Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 09-01-2012, 1:22 PM

Default 308 Winchester at 2750 FPS, is it safe?

I'm loading 168 grain 308 Winchester with 44 grain of Varget and the bullet is traveling more than the max 2700FPS in the data book. The load is no were max. Is this safe?
Old 09-01-2012, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Muzzle velocity isn't set in stone. Barrel length, the type of barrel, environmental conditions, etc, will have an effect on the muzzle velocity. It's possible to exceed the data book specifications and still be pressure safe. Just keep an eye on your brass to see for any overpressure signs.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 09-01-2012, 1:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It looks like you have a fast barrel, lucky you. As long as your brass is extracting easily and not showing pressure signs like ocajb says, shoot it and have fun.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 09-01-2012, 6:28 PM

Well, my chrono says I was shooting 175 matchkings at 2800 FPS today... Out of a 20" barreled SPS-Tactical. The primers were quite flat, but it's hard to tell with 2000MR since they all look that way. The bolt didn't seem any more difficult to open or otherwise behave different from factory ammo, and I was at book maximum... Other loads of various calibers produced velocity just as they should so I'm not sure it's the chrono.

You should be fine, I imagine.
Old 09-01-2012, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncmng View Post
I'm loading 168 grain 308 Winchester with 44 grain of Varget and the bullet is traveling more than the max 2700FPS in the data book. The load is no were max. Is this safe?
I have not loaded Varget for a while so the numbers are not at my finger tips, but I was shooting 44.5gr of IMR 4064 with 168gr AMAX's out my 26" .308 Win the other day and was clocking in at 2776-2793 fps, so your results don't seem odd at all.