Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 PM

Default Good Prices for Reloading Components in Northern California?

New to Calguns as a member but always have read forum discussions here. Decided I would join to ask my fellow gun owners where is a good place in Northern California to buy reloading components, stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse and they wanted $30 for a pound of Ramshot hunter or Big game, $22-23 online at most places, was wondering who has good prices in the Redding, Chico, Sacramento to Modesto area? Figured it could help others too. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka7mm-08Remmy View Post
New to Calguns as a member but always have read forum discussions here. Decided I would join to ask my fellow gun owners where is a good place in Northern California to buy reloading components, stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse and they wanted $30 for a pound of Ramshot hunter or Big game, $22-23 online at most places, was wondering who has good prices in the Redding, Chico, Sacramento to Modesto area? Figured it could help others too. Thanks!

That's a fair price. You have to remember that you're going to pay a $15 Haz-Mat fee on top of the online price.

"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 10-02-2018, 10:15 PM
On The Edge
CGN Contributor

Join a shooting club that belongs to a range to get better bulk pricing. The last time I bought some of the more popular powders were in the $22-$24 range per LB.
You can also find powder in the classifieds here for about cost, people looking to either get out of reloading or are changing powder.
-g
Old 10-02-2018, 10:23 PM

Sportsman's Warehouse is about as fair as you will get in a B&M store in Sacramento. Sometimes Discount Shooters Supply is cheaper by a few bucks, but sometimes not. 8 pound jugs are the way to go for powder. Typically close to $200/jug. You can sometimes find private sales around $160 but they are hit and miss. Stay away from Bass Pro Shops. A few times I went in there with a $10 off $30 coupon and walked out of the store empty handed.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:30 PM

If you’re patient, you can find deals in the classifieds. Also check Gun to.net and ammoseek.com. Several months back I scored 20pounds of powder on close out for about $13/lb, shipped.
Old 10-03-2018, 1:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Sportsman's Warehouse is about as fair as you will get in a B&M store in Sacramento. Sometimes Discount Shooters Supply is cheaper by a few bucks, but sometimes not. 8 pound jugs are the way to go for powder. Typically close to $200/jug. You can sometimes find private sales around $160 but they are hit and miss. Stay away from Bass Pro Shops. A few times I went in there with a $10 off $30 coupon and walked out of the store empty handed.

This sums it up best.....
Old 10-03-2018, 5:14 AM
Veteran Member

My last powder score was online (Cabelas?). They were waiving the hazmat fee and there was free shipping. That was a few years ago.

Check out both active junky and Ebates. You might be able to stack a discount on top of it too.

Online is probably your best best.

End of the year deals are coming up. Keep a sharp eye out.

Happy hunting.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-03-2018, 7:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, some good information!

Old 10-03-2018, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka7mm-08Remmy View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback, some good information!

Also, welcome to the non-lurker part of the forums (:

"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 10-03-2018, 7:33 AM

Huntington's in Oroville is worth a shot too.
Old 10-03-2018, 8:27 AM

The gun range in North Sac. Pretty decent reloading supply selection. Cheaper than sportsman warehouse in Rocklin.
Old 10-03-2018, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17+1 View Post
The gun range in North Sac. Pretty decent reloading supply selection. Cheaper than sportsman warehouse in Rocklin.

This ^^^^^ other than Sportsman's Warehouse. I buy powder and primers from Sportsman's Warehouse since the price on these items are fair for smaller amounts. I do not usually buy bullets from them since their bullet pricing is high.

The only other places to get powder / primers / bullets for better prices are from gun shows (Miwall booth) or /wholesalers / retailers like Powder Valley, Midway, Midsouth, Shooters pro shop, etc.

To save money, the only way to do it is to buy the hazmat items in bulk from places like Powder Valley.

Last edited by FLIGHT762; 10-03-2018 at 8:48 AM..
Old 10-03-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
This ^^^^^ other than Sportsman's Warehouse. I buy powder and primers from Sportsman's Warehouse since the price on these items are fair for smaller amounts. I do not usually buy bullets from them since their bullet pricing is high.

The only other places to get powder / primers / bullets for better prices are from gun shows (Miwall booth) or /wholesalers / retailers like Powder Valley, Midway, Midsouth, Shooters pro shop, etc.

To save money, the only way to do it is to buy the hazmat items in bulk from places like Powder Valley.
I try to support the local businesses if I can.

If my buddy and I want to buy a bunch of powder and primers, we’ll buy from powder valley and split hazmat. Helps take the sting out of hazmat fees.
Old 10-17-2018, 7:58 PM

Another for Sportsman's Warehouse, I think the prices are really fair for a bricks and mortar store trying to do business in California. Bass Pro and my LGS price gouge in comparison, try to avoid them now.

When the supply crunch was going, I was able to get supplies through Powder Valley, just had to buy enough to make hazmat worthwhile.
Old 10-17-2018, 8:27 PM

Sac Valley Shooting Center has decent prices.
Old 10-17-2018, 8:56 PM

Last year at the holidays, Sportsmans had a deal where you buy $100 of gift cards and they gave you $120 . At the same time they had a 20% off sale Alliant powders. I took advantage of it to stock up for the year. No shipping, no hazmat, in and out.
Old 10-17-2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdc View Post
That's a fair price. You have to remember that you're going to pay a $15 Haz-Mat fee on top of the online price.

Plus shipping also. Better to shop around and buy locally, from the classified forum, or get in some of the group buys (though haven't seen too many of those lately).
Old 10-17-2018, 10:14 PM

Miwall goes to local shows powder is in the $22-25 lb range primers $22-24 per 1K.

Only reason I go to shows anymore.
Old 10-18-2018, 6:41 AM

All these alternatives to local stores usually have "catches". Online dealers usually charge shipping which can possibly be offset for not charging tax, as well as hazmat. I don't usually see an online retailer that would be cheaper than $33 total for a single pound of powder and nothing else in the cart.

Gun shows are hit and miss unless you are sure you can get specific powder at a specific price. Then you have to block off the time to go out there, pay admission/parking/tolls, etc. which had better be less than the difference in the price. Otherwise you'd better enjoy browsing through displays of jerky, rag dolls or other country schlock <jk>.

You do save money online if you are willing to buy 8 pounds at a time and/or meet the minimum to qualify for free hazmat or free shipping but that's not available on a regular basis.

Fortunately I rarely have the desire to buy powder by the pound anymore.

As the others say here, you save money by buying in quantity but there are still viable local alternatives, and I don't include BPS as being viable
Old 10-18-2018, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
All these alternatives to local stores usually have "catches". Online dealers usually charge shipping which can possibly be offset for not charging tax, as well as hazmat. I don't usually see an online retailer that would be cheaper than $33 total for a single pound of powder and nothing else in the cart.

Gun shows are hit and miss unless you are sure you can get specific powder at a specific price. Then you have to block off the time to go out there, pay admission/parking/tolls, etc. which had better be less than the difference in the price. Otherwise you'd better enjoy browsing through displays of jerky, rag dolls or other country schlock <jk>.

You do save money online if you are willing to buy 8 pounds at a time and/or meet the minimum to qualify for free hazmat or free shipping but that's not available on a regular basis.

Fortunately I rarely have the desire to buy powder by the pound anymore.

As the others say here, you save money by buying in quantity but there are still viable local alternatives, and I don't include BPS as being viable

Agree with this. ^^^

Make sure you compare all of the additional charges you might incur depending on who/where you buy from.

When I first started, I just needed one pound to get my feet wet, then I would decide whether or not I wanted to continue to use that same powder or not. I found a local dealer on CG and arranged to buy locally. Total was $30, but they were up in Santa Rosa area. No problem, I just combined it with a trip to Napa/Sonoma with the wife on weekend.

After that, I bought a 10 lb box online when they had free shipping and waived the hazmat. I bought primers similarly. The bullets I bought thru a few group buys. Brass was all of my own from range trips over the years preparing for reloading.

Just keep some cash reserved for it and an eye out for good deals and strike when the iron is cheap.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-18-2018, 8:44 AM

If you're not buying 48# of powder or 50K primers online, PM Sargenv on here. Richmond Rod and Gun has a lot of components on hand. Stuff for every kind of reloading you may do. Especially great of you just want a few lbs of one or a couple powders to try or a sleeve of primers. Much better prices than any local store for sure.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 10-19-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkman View Post
If you're not buying 48# of powder or 50K primers online, PM Sargenv on here. Richmond Rod and Gun has a lot of components on hand. Stuff for every kind of reloading you may do. Especially great of you just want a few lbs of one or a couple powders to try or a sleeve of primers. Much better prices than any local store for sure.
United Sportsmen is also good for reloading components.
Old 10-19-2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigsteel View Post
Didn't they change it so you have to be a member to purchase anything? Thought i read something to that effect a while back.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 10-19-2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigsteel View Post
I know they have powders but do they also carry brass and projectiles?

As to the other question, stuff is listed at member and non-member rates.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkman View Post
Didn't they change it so you have to be a member to purchase anything? Thought i read something to that effect a while back.

Al
Just join. Memberships are cheap like 20.00 a year. I save that alone buying shot and primers. Plus we have perks. Free shoots and other good stuff.

Projos and brass, pricey at the stores. Gfos, sportsman warehouse, triple a , to name a few.

Or if your cheap like me? American reloads sells pulled and new. Target price of 89 to 100 per 1500 shipped on sale. Or cast your own? Or shoot powder coated lead.
All depends on what you want. Factory type ammo or better vs just plinking range fodder.
Rocky mountain another good source. Lots of folks here like Berrys.

Pm me if you want.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk