Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 11-05-2018, 9:22 AM

Default Do you open carry a fixed blade?

I get that is legal to open carry a fixed blade in most of California. But as a practical matter, does it work out? Do people freak?
Old 11-05-2018, 4:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If I'm out in the field, ie hunting or camping I'll carry a fixed blade, but around town it's too much of a nuisance, hanging up on chairs and such.
Old 11-05-2018, 4:07 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Sometimes I do, never had an issue with people freaking out. The hard part is keeping it open carry while I keep a pistol concealed. It is pretty lame that I can carry a loaded pistol hidden by my shirt, but not a 4" fixed blade knife

Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-05-2018 at 4:29 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 7:20 AM

Anywhere I'm hunting & the nearby communities, sure. No worries as I'm just another hunter in the woods. But returning to the city, I'll take it off. I have nothing against carrying weapons. I just don't like attracting attention and a fixed blade on my hip looks out of place in the city.

I have a small, 2" fixed blade that I wouldn't think twice about carrying openly if I had a better sheath for it. It's about as menacing as a box cutter.
But, as it is, it mostly stays in my pack until I need it. I thought about getting a little morakniv eldris as a replacement for that little skinning knife as it has a more secure sheath.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:40 PM

When I'm out riding the motorcycle I have my blade at my side. When I'm back around town I always have my flip knife clipped to my jean pocket.
Old 11-18-2018, 5:38 PM

Since my OP I have occasionally carried a 3 inch blade in a leather sheath in town. Happy to say I havn't seen a second glance.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:13 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

if I was in Wyoming or Montana I would use a fixed blade. Here in communist California, you'll probably get the police called on you.
Old 11-28-2018, 4:02 PM
CGN Contributor

A folder is more practical for EDC, imo.

I had a customer who carried a fixed blade concealed. I saw the sheath sticking out from under his shirt. I wondered if he ever got made carrying so I asked him about it one day. Keep in mind, this guy works in San Francisco. SFPD officers made contact with him once (I'm assuming it was only once.) They had no problem with it because he wasn't a bad guy. He never got in trouble over it. I was quote surprised.
Old 12-01-2018, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

I live way up North in Humboldt but I regularly carry a cataraugus 225q on my hip. In many years only time someone ever said something was a dad at a soccer practice told me it was inappropriate
Old 12-20-2018, 10:01 AM

The main problem with carrying a fixed blade on the belt of any size is that it is a constant nuisance when sitting or getting in and out of a vehicle.

A large folder is much more convenient, even of carried in a belt sheath because it rides higher.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:13 AM

I do when it's handy, but I've yet to figure out a good way to carry a long knife and drive etc. so I generally just keep it inside my backpack. I guess I could attach it to my pack on the outside too.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
I do when it's handy, but I've yet to figure out a good way to carry a long knife and drive etc. so I generally just keep it inside my backpack. I guess I could attach it to my pack on the outside too.
If the sheath allows it switch it so the knife sits parallel to your waste band and carry it near the small of your back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

I do on days when I intend to consume alcohol, say a friends/family gathering. Sometimes we end up in public and I do notice lefties eyeball it for a second, but no one comments.

It's legal and I don't care what anyone thinks. There was one incident at a gas station when a panhandler stopped his advance after seeing it, so I guess that's a bonus.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 12-20-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
If the sheath allows it switch it so the knife sits parallel to your waste band and carry it near the small of your back.
My EDC is a Glock field knife. I could carry it that way but I'm fairly sure it would be prone to gouge my seat.