Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-15-2016, 11:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

03/16/2015 Applied
03/10/2016 Approval call
03/11/2016 Training
03/15/2016 Picked up permit

Sent from my pocket computer via Tapatalk

Last edited by GovGeek; 03-15-2016 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Changed my mind, picked it up!
Old 03-15-2016, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGeek View Post
I'm so jealous! I got the call last week and did training on the weekend. But I finally got some Microsoft training this week and must take it. :/

Better to get your training that will help put money in your pocket!!

Plus when they type up the permit, it'll be for the day you pick up! So the time won't start until you actually have it in hand.

One of the guys I was talking to was actually approved sometime in January but he couldn't find a class to get training until now.

Imagine how he felt not be able to pick up his permit for 2-3 months??
Old 03-15-2016, 1:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lsmc7 View Post
Better to get your training that will help put money in your pocket!!

Plus when they type up the permit, it'll be for the day you pick up! So the time won't start until you actually have it in hand.

One of the guys I was talking to was actually approved sometime in January but he couldn't find a class to get training until now.

Imagine how he felt not be able to pick up his permit for 2-3 months??
I edited my response. I decided to take a long lunch. It's good advice, and I was able to get training pre-scheduled.

Old 03-25-2016, 7:57 AM

Default Modification Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Has anyone here changed the guns listed on their permit prior to renewal? If so, what was involved in the process and how did it go?
Here's the actual process:
1) Qualify for the weapon/s you want to add to your permit via one of the approved vendors. You will need to show proof of your CCW and pay their fee. No class involved.

2) Get issued a certificate from the CCW instructor of your proficiency.

3) Head to SJ Sheriff's PSD during business hours to fill out the modification application form and pay the fee of $10. M-F 8am to 5pm.

4) Pick up the new CCW Permit after getting a call that it's ready in about 2 weeks.

Good Luck.
Old 03-25-2016, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebot View Post
Here's the actual process:
1) Qualify for the weapon/s you want to add to your permit via one of the approved vendors. You will need to show proof of your CCW and pay their fee. No class involved.

2) Get issued a certificate from the CCW instructor of your proficiency.

3) Head to SJ Sheriff's PSD during business hours to fill out the modification application form and pay the fee of $10. M-F 8am to 5pm.

4) Pick up the new CCW Permit after getting a call that it's ready in about 2 weeks.

Good Luck.
Thank you. I ended up calling the Sheriff's PSD, and this is exactly what they told me. When I asked specifically about training, she said, "You only need to do the shooting part, and then bring in the certificate showing that you qualified with the guns you want to add."

I still don't know, or haven't heard from, anyone who has done this, but this is good enough for me. I ordered a no-lock S&W 642 to replace my SIG P238, so I'll have .45, .40, and .38 spl +P on my permit. When it comes in, I'll go through this substitution process and let people know how it went (if anyone's interested). Thanks again, geebot.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thank you. I ended up calling the Sheriff's PSD, and this is exactly what they told me. When I asked specifically about training, she said, "You only need to do the shooting part, and then bring in the certificate showing that you qualified with the guns you want to add."

I still don't know, or haven't heard from, anyone who has done this, but this is good enough for me. I ordered a no-lock S&W 642 to replace my SIG P238, so I'll have .45, .40, and .38 spl +P on my permit. When it comes in, I'll go through this substitution process and let people know how it went (if anyone's interested). Thanks again, geebot.
Though not your specific issue, I only had two guns listed when I applied. I didn't feel comfortable with my full size on there. But then I later decided to go ahead and do it. The only thing I did is bring the gun with me and qualify during my CCW training.

When I brought in the class certificate to pickup my CCW it had the third gun listed on it (two from my original submission, and the third new one). The clerk simply took the class certificate and typed up my permit with all three guns listed as listed on the class certificate.

I'm curious how your deal turns out since the sheriff's signature is already done.

Old 03-25-2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Though not your specific issue, I only had two guns listed when I applied. I didn't feel comfortable with my full size on there. But then I later decided to go ahead and do it. The only thing I did is bring the gun with me and qualify during my CCW training.

When I brought in the class certificate to pickup my CCW it had the third gun listed on it (two from my original submission, and the third new one). The clerk simply took the class certificate and typed up my permit with all three guns listed as listed on the class certificate.

I'm curious how your deal turns out since the sheriff's signature is already done.

Sheriff's PSD does go by the list of handguns on the CCW Training Certificate and not what was initially listed on the application.

I've had a couple of colleagues that have had a few different instances:

One only had 1 weapon on the application and was reminded by the BI on the initial interview that they area allowed up to 3.

Another had changed 2 of the handguns by the time he took the CCW Training and those were the ones listed on the Permit.
Old 03-25-2016, 5:20 PM

Not to complain I have had my permit for over a year and starting to think of renewing . And I'm trying to decide if I want to change guns I have on my permit . Has anyone asked why we are limited to 3 firearms I know some IA alow more than that . Just thought it would free up time at the sheriff office not having to spend time adding and subtracting firearms from permit. Is it something to bring to the sheriff's attention ?
Old 03-26-2016, 1:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
Not to complain I have had my permit for over a year and starting to think of renewing . And I'm trying to decide if I want to change guns I have on my permit . Has anyone asked why we are limited to 3 firearms I know some IA alow more than that . Just thought it would free up time at the sheriff office not having to spend time adding and subtracting firearms from permit. Is it something to bring to the sheriff's attention ?
Not sure why the limit is there and I'm curious to find out now, but I know someone who carry's all three at all times. It never occurred to me to carry more than one and possibly a few extra mags.

Old 03-26-2016, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Not sure why the limit is there and I'm curious to find out now, but I know someone who carry's all three at all times. It never occurred to me to carry more than one and possibly a few extra mags.

This actually came up as a topic on one of our conversations during the CCW class but nothing was written or at least I couldn't find anything yet.

The theory is for liability purposes. When you apply for San Joaquin CCW, you are required to sign a form indemnifying the Sheriff's Office from acts arising from the use of the weapon while carrying with the permit. We are required to take a course so that we know the basics of what is required of us and the scope of the legality with regards to CCW Permit. We also must qualify with the weapon to make sure that we are accurate to a certain degree with the weapons. There could be a chance for litigation against the IA should there be someone or something that could possibly be injured, killed, or damaged while discharging the weapon while carrying with a permit if the IA couldn't prove that the permit holder went through the rigorous process of checks and trainings.

Here's where our discussion ended up. It was theorized that limiting the number of weapons could at least provide some degree of satisfaction that the permit holder can and will remain proficient with their weapon having just listed 3 that they need to keep up with. Should there be an incident in the future, the IA can defer the burden of proving proficiency back to the permit holder since they only required for them to keep up with those 3 weapons.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:49 PM

I thought it was more of that's how many we have always alowed or that is how many spots that are on the form .
Old 03-26-2016, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I searched through some threads and posts, but I may be lazy and inattentive.
I'm trying to help my friend get a permit. She lives in the city limits of Stockton. Does she need to apply to Stockton PD, or San Joaquin Sheriff? Is one better than the other.
From what I gather, she gets an appointment, then when she gets approved, takes the course, is that correct?
Old 03-26-2016, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
I'm trying to help my friend get a permit. She lives in the city limits of Stockton. Does she need to apply to Stockton PD, or San Joaquin Sheriff? Is one better than the other.
From what I gather, she gets an appointment, then when she gets approved, takes the course, is that correct?
She needs to apply with the San Joaquin County Sheriff's office. Within San Joaquin, (last I read) the Ripon PD is the only agency that awards permits to its residents for sole purpose of self defense without any special circumstances. They also do so in lightning time.

The process through the Sheriff's office is a long one but all she has to state for wanting the permit is self defense. She should expect to wait 11-12 months. She should call and schedule an interview to begin the process. The majority of the wait will be the background check after the interview. Then, if/when she is approved, she can take the 16 hour CCW class which includes qualifying with up to 3 handguns which can be on her CCW. After passing the class, she will take her certificate to the Sheriff's Office and they will type up the permit while she waits. The certificate will include all the gun(s) info that they need to complete the permit which was already signed by Sheriff Moore.

By the way, the permit is actually typed out on a typewriter and then laminated. Pretty old school. Had not heard a typewriter working away in years prior to picking up my permit.

Good luck to her.
Old 03-26-2016, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
She can take the CCW class before she is actually approved. I took mine in June, but wasn't approved until October.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor*Cal View Post
She needs to apply with the San Joaquin County Sheriff's office. Within San Joaquin, (last I read) the Ripon PD is the only agency that awards permits to its residents for sole purpose of self defense without any special circumstances. They also do so in lightning time.

The process through the Sheriff's office is a long one but all she has to state for wanting the permit is self defense. She should expect to wait 11-12 months. She should call and schedule an interview to begin the process. The majority of the wait will be the background check after the interview. Then, if/when she is approved, she can take the 16 hour CCW class which includes qualifying with up to 3 handguns which can be on her CCW. After passing the class, she will take her certificate to the Sheriff's Office and they will type up the permit while she waits. The certificate will include all the gun(s) info that they need to complete the permit which was already signed by Sheriff Moore.

By the way, the permit is actually typed out on a typewriter and then laminated. Pretty old school. Had not heard a typewriter working away in years prior to picking up my permit.

Good luck to her.
All, meaning not not more than three total.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone feel like everyone knows you're carrying? I'm sure the newness will wear off eventually but I feel like everyone is aware. It's... Different. I make sure I'm not printing with my IWB, and my Sneaky Pete is an ugly OWB which I pass off as a tablet holder, though effective. Anyway, I'm careful not to wear any clothing that promotes carrying like a t-shirt I recently saw, "Conceal and carry on." But I guess the newness is still very present. I carry myself normally and don't behave differently except minding my own business more. I almost feel like I need to be a super citizen and walk the straight line more than before. Thoughts?

Old 03-28-2016, 9:29 AM

You do need to be a good citizen. As long as you are, i don't think you should be afraid to be yourself. No one is paying attention to whether or not you have a gun, people are so self centered these days they don't bother looking around for shady people, much less good people and whether or not they might be armed.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Anyone feel like everyone knows you're carrying? I'm sure the newness will wear off eventually but I feel like everyone is aware. It's... Different. I make sure I'm not printing with my IWB, and my Sneaky Pete is an ugly OWB which I pass off as a tablet holder, though effective. Anyway, I'm careful not to wear any clothing that promotes carrying like a t-shirt I recently saw, "Conceal and carry on." But I guess the newness is still very present. I carry myself normally and don't behave differently except minding my own business more. I almost feel like I need to be a super citizen and walk the straight line more than before. Thoughts?

I've only had 2 instances that the tip of my handgun could have been seen and both times I was wearing an Winthrop OWB and the tip stuck out from under my shirt as I was helping lift some furniture into a truck but I knew both of them and also carries but did comment on it later that day and the other didn't.

Since then, I have ordered and highly recommend anyone doing OWB to check out Tagua's Extra Protection Quick Draw Holster. It rides high and I would approximate it to be about 1" higher that the Winthrop one I have. Wore the same shirt and could see the real difference. Bought 1 for each of my handguns on the list.

It's funny how this post came today as I actually decided to test out my concealment yesterday during the Church and Parties for Easter since it will be packed and I was with a lot of people and windy out. Nothing said or seen but mainly I was wearing IWB at the 4'clock.

What I did notice however is how many times I check my self to make sure I'm not printing, to make sure I'm not folding my arms on my chest so that I'm pulling my shirt tighter, and scanning around to see who could be printing.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I've only had 2 instances that the tip of my handgun could have been seen and both times I was wearing an Winthrop OWB and the tip stuck out from under my shirt as I was helping lift some furniture into a truck but I knew both of them and also carries but did comment on it later that day and the other didn't.

Since then, I have ordered and highly recommend anyone doing OWB to check out Tagua's Extra Protection Quick Draw Holster. It rides high and I would approximate it to be about 1" higher that the Winthrop one I have. Wore the same shirt and could see the real difference. Bought 1 for each of my handguns on the list.

It's funny how this post came today as I actually decided to test out my concealment yesterday during the Church and Parties for Easter since it will be packed and I was with a lot of people and windy out. Nothing said or seen but mainly I was wearing IWB at the 4'clock.

What I did notice however is how many times I check my self to make sure I'm not printing, to make sure I'm not folding my arms on my chest so that I'm pulling my shirt tighter, and scanning around to see who could be printing.
Thanks for that. I do the same thing, checking my shirt constantly. I figure that might actually draw more attention eventually.

Old 03-28-2016, 9:00 PM

I am out of Tracy and coming up on renewal. I heard Tracy PD is taking apps. Could be BS..Has anyone heard anything. I was about to call the sheriffs office tomorrow to setup my renewal appointment but was just wondering about Tracy PD. I am hoping I dont have to wait 1yr to renew. lol
I was reading the horror stories. Crazy wait times now.
Old 03-28-2016, 9:52 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I am up for renewal pretty soon myself. I have been meaning to get the process started.

For those of you that are new, the newness will wear off and it will become part of you. After a while, you hardly realize the weapon is there and realize that no one else is paying attention. People are oblivious. I talk to my classes about situational awareness. I start the talk half way through a period by leaving the room and having someone else give them instructions to describe what I am wearing on paper. After watching me talk to them about something for half an hour, most of them can not do it. That is the way most people are.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 03-28-2016, 10:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919A4 View Post
I am out of Tracy and coming up on renewal. I heard Tracy PD is taking apps. Could be BS..Has anyone heard anything. I was about to call the sheriffs office tomorrow to setup my renewal appointment but was just wondering about Tracy PD. I am hoping I dont have to wait 1yr to renew. lol
I was reading the horror stories. Crazy wait times now.
I was told to start the renewal 3 months prior to the expiration at the San Joaquin Sheriff's office. I haven't heard anything about TPD.

Old 03-29-2016, 6:06 AM
In Memoriam

Hey guys, I'm in Mountain House and started my renewal 1 month in advance. I had my interview and my renewal permit was ready to pickup in 3 weeks. Picked it up last week as a matter of fact.

The pickup time is pretty inconvenient, Tue/Wed 8-3 and it was tough for me to get out of work, but it just so happened I went home at 11 sick as a dog last Wed with the most agonizing body aches and sweats. I was heading to 580 via 84 and realized, "Oh man!, it's Wed I can get my permit!" I powered on thru to the SO and Sat in the lobby for 30 mins while other people did paper work. I must've looked like a tweaker or something. I had a slight sweat and was rocking back and forth from the body pain. I finally got mine typed up and laminated and I headed home and stayed in bed for 2 days.

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg
Old 03-29-2016, 2:38 PM

Mine was up for renewal at the end of April. I turned my renewal in November and finally got the approval call in late March.

**SSE GUNS**
I had 2 on my original permit without a problem. When I renewed I changed out one of the SSE GUNS with another SSE. One SSE gun was drosed as multi caliber and one was drosed as 25acp. They were ok with the multi but said I had to get the 25acp changed to what I qualified with before they will put it on the permit.

Also when you renew wait to pick up the permit until just before yours expires because the new one is dated from the day you pick it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Last edited by 209Sanger; 03-29-2016 at 2:55 PM..
Old 03-29-2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zartan View Post
Hey guys, I'm in Mountain House and started my renewal 1 month in advance. I had my interview and my renewal permit was ready to pickup in 3 weeks. Picked it up last week as a matter of fact.

The pickup time is pretty inconvenient, Tue/Wed 8-3 and it was tough for me to get out of work, but it just so happened I went home at 11 sick as a dog last Wed with the most agonizing body aches and sweats. I was heading to 580 via 84 and realized, "Oh man!, it's Wed I can get my permit!" I powered on thru to the SO and Sat in the lobby for 30 mins while other people did paper work. I must've looked like a tweaker or something. I had a slight sweat and was rocking back and forth from the body pain. I finally got mine typed up and laminated and I headed home and stayed in bed for 2 days.

This is great information, mine is due in September, I called in February and they told me to call back in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
I am up for renewal pretty soon myself. I have been meaning to get the process started.

For those of you that are new, the newness will wear off and it will become part of you. After a while, you hardly realize the weapon is there and realize that no one else is paying attention. People are oblivious. I talk to my classes about situational awareness. I start the talk half way through a period by leaving the room and having someone else give them instructions to describe what I am wearing on paper. After watching me talk to them about something for half an hour, most of them can not do it. That is the way most people are.

This is an interesting story with regards to being able to recall and being oblivious.

I have only had one incident just this weekend where a friend in the know bumped the grip with his elbow and asked "really?", I replied "yeah, plus I have to travel through X", and response was "good poi
nt". I have had people give me a hug and bump it, given people rides on the motorcycle who are out of the know and noone else notices. Even people who know generally don't remember or think you have it.
Of course I wear an IWB Foxx or AlienGear.
Old 03-29-2016, 9:38 PM

Default CCW Modification

So turned in my CCW Modification to take one of the weapons off and switch to another. Pretty simple process as I had initially posted.

You walk in and wait to see the front desk person at PSD and let him or her know that you're there to apply for modification. They hand you form BOF 4502 to fill out. You can actually download this form online so that you can review the info you will need but the one's online are 2011 version and the one they have at the Sheriff's Office is the 2009 version.

You will need your updated CCW Training Cert and any other supporting docs you need to update/modify your permit. Fee is $10 and you'll be told to expect a call in about 2 weeks after it is approved (funny how they point to the 2nd floor when they say this).

Just a quick plug as far as qualifying for the new handgun. I used Silver Creek Security Academy located in Tracy based on the approved CCW Training providers list. I was initially weary about contacting them as majority of the information they had online was about Security Trainings.

No calendars and no cost info online but I still went and tried to call on a Thursday afternoon. Glad I did and the call was immediately picked up by Conrad Levoit. Pretty cool guy and I got lucky that he was holding a class on that Friday and Saturday preceding my call and he allowed me to qualify that Saturday afternoon.
Old 03-29-2016, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

Geebot, what shooting range does Silver Creek Security Academy use? And can you share their price for qualifying a new firearm? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So turned in my CCW Modification to take one of the weapons off and switch to another. Pretty simple process as I had initially posted.

You walk in and wait to see the front desk person at PSD and let him or her know that you're there to apply for modification. They hand you form BOF 4502 to fill out. You can actually download this form online so that you can review the info you will need but the one's online are 2011 version and the one they have at the Sheriff's Office is the 2009 version.

You will need your updated CCW Training Cert and any other supporting docs you need to update/modify your permit. Fee is $10 and you'll be told to expect a call in about 2 weeks after it is approved (funny how they point to the 2nd floor when they say this).

Just a quick plug as far as qualifying for the new handgun. I used Silver Creek Security Academy located in Tracy based on the approved CCW Training providers list. I was initially weary about contacting them as majority of the information they had online was about Security Trainings.

No calendars and no cost info online but I still went and tried to call on a Thursday afternoon. Glad I did and the call was immediately picked up by Conrad Levoit. Pretty cool guy and I got lucky that he was holding a class on that Friday and Saturday preceding my call and he allowed me to qualify that Saturday afternoon.
Thanks for posting this. Do you know whether you can change two, or even all three guns listed on your permit at the same time?

Old 03-30-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. Do you know whether you can change two, or even all three guns listed on your permit at the same time?
The form itself only has room for a total of 3 add/delete sections but they will add notes for you if you need more space. I take it that if you wanted to change all three of your weapons, you will just need to stipulate that as "add" for the new weapons and submit your CCW Training Cert which will invalidate all of the previous weapons you had initially listed.
Old 03-30-2016, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The form itself only has room for a total of 3 add/delete sections but they will add notes for you if you need more space. I take it that if you wanted to change all three of your weapons, you will just need to stipulate that as "add" for the new weapons and submit your CCW Training Cert which will invalidate all of the previous weapons you had initially listed.
Okay, thanks.

Old 03-30-2016, 2:00 PM

I have a question for everyone. I was looking to get my CCW but didn't know if it would be better to do it through the City of Lodi or to do it through San Joaquin County Sheriff's? Does anybody know the acceptance percentage for both? Thank you guys for helping me out.
Old 03-30-2016, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Geebot, what shooting range does Silver Creek Security Academy use? And can you share their price for qualifying a new firearm? Thanks.
Not sure how much he charges to do qualifying for modifications but he uses TRAP for range. At least that's where I went when I took his class.

Last edited by 3lsmc7; 03-30-2016 at 2:10 PM..
Old 03-30-2016, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgonzales1991 View Post
I have a question for everyone. I was looking to get my CCW but didn't know if it would be better to do it through the City of Lodi or to do it through San Joaquin County Sheriff's? Does anybody know the acceptance percentage for both? Thank you guys for helping me out.
I looked into it as I live in Lodi.

In addition to all the hoops the county requires, the city wants you to provide a psych evaluation... at your own cost, of course.

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 03-30-2016, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Conrad is a great guy. I'll never figure out how he can shoot so well at a slightly "gangster" style at almost 30 degrees tilted. LOL.

Old 03-30-2016, 4:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I qualified with him at Tracy Rifle Pistol.

Old 03-30-2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Nor*Cal, Silver Creek / Conrad uses TRaP indoor shooting range. When I met with him, I did ask for his prices and if wouldn't mind me sharing it here if anyone asks. Here it is:

Initial: $180 (used to be $165)
Renewal: $100
Modification: $40
Old 03-31-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks geebot.
Old 04-01-2016, 1:27 PM

I just got my approval call.
Initial interview 3/26/15
investigator called 3/8/16
Approval call 4/1/16
Old 04-01-2016, 1:35 PM

^^^ April fool's??

Congrats!! Good to here more people posting that they are getting approved!!
Old 04-09-2016, 6:41 PM

Howdy all, I could use some up to date info on CCW status and procedure for San Joaquin County. Can anyone with recent personal experience with it give me some insight?

I see they are shall issue on the CCW map. I'm trying to collect as much info on it as I can.

What are current good cause statements? I'm guessing it takes a little be more than sitting down and demanding "muh rights!"