Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-30-2017, 3:38 PM

Default Time limit on DMV printout for change of address?

Hey All,
I moved a while back and got a DMV printout (H6 form) which has my updated address on it.

I just DROSed a rifle and the Clerk was telling me that the DMV printout had to have been printed within 30 days. I've never heard this before, and would seem silly since that would mean I would be having to go back to the DMV and pay $5 every time I wanted to get gun until I changed my license.

Is the clerk incorrect? He might have been confused with the proof of residency requirement.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2017, 4:06 PM

He is confusing DOJ and ATF requirements. Politely explain it to him. Note also that they specifically allow the document to be from a government website now as well.

"Question 18.b. Supplemental Documentation: Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee/buyer may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee's/buyer's residence address. This supplemental documentation should be recorded in question 18.b., with the issuing authority and type of identification presented. For example, if the transferee/buyer has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver's license (showing his name, date of birth, and photograph) issued by State Y and another government-issued document (such as a tax document) from State X showing his residence address. A valid electronic document from a government website may be used as supplemental documentation provided it contains the transferee's/buyer's name and current residence address."
Old 05-01-2017, 7:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy's Shooting Sports View Post
He is confusing DOJ and ATF requirements. Politely explain it to him. Note also that they specifically allow the document to be from a government website now as well.

"Question 18.b. Supplemental Documentation: Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee/buyer may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee's/buyer's residence address. This supplemental documentation should be recorded in question 18.b., with the issuing authority and type of identification presented. For example, if the transferee/buyer has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver's license (showing his name, date of birth, and photograph) issued by State Y and another government-issued document (such as a tax document) from State X showing his residence address. A valid electronic document from a government website may be used as supplemental documentation provided it contains the transferee's/buyer's name and current residence address."
Thanks for the heads up on website is allowed now.. we've been forcing people to go to DMV, but it looks like a printout from DMV website is good to go now.
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 05-01-2017, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

AFAIK , H6 do not expire.
Old 05-02-2017, 4:28 AM

Thanks all!!
Old 05-02-2017, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We asked our first ATF inspector this very question. She told us that its on us to use good judgment to verify their address. We had a customer using that same document, he first used it within a week of the date on the document and transferred a firearm. He continued to use it for some time, about 8 months unit his new ID came in after his old one expired. That to me is a reasonable timeframe for the document. Now, if it were a first time customer and say the document was dated from 5 years ago I might suggest something else like a tax return or an updated document. ATF told us the following, when the customer chose to move and not get a new ID that reflects their current address that was a decision they made and its on them. It's not difficult to prove address with proper documentation. If the DMV printout is very old my question would be why don't you have something else that proves your address? Why are you still using your old address after all these years? I wouldn't be able to certify the 4473 in good conscience and would ask for some other documentation.

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Old 05-02-2017, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy's Shooting Sports View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
Thanks for the heads up on website is allowed now.. we've been forcing people to go to DMV, but it looks like a printout from DMV website is good to go now.

My question is: Will CA accept the online H6 as a secondary proof for pistols?

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 05-02-2017, 2:07 PM

I just ran into a situation on my last PPT. I had been carrying around the DMV print out to show both my physical, as well as my PO BOX, which is on my CDL. I was told by the person doing the paper work that the DOJ was no longer excepting it as proof of residence. So there I was in a pickle and trying to figure out what to do. Was I going to have to call the whole thing off? Then the light bulb went on and I whipped out my FFL03 which had my physical. I figured if they didn't like that they have big problems, but everything was good to go. And some say an FFL03 isn't worth anything any longer... :-)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
My question is: Will CA accept the online H6 as a secondary proof for pistols?
Probably not because it doesn't have an expiration date on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links