Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-19-2018, 8:56 PM

Default Range bag and glove suggestions?

Any suggestions on a range bag off amazon other than going off reviews. I generally like backpacks over hand held bags for stuff and there are some ďtacticalĒ backpacks.

Secondarily how about gloves or are they for sissies or tacticool. Again I generally like wearing gloves while working cause I hate cutting my hands.
Old 06-19-2018, 9:51 PM

I have been using the GPS tactical range backpack for over a year and it’s been awesome. Prior to buying this, I had gone thru countless different hard cases, soft cases, etc. fumbling to the range carrying targets under my arm, ammo can in one hand, gun case in the other, ear protection around my bicep, etc. it sucked.

this one is a keeper. I can carry 6 handguns, mags, ammo, eye and ear protection, targets and tools all on my back so both my hands are free.

http://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/pro...ange-backpack/

I usually only wear gloves if it’s really cold, or so hot that my hands are sweaty.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bought some mechanix gloves for a class I took recently. They were all about $20 and they work well.

My range bag is midways brand, well thought out, but itís a regular bag. If they make a backpack type, check the reviews. I love my regular bag and they are on sale about every two months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Explorer makes some really nice ones.

http://www.explorerbag.com/category/range-bags/

I bought from Amazon and almost every zippered compartment is lockable. Most other range bags I've seen don't have ven gave one lockable compartment.

This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

It only has one label sewn on it which is easily removed. Many other bags shout "I'm a range bag!".

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Last edited by sonofeugene; 06-19-2018 at 10:36 PM..
Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 PM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

I don't have Range bag so no comments. I have tool box instead.

As for gloves, I use batting gloves because it fits me better, comfortable and light.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******
Old 06-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

You probably don't need gloves
Old 06-20-2018, 7:18 AM

I use a weight training glove on my main hand for the cool Michael Jackson one-handed-glove look when shooting my .500 , other than that, no gloves for me

As for bags I'm actually quite partial to the glock bag. Big heavy duty zippers and space, CA friendly with the lock loops. I took a black marker to the giant embroidered glock emblem on the side, 'cause I don't like advertising
Old 06-20-2018, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
I have been using the GPS tactical range backpack for over a year and itís been awesome. Prior to buying this, I had gone thru countless different hard cases, soft cases, etc. fumbling to the range carrying targets under my arm, ammo can in one hand, gun case in the other, ear protection around my bicep, etc. it sucked.

this one is a keeper. I can carry 6 handguns, mags, ammo, eye and ear protection, targets and tools all on my back so both my hands are free.

I usually only wear gloves if itís really cold, or so hot that my hands are sweaty.

Hmm. I can't order tis online from them eh? I guess I will have to take a drive to Oakdale next time I am close.
Old 06-20-2018, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
about gloves...they for sissies or tacticool.
You nailed it!
Old 06-20-2018, 8:11 AM

I like Mechanix gloves, they fit my small but thick hands better than the PIG gloves I have. YMMV

I wear them during training classes because I have nerve damage on my trigger finger from an unfortunate kitchen knife incident. After a lot of trigger pulls, the pad of my trigger finger basically feels like when your leg falls asleep. So I wear gloves to extend the time before that weird feeling appears that becomes annoyingly obvious.
Old 06-20-2018, 8:19 AM

Don't use a bag. Can't help much there. Gloves are great to stop minor hand injuries and keeping your skin healthier. PIGs are the best for me on dexterity but are very expensive. Mechanixwear fastfit or original are good. If you want hardshell knuckle busters, I've had good luck with voodoo tactical. If you can find 'em.
Old 06-20-2018, 8:20 AM

For construction, mechanic work, blade work (machete/hatchet), grinding, and shooting, these have been my go-to glove for about 5-7 years.

I buy them at Dixieline Lumber locally - about $10. Look to be cheaper on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathe...c+gloves&psc=1
Old 06-20-2018, 8:47 AM

i like pig gloves

imo, you should practice occasionally with gloves, even if the weather does not require it.

why? what happens when the SHTF, or some other emergency arises?
a cut on your hands can be a real problem in a survival situation, you need to protect them.
Old 06-20-2018, 8:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
i like pig gloves

imo, you should practice occasionally with gloves, even if the weather does not require it.

why? what happens when the SHTF, or some other emergency arises?
a cut on your hands can be a real problem in a survival situation, you need to protect them
^this^

Harbor Freight has a good selection of gloves, probably find a tool bag or something that would work good for a range bag there too.
Old 06-20-2018, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

On Amazon, enter "Explorer range bag" in the search bar.

Skip the gloves. Seriously.

Old 06-20-2018, 9:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Range bag choice will primarily depend on your personal setup. What works for one person won't work for another. You should work backwards - collect all the range items that you normally carry, then figure out what kind of bag is required.

For me, the Midway large range bag is a perfect match. Each pocket contains very specific items and I always know precisely what I do and don't have with me. If I were to move to a backpack, I'd go with Double Alpha. Expensive, but designed for heavy duty lugging at competition.

Gloves, on the other hand, are great. For Commander Zero.

Seriously, if you are practicing for something very specific where you need gloves, either because it's cold or because it's tactical, gloves are required. Otherwise, it's like using driving gloves in a rice burner - nothing really wrong, just no particular purpose.
Old 06-20-2018, 9:26 AM

Check out bags on MidwayUSA. Inexpensive yet highly durable. I bought two assuming one would wear out. It's been years and I abuse it, zero issues. They aren't necessarily the best bags out there so I won't get into a contest about that, but they are exactly what I need.

For gloves, I bought one and have used it once (Uncle Mike's). I later figured it would be a strange situation to hear a bump in the night and find/grab my glove before grabbing the gun. For competition, maybe, but for target practice I'm fine without one.

Last edited by billped; 06-20-2018 at 9:29 AM..
Old 06-20-2018, 9:37 AM
G u n t h u s i a s t
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have been using the GPS tactical range backpack for over a year and itís been awesome. Prior to buying this, I had gone thru countless different hard cases, soft cases, etc. fumbling to the range carrying targets under my arm, ammo can in one hand, gun case in the other, ear protection around my bicep, etc. it sucked.

I'm using the same (or something similar)--great bag. No gloves because I'm a man.

gps.jpg

Old 06-20-2018, 9:45 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

This is the bag I have been using for the last 3 years. I only take 1 or 2 handguns with me at a time.

This is my typical loadout

top section has 3 electronic ear muffs, 3 sets of eye wear, and a small bag of ear plugs plus batteries.
bottom section holds 1-2 handguns, 1-3 suppressors, small shootnc targets, 2-6 boxes of ammo.
side pockets hold 5-6 mag loaders for AK, AR, pistol, STEN, UZI, AR9mm plus 10 or so pistol mags. Long side pocket holds around 8 stick mags for Glock, AR9, STEN, UZI.

It is so convenient for my needs. If i need to go to a public range to zero a rifle I just toss in a few boxes of ammo for it and all the other stuff I need is already in it. I mainly use this for my personal range and my vehicle always has about 100 lbs of ammo in it plus plates, tools, etc. If I'm not using my dedicated gun car I this bag has enough room to fit plenty of ammo.

https://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Tact...range+backpack

For gloves I run mechanix fastfit.
http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/fas...actical-gloves

I usually do not wear gloves unless I am running my course, using suppressors, or shooting machine guns. I do have 3 different pairs of gloves in my Jeep for guns, breakdowns, and general maintenance with corresponding levels of filth.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376
Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 AM
To clear, just rack once✔
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
...I generally like wearing gloves while working cause I hate cutting my hands.
Well, if you were to cut yourself while shooting, then you would be doing something wrong.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Gloves are good when setting up steel targets or picking up brass or trash in the desert.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
Good call. OP, take note: If you're going to wear tacticool gloves while shooting guns, don't forget to say you "run" them.

Old 06-20-2018, 1:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Good call. OP, take note: If you're going to wear tacticool gloves while shooting guns, don't forget to say you "run" them.
Cute. Some of us gun owners don't just squat at a bench or belly up to a counter and call it practice. If I want to do that I can plunk down 50 cents at the Cabelas laser shooting gallery.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376
Old 06-20-2018, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Cute. Some of us gun owners don't just squat at a bench or belly up to a counter and call it practice. If I want to do that I can plunk down 50 cents at the Cabelas laser shooting gallery.
yup.

i absolutely hate wearing gloves. too hot.
don't like shoes either, and would be barefoot all the time if i could.

but in a disaster situation, i am not going to go barefoot and i'm not digging out people from buildings without some gloves, and end up sidelined like a victim with of a gash on my hand because gloves are for sissies.

do i really think the s will hit the fan?
no, but if it does, i want some gloves that fit and i want to be able to shoot if needed while i have them on.
Old 06-20-2018, 1:32 PM

I'm a big fan of Husky bags from home depot. They are half the price of anything labeled "Range Bag" and hold just as much, if not more stuff.
Old 06-20-2018, 1:39 PM

Maybe ask your husband if you can borrow some gardening gloves and see if they work?
Old 06-20-2018, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I hear ya, bro. You can’t operate if you don’t “run” gloves.

17E3E054-D450-4786-BBD8-A35AF839D4A4.jpg

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 06-20-2018 at 2:05 PM..
Old 06-20-2018, 2:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I usually only wear gloves if itís really cold, or so hot that my hands are sweaty.
I have one of their backpacks also, after trying numerous bags. Very nice stuff.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 06-20-2018, 2:04 PM

I like a flight attendant/pilot sized rolling bag myself. TJ Maxx usually has something cheap. I have sweaty hands (I even need to wear the super sweet billiards glove because I can turn chalk into mud), so I wear gloves for pretty much everything. Plus, I still cook a couple days a week, so my hands need to be alot less gross. Mechanix are fine,cheap and everywhere.
Old 06-20-2018, 2:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Hmm. I can't order tis online from them eh? I guess I will have to take a drive to Oakdale next time I am close.
You can't even order in person...their website says "This is a business information website. We do not sell any of these products directly to the consumer."
Old 06-20-2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonBear723 View Post
I'm a big fan of Husky bags from home depot. They are half the price of anything labeled "Range Bag" and hold just as much, if not more stuff.
Good idea, thx!
Old 06-20-2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Itís available on amazon and Brownells. Hereís a link to Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...prod79458.aspx

Or google ďgps tactical range backpackĒ and youíll find it.
Old 06-20-2018, 4:29 PM

For a dedicated “range backpack” the Maxpedition Ordnance pack is pretty awesome.
Old 06-20-2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:

Another big +1 on GPS bags. I had the tactical for a while and decided I wanted something that carries a bit more so upgraded to The Executive. Both are great bags, very durable, and worth the money in my opinion. I'm very happy with both.
Old 06-20-2018, 5:08 PM

Default 5.11

I use this bag when I am going for just handguns: https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical.../dp/B01FRVQCTE

I use for mixed long guns and handguns, a FILBE ruck as I carry a cleaning kit, IFAK, tools, hearing protection and rest bags. I carry some of those with the handgun bag as well. The IFAK is because I only have public range access and some of the newbies are scary and the life it may save may be mine.

I was told that practicing with gloves, such as something you might use for SHTF is a good idea. But I do not have gloves dedicated to range time. I have been looking for gloves that have heat protection, my lever actions get very hot. I do not like those tactical gloves with the plastic knuckles or all the padding. And I have it difficult to find gloves of any kind that fit me properly.

Last edited by vino68; 06-20-2018 at 5:14 PM.. Reason: Did not complete thought.
Old 06-20-2018, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
I use this bag when I am going for just handguns: https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical.../dp/B01FRVQCTE

I use for mixed long guns and handguns, a FILBE ruck as I carry a cleaning kit, IFAK, tools, hearing protection and rest bags. I carry some of those with the handgun bag as well. The IFAK is because I only have public range access and some of the newbies are scary and the life it may save may be mine.

I was told that practicing with gloves, such as something you might use for SHTF is a good idea. But I do not have gloves dedicated to range time. I have been looking for gloves that have heat protection, my lever actions get very hot. I do not like those tactical gloves with the plastic knuckles or all the padding. And I have it difficult to find gloves of any kind that fit me properly.
https://www.harborfreight.com/riding...rge-99583.html these are size large, they have them in different sizes. I use them mostly running chainsaw or using weed whacker on berry vines, but they would work for shooting too.

Last edited by TMB 1; 06-20-2018 at 5:30 PM..
Old 06-20-2018, 5:46 PM

I use a Tippmann players duffel bag for a range bag. Fits everything and can always just say "it's paintball stuff" for nosy neighbors. I've also been asked about "what those long cases are" (soft cases for long guns)..."oh they are pool cues, I teach billiard classes sometimes". As for gloves, nothing better than golf gloves.
Freedom thrives on the illusion of choice. Slaves feel free when they get to choose a different side of the same coin. This distracts them from the bonds of their economic chains and ensures their allegiance to their captors. ~Me
Old 06-20-2018, 5:58 PM
G u n t h u s i a s t
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_Ghost View Post
As for gloves, nothing better than golf gloves.
tommylee.jpg

Old 06-20-2018, 6:06 PM

golf gloves are great if you have sweaty hands i suppose
they would do very little to protect your hands from injury and should be considered useless for anything but the range on a hot day.
Old 06-20-2018, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

The Midway bag is the value play for range bags...and even more of a value if you can catch it on sale. The Midway bag is a knock off of the Shooters Connection Pro bag...which is built like an absolute tank. It's also a hell of a value at around $100 if you're a competition shooter and use your bag a lot.

For gloves, the standard Mechanix brand of gloves are excellent. The PIG Alpha gloves are also excellent but they're also about twice the price as the Mechanix gloves. If anyone tells you gloves are for sissies or tacticool, I would tell them to "bite you"...politely of course.

https://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Full-Dext...-p/pig.700.htm

Fighter Pilot