Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh429 View Post

Additionally it seems DMV document with joint registrants listed is not acceptable for joint registration. Of course I'm hoping staffer made a mistake here.
I used the exact same photo of vehicle registration for joint registration on all of my submissions and didn't have any issues.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Has there been any word out of Chuck Michel's office regarding the difficulty registering? This whole thing is too much of a CF to be unintentional.
Old 11-20-2017, 1:40 PM

in addition to making you buy a nice camera capable of taking high resolution photos, they are forcing me to go buy a Nice measuring tape.

got this rejection today, the under 30" box was not checked... they are literally checking because they don't believe me that it is over 30"

this is for my MSAR STG-556(steyr Aug clone)

Quote:
Please submit a clear, top-view photo of your firearm (from stock to barrel) laid on a flat surface with a tape measure above it. Refer to CCR, title 11, section 5471 for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf
here is the new photo:

here was the previous submitted photo:

Last edited by caliguy93; 11-20-2017 at 1:44 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 1:46 PM

^^^What does the "love note" to them say?

Old 11-20-2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
^^^What does the "love note" to them say?

just a "any other use other than for the purpose of AW registration of these photos is not consent and will be considered a violation of my 4th and 5th amendment rights" love note."

a little better protection for this purpose exactly so if they find something they don't like, they can't use it as evidence in court.. or at least provides me an argument in court to exclude it.
Old 11-20-2017, 1:50 PM

How do the rejections come-mail-or otherwise?

Old 11-20-2017, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
How do the rejections come-mail-or otherwise?

email
Old 11-20-2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
in addition to making you buy a nice camera capable of taking high resolution photos, they are forcing me to go buy a Nice measuring tape.

got this rejection today, the under 30" box was not checked... they are literally checking because they don't believe me that it is over 30"

this is for my MSAR STG-556(steyr Aug clone)

here is the new photo:

here was the previous submitted photo:

OMG. I would have just resubmitted and said please send me a CADOJ approved tape measure.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 11-21-2017, 7:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
email
And if you have no computer access you are SOOL? That's another form of ban.
Old 11-21-2017, 1:20 PM

I joint-registered two rifles and received a rejection email for not including proof of my current address in the joint registration photo section. When originally submitting the form I included only proof of my wife's address with a gas bill to show she lives at the address submitted but did not also include proof of my address. If you file without a joint registrant I guess they take your word for it? Also, again, do not use the internet Edge browser that comes with Windows. This was huge headache for me while registering originally. I forgot this and tried to make corrections to this issue using Edge and it screwed everything up. I ended up on the phone with the doj and they helped me get the application back into order and told me to use Firefox browser only for any future CRIS or CFARS online work.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:19 AM

After submitting the address correction I received 2 additional rejection issues on one rifle, a Tavor. First, the model number is to be filled in as TAVOR SAR. I copied right off the DROS, filling in TAVOR. Technically, they are right. The second rejection was for not being able to see the caliber in any of the photos I submitted. The caliber is only on the barrel so they want a close up photo of only that area. Easy fixes but it brings up the question, what if I buy a 9mm conversion kit for the Tavor? Nothing in the regs says I can't change calibers, so is this information arbitrary?

Last edited by Nvidkiller; 11-22-2017 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Correction for clarity.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidkiller View Post
After submitting the address correction I received 2 additional rejection issues on one rifle, a Tavor. First, the model number is to filled in as TAVOR SAR. I copied right off the DROS, filling in TAVOR. Technically, they are right. The second rejection was for not being able to see the caliber in any of the photos I submitted. The caliber is only on the barrel so they want a close up photo of only that area. Easy fixes but it brings up the question, what if I buy a 9mm conversion kit for the Tavor? Nothing in the regs says I can't change calibers, so is this information arbitrary?
As arbitrary as it gets. And what if the caliber is not marked on the gun anywhere? I have a few like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 11-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Another AR:"Based on the photos provided, the caliber of your firearm is 5.56 MM. Please correct your application to reflect 5.56 MM as your caliber."
Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
And if you have no computer access you are SOOL? That's another form of ban.
Good point!
They could say you could use a public computer but then you would have to buy a flash drive. So lets go through requirements that you have to do.
  • Buy a computer
  • Buy a high resolution digital camera
  • Buy a tape measure with large numbers
  • Possibly buy a flash drive in lieu of a computer

Negating the fact these laws already are unconstitutional, How is any of this even legal?

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:43 AM

Well, hopefully that the end of that. It does tell us a little about their process though. Applicant information is evaluated separately from the firearm information itself. I received the first rejection a month ago (home address proof), I just wasn't checking that email. Within 24 hours of submitting the address correction I received the second rejection for the firearm info. For whatever that's worth...
Old 11-22-2017, 12:58 PM

If anyone is wondering, the DOJ accepted my tape measure photo and did not ask for proof of a permenantly attached muzzle device photo. I just received the “we will notify you by mail” email
Old 11-29-2017, 4:14 PM

Got a rejection for my scar asking for a tape measure above it.. sent one in and it got rejected asking me to collapse and fold the stock in its shortest position.. stock is pinned so it doesn’t fold, I resubmitted with that info in the comments

Total of 70 rejection emails to date

Last edited by caliguy93; 11-29-2017 at 4:58 PM..
Old 11-29-2017, 4:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Where in the law does it say you must take a picture with a tape measure??????
Old 11-29-2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Got a rejgrand cricket m for my scar asking for a tape measure above it.. sent one in and it got rejected asking me to collapse and fold the stock in its shortest position.. stock is pinned so it doesn’t fold, I resubmitted with that info in the comments

My SCAR was accepted and approved with simple comment “stock does not fold”
Old 11-29-2017, 8:16 PM

I submitted 3 rifles on Saturday and got an email on each of them today Wednesday. So it took them 5 days to process and notify me but really only 3 days due to the weekend submission.

The AK-47 was approved via email, letter to follow. They sent me this via email: The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail.

The two others I got an email saying the registration was INCOMPLETE.

The TAVOR I got this: Thank you for submitting your application. The left and right side photo shows a partial view of the receiver/frame. Please resubmit a wider shot that displays the entire side of the receiver/frame and includes the grip and magazine housing. Please review your photo(s) and make sure all markings are legible before you resubmit.

So I went to my CFARS account, went into CRIS, clicked My Transaction History, and saw that the AK-47 was listed as IN PROGRESS and the other two rifles as INCOMPLETE. Then clicked on the TAVOR entry it called up the application I sent in earlier and I deleted the two current left/right side recvr photos and uploaded the two new photos with the wider shots. Then clicked agreed again and submitted it.

Once I did that it changed the INCOMPLETE status on the TAVOR to IN PROGRESS - so at least that gave me some feedback it was resubmitted and they'd be taking a look at it again.

The Colt LE6920 I got this: Thank you for submitting your application. Based on the photos provided, the model of your firearm is M4 CARBINE. Please correct your application to reflect M4 CARBINE as your model number.

I know the side of the weapon states M4 CARBINE but the weapon is an LE6920 - paperwork says so, the box it came in says so, the serial number starts with the letters LE denoting it. But I'm not going to argue with them though this is one of those petty things they could have just as easily fixed on their end instead of having me do it.

So I went back to my CFARS account, went into CRIS, clicked My Transaction History, opened up the Colt application and changed the model number to M4 CARBINE and resubmitted the application. Once done I checked My entire Transaction History again and all three rifles are IN PROGRESS. Further confirming those 2 I updated are back in the queue to be looked at again.

Now I hope the next person at the CA DOJ who checks these 2 resubmitted applications looks at what I submitted, approves, and sends me an email saying I'll get an AW Registration letter soon.

My fear is the next person either won't like the photos and I'll have to resubmit again OR the next person says wait a minute that's an LE6920 - thus the serial number LE32XXXX - it's not an M4 CARBINE - you need to resubmit it as an LE6920.....Groundhog Day.

Overall going back into my CFARS account to make the changes was pretty simple.

Last edited by bronco75a; 11-29-2017 at 8:28 PM..
Old 11-29-2017, 8:22 PM

Sounds like trying to register a Knight's SR-30 lower (stamped .300 blackout) with a SR-15 upper (5.56) as "5.56" will be fun.
Old 11-29-2017, 8:33 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I think I'm gonna register one of my 223 lowers with beowulf upper, just to eff with them. See if they freak out when they see it's a fifty.
Old 11-29-2017, 8:45 PM

I thought the same thing, swap around uppers just for the registration, 300BLK on 5.56 and vice versa.
Old 11-29-2017, 8:47 PM

They will simply reject it and state, “based on the photos you have provided, the caliber of your firearm is 5.56 please Correct and resubmit. Thank you”

And u can either change it to 5.56 or resubmit with a comment saying u swapped the barrels. But they might not care and say it must be registered based on what the receiver says, regardless of the actual caliber.
Old 11-29-2017, 9:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco75a View Post
The Colt LE6920 I got this: Thank you for submitting your application. Based on the photos provided, the model of your firearm is M4 CARBINE. Please correct your application to reflect M4 CARBINE as your model number.

I know the side of the weapon states M4 CARBINE but the weapon is an LE6920 - paperwork says so, the box it came in says so, the serial number starts with the letters LE denoting it. But I'm not going to argue with them though this is one of those petty things they could have just as easily fixed on their end instead of having me do it.

So I went back to my CFARS account, went into CRIS, clicked My Transaction History, opened up the Colt application and changed the model number to M4 CARBINE and resubmitted the application. Once done I checked My entire Transaction History again and all three rifles are IN PROGRESS. Further confirming those 2 I updated are back in the queue to be looked at again.

Now I hope the next person at the CA DOJ who checks these 2 resubmitted applications looks at what I submitted, approves, and sends me an email saying I'll get an AW Registration letter soon.

My fear is the next person either won't like the photos and I'll have to resubmit again OR the next person says wait a minute that's an LE6920 - thus the serial number LE32XXXX - it's not an M4 CARBINE - you need to resubmit it as an LE6920.....Groundhog Day.
I'm somewhat surprised they corrected this for you and didn't try to make a claim that you were in possession of an illegal AW. Be careful with that, because the Kasler list bans the LE6920 by name. I have always wondered how DOJ would handle that, since the receiver does not list it as a 6920, but is marketed as such.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 11-29-2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumBum View Post
I'm somewhat surprised they corrected this for you and didn't try to make a claim that you were in possession of an illegal AW. Be careful with that, because the Kasler list bans the LE6920 by name. I have always wondered how DOJ would handle that, since the receiver does not list it as a 6920, but is marketed as such.
Iv always thought it was never a colt le6920 but rather a colt m4 le6920
Old 11-29-2017, 9:57 PM
Banned

These hoops to jump through, they're disgusting.
These pigs, they are truly pigs.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:47 PM

I can't believe our tax dollars are paying for these idiots to bumble around like this with photos of our firearms next to rulers. It's disgusting really. I can't believe some of you people are actually going along with it either, when there are options like converting to featureless available. At some point you have to say enough is enough
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 11-29-2017, 11:09 PM
Banned

There are certainly a lot of options and everyone is born free to explore such options, but at the same time I think people choosing to jump through disgusting hoops are at least generating some data to help everyone else with their future decisions.
Old 11-30-2017, 5:32 AM

Quote:

That's ridiculous that they've made it that difficult to register.

I hope you contacted Michel & Associates with that info.
Old 11-30-2017, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumBum View Post
Thanks for your info it probably explains why the LE6920 model number didn't fly. That's one of the reasons I posted, to let other "LE6920" owners know just to put in M4 CARBINE as the model number so they don't get it kicked back like me.

I also was a little wordy on how I fixed my applications so others who aren't the best at computers could follow my step-by-step to fix theirs.

Last edited by bronco75a; 11-30-2017 at 8:22 AM..
Old 11-30-2017, 9:03 AM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I wonder what the highest number of rejections is. I'm waiting until sometime next year and I think they are going to crap their panties before then. Obviously, there is going to be a big surge before the dead line and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

I just want to F with them as much as possible. Should we have a competition to see who can get the most rejections? This is ridiculous.
Old 11-30-2017, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
I wonder what the highest number of rejections is. I'm waiting until sometime next year and I think they are going to crap their panties before then. Obviously, there is going to be a big surge before the dead line and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

I just want to F with them as much as possible. Should we have a competition to see who can get the most rejections? This is ridiculous.
Given their photo regulations are so poor, yes I'm going to see how long it will take. My first round of photos are from an old iphone, no flash, downsampled to about 150k.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 11-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Given their photo regulations are so poor, yes I'm going to see how long it will take. My first round of photos are from an old iphone, no flash, downsampled to about 150k.
Why downsample them? You're only making it harder on yourself if your goal is to have the registration approved as quickly as possible.

An 8megapixel photo from a standard smartphone will capture an extreme amount of detail when viewed at 100% scale. Even the smallest scratches are visible at that resolution.. This really isn't that hard.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco75a View Post
Thanks for your info it probably explains why the LE6920 model number didn't fly. That's one of the reasons I posted, to let other "LE6920" owners know just to put in M4 CARBINE as the model number so they don't get it kicked back like me.

I also was a little wordy on how I fixed my applications so others who aren't the best at computers could follow my step-by-step to fix theirs.

From what I've surmised, the people reviewing this applications aren't some DOJ firearms experts. I'd wager they're temp contractors or something.

They're expecting everything to jive.. so if the rifle is stamped "m4 carbine" in the pics, they expect to see m4 carbine listed for the model.

Keep it simple for them.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:46 AM

To be fair, I probably won't downsize them.

My goal is not to quickly register. Instead, it's to attempt to register with what I have without spending a dime on equipment to get good photos.

If I can't register because of their review process, then that is on them and I'll pass my details along.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
Why downsample them? You're only making it harder on yourself if your goal is to have the registration approved as quickly as possible.

An 8megapixel photo from a standard smartphone will capture an extreme amount of detail when viewed at 100% scale. Even the smallest scratches are visible at that resolution.. This really isn't that hard.
You totally don't get it.
What if I don't have a "standard smartphone".
What if I don't have a digital camera or means to submit a digital image?

I can't own a friggin' rifle if I don't have a camera?
It's a joke. How about trying to understand *just a little bit* the diversity of people and their lifestyles here in California.
Yup I just double-checked and see you reside in Coastal California...which might explain a few things.

Oh wait...can I take it to the same place that takes my passport photo?
Yeah, that would go over well, walking into CVS or the main post office with an AR lol.

Last edited by FUCA2AFTW; 11-30-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Old 11-30-2017, 1:04 PM

Update on my scar... I resubmitted stating that the firearm was in its shortest possible configuration. They rejected and responded with this:

Quote:
Please specify in the comments how you altered the stock to keep it from folding. Also, provide a photo of this alteration (you can use the Hunting License option to upload the photo).
I then resubmitted stating what they asked and also added the fact that a photo is impossible due to the lack of viewability.

5 minutes late I receiver the confirmation will be notified by mail email
Old 11-30-2017, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUCA2AFTW View Post
You totally don't get it.
What if I don't have a "standard smartphone".
What if I don't have a digital camera or means to submit a digital image?

I can't own a friggin' rifle if I don't have a camera?
It's a joke. How about trying to understand *just a little bit* the diversity of people and their lifestyles here in California.
Yup I just double-checked and see you reside in Coastal California...which might explain a few things.

Oh wait...can I take it to the same place that takes my passport photo?
Yeah, that would go over well, walking into CVS or the main post office with an AR lol.
I understand all that. I also understand that it's 2017.
You need an internet connection to register. You need a credit card to pay. It's not so crazy to own a device capable of taking digital pictures.

They arent even expensive. These 40 dollar cameras would be more than sufficient for this exercise.

https://www.amazon.com/GordVE-GVE001...digital+camera

https://www.amazon.com/Bonna-mega-pi...digital+camera

It's a good idea to have a digital camera "just in case" these days. Might get in a car accident, witness some police misconduct, whatever.. It's a item like a pocket knife, flashlight, etc that can come in handy just when you need it.
Old 11-30-2017, 5:35 PM

I have a problem with the cross-checks stated in the registration paperwork. I was a Florida resident from from 2009 through October 2013, and I registered all my pistols with the state but not my long OLL long guns because it was not required till January 2014. I put bullet buttons on them and never had a problem because they were not listed firearms from previous bans. Now how do I register them now? Same goes with all the other OLL's I purchased prior to leaving since I don't know where the DROS paperwork went.

Last edited by veeklog; 11-30-2017 at 7:05 PM..