Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-03-2011, 9:06 AM

Default Good learning experience last night

So I took the girlfriend to the range last night after work. I had just put some fancy wood houge grips on my gp100, and was itching to try it out.

We warmed up with some 9mm and then moved on to .38/.357 (she doesn't like the hotter loads, but I usually try to make her shoot a few for practice).

First of all, I was really pleased with the grips. They seem to give the gun a nicer balanced feel as compared to the stock rubber with wood inserts. I'm also quite happy with the Ruger in general, built like a tank and while the double-action pull is a little heavy with some slight grit, it's smooth enough that my girl can put rounds on target with little difficulty. Single-action is fantastic.

So we were winding down for the night - she gets tired before me (and is generally less enthusiastic about shooting, but I'm glad she goes with me) - so I was finishing up.

I was about 3-4 rounds into a cylinder (?) after reloading, when PFFFFFT!! No loud bang or recoil, just what seemed like an unusually large flash. I immediately swing out the cylinder, unload, and check the barrel - sure enough, no light coming through either end. Upon closer inspection, there was a bullet lodged about an inch into the barrel.

I took the opportunity to explain the situation to the gf. She asked why it "made a funny sound." I stressed that if she ever hears a funny sound or doesn't feel a kick after she pulls the trigger, NEVER keep shooting. She asked why not, what would happen if you just shot another bullet into the stuck one? I then made the obligatory grenade comparison (though I'd bet the Ruger just might takeit like a champ)

I tried poking the round out with a cleaning rod when I got home, but had to resort to pounding with a hammer and small punch. It was really wedged in the forcing cone.

This was the first squib I've encountered in about 4-5 years of shooting. (yes, I'm still a bit of a rookie). I'm glad that I was shooting instead of my lady since she would not have known what to do. I'm also glad she was there to learn.

Finally, because I'm sure people will be curious: they were gun show factory reloads - plinking use only
Old 12-03-2011, 9:17 AM

Smart man at least you have the smarts to stop and see what the problem was.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

At least you didn't look down the barrel to see what was wrong . Sounds like you knew what to do.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM

another reason why I don't buy reloads. If the round was double charged, your new grips would be worthless.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 AM

Good catch, checking things out before continuing! Also, good on your for teaching the GF about squibs after she actually got to hear what one really sounds like, rather than the many sound effects we all make when trying to tell someone what it's like! Sounds like a great date night!

Happy shooting!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Glad everything worked out ok.

I try to make squibs a part of my new shooter safety run down.
There's a reason why the feds stopped using the 10mm it went right through the enemy every time, so they moved to the .40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
I was at Calguns before you
Old 12-03-2011, 11:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default I just ask someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
At least you didn't look down the barrel to see what was wrong . Sounds like you knew what to do.
I just ask someone else do it.