Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2018, 3:49 PM
BCGlocker BCGlocker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Is Karamabit Folder legal in California

I am visiting Southern Cal in a few weeks, just wondering if my EDC Fox 599 Karamabit Folder legal in LA, OC and San Bernardino County?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2018, 3:57 PM
theLBC's Avatar
theLBC theLBC is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 735
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

hmm, is it on the roster of safe knives?

unless it is automatic, i don't see any disqualifying features.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2018, 4:00 PM
BCGlocker BCGlocker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
hmm, is it on the roster of safe knives?

unless it is automatic, i don't see any disqualifying features.

Is there a list of safe knives?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2018, 4:01 PM
theLBC's Avatar
theLBC theLBC is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 735
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGlocker View Post
Is there a list of safe knives?
no, just kidding because we have a safe handgun roster.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2018, 4:04 PM
theLBC's Avatar
theLBC theLBC is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 735
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=815906
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2018, 4:05 PM
BCGlocker BCGlocker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
no, just kidding because we have a safe handgun roster.
I am aware of the safe gun list. Haha. I escaped Cal after nearly 50 years. I move to Texas 4 years ago largely because of its friendly gun laws.

Karambit has a hook-shaped 2.5" blade. It is a defensive knife but looks mean.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-23-2018, 7:57 PM
m850168 m850168 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 855
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

CA knife laws are not bad. Your karambit should be fine. Note that LA may have a prohibition on open carry of knives with a 3+ inch blade, so it’s possible a visible clip on a folding knife could prompt a request from an officer to inspect the knife - I’ve never heard of this happening. However, totally concealed carry of 3+ inch blades is OK, so you may wish to carry the knife IWB while in CA.

There are restrictions on balisongs, automatic knives, gravity knives (including knives that can be opened with “a flick of the wrist”, folding knives without a “bias towards closure” i.e. the extra resistance when first opening the knife, and concealed fixed blades, among others - it doesn’t sound like your knife fits into any of those categories though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-24-2018, 3:38 AM
BCGlocker BCGlocker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m850168 View Post
CA knife laws are not bad. Your karambit should be fine. Note that LA may have a prohibition on open carry of knives with a 3+ inch blade, so it’s possible a visible clip on a folding knife could prompt a request from an officer to inspect the knife - I’ve never heard of this happening. However, totally concealed carry of 3+ inch blades is OK, so you may wish to carry the knife IWB while in CA.

There are restrictions on balisongs, automatic knives, gravity knives (including knives that can be opened with “a flick of the wrist”, folding knives without a “bias towards closure” i.e. the extra resistance when first opening the knife, and concealed fixed blades, among others - it doesn’t sound like your knife fits into any of those categories though.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2018, 10:29 PM
ENTHUSIAST's Avatar
ENTHUSIAST ENTHUSIAST is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,725
iTrader: 114 / 100%
Default

Karambits are legal in CA you are fine.
__________________
Quote:
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2018, 5:30 PM
JustaBlokeAnywhere JustaBlokeAnywhere is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 752
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

And autos are legal to buy and own....just not carry. Unless the blade is under 2 inches.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-02-2018, 6:26 PM
iambic's Avatar
iambic iambic is offline
To be or not to be
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Yolo County, Northern California
Posts: 275
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Be careful carrying on school grounds K-12 or University of California grounds. No locking folders are allowed. Otherwise you're good to go.
Have a good trip!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:26 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.