Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-02-2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenemae View Post
He'll pick the woman so that once the dems obstruct, he can play their game and label them misogynists.
She would be a better replacement for Ginsburg.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Amy Coney Barrett has no track record regarding gun rights FYI. She is also openly hostile to Roe vs Wade which means at least 1 republican senator would rebel if she is nominated.
Putting Roe v. Wade aside I also do not want to take a chance on a blank slate as far as the 2A goes, even if their overall philosophy likely means they're pro 2A.
Hardiman and Kavanaugh have written opinions ("street cred"). Im not aware if any of the others on the extended list have any.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Dug around and found Raymond Kethledge signed onto a strong pro-2A concurrence in the Tyler v. Hillsboro en banc opinion.
Old 07-03-2018, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
Dug around and found Raymond Kethledge signed onto a strong pro-2A concurrence in the Tyler v. Hillsboro en banc opinion.
v Hillsdale, I think
Old 07-03-2018, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
Putting Roe v. Wade aside I also do not want to take a chance on a blank slate as far as the 2A goes, even if their overall philosophy likely means they're pro 2A.
Hardiman and Kavanaugh have written opinions ("street cred"). Im not aware if any of the others on the extended list have any.
I mention Roe vs Wade only because it means Barrett likely cannot be confirmed if she is nominated.

They need Susan Collin's vote and she will not vote for Barrett.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 07-03-2018, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I mention Roe vs Wade only because it means Barrett likely cannot be confirmed if she is nominated.

She just doesn't have much under her belt right now. Don't want to take a chance and end up with another Souter, Kennedy, or O'Connor who could serve 40 years.
I'll take someone with a known (good) record who serves only 20-30 years.
Old 07-03-2018, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't think it's that cut-and-dried. Collins said she wouldn't vote for any candidate who showed "hostility" towards Roe.

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen any quotes from Barett which suggest she is "hostile" towards Roe.

I'm betting if she's nominated, she'll be asked, "Are you hostile towards Roe?"

And Barett will do her best Sotomayor and say, "Nope"

And Collins will vote for her to be confirmed, then go home and tell her base, "She promised she would support Roe"

Having said all that, I'm not high on Barett, and I hope a different candidate is chosen, but we'll see next week, I suppose.
Old 07-03-2018, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
I don't think it's that cut-and-dried. Collins said she wouldn't vote for any candidate who showed "hostility" towards Roe.

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen any quotes from Barett which suggest she is "hostile" towards Roe.

I'm betting if she's nominated, she'll be asked, "Are you hostile towards Roe?"

And Barett will do her best Sotomayor and say, "Nope"

And Collins will vote for her to be confirmed, then go home and tell her base, "She promised she would support Roe"

Having said all that, I'm not high on Barett, and I hope a different candidate is chosen, but we'll see next week, I suppose.
Yea these nomination hearings usually don't produce anything of value except the Bob and Weave.
Old 07-04-2018, 8:40 AM

Judge Kavanaugh has a strong 2A track record with his dissent in Heller II:
Quote:
In my judgment, both D.C.’s ban on semi-automatic rifles and its gun registration requirement are unconstitutional under Heller.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:59 PM

Judge Raymond Kethledge and the Second Amendment
Quote:
Likewise, in moderating a Federalist Society panel on the Second Amendment, Kethledge suggested — as Justice Thomas has recently — “that the lower courts have not been faithfully applying Heller, as to methodology and also as to sort of the rigor of their scrutiny.” And in response to the misconception that the Second Amendment applies only to muskets and bayonets, he explained that, today, the Second Amendment protects modern weaponry just like “the First Amendment protects the Internet.”

In his personal life, Judge Kethledge exemplifies the kind of robust and responsible gun ownership that the Heller Court recognized to be at the core of the Second Amendment since the founding era. Kethledge has hunted in northern Michigan every year for over two decades, usually in the Huron-Manistee National Forest. And when his son, Ray, Jr., came of age, the two Rays started hunting together, just like generations of Americans before them. The same goes for self-defense: In addition to many years owning rifles and shotguns, Judge Kethledge has for over a decade carried a .40 Glock 27 for personal protection (with an active conceal-carry permit).
Old 07-09-2018, 7:10 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

We've just got Justice Kennedy 2.0
Old 07-09-2018, 9:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
Crazy talk.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post

You don’t want that. Kennedy was a swinger. You can’t predict how he’ll vote. Kavanaugh is pro-2A.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS