Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-11-2018, 9:46 PM

Default Hera Stock on a standard AR

Fiddling with one and there is a sizable gap between the stock and the lower on the horizontal plane. My thoughts are I need a thicker sling mount?

Thoughts from the collective?
Old 02-12-2018, 5:33 PM

Dunno, got a couple of them waiting to be installed ; should be a five minute job ,but I keep putting it off.
Old 02-12-2018, 6:05 PM

Pic
Old 02-12-2018, 7:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
Fiddling with one and there is a sizable gap between the stock and the lower on the horizontal plane. My thoughts are I need a thicker sling mount? Thoughts from the collective?
A picture would help but it sounds like the receiver end plate is not radiused enough to fit the channel. Is the grip screw lining up?
Old 02-13-2018, 6:49 AM

Fixed. Ok so Im putting the hera stock on a Beowulf with a standard long A2 stock. The standard stock is longer so you have to use a carbine buffer tube and guts. The castle nut takes up the space as the Hera stock is Carbine length. Hope this helps the next guy.

Last edited by lear60man; 02-13-2018 at 6:51 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Fixed. Ok so Im putting the hera stock on a Beowulf with a standard long A2 stock. The standard stock is longer so you have to use a carbine buffer tube and guts. The castle nut takes up the space as the Hera stock is Carbine length. Hope this helps the next guy.
Very good; glad you figured it out.

How do you like the Hera so far?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...you have to use a carbine buffer tube ..
Yes, a mil spec carbine buffer tube (if there is such a thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonehorseman View Post
...How do you like the Hera so far?
I have two Hera stocks one on my dedicated 22LR and one on my AR15 9mm carbine. I like the stocks but they are very short. I put a long spacer on my 22LR and I left my carbine the standard length. The standard one is about as short as I would ever go and the extended one is still shorter than an A2 stock. They look good, don't pull your whiskers out, ride the bags well and are rock solid.
Old 02-13-2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonehorseman View Post
Very good; glad you figured it out.

How do you like the Hera so far?
Dont know as its in pieces but fit and finish appear to be high. Ill get the Hera extention.
Old 02-14-2018, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
Yes, a mil spec carbine buffer tube (if there is such a thing).

I have two Hera stocks one on my dedicated 22LR and one on my AR15 9mm carbine. I like the stocks but they are very short. I put a long spacer on my 22LR and I left my carbine the standard length. The standard one is about as short as I would ever go and the extended one is still shorter than an A2 stock. They look good, don't pull your whiskers out, ride the bags well and are rock solid.
Quote:
Dont know as its in pieces but fit and finish appear to be high. Ill get the Hera extention.
The shortness of the stock is the biggest complaint I've heard regarding the Hera. They do sell a spacer set to get more length.

It does look well made, though that should be expected for the price point.
Old 02-15-2018, 8:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have one of these. I ended up buying all the different spacers to get the LOP right. Everything is different with these idiotic featureless setups including your normal LOP. I also installed and highly recommend a RRA ambi star safety selector. It gives you someplace to hang your thumb.

Biggest down side for me is the extremely narrow and hard as a brick recoil pad. I use this on a 458 SOCOM and it's brutal. I installed a grind to fit kick-eez oversize pad. It looks kind of funky but life is good now.
Old 02-15-2018, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hera stock work well. Fit and finish are good. The only thing I don’t like is the little rubber part you have to use to hold the safety detent spring in place. Eventually it’s going to deteriorate before everything else. There is also a clear insert for the block off plate available. I used a Strike Switch safety which acts as a good thumb rest.
Old 02-21-2018, 9:45 PM

Ok so work in progress. Installed it tonight and gonna order the extensions as I dont like the stubby length. But once I got the carbine parts, it went together with no issues. Let me walk that back a bit.....the main grip set screw can be a bugger to get threaded. If you have a ball ended allen wrench, it will help.