Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-10-2019, 6:05 PM

Default Vehicle for prep and every day

Soon I am going to be shopping for a different vehicle and I was thinking of a diesel truck or a used 4Runner. I would rather not have to buy a brand new vehicle due to the cost.

I see the pro's of diesel but the daily driving of a full size truck in urban LA seems like it would be a pain.

I wanted to check in here and see what advice or thoughts anyone would share.
Old 02-10-2019, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

4runner...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 02-10-2019, 6:22 PM

I drive a full size, extended cab, 8' bed, diesel, 5spd manual Dodge and it's a major Pain in the A for daily driving but I do it. Truck has no computers, no sensors, gets 14mpg towing my toy hauler and 20 unloaded.

I didn't buy it for Prepping or anything. Being a heavy equipment operator for the last 20 years I know the Cummins 4 and 6 BT are arguably one of the best diesel engines ever built and wanted a truck with one wrapped around it. Also didn't to deal with California and their diesel smog so bought older.
Old 02-10-2019, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner at 195k miles. It has had its share of problems (recently, the starter and radiator + misc other oil leaks). Otherwise, after all of the abuse etc, it has been pretty low maintenance and is very versatile and capable as an everyday driver and also for overland/off-road type stuff.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-11-2019, 6:44 AM

unless you have lots of towing in your future there is no reason to buy a diesel PU. Not sure how much looking you have done but the used market for diesels is crazy especially for the cummins. 15+ year old trucks with 100k miles listed at 30k+
Old 02-11-2019, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Not exactly apples to apples; what are your needs to begin with?

A diesel pick up adds a lot of utility, but will you ever need it?

Are you ready for the higher cost of maintaining a diesel pick up? I owned two different Gen 2 Cummins and although they were beasts, cost of maintenance is much higher than your standard gasoline engine.

If you can pull it off, buy both. Can never have enough cars/trucks!
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM

For day to day I want to be able to get to work reliably and not feel like I have been beat up on the way there. I see full size pickups and I always think, how do they find parking in lots built for prius's.

I would like to have room to put my rifles/ammo to the range, right now trying to stuff that in the car trunk makes me ... not want to go.

I agree on the premium for the diesels, there is also a premium on anything 4 runner or tacoma also.

I was not aware of the higher cost of maintenance of a diesel, I had just read about the reliability and ease of fuel storage.
Old 02-20-2019, 5:46 PM
Veteran Member

I've been looking for a Diesel Toyota but you'll be hard pressed to find one in the US. The solution I saw online was to get the Toyota you want, then order a used Toyota diesel engine from overseas, and find a shop to install it. Problem: Expensive.

Diesel can be converted to Biofuel if you're willing to go through the process.

I'm happy with my Ford Ranger. If performs like a champ. Full size bed, but I wish I got the extra cab to store a few more things inside - I can only keep a lockbox, some emergency supplies and a machete. I use this truck for my work when visiting rental properties. I found them easy to work on, too.
Old 02-20-2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSniper View Post
I've been looking for a Diesel Toyota but you'll be hard pressed to find one in the US. The solution I saw online was to get the Toyota you want, then order a used Toyota diesel engine from overseas, and find a shop to install it. Problem: Expensive.

Diesel can be converted to Biofuel if you're willing to go through the process.

I'm happy with my Ford Ranger. If performs like a champ. Full size bed, but I wish I got the extra cab to store a few more things inside - I can only keep a lockbox, some emergency supplies and a machete. I use this truck for my work when visiting rental properties. I found them easy to work on, too.
It doesnít work that easily. There are quite a few rules when converting gassers to diesel in CA. Itís outside the scope of this thread so I wonít go into it.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Another way to go is; use your current vehicle as the daily it is.

Buy another vehicle and build it how you see fit. I just sold my Frontier and I've got one of my Corvettes for sale; I'm thinking of taking some cash and dumping it into my Tacoma. Really it'd be used for dispersed camping but who knows...just an idea
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
It doesnít work that easily. There are quite a few rules when converting gassers to diesel in CA. Itís outside the scope of this thread so I wonít go into it.
I totally agree. Rules rules rules ... and then some more.
Old 02-21-2019, 5:49 AM

Just got myself a used Land (crusher) Cruiser, was looking for a 4 door 4x4 Tacoma and a V8 4x4 4Runner. Both were hard to find and time was not an option. I love the older tundra v8 4x4 but again very hard to find. Can't go wrong with Toyota, if you have time you can find a nice rig. My search was from the Santa Barbara to San Diego regions.
Old 02-21-2019, 8:53 AM

I have a 2003 Land Cruiser that is both my daily driver and off-roader. Love it and it has lots of off road capabilities. However, it is a gas hog at about 13MPG and I have to be careful of garage height limits. Also, if you are concerned about EMPs than this truck is not for you given all the electronics.

On road it is very comfy and has enough get up and go to not be an issue.

If you go this route, look for something in the 2004-2007 range as these have backup cameras. The Toyota Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX470 are the same thing under the skin though the Lexi has more creature comforts and an adjustable height (hydraulic) suspension. that can raise or lower 2" from normal driving position.
Old 02-21-2019, 8:58 AM

What is a prepper vehicle?
As in EMP hardened? Just a 4x4 with accessible parts? A vehicle that anyone can work on on the side of the road without code readers and specialty tools?

For some reason a vehicle with electronics out the wazoo, and back up cameras really don't strike me as a vehicle to be used in a prepper situation.
I would think hardwired old school CJ or Scout. Even real land cruisers ( pre 76 )
Old 02-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

What type of an event are you worried about?

A "the end of the world as we know it" type event is what most folks picture, but in that type of event the availability of liquid fuel will be extremely restricted. Fuel also becomes impossible to get in the "collapsed economy" type of disasters, look at what is happening now in Venezuela as an example. I see the same thing for an EMP type event. The trucks that deliver gas to the gas stations are not EMP hardened. It will take several hours after an event for the supply to completely run out.

I'd be more worried about needing to evacuated due to an earthquake or civil unrest as opposed to a complete breakdown of the entire country. In that type go event you'd want something you can camp or live out of for maybe a month at a time.

A 4x4 might be useful, but then again, the CHP didn't allow the people evacuating from Paradise to drive off the road while leaving town. Some basic recovery gear like a snatch strap (not a tow strap), a full sized spare tire, a battery jumper box, and the tools to use them are probably more useful then 4x4, since the tow trucks will probably be really busy during an evacuation.

Something like a mid-sized van is an economical option. If you go offroading and camping then the same rig you use for that is probably perfect.

Learning how to live on your camping gear is much more important then which type of vehicle you use.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12

Last edited by unusedusername; 02-21-2019 at 11:56 AM..
Old 02-21-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
What is a prepper vehicle?
As in EMP hardened? Just a 4x4 with accessible parts? A vehicle that anyone can work on on the side of the road without code readers and specialty tools?

For some reason a vehicle with electronics out the wazoo, and back up cameras really don't strike me as a vehicle to be used in a prepper situation.
I would think hardwired old school CJ or Scout. Even real land cruisers ( pre 76 )
Aka a 1st or 2nd gen Dodge Cummins. They can run on automatic transmission fluid. Thatís a fuel source that will be everywhere and overlooked/not useful to 99.9% of the population.

I have a 1st gen with 4 Wheel Camper pop up.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:53 PM

1st Gen here too and usually filter my old engine oil and dump it back in the fuel tank
Old 02-22-2019, 2:31 AM

I have a soft spot for the old Jeep Cherokee XJ and its tough 4.0L engine. Here is a nice write up about the 4.0L, and it might not be far from the truth.

Quote:
The original Jeep 4.0L inline-six was hewn from a solid block of granite by lightning bolts. Its cylinders were bored by the Imperial Winds and its rotating assembly was balanced by the Scales of Justice.

The Ancient Egyptians used Jeep 4.0L engines to move the blocks which built the Pyramids, only switching to slave labor when it was found to be cheaper than the olive oil used to fuel the engines.

Scientists have ranked the Jeep 4.0L engine as one of the strongest forces of nature, racking right up there with tectonic plate shifts for its low-end torque, and being surpassed by hurricanes only for its comparatively low redline.

Mechanics have found imprints of fossilized dinosaur bones in block castings, and serial numbers in Roman numerals are a common sight.

The design of the 4.0L's fuel injection system has been traced to the archives of Leonardo DaVinci, and early manuscripts of Shakespeare plays have been used as head gaskets for this engine (which, incidentally, explains the gaps in Shakespeare's collected works as well as the 4.0L's tendancy [sic] to leak oil).

The engine's ancient roots also explain its ability to run on some very non-conventional fuels (original translations of the Rosetta Stone include evidence of Jeep 4.0L engines running on ox blood) as well as lubrications (during the Middle Ages, Jeep 4.0L crankcases were often filled with barley, with no detrimental effect on power output).

Historians maintain that the fall of the Roman Empire hinged on their inability to design a superior engine, and had the Titanic been powered by a 4.0L Jeep engine, 1912 might have been a much happier year. Yes, had early-20th-century naval engineers had a touch more foresight, the Jeep 4.0L may have saved mankind from ever having to endure Leonardo DiCaprio and Celene [sic] Dion in the same sitting.

The only weakness in this otherwise unstoppable force of nature? Emissions. Yes, the engine's design may have come from the hand of Zeus, and its exhaust note at full throttle may have reverberated along the rock formations of Arizona to forge the Grand Canyon, but by the year 2007 its crude emissions control (originally consisting of papyrus strips soaked in the tears of the young Tutankhaman [sic]) had become outmoded, and the legendary, nay Biblical force of the Jeep 4.0L was put to rest.
Old 02-22-2019, 6:36 AM

Yep...it all depends on the requirements of the owner.

If they are preparing from an EMP then electronics are a no go. If not, then modern vehicles are a possibility.

If they want to be able to perform maintenance and repairs then commonality of parts, ease of diagnostics, proper tools, and most importantly the aptitude and knowledge to wrench on a vehicle as required.

If they are also using this as a daily driver then you have to compromise on the creature comforts for you and your passengers as well as be able to park in and around town...hence the benefits of a backup camera in a large vehicle and the concern for height and garage parking.

What your preparing for will also impact the fuel types and economy of your vehicle. If you just want to get away from a regional issue then you need to plan to have enough fuel at any moment to get out of the area but expect working gas pumps down the road or in the next state. If you think it is a global calamity, then being able to access or make your own fuel is a definite consideration. Flex fuel vehicles may be able to run on fuel you make, same with some types of diesels. Also, at a given gas station, the diesel tanks may still have fuel when the gas tanks are empty.
Old 02-22-2019, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

Let history be your guide. Based on the Century our scenarios will be short term localized natural disasters or Urban civil unrest.

So any Mad Max Road Warrier drive will fail due to stalled vehicles, road blocks or the like.

Get a Vehicle thats reliable gets decent milage and one you can do basic repairs on.

And think of the grey man approach, your wonder survival mobile will hardly go unnoticed or unchallenged if full out milspec or hard core off road...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 02-22-2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post
I have a soft spot for the old Jeep Cherokee XJ and its tough 4.0L engine. Here is a nice write up about the 4.0L, and it might not be far from the truth.
I have wanted one for years!