P210C OR, G40 MOS, G45, PPQ Q5, CZ TSO, Canik TP9 SFX, etc...

I honestly like my old MKII a lot better than a new Buckmark, but my trigger is a lot better and I am used to the MKII. I haven't shot any new Ruger MARKS.
Old 01-09-2020, 3:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flentye View Post
I certainly donít want to go through the time and money for an off roster .22 if I donít have to. The reason I am leaning towards the Ruger Mark IV is that I can get it almost as easy as getting a browning. However, if the browning is a better gun...Iíll buy that.

Ah, well your OP was a little unclear then, indicating you actually desired to select something off roster.

The buckmark is good, easier to disassemble.

The GSG 1911-22 is what I bought and enjoy it, specifically selected that because it is nearly identical feel to full size 1911s. But to get it shooting really wel you need a few aftermarket parts.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 01-09-2020, 9:28 PM

Every response was in direct correlation to my original question. I have the opportunity for two pistols. I am going to choose the Sig365 and Ruger Mark IV. If the browning buck mark was as easy to disassemble and clean as the Mark IV, I’d just as easy buy the Browning. However, I think its going to be somewhat cool to own a gun in glorious California that is rare.

Thanks again to everyone who shared. I really appreciate your knowledge. The common theme of helping at cal guns.net is very refreshing. I stopped using social media a few years back because the banter didn’t intrigue me.
Old 01-09-2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I answered P365 and G44 because I assumed you can only buy limit TWO off-roster... if that is not the case, buy the G44, MKIV, P365, P210C OR, G40 MOS, G45, PPQ Q5, CZ TSO, Canik TP9 SFX, etc...

I honestly like my old MKII a lot better than a new Buckmark, but my trigger is a lot better and I am used to the MKII. I haven't shot any new Ruger MARKS.
The opportunity is there, however any opportunity is met with some amount of work. Isnít it ironic that gun ownership pushes people towards learning of the law and abiding in it further. Itís as if the safest and best read civilians are gun owners.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post

The GSG 1911-22 is what I bought and enjoy it, specifically selected that because it is nearly identical feel to full size 1911s. But to get it shooting really wel you need a few aftermarket parts.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
What parts do you recommend?
Old 01-10-2020, 12:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvberinger View Post
What parts do you recommend?

Metal guide rod to replace plastic, tighter barrel bushing, remove screw in barrel lug (keep pin only). Those seem to be the main performance parts, but various kits replace springs, firing pin, main spring cap and others. CW ACCESSORIES kits

https://www.cwaccessories.com/produc...rmance-package

I added a fiber optic front sight (Dawson Precision) and blacked out target rear (also Dawson).

https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.c...sg-310-106.htm

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 01-14-2020, 11:41 PM

P365 best bang for your buck if you can get it retail IMHO. For the 22lr, I second the GSG 1911 22lr recommendation. Cheap, very easy to shoot, and eats any ammo. Also, the GSG 922, which is a shorter version of the 1911 has an interchangeable slide/barrel/upper if you want to have a more compact gun (I've had both. The lowers are the same, so you can use the same mags).
Old 01-15-2020, 5:44 PM

I just checked gallery of guns and ca safe handgun roster, Buckmark not on roster anymore.
Old 01-15-2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy1966 View Post
I just checked gallery of guns and ca safe handgun roster, Buckmark not on roster anymore.
???? Buck Marks went back on roster a week ago or so. Check the DOJ site direct for Browning handguns. Looks like most now expire 01/01/2021:

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert...ch?make=150988

ARFrog
Old 01-15-2020, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Taurus TX-22, Volquartsen Scorpion, or the Kel-Tec CP33.

ďI would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!Ē - Senator Barry Goldwater