Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-07-2017, 6:31 PM

Default Need help understanding this lead product

I came across some of this these wheel weights, I have enough to do some reloading. I was wondering if anyone can give me some information, when I search the part number on the box, this is what I come up with:

https://www.hummersurplusparts.com/p...0-01-188-1349/

Each of these little boxes weighs 6 pounds a piece. I have melted and shot some of the lead, it seems to have great properties. Little to no by product waste in the melt, shinny, melts well into the mold, rather hard stuff. Shot in in 30-06, .357, 45acp, etc. with strong loads and HF powder coat.
No problems what so ever or leding...anyways, I cant seem to find any information on any other reloader forums but thought I would try here. What would you do with it? PM me for any information,,thank you
Old 12-08-2017, 7:12 AM

If I read correctly your paying like $4.50 a pound and losing a little weight to the steel for attachment to rim? sounds a little high. But that's just me.
How about 50 pound lead brick for $150.
Escapees
Elks
Old 12-08-2017, 7:57 AM

Sorry for the confusion, but I didnt purchase the lead in the link. I happen to have the same lead wheel weights in my garage. The lead I have is in the same box and have the same part number , its the same exact wheel weight. Its been in my garage for about 5 years, I dont remember how I acquired the lead, probably because I was interested in reloading then.
Old 12-08-2017, 8:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lead wheel weights are lead wheel weights. Zillions of boolits have been cast with wheel weight lead. Can add some solder (tin content) which helps fill out the mold.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 12-08-2017, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
Lead wheel weights are lead wheel weights. Zillions of boolits have been cast with wheel weight lead. Can add some solder (tin content) which helps fill out the mold.
Correct me if I am wrong but arent there different hardness in wheel wieghts? Is there a way to test the hardness without buying equipment?
Old 12-08-2017, 9:31 AM

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

Shows composition of various common forms of lead.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

224 pages of discussions using mechanical drawing pencils to test your alloy. I bought a set and it seems to work for me. Of course you do have to buy a set of drafting pencils (a few bucks at Walmart)

Testing lead hardness with pencils
Old 12-08-2017, 12:27 PM

When you melt it what temp does it melt at, when you cast a bullet how close is the weight to what the mold is supposed to cast. If its got too much lead to tin the bullet will be heavier than the mold was designed for. If the bullet is lighter it has too much tin or some other metal.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler1952 View Post
If I read correctly your paying like $4.50 a pound and losing a little weight to the steel for attachment to rim? sounds a little high. But that's just me.
Rotometal sells lead for less, and sometimes they have a 10% off coupon which is basically like paying no California tax.

Hardball lead is about $3.20/pound now. Free shipping on orders over $99.

https://www.rotometals.com/hardball-...y-and-92-lead/

https://www.rotometals.com/bullet-casting-alloys/

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 12-16-2017, 6:24 PM

The only thing you have to be careful of with wheel weights is some of the may have zink in them and that will be a problem.
Old 12-16-2017, 7:18 PM

As of Jan 1, 2010 lead wheel weights were banned in Ca. except for the larger sizes used in semi-trucks, I believe. So tire shops, where a lot of people used to get cheap lead, are now using zinc and iron instead of lead.