Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-26-2021, 10:23 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Default .455 Webley handloads

I finally got the time to load up some Webley ammo after collecting the dies and stuff I needed.

I am using Starline brass (MkII length), CCI LP primers, Missouri Bullet Co 262gr .455 Webley HiTek coated cast lead projectiles, and trying 3.5 to 3.7 grains of Trail Boss to start.

These bullets and brass are relatively new in the Webley world so there is not a lot of info on using them. But I will say it is very nice to be able to get new brass and proper ready-made projectiles for this old warhorse.

I am using a very slight roll crimp in the groove, which works out to about 1.18" COL. I am not sure how much more of the Trailboss will fit with this setup - the case under the projectile is nearly full if not full at 3.7 grains.

Now I need to get out with the chrono and see what sort of power they are making. I am looking to stay as close to 600fps as I can.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-26-2021 at 10:28 AM..
Old 08-26-2021, 10:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice - on my perpetual "looking to buy" list.

I found 265 grain Webley style bullets and rest of supplies at Buffalo Arms - mostly out of stock now. I have a 1919 made S&W HE 2nd model that made it only as far as St Louis, not England. No issues using the shorter case but on the .890" length those flimsy case rims keep getting ripped off, even though I use the recommended shell holder. Which are you using?

I'd say a strong 600 fps is about right.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:13 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

These Starline cases are .763 long. I am using a Lee 3-die kit for the Webley, which uses 45LC parts mostly but I think the bullet seater/crimp is marked 45 and 455. I think the shellholder is also the same as the 45LC, I would have to get out my 45LC die kit to confirm.

I am using them in the Lee handheld press.

What brass are you using and which die is ripping them?

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-26-2021 at 11:17 AM..
Old 08-26-2021, 11:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I reload using Unique and both 265 and 230 gr .455 bullets
Old 08-26-2021, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
These Starline cases are .763 long. I am using a Lee 3-die kit for the Webley, which uses 45LC parts mostly but I think the bullet seater/crimp is marked 45 and 455. I think the shellholder is also the same as the 45LC, I would have to get out my 45LC die kit to confirm.

I am using them in the Lee handheld press.

What brass are you using and which die is ripping them?
Using Starline too. I've tried all the recommended shell holders, no luck. Funny thing is that the MkII cases - no problem. Annoying part is that the rims tear on the downstroke of resizing or case neck expanding which leads to stuck case and aside from the PITA removing, a lot of swearing and projectiles being thrown about.

I have a few hundred MkII cases and under 100 of the 455 Colt longer cases. So not a big problem, not like the gun is a target piece and the shorter jump hurts accuracy. Just darn annoying.
Old 08-26-2021, 5:07 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Using Starline too. I've tried all the recommended shell holders, no luck. Funny thing is that the MkII cases - no problem. Annoying part is that the rims tear on the downstroke of resizing or case neck expanding which leads to stuck case and aside from the PITA removing, a lot of swearing and projectiles being thrown about.

I have a few hundred MkII cases and under 100 of the 455 Colt longer cases. So not a big problem, not like the gun is a target piece and the shorter jump hurts accuracy. Just darn annoying.
Are the longer cases modified 45 Colt - I think the rims have to be thinned out on those and maybe they got too thin? Have you tried any case lube?

I would like to experiment with Mk1 length modified 45LC cases someday, so hopefully you can crack the code so I don't have to learn some new swear words

Old 08-26-2021, 7:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Are the longer cases modified 45 Colt - I think the rims have to be thinned out on those and maybe they got too thin? Have you tried any case lube?

I would like to experiment with Mk1 length modified 45LC cases someday, so hopefully you can crack the code so I don't have to learn some new swear words
Nope. Next time I have to reload some I'm going to cycle though whatever I have for shell holders that feel right.

Sometimes I substitute crying for swearing -
Old 08-27-2021, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I have an Webley very similar. Will trade it for a 1960s or early 70's S&W N Frame four inch.
Old 08-27-2021, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I am looking to stay as close to 600fps as I can.
Just curious. Was that the standard velocity for that military cartridge? Seems a little on the slow side.
Old 08-27-2021, 9:27 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojaveman View Post
Just curious. Was that the standard velocity for that military cartridge? Seems a little on the slow side.
600 to 650fps. I think WW2 service loads (the 1939 Mk VI round) were spec'd at 625fps +/- 25fps

https://www.historynet.com/webley-sc...-of-choice.htm

Quote:
Using a.455-caliber round with a relatively slow muzzle velocity of 620 feet per second, the Webley was not, nor was it meant to be, a long-range firearm. But if an enemy charge came too close, requiring an officer to draw his pistol, it had devastating man-stopping power. In 1913 the army adopted the Mk V, which introduced smokeless cordite ammunition and featured a wider, case-hardened cylinder to withstand the more potent round—just in time for World War I.
This guy chrono'd a round from 1942 at 560fps
https://general-cartridge.com/2020/0...allistics-gel/

The modern Fiocchi ammo runs the 262gr at 650fps per their claims, but I think several reviewers say it is slower on their chrono at 550fps from a 6" barrel
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produ...ound-nose-ammo

Grafs loads and sells some Webley ammo with this same bullet and case, one reviewer reported 606fps on their chrono
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...eviews-heading

Buffalo Arms has a load that runs a 230gr at 650fps. You can get away with more speed from the lighter projectiles.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/455-webl...mo455auto.html

I'm trying to take it easy on the old gal with these hefty 262gr projectiles, but I may run her up to 625fps if there is any accuracy to be gained by doing it. That will be as far as I want to go with mine though.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-28-2021 at 8:28 AM..
Old 08-28-2021, 8:38 AM

I use 2.2 of Unique in old Fiocchi cases and get nice results to about 7 yds with speed about 570 fps
Old 08-31-2021, 6:29 AM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

thank you for posting this. I haven't gotten around to shooting my webley fosbery yet, but your post is inspiration to work up some light loads just to try it out. I'll probably start very low and ramp up so that it is just enough to cycle the mechanism.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
thank you for posting this. I haven't gotten around to shooting my webley fosbery yet, but your post is inspiration to work up some light loads just to try it out. I'll probably start very low and ramp up so that it is just enough to cycle the mechanism.
Be careful that the load isn't so light that the bullet fails to make it out the barrel, only to have another fired behind it.

I've loaded 4 gr of Unique and gotten good results but not endorsing said load.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:38 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
Be careful that the load isn't so light that the bullet fails to make it out the barrel, only to have another fired behind it.
That is something I will also be looking for as I test the lightest loads - I will probably load one round at a time and check the bore (or the target if I hit it ) after every shot

Old 08-31-2021, 5:04 PM

That’s how I ended up with a snub nose someone stacked a bunch in the tube and split it