Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-22-2013, 3:21 AM

Default "FEEL" of an AR15 / Colt M4... any difference?

For those that have actually fired a 'high-end' AR15 (i.e. Colt, Noveske, etc.), do different components like the heavier M16 style BCG or heavier H-stamped buffer make the rifle 'feel' different when fired than say, entry level rifles without those parts?

I'm not asking 'which-brand-is-better' or 'is-it-worth-it', I'm just wondering for those that have actually fired a Colt M4 (for example) and an entry level brand if the higher end parts improve the 'feel' of a rifle when fired. And yes, I know every rifle feels different, I guess I'm wondering about the heavier BCG and buffer (or any other high end parts) if those components translates to any difference in feel, however small.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:46 AM

For me, the differences were so subtle, i didnt even notice.
Old 02-22-2013, 6:58 AM

The buffers feel different, I honestly can't tell the difference from a semi or m16 style BCG. For reference, the m16 is lighter then the semi, not the other way around as you posted.

The good news is buffers are cheap. Heavier buffers are more of a factor of reliability, as more mass will cause more of a recoil impulse. "Milspec" weapons used for bench shooting are less comfortable then benchspec rifles used for bench shooting. Benchspec rifles used for milspec training will fail often. Use the right tool for the job at hand.

-W
Old 02-22-2013, 7:59 AM

I've fired rifles from Noveske milspec to bottom of the barrel commercial spec and I can tell you (maybe just me) that I can barely feel the difference. Recoil on the Noveske is a bit softer. Only difference I can really tell is the sound it makes.
Old 02-22-2013, 8:29 AM

feel the same
Old 02-22-2013, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerg8ggles View Post
For those that have actually fired a 'high-end' AR15 (i.e. Colt, Noveske, etc.), do different components like the heavier M16 style BCG or heavier H-stamped buffer make the rifle 'feel' different when fired than say, entry level rifles without those parts?
A nice trigger, float tube (naked, in CMP design beneath A2 plastic, or quad-rail form. FWIW as of 2011 CMP allows 12" quad rails under 6.2.3 (14)), and perhaps decent barrel make a _huge_ difference.

Minute-of-man accuracy doesn't cut it on soda cans.

That said you're better off with a few better parts on a no-name AR than something "mil spec" with premium branding.

I was rather disappointed shooting a friend's Colt which was far less accurate than I was. I really liked my Armalite Action Master with NM trigger and float tube especially running NM iron sights. I'm going to be even happier when I finish my generic machine shop project that has a Geissele trigger I'll drop in once done.

The relevant difference was closer to "as issued" and "space gun" respectively not the name stamped on the side.

As a Californian, a more recognizable name means you're more likely to end up on the assault weapon list. That could be good (once you have a registered assault weapon you don't need a stupid bullet button or grip abomination) or bad (you need to register the lower if you keep it in state). Banned by name guns are also a problem when you move between states (I left my M15 marked Armalite in a Washington state storage facility from whence it was stolen) and California isn't the only place with silly rules.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-22-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 3:34 PM

For me and I've heard this from others, the Colt buffer springs sound more "springier" than other AR's. Also, my factory stock Colt has a heavier trigger pull than my factory stock Bushmaster.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
A nice trigger, float tube (naked, in CMP design beneath A2 plastic, or quad-rail form. FWIW as of 2011 CMP allows 12" quad rails under 6.2.3 (14)), and perhaps decent barrel make a _huge_ difference.

Minute-of-man accuracy doesn't cut it on soda cans.

That said you're better off with a few better parts on a no-name AR than something "mil spec" with premium branding.

I was rather disappointed shooting a friend's Colt which was far less accurate than I was. I really liked my Armalite Action Master with NM trigger and float tube especially running NM iron sights. I'm going to be even happier when I finish my generic machine shop project that has a Geissele trigger I'll drop in once done.

The relevant difference was closer to "as issued" and "space gun" respectively not the name stamped on the side.

As a Californian, a more recognizable name means you're more likely to end up on the assault weapon list. That could be good (once you have a registered assault weapon you don't need a stupid bullet button or grip abomination) or bad (you need to register the lower if you keep it in state). Banned by name guns are also a problem when you move between states (I left my M15 marked Armalite in a Washington state storage facility from whence it was stolen) and California isn't the only place with silly rules.
If your can't hit soda cabs with your friend's colt either you need to work on your trigger pull or the gun needs to be repaired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Only real noticable difference to me has been barrel weight.Heavy barrel changes the balance and "feel" to me.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer View Post
The buffers feel different, I honestly can't tell the difference from a semi or m16 style BCG. For reference, the m16 is lighter then the semi, not the other way around as you posted.

The good news is buffers are cheap. Heavier buffers are more of a factor of reliability, as more mass will cause more of a recoil impulse. "Milspec" weapons used for bench shooting are less comfortable then benchspec rifles used for bench shooting. Benchspec rifles used for milspec training will fail often. Use the right tool for the job at hand.

-W

Do you have proof of this?
Old 02-22-2013, 3:53 PM

In terms of "feel", ZERO for me.
Old 02-22-2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank 57 View Post
Only real noticable difference to me has been barrel weight.Heavy barrel changes the balance and "feel" to me.
never even thought of the barrel... hmmm, interesting.

Someone else mentioned above that the M16 BCG is lighter? I thought it was heavier due to the auto firing capability, so I thought a heavier BCG would actually feel different during the cycling of a round (more 'solid' feel?). I guess not.

As a few suggested above and from a couple people I've talked to, seems like the trigger control group makes the biggest difference in feel, I'll have to look into that.
Old 02-22-2013, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

My AR pistol shoots better than the A2 I had in Army.

half of you here are weak and lame that will basically wind up being happy with .22 single shot pistols or single barrel shotguns..

Old 02-22-2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john67elco View Post
My AR pistol shoots better than the A2 I had in Army.
Really? Your AR pistol shoots better than the longer sight radius of an A2. WOW!
Old 02-22-2013, 4:35 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN View Post
Really? Your AR pistol shoots better than the longer sight radius of an A2. WOW!
I can see a clapped-out A2 being a worse shooter than a tight AR-pistol. A good optic on that pistol can be more accurate than your basic iron sights on a longer-sight radiused A2.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-22-2013, 8:50 PM

The only Colt I've used was an actual Colt M4. The fit and finish were terrible. Probably due to being abused, but it just didn't impress me. I like the "feel" of BCM, Noveske, or Daniel Defense much better.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 PM

I'm running a spIkes h3 buffer and colt full auto carrier and my brothers AR is running a standard buffer and the lighter bcg and I feel no difference. His gun is a mid length gas system and had a comp so it's very soft shooting in the first place compared to my carbine length gas system with a comp.

I'm no AR pro iv fired maybe 10 different AR's and one colt Class 3 in Nevada and I can only tell the difference from a bench 20" rifles and my carbine.