Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-20-2013, 8:13 AM

Yeah I understand what your saying, I personally would hunt my small game with a .22 air rifle and keep my .22lr for back up. With a magnum springer you can bring home rabitts, squirrels, ducks, birds, turkey, racoons and more. The .22 LR can take out what the air rifle can't.

Last edited by Loco45; 04-20-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Old 04-20-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoriousRacing View Post
I'm adding break action air rifles to my prepping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRai2001 View Post
Lol.. Bc pigeons and squirrels will sustain you through any crisis?? .22lr is soooo cheap normally.. Would be much more practical
I didn't say I've stopped stocking as much .22lr as I can. I'm also pretty sure these air rifles can do more damage than kill a squirrel.

And yes, a squirrel or pigeon here or there means dipping less into the freeze-dried supplies.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 PM

Yeah they can definitely do more than kill a squirrel or a pigeon

Last edited by Loco45; 04-20-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 5:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well, you guys convinced me!

I ordered a Benjamin Marauder, with airpump from Pyramid Air and I'm paying the $10 for them to check it out for me too.

In my City, you aren't even allowed to shoot a slingshot (!!) so no real backyard plinking.

But you know, things don't get cheaper (ever) and I know I want one, so might as well get one now.

Especially before Feinstein decides that airguns are assault weapons as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 PM

What do you guys think about the GAMO silent cat in .177? I bought it about a week ago and I haven't been able to hit anything with it? I have it zero'd at about 50 yards ... But I can never hit any of the birds I take shots at?? They crap all over my backyard and nest in my roof? I live in the country side so I m usually shooting at 30 -50 yards..

How accurate can .177 guns be? Should I switch to a .22 air rifle for better accuracy??

Thanks
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
What do you guys think about the GAMO silent cat in .177? I bought it about a week ago and I haven't been able to hit anything with it? I have it zero'd at about 50 yards ... But I can never hit any of the birds I take shots at?? They crap all over my backyard and nest in my roof? I live in the country side so I m usually shooting at 30 -50 yards..

How accurate can .177 guns be? Should I switch to a .22 air rifle for better accuracy??

Thanks
Gamos are OK, they are made in spain and a bit better than some of the Chinese clones imported under a fancy brand name. The biggest downside to Gamos is they ALL have terrible triggers so that does hurt accuracy a bit.

The believe the old saying goes, "177 is for feathers, 22 is for furs". I always recommend 22, i feel 177 is really best for target practice. The 22s are more of a hunting caliber. I dont want to be holding a 177 if i need to dispatch a big nasty possum or raccon. I'm sure a 22 magnum powered could do it though.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingdaotze View Post
Not a pellet gun, but I bought a JG BAR-10 airsoft gun over Black Friday because I just didn't have the time to drive to Angeles every weekend. I got the rifle for $60, plus a cheap-o 4x NcStar scope for $20, and 2000 biodegradable BB's for $5. The trigger is absolute crap, but it's a pretty fun plinker. It can make exit wounds in coke cans at less than 20 ft, but it lacks consistent accuracy past 30 feet. You can still hit cans at 60+ feet... just expect one out of every five shots or so to be flyers.

As an added bonus, it works great for keeping squirrels out of our family's fruit trees. Enough to sting 'em but not enough to seriously hurt 'em.

Lastly, there's a huge aftermarket for this gun... kinda like the 10/22. I'm probably going to buy some parts (precision barrel + zero trigger + upgraded springs) and do some mods to see what kind of FPS and accuracy I can push out to 50 ft.

I have more into my airsoft rifle than some people have into pellet rifles... But I have made shots out to 400 feet, and can consistently make shots at 250. oh, and Bio bb's don't like most guns. Try getting your hands on some .40 gram BBs and do some simple mods like wrapping your inner barrel with electric tape, wrapping any joints with teflon, and upgrading your hop-up rubber.

As for real air guns, Strongly considering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks
I have a Gamo Big Cat 1200 that i bought about 2 years ago. You need to put about 500 pellets through it and try different ones to see which produce the best groups. It takes time to do it but once you do it you will be good to go. With mine the Cometa Extra Heavy 10.4 grain is the best followed by Beeman 7.4 Coated HP. All the Gamo ammo sucked. You have to learn the military hold as its a double recoil gun. The scope will walk also unless you secure it well. I can shoot tiny groups with it now and its accurate out to 50 to sixty yards with some nice groups out to 75 yards when its calm. Cheersl
Old 04-23-2013, 7:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Do you use the artillery hold when shooting it, or do you hold the rifle like you would with a regular rifle? If you're not using the artillery hold, that could be an issue and what kind of ammo do you use? It could be that too.. I have a Gamo Sporter 500, not as high powered as yours, but still enough for small game, it does about 750 FPS with standard lead ammo. I also have a Crosman Phantom which hits 1050 to 1100 FPS with lead ammo and I have no problem hitting what I'm aiming at with that one either, unless it's ammo the gun doesn't like of course... The .177 is definitely a good choice, but if you are thinking of getting a .22 air rifle and have money to spend, I say go ahead and get one of those too. I am about to invest in a Crosman Optimus in .22 when I get some money I've been waiting on.. It's 109 bucks and hits at 850 FPS in .22 cal..
Old 04-23-2013, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco45 View Post
Do you use the artillery hold when shooting it, or do you hold the rifle like you would with a regular rifle? If you're not using the artillery hold, that could be an issue and what kind of ammo do you use? It could be that too.. I have a Gamo Sporter 500, not as high powered as yours, but still enough for small game, it does about 750 FPS with standard lead ammo. I also have a Crosman Phantom which hits 1050 to 1100 FPS with lead ammo and I have no problem hitting what I'm aiming at with that one either, unless it's ammo the gun doesn't like of course... The .177 is definitely a good choice, but if you are thinking of getting a .22 air rifle and have money to spend, I say go ahead and get one of those too. I am about to invest in a Crosman Optimus in .22 when I get some money I've been waiting on.. It's 109 bucks and hits at 850 FPS in .22 cal..
I just got the .177 about a week an a half ago.. I was thinking about returning it and getting a .22 version? .22 will have slightly lower speeds but much greater accuracy given its heavier size??
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-23-2013, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharxbyte View Post
I have more into my airsoft rifle than some people have into pellet rifles... But I have made shots out to 400 feet, and can consistently make shots at 250. oh, and Bio bb's don't like most guns. Try getting your hands on some .40 gram BBs and do some simple mods like wrapping your inner barrel with electric tape, wrapping any joints with teflon, and upgrading your hop-up rubber.

As for real air guns, Strongly considering it.
I remember seeing some metal BBs that could be used in air soft guns.. Anyone try anything like that? Could be a cool way to make an automatic BB gun?? Imagine how man pigeons you could take out with that..
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-23-2013, 9:16 AM

Quote:
I just got the .177 about a week an a half ago.. I was thinking about returning it and getting a .22 version? .22 will have slightly lower speeds but much greater accuracy given its heavier size??
I mean personally I can get really nice groupings with both .177 and .22, but you know your gun best and if you really want to trade it in for a .22 I say go for it, but also to let you know since you just got it, it's not broken in yet, you need to put about 500 to 1000 rounds through it to break it in and also since it's a break barrel, you really need the artillery hold, holding it like you would hold a regular rifle will result in a lot of strays and poor accuracy
Old 04-23-2013, 9:28 AM

Quote:
I remember seeing some metal BBs that could be used in air soft guns.. Anyone try anything like that? Could be a cool way to make an automatic BB gun?? Imagine how man pigeons you could take out with that..
If you're looking for a good automatic .177 cal steel BB gun (not airsoft), check out the Umarex Steel Storm, it hits at 430 FPS and has a single shot and six shot burst selector or wait a month or two and Umarex is going to put their new Steel Force (AR15) rifle on the market and has the same single shot/six shot burst function, but hits at 550 fps

EDIT: Sorry for the double post

Last edited by Loco45; 04-23-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
If you're looking for a good automatic .177 cal steel BB gun (not airsoft), check out the Umarex Steel Storm, it hits at 430 FPS and has a single shot and six shot burst selector or wait a month or two and Umarex is going to put their new Steel Force (AR15) rifle on the market and has the same single shot/six shot burst function, but hits at 550 fps

EDIT: Sorry for the double post
Wow that pretty cool!!! How much do they go for? What range would they have? Would 500 fps be sufficient for taking out pigeons and other varmint birds?

What power source do they use? Co2?
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 AM

It's not recommended to hunt with them, but I can tell you, at close range crows and varmint won't stand a chance. The steel storm is about 80 bucks at www.pyramydair.com and the steel force will be about 150 is what the guys at Umarex told me. I got to try out the steel force when I was on the set for the tv show American Airgunner and it was a lot of fun. If you look at my avatar, that's the steel force that I'm holding. It is powered by 2 12gram CO2's and has a 300 round reservoir and a inbuilt 30 round mag.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For some caliber discussion, look here http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/...25-part-1.html

In a nutshell;

.177 is the only caliber they allow in Olympic air rifle competition, therefore, extremely high quality pellets AND guns are available in .177. But effective range/accuracy is about 50 yards. ALSO most .177 pellets can go supersonic and therefore you get that "crack" that you hear, similar to .22 rimfire. Many .177 can shoot BBs. But I've read that BB's can rattle down the bore and damage the rifling.

.22 has a longer range due to it's larger mass. easy to find pellets, but nobody really makes "match grade" pellets because no "Official" matches use .22. Nice familiar caliber. You can get quieter guns in .22 due to the bullets being heavy/slow enough not to break the sound barrier. Good enough to take out rats, vermin, birds, etc, etc.

.25 better for hunting stuff. All the pluses that a .22 has but, not as popular a caliber, so less pellet selection. Price vs .22 is a toss up since it uses more lead, but also a lot of it out there since it's not as popular, but apparently it's very popular in Europe so there is a lot out there (or something).

I picked the Benjamin Marauder in .22. I hear it's very quiet, so maybe I can sit just inside my basement door and plink stuff in the backyard without the cops being called. It will make a good substitute for .22 lr while the panic is on, and I don't shoot animals, so I don't need a .25.

remarkably expensive for an air gun. I think my first Daisy was $20-$30, but my Dad gave that to me when I was about 6...He didn't buy me any BB's though! LOL!

Hey, lots of good airgun infor on a bunch of other sites!

I wasn't aware that they made .45 and .50 caliber air rifles!!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 AM

Yeah don't use bb's on any .177 that shoots both pellets and BB's because the bb's will damage your rifling. Depending on what you want to do with the gun though, .177 is definitely the most versatile airgun caliber out there. .22 and .25 is better for hunting small game though, but a high-powered .177 will take care of pest problems and put some good poultry on the table as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Switching to airguns---NO!
Old 04-23-2013, 7:30 PM

This thread is like perfect timing .. I just bought my airgun right when this thread started.. I ve been sniping (attempting to) from my bedroom window.. I m getting close but haven't hit anything yet..

Is there a such this as "too" powerful of an air rifle? I m afraid I may damage my backyard or roof while takin shots at birds?? I usually wait or them to land on a tree or bush
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-23-2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
This thread is like perfect timing .. I just bought my airgun right when this thread started.. I ve been sniping (attempting to) from my bedroom window.. I m getting close but haven't hit anything yet..

Is there a such this as "too" powerful of an air rifle? I m afraid I may damage my backyard or roof while takin shots at birds?? I usually wait or them to land on a tree or bush
If u have a powerful springer or PCP air rifle, there are those that are too powerful yes. Even my .177 Crosman Phantom I think is too powerful for my backyard, but if I had a .22 LR bullet trap or trap that is recommended for high powered air rifles, I could go ahead and shoot my phantom. What kind of air rifle do you have? What are the specs?
Old 04-23-2013, 8:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
Switching to airguns---NO!
I should have asked "Adding air guns"

500 pellets about $10-$20, buy them on Amazon.
500 LR about $75, lol buy them from some guy in a parking lot at Walmart.

For now I mean!

Also I plan to teach my kids on this thing, after they get over their Daisy's (which they won't get for years yet).

My wife is OK with me teaching them to shoot, but I'd like to be able to teach them without ear protection at first.

Gotta think ahead! And .... yeah, you know I bought this thing for ME.
Old 04-23-2013, 9:08 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: San Diego, National Socialist Democratic Republic of Facistfornia

This Crosman 180 showed up today. Unbelievably QUIET !!
.22 @550FPS adjustable trigger travel and the trigger is a double set.
Power level is also adjustable. Refinished stock and a 12" "muzzle brake".

Just $130.00 w/ scope and rebuilt with all new seals and chamber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pix389599399.jpg (38.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg pix139939623.jpg (42.7 KB, 43 views)

-Abraham Lincoln,a summation of a speech given at the Lyceum in 1838
=======================================
"Revolution against tyranny is the most sacred of duties"
- Benjamin Franklin -1775
Old 04-23-2013, 9:54 PM

At the Walmart by house right now ... What do you Gus think of these 2 guns:

1) beeman dual caliber grizzly (1000fps with .177 and 800 fps with .22)?
2) Benjamin nitro trail (950 fps with .22 alloy pellets)??

Also is there any major "knockdown" difference between regular lead pellets and alloy pellets when hunting varmint and small game?
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM

I would pick the Benjamin, because it has a Nitro piston, but Beeman makes good guns too, so it's a tough one. The Beeman has an automatic safety if I'm not mistaken and dual caliber gives you options to shoot both .177 and .22, it has a scope and iron sights if you don't want the scope, but since it's a regular spring piston, you can't keep it cocked for more than about 30 minutes or else you'll damage the spring and it will cause a lot of wear and tear. The nitro piston is high quality, can be cocked as long as you want without damaging the piston, it has a non automatic safety, it packs a good punch, but lacks iron sights so you'll have to use a scope and if you're not satisfied with the stock scope, you'll have to find a scope specifically made for magnum springers, because the recoil in the springer goes back and forth, and it will knock the scope out of line if you get a regular firearm scope. My first reply was Benjamin hands down, but I had to edit it because there's pros and cons about both guns.
Also yes there's a difference in knockdown and performance in different pellets. Crosman guns (Benjamin is also Crosman), usually like Crosman ammo which is widely available. My personal favorites are the Crosman Destroyers and Crosman Premier Hollow Point and if I'm using a less powered gun and want to take out some varmints in my yard, I also use Crosman Pointed pellets too. My Gamo Rifle also likes Crosman Pellets, but Beeman I've heard like RWS and H&N pellets, but this can vary from gun to gun too, because all guns are different and like different ammo

Last edited by Loco45; 04-23-2013 at 10:28 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
If u have a powerful springer or PCP air rifle, there are those that are too powerful yes. Even my .177 Crosman Phantom I think is too powerful for my backyard, but if I had a .22 LR bullet trap or trap that is recommended for high powered air rifles, I could go ahead and shoot my phantom. What kind of air rifle do you have? What are the specs?
I recently bought the GAMO silent cat in .177. But I thinking o returning it and getting the .22 version?
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 PM

If I were you, I would try to get it sighted in, that's a nice rifle right there (it's this one right? http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Silent_Cat/1860)
But if you would choose to trade it for a .22 cal air rifle, you could do that too. If you're undecided, get your money back and do some research at www.pyramydair.com too and they can help you find the gun that suits you best.
Old 04-24-2013, 8:55 AM

Nice review on the Benny Nitro w/ different ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In1O27YgkNI

Old 04-24-2013, 9:15 AM

Quote:
If I were you, I would try to get it sighted in, that's a nice rifle right there (it's this one right? http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Silent_Cat/1860)
But if you would choose to trade it for a .22 cal air rifle, you could do that too. If you're undecided, get your money back and do some research at www.pyramydair.com too and they can help you find the gun that suits you best.
Ya that's the one I have I got it for $169 at big 5 and later found it for $149 at Walmart ..

I was shooting it this mornin and I used the alloy pellet it comes with and yes it increased its already fast velocity to an even more noticably faster velocity... BUT wow was it loud!!! You guys were right when you said it sounds like .22lr. IMHO to suppressor on the silent cat was useless ?
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-24-2013, 1:53 PM

@NRai2001 Yeah it's always better to use lead pellets than alloy hyper velocity pellets. You'll get a lot better accuracy with the heavier pellet and more knock down power when hunting small game too.
@bplvr, yeah that guy Ted who did that video has a lot of good airgun videos. I've learned a bit myself from his videos.
Old 04-24-2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
@NRai2001 Yeah it's always better to use lead pellets than alloy hyper velocity pellets. You'll get a lot better accuracy with the heavier pellet and more knock down power when hunting small game too.
@bplvr, yeah that guy Ted who did that video has a lot of good airgun videos. I've learned a bit myself from his videos.
Well that Ted guy cost me $150.00 cuz I grabbed a Benny .22 trail NP..

Old 04-24-2013, 7:35 PM

As long as it doesn't encourage you to get into "air soft". I went on a blind date with this dude a couple years ago who started naming off all the guns he had- a nice collection of some impressive ****. When I started asking some other questions, he told me they were for air soft. Biggest girl boner killer EVER.
Old 04-24-2013, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelina View Post
As long as it doesn't encourage you to get into "air soft". I went on a blind date with this dude a couple years ago who started naming off all the guns he had- a nice collection of some impressive ****. When I started asking some other questions, he told me they were for air soft. Biggest girl boner killer EVER.
lol.. I don't knock those who like Air Soft, but personally I like things that shoot metal projectiles at high speeds and there are many powerful airguns out there that I really enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplvr View Post
Well that Ted guy cost me $150.00 cuz I grabbed a Benny .22 trail NP..
So how did you like the Benjamin Trail?

Last edited by Loco45; 04-24-2013 at 8:07 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelina View Post
=====================================
After 45-70 and 50-150 bp 'we' seem to be moving to the stealthy .22's

I can shoot mine in the front room and it can't be heard in the kitchen ,but it still runs @ 1200 FPS.
One fellow has an F/A .22 that shoots 2000RPM @ 1240 RPM.

This is NOT your BF's airsoft.

Old 04-24-2013, 9:50 PM

That sounds nice man, stealth is nice! And what fully auto air gun is it that your friend has? Is it his own that he made or is it one of the .22 pellet SMG's or a .22 pellet BMG? I've seen a few of the fully autos online, but like the ones I mentioned, they run about 500-1000 bucks. I told Umarex they should try making one and put it in mass production so the prices would be more affordable. They said my idea is cool, but I don't know if they'll actually make one like that... Right now they got the .177 cal Umarex Steel Force (AR15 replica) coming out which has a single shot / 6 shot burst selector switch and hits at about 550 fps.
By the way for those interested in reading a good airgun blog, check out http://airgun-academy.pyramydair.com/blog/ and just to let you know, I'm not trying to spam and advertise, I don't even work for that company, but it has a lot of good info, so I thought I would spread the word.

Last edited by Loco45; 04-25-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 3:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The problem with .117 is that, unless you use really heavy pellets, the pellets go supersonic so you get that "crack" sound, like a .22lr. And it doesn't matter what you do to "silence" the gun, it will always make that crack sound.

That's the main reason I went with .22

But my rifle is back ordered
Old 04-25-2013, 3:46 PM

had to google "artillery hold", ...learn something new everyday. thanks guys
Old 04-25-2013, 3:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
Yeah, I did that too! It's a phrase coined by some well respected air-gun guy.

Basically it means to not death-grip the stock and to sort of let it recoil in your hands, like how those big artillery pieces are allowed to recoil. This is supposed to lessen the recoil produced by spring piston guns since the piston causes a double recoil as is shoots forward then stops (or something)
Old 04-25-2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
Sure thing! The artillery hold is something I recently learned myself, around 2011 sometime I think and since I've learned it, my accuracy with spring piston rifles has greatly improved.

Speaking of airguns, I just had some trigger time with my Crosman 357 (10 round pellet revolver) and my Colt Defender (BB pistol) .177 CO2 pistols and got about 160 rounds off for just a couple bucks at the most. Can't even shoot that cheap with a .22 LR and right now since ammo is so hard to get, my .22 LR is going to have to stay in my pistol case for a while...
Old 04-25-2013, 4:16 PM

I just got two Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk .177-Caliber Rifle today for each of my two boys. On sale for $130. Can't wait to try it out for them.

Soon I'm planning to get a RWS/Umarex 34 Panther Pro Compact Air Rifle in .177 for me.
Old 04-25-2013, 8:08 PM

That's a good deal for the Venom Dusk! Can you let me know how it performs? That gun is also a gun I've been looking at to maybe get