Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 01-19-2011, 8:39 PM

Red face Project Appleseed and Calguns United at last!

It's really wonderful to see 2 great organizations connecting at last. I hope to get to know more people on Calguns, and if I can help anyone learn about Appleseed, let me know.
Old 01-19-2011, 8:45 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Perhaps you can expand on that?
Old 01-20-2011, 1:00 AM

Interested here.
Old 01-20-2011, 1:53 AM

I am interested
Old 01-20-2011, 3:28 AM

I signed up for an Appleseed on the 29th/30th of this month in Dulzura, CA. I'm going to be using my AR with iron sights. Anything special I should know? Anything specific I should practice? Any gear I absolutely need (already have a GI nylon sling from the RWVA website)? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 8:00 AM
CGN Contributor

Default How to Appleseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoebot View Post
I signed up for an Appleseed on the 29th/30th of this month in Dulzura, CA. I'm going to be using my AR with iron sights. Anything special I should know? Anything specific I should practice? Any gear I absolutely need (already have a GI nylon sling from the RWVA website)? Thanks!
You are going to need some kind of mat. An old sleeping bag will work. I used a moving blanket folded in half. I now have a regular shooting mat. Midway has a good deal on those. Don't forget the usual stuff you need for a full day at the range, you know, hat, sunscreen, etc.

Now as far as getting ready. Appleseed is day of exercise. You will be getting up and down over and over. Take a look at this link.. Practice being in those positions. Get in the sitting and prone positions for 10 min. each every night before you go. When you practice prone make sure that your elbow is directly under your rifle. If you aren't used to doing this you will get sore after the first day.

Your AR is a fine rifle for an Appleseed. But it will be expensive to shoot. You will find most folks are using a .22 rimfire. A brick of ammo is $20. What I did was use my Ruger 10-22 for the first Appleseed and after I had shot the "Rifleman" score then shot the course of fire with my M1, Enfield, and a 1903. I'm working on shooting it with a Nagant, SKS, and AK.

If you do decide to go with a .22 take a look at this link. This is how to convert a .22 into an Appleseed training rifle. The main change besides adding a sling is putting military style sights on the rifle. I have shot the course of fire with my Mossberg M44 from CMP. Bolt guns work but add an extra layer of difficulty to the shooting.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I could ramble on for much more than you want to read. Give us a report after your Appleseed.
Old 01-20-2011, 8:05 AM
Calguns Addict

would be nice to hear a bit more about the union...

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-20-2011, 8:30 AM
CGN Contributor

Default A more perfect union

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
would be nice to hear a bit more about the union...
Well I guess I will just jump in an give you my $.02 on the union. First a disclaimer I am one of the guys in the funny RWVA hats who reminds you to keep your elbow under the rifle at an Appleseed.

Appleseed does have it's own forum. But it is a national forum. California is the most active state for Appleseed. More and more CalGun folks are attending the shoots. They are one of the few places where you can show up with you wife and kids and have a great day of training for the whole family. Bring your girlfriend and let us train her to shoot. And we promise not to tell your wife.

So CalGuns has been kind enough to let us have a spot to discuss things Appleseed. I am currently letting other instructors know we need to watch this forum to answer your questions. We also appreciate your feedback on your Appleseed experience.

Here is a fun test for you to do next time you go to the range. Take a few sheets of paper from your printer. Place a quarter on the sheet. Draw a circle around it and color it with your favorite color from your crayon collection. No crayons use a sharpie. Place this at 25 yards. Using your favorite position shoot 5 rounds in the quarter. No sand bags, no bench, no bipod. No problem for you. Come on down and shoot our rifleman score and join us as instructors. Not all shots in the circle? That is a 4 MOA target. And you are worried about buying sub MOA rifles? See you at the next Appleseed.
Old 01-20-2011, 9:25 AM

Thanks for the tips! And if you have more you want to tell all of us, I can read more than you can type

Haha once again thanks for the tips! I'll give a report once I finish my Appleseed. I'm really looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
Let me know if you have any other questions. I could ramble on for much more than you want to read. Give us a report after your Appleseed.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 AM

see you in Sacramento! Glad you are here.
Old 01-20-2011, 6:57 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Wow! Nice new Forum

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 01-20-2011, 7:23 PM

I'm looking forward to some great discussions here.
Old 01-20-2011, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Joe:
Pre-Appleseed homework-

* Research the GI loop sling, and how it is applied to the bicep. Practice applying it and removing it fast. It should take just several seconds to apply the loop sling to the bicep, with practice.

* Learn the concept of trigger reset- You fire a shot. The trigger finger holds the trigger back. To take your next shot, slowly advance the trigger finger forward until you hear/feel a 'click'- and STOP moving the trigger finger. You're reset, and ready for the next shot.

* Prone position drill- Sling up and Dry fire, using the attached target. Elbow under the rifle. Sling snug. Focus your eye on the front sight- not on the aperture, and not on the target. Note how the rifle front sight moves as you breathe. With your elbow under the rifle and a loop sling on, the front sight moves straight up and straight down as you breathe (i.e., NOT on a slant)- this is what you want, straight up & down. When the front sight is where you want it on the target, stop breathing, and squeeze the trigger.
Do not muscle the rifle onto the target: Relax into the sling, relax your body, and allow the rifle to point where it naturally 'wants' to go under gravity. Likely, that's NOT on your intended target. To put the rifle on target, shift your hips left or right, forward or back, pivoting on your support elbow until your sights are lined up on the target. Think you have it right? Test it: Shut your eyes, inhale and exhale, then open your eyes. Still lined up on target? good; take the shot. Not on target? Shift your hips again, if needed, to line up on the target; always pivot on the support elbow. (the support arm is the one that holds the fore stock, i.e., not the trigger arm) What you are doing in this exercise is learning how to build Natural Point of Aim onto your target. Muscles are relaxed, not taut. When you relax into that loop sling, close your eyes, inhale, exhale, open them- you're learning to exploit NPOA. What you see as those eyes open is likely to be your NPOA.
Once you've built NPOA on your intended target, dry fire- pull the trigger straight back, and hold it.
During semiautomatic fire, after taking a shot, you would slowly advance the trigger finger forward until you hear and feel the mechanism reset- STOP advancing the trigger finger at that point. The trigger finger should never leave the trigger during a shot string, and should deliberately hold back- and reset- the trigger.
Once you can build NPOA on a target, practice shifting NPOA onto an adjacent target. This should require hip shifting. Do not muscle onto an adjacent target: shift your hips and therefore your NPOA onto the adjacent target instead.

* Wear a long sleeve, cotton canvas or heavy denim shirt- not a stretchy cotton shirt (like a tshirt). The heavy shirt won't stretch as you use the loop sling.

* Bring tools to adjust your front sight.

* Memorize this rule of thumb: One minute of angle (MOA) spans one inch per 100 yards.
(It's likely that your AR rear sight changes the bullet strike by one MOA for each click of the elevation drum, and 1/2 MOA for each click of the windage. A Rifleman knows how many MOA each sight adjustment click gives.)

Finally, ten gold stars to you for going out of your way to learn how to shoot your rifle with proficiency. It is in fact a life long pursuit, and a worthy goal for a free person. We'll see you on the Appleseed trail.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AQT_SQ_DF_10FT.pdf (88.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Make sure you have a front site adjustment tool. For AR's note that A1 and A2 take different tools, one has 4 prongs, the other 5. Bring the correct one! Also, bring short mags, the 30's (if you have them or are 30/10 blocked mags) are too long to shoot prone comfortably.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2011, 2:28 AM

Thanks for the help guys! I just picked up an AR front sight adjustment tool yesterday. My rear sight doesn't have an elevation adjustment, only windage. Do you think I should pick up an elevation-adjustable rear sight before my Appleseed? Also, will I be able to zero my rifle at the Appleseed? I haven't shot it for a while, so the zero may be off; also if I get a new rear sight I'd need to re-zero. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

You should be good to go with what you have.
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys! I just picked up an AR front sight adjustment tool yesterday. My rear sight doesn't have an elevation adjustment, only windage. Do you think I should pick up an elevation-adjustable rear sight before my Appleseed? Also, will I be able to zero my rifle at the Appleseed? I haven't shot it for a while, so the zero may be off; also if I get a new rear sight I'd need to re-zero. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:58 PM

jshoebot,

Depends on your $$$. Front sight adjustment is easily done. Rear is more often easier as it has less of a tendency to move slightly.
You will be given a lecture on IMC and then adjust your accuracy to precision.
I'd suggest you look at: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ go to RWVA links, select 'forum' and then look through all the possibilities, they'll make suggestions on what to bring and much more.
Welcome to the shoot and thanks for taking the time to vote with your actions.

CSHR
Old 01-21-2011, 1:06 PM

CalGuns, et al

Thank you for all your work with the NRA on the recently stopped 'ammo' bill.

CSHR
Old 01-21-2011, 2:38 PM

Woohoo Appleseed on CALGUNS finally! I have been pestering everyone I know to go to one. I know tons of people that are making tons of preparation for "the times to come" but they all say "I know how to shoot well enough" oh yeah? what about your son? Your wife? Your daughter? It will be fun and you will most likely find your not as good a shot as you think. My hood is full of what Fred calls "hiders". BTW I have not made it to my first shoot yet (going Feb in Sac) and I have no illusions about my ability to hit a mansized target at 500 yards with M14 irons. I look forward to being schooled by the best.

The message of Appleseed is clear, direct, timely and gathering steam rapidly. Get on board!
“A warrior putting on his sword for battle should not boast like a warrior who has already won" 1 Kings 20:11