Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 12-17-2017, 6:37 PM

Default Most comfortable rifle sling?

Long story short, my current assignment at work requires me to wear a rifle on a sling for several hours a day. Iíve developed some pretty serious pain in my shoulder blade, like a pinched nerve or something over the past 6 months or so. The 1Ē wide 3 point sling supplied by my work isnít cutting it and Iím ready to invest in something better. Does anyone have any ideas or first hand experience with good quality ergonomic slings?
Old 12-17-2017, 7:07 PM

For what type of rifle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 7:38 PM

I have a VTAC padded sling with slide glide, itís worlds better than any sling Iíve used before. Of course the last time I carried all day was in the Corps with a USGI web sling, so ymmv.
Old 01-01-2018, 3:48 PM

I have a fairly good amount of experience with a variety of different slings including the V-TAC mentioned above. That is a good sling, however, I prefer the Vickers padded sling from Blue Force Gear and the Ferro Concepts Slingster. Both those offer just as much comfort as the V-TAC but are a little less complicated and don't twist as easily. They both have a quick-slide adjuster like the V-TAC as well.

One thing I should mention with the Ferro Concepts Slingster is that the exposed metal slide buckle will scratch the hell out of your receiver if mounted the way I mount it. Do I care? No, because my rifles are workhorses but it is something worth noting. See pic:

Old 01-02-2018, 8:56 PM
Illegitimi noncarborundum
CGN Contributor

As someone old enough to have known my share of back and shoulder problems, I absolutely recommend the padded Vickers Combat Application sling from Blue Force Gear. Or just padded VCAS. They make a non-padded VCAS as well. Big difference you want the padded one. In the area where it is is padded it is roughly 3" wide. The QD version is extra, but I like QD mount slings. Totally recommended.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 01-02-2018 at 9:00 PM..
Old 01-02-2018, 10:09 PM

I’m assuming duty AR-15 use.

+1 Viking tactics (Vtac) wide padded sling.

The Vickers and Viking tactics are probably the two most widely used by the professional crowd. Both are top notch. I believe both are 2” wide (not 3”; correct me if I’m wrong) at the padded weight bearing portion. It comes down to personal preference between them, because you’ll pretty much have the same 2” wide, same padding with both. As noted already both come in both padded and non padded versions so purchase the correct one.

If a 2” wide padded sling doesn’t do it then you’d want to search for a 3” wide padded which are out there but not widely used. If you haven’t tried 2” wide padded research those two and choose whichever sounds best to you.

Other ideas:
1) lighten the rifle if you have discretion to do so and can do so without loss of needed functionality (I doubt you’re in this boat, but many people just hang too much crap on their ARs simply because they can).
2) add padding (eg shoulder pads) to the weight bearing portion of the clothing the sling will ride on

Last edited by thorium; 01-02-2018 at 10:20 PM..