Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-07-2012, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Why Are Women Better Shots?

After visiting the indoor range nearest me, I packed up my stuff and noticed a young lady shooting her Glock pistol at a target about 50 feet away from the line. Darn good shooting too, which was unusual . Out of the tens of people who've been at the lanes when i've gone shooting, only three that ive seen in person put their target at the same range I do with equal or better results.

One of those three was that girl, who was shooting so well I was half-tempted to buy another 30 minutes at the line to see how I stacked up in comparison.

I noticed also that my buddy's wife out-shoots her husband, even though both are novices when it comes to firearms.

My theory on this is that women pick arms which are practical for them to use, and then they decide on caliber, appearance, and other factors. By comparison most guys I know pick guns because someone else-a competitor, friend, TV or movie character,print magazine or family member said it was the bees knees. Afterward they'll shoot a 12" pattern at 10 feet and claim the sights are off, the trigger needs work, and other macho BS instead of realizing they bought the wrong gun for their needs. But that's my theory-what's yours , ladies and gents of calguns?

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 09-07-2012, 9:06 PM

I find that a woman with no experience with a handgun has no bad habits,no macho complex...ect. They are then easier to teach good shooting skills. First time my wife shot a handgun was my G19 back in the early 90's. She did so well that she wanted me to buy her a gun. Being married only a couple of years I thought it best to buy her a base ball bat. A bat I could duck,a 9mm round is harder to avoid. I used to still party on the weekends,out grown that now. She now has her own G26 and is very good with it. My 2 cents.
Old 09-07-2012, 9:07 PM

I think that because shooting is looked at as more of a "man's thing", we get complaisant with remembering the fundamental's. Where as woman do naturally have to work harder at everything, because they know that they don't get the same treatment. Therefore, I think that when a woman is into doing something that typically only men do, they tend to strive to be that much better than just getting out there to shoot. Also, I have noticed in my few years that when someone has knowlege of something, but don't do it enough to become complaisant about it, they tend to get out there and kcik butt. These were just a couple of thing's I immediately thought about when I saw your post. Cool topic though. I guess we'll have to wait for a woman to kind of fill us in on what the real deal is.
Old 09-07-2012, 9:08 PM

I also agree with blademan21.
Old 09-07-2012, 9:16 PM

They aren't, we just say that so they will go with us. ;-)

Obviously I'm kidding, but someone once told be it has to do with fine motor control and that women tend to be better at it then men. I tend to think it has to do with the bad habits as mentioned above. My wife is a fantastic shot with no real training.
Old 09-07-2012, 9:28 PM

I took my wife to a range about 2 yrs ago and it was her first time to shoot. After a few shots getting used to the recoil(sig 229R), she just dialed in and outshot us. She's a natural and has better mechanics because of her archery background during college. She's been with me to the range only one more time after that but her shooting accuracy amazes me. I can just imagine her potential if she shoots as frequent as i do.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 PM

Funny, all the people who have answered so far are men, telling us about how women shoot. Yet again.

But the OP asked a valid and sincere question, that women might know the answer to. Several gentlemen made key remarks. The lack of macho thinking in women is one probable reason. We do not have ideas that because we are women we naturally know how to use firearms, genetically. Another reason is the tendency of women to select smaller handguns in both size and calibre is another. Women don't generally go to the range to compete, they go to improve.

I was told by a friend, former Special Forces, former LEO, that women have a physical advantage that has to to with the way our elbows are hinged. Apparently we can't lock our elbows as much as men and that helps to shoot accurately. (Also is the probable cause of "throwing like a girl", but that's another story)

I'm not sure that women are naturally more accurate, physically. It may be more about the type of women that go to the range in the first place. I think when a woman sets out to use firearms, she's a determined type of person. It's not just for laughs with her. She probably got lessons from someone other than her buddies. And she's willing to practice, practice, practice.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 09-08-2012 at 2:57 PM..
Old 09-08-2012, 8:25 AM

Actually, I think it comes down to this:

When we buy an unassembled piece of furniture. I read the directions, DH just starts building it and when something doesn't fit or work, he'll finally go back and read the instructions.

A better example, when I had the Makarov on it's 10 day hold, I went and watched field stripping videos and reading everything I could find. DH picked it up and spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to remove the slide before going to look.

When I'm faced with something new, I approach it as something that I need to be patient and learn. When he's faced with something new his approach is, he knows how to do XXXX, so this can't be that hard.
Old 09-08-2012, 9:01 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

eye hand coordination?
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 09-08-2012, 10:26 AM

It is proven that women have better hand-eye coordination. Did anyone watch the series Stars and Stripes - A woman won the competition. She even freaked out the Delta force guys with her shooting and she was new to shooting. They just taught her how to use each gun they used in that particular mission and ka-boom, she couldn't be stopped.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 AM

women pay more attention
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Yes, we do pay more attention but what I have noticed with some men, it is almost a race to see how many bullets they can shoot in under a minute. I shoot about three shots and analyze the accuracy of those shots. If it isn't right, I adjust and do it again. Bullets are expensive, serious practice is priceless.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Only very small % of women do ANY shooting, while guys are much more

expected to do a little.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

D'Oh!

Last edited by guns4life; 09-08-2012 at 2:22 PM..
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
expected to do a little.
You have any statistics to back up that claim? You have no idea how many women are out there shooting. I have been shooting for over 20 years and have seen many, many women over the years shooting. The older woman on my street is over 70 and has been shooting since a little girl. We are out there, you just don't see us.

Last edited by vision1214; 09-08-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4life View Post
Never seen that happen first hand...the women I've seen shoot have always needed lots and lots of instruction, the first being to stop leaning back.
So how good were you when you shot your first gun? BS on the "lots and lots" of instruction. It took me one day to learn - the rest is just practice, practice and more practice - and that isn't because we don't get it, it is because we want to continue to get better and be better than the person that might pull a gun on us someday.

Men - legends in their own minds
Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Never seen that happen first hand...the women I've seen shoot have always needed lots and lots of instruction, the first being to stop leaning back.
Yes, you said it all. Women do want lots of instruction, because they know they don't know it all.

And I'm laughing with MrsRazz who always cracks me up, about reading manuals. I had the manual for my first handgun, two weeks before I had the gun. Practically memorized it. But then, I can construct Ikea furniture correctly on the first try too. Using glue.

But seriously, good instruction is key, practice is key. But I find practice with a good coach is the best of all. A good coach is someone who can tell me what you're doing right and wrong, and not make me feel like an idiot. Right now, until I can find a good range coach, I have good shooters analyzing my targets and they can tell what I could do better.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 AM

When my husband and I started shooting, I was a bit more accurate. Now that we've been doing this a few years (classes, IDPA, etc), he is much faster than me and more accurate with speed. I do know that when I dry press, the gun doesn't move. Maybe guys tend to muscle it more, and anticipate the shot.

I agree with all the points made by the ladies above - practice, concentration, studying, and willingness to take instruction play a big part.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM

My wife has gone beyond me. I have shown her all I know. She has moved on. She is willing to learn like a sponge and grow by pushing into new skills.
I've become a mere repairman for all her toys. I'm Soooo proud of her !

On a off day for her I can out shoot her... Sometimes.

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
California Rifle & Pistol Association Member

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey
كافر
Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Not sure about the "lots and lots of instruction," but yes women tend to lean back due to our center of gravity which is different than the male COG. It's just natural for us to lean back, but it can be overcome if pointed out.

Admittedly, sometimes I cringe at the women at the ranges I've been at. Some of us are much quicker studies than others I guess.
Old 09-08-2012, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision1214 View Post
So how good were you when you shot your first gun? BS on the "lots and lots" of instruction. It took me one day to learn - the rest is just practice, practice and more practice - and that isn't because we don't get it, it is because we want to continue to get better and be better than the person that might pull a gun on us someday.

Men - legends in their own minds
This!!! ^^^^^
Old 09-08-2012, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

D'Oh...I just noticed this was in the ladies forum.

New post button strikes again!

I withdraw my statement, women are naturally good at guns.

(slowly backs out of room)

Old 09-08-2012, 2:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Yes, you said it all. Women do want lots of instruction, because they know they don't know it all.

And I'm laughing with MrsRazz who always cracks me up, about reading manuals. I had the manual for my first handgun, two weeks before I had the gun. Practically memorized it. But then, I can construct Ikea furniture correctly on the first try too. Using glue.

But seriously, good instruction is key, practice is key. But I find practice with a good coach is the best of all. A good coach is someone who can tell me what you're doing right and wrong, and not make me feel like an idiot. Right now, until I can find a good range coach, I have good shooters analyzing my targets and they can tell what I could do better.
Speaking of instruction, what is the criterion for how women pick guns?

Does the exterior appearance of the gun matter in terms of looks, style? Does a certain guns' use by the Armed Forces or police agency play into its consideration by a female shooter? Or is the only factor that counts its fit and feel to the exclusion of all others?

I believe this is an important difference to note, since it can reveal how much the "macho quotient" may play into mens' choices in firearms.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 09-08-2012, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Admittedly some of us guys simply can't accept we don't know the best way just because we're guys. Unfortunately some think we know it because we use in it (fill in the name of a video game). Someone above pointed out that ladies likely pick a gun/caliber that works for them where sometimes guys will buy into the hype and cool factor.

But as much as some men create and fall into our stereotypes, some women still come off with the 'I'm a defenseless little girl and I'm afraid of guns' mindset. The saddest thing is when the 'macho know it all' type takes the 'I'm a defenseless little girl' type to the range and all they do is ***** at each other all day.

But, I'm pretty sure both men and women can become proficient in the same amount of time if they have coaches or instructors that are actually skilled at teaching both men and women.
Old 09-08-2012, 2:56 PM

when i was looking for a pistol, Silver, i'd had some experience with small caliber revolvers and semi-autos, neither of which i'd picked out myself and were gifts.

i decided i wanted something that had power, was easy to clean and operate. for me that left out SA's. i wanted something that fit my hand as well. i will admit i find the lines of a smith and wesson revolver more elegant than ruger......shallow of me, i know. however, the ruger didn't fit my hand as well and wasn't as comfortable to shoot. i went with a smith and wesson model 60....

what i know now as a more experienced shooter is that i could change out the grips and have been ok with the ruger...i know this 'cause one of my guy buddies bought the ruger sp101 and did that very thing despite have larger hands and being a more experienced shooter. i've shot it a couple of times and it was fine in my hand. but i didn't know that then and went with what was fitting my hand at the time. also, i shot both at a range so it was based on that experience. admittedly, i still like the lines of a smith better but recognize that ruger makes a mighty fine gun.

but that was only the start of many revolvers [all smiths] ....and then i hankered for a smaller SA and did my research. ended up with a .45acp colt mark iv officers.

in both instances, fit and function were most important and only after that was it "looks".

i do admit that i now pay much more attention to firearms used in movies....and somewhat in shooter video games. but it doesn't influence my buying decisions.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 09-08-2012, 3:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Default May I post?

In my family, the women are better shooters than the men. Not because of more classes; I have taken many hours and $ more classes than my wife, sister-in-law, and nieces. They still are more accurate and consistent than me.

I think it is paying attention in the class, and paying attention to that front sight as the trigger is pressed. I get excited and forget one or the other.
Old 09-08-2012, 3:21 PM

I'm with Zombie on this. Except I like SA's, not revolvers.

I asked some knowledgeable friends, what was the three most reliable brands SAs out there? I asked what size ammunition do I need to reliably stop an intruder in my house? I asked, will that caliber go thru walls and hit my neighbors? (Answer was, probably yes)

I went to my friendly local gun seller one Wednesday afternoon and handled ALL of the recommended brand/calibre combinations and picked two that my hands liked. Then I asked the seller what he thought. He looked at my hands, arms and selected firearms. He said, " For a first gun, if you were my wife, I'd say: That one".

The winning combination was $ 100 more than I wanted to spend, but I wrote the check anyway, because it really felt right.

And, happily ever after, until the next one. I probably could have done all this blindfolded, except for driving to the gun store. Looks never entered into it. It was all about reliability, stopping power and feel.

When I buy shoes, I buy looks and comfort. Buying a gun was more like buying a car, for me. I like 'em sexy, but that's not the first consideration.

(Yeah, american made 8 cyl convertible, if you must know).
Old 09-08-2012, 3:35 PM

Generally, women have steadier hands.
Old 09-08-2012, 3:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto View Post
How did you know that I still live with my Mommy?

You guys are sharp! Ok ok, I'll let you get back on topic so you can figure out how
Most little girls can outshoot you with your overpriced 1911 and such.
Carry on!
Drop the attitude. When you're back, consider an adjustment.

Turby
Old 09-08-2012, 3:58 PM

Here is my take based on my experience with my wife in several endeavors. Patience- she does not plan to win an Olympic medal next week by starting yesterday.Perseverance- when she decides to take on a new skill she continually works on it year after year. The examples that come to mind are quilting which she has done for 30 years, bicycle riding which has been her passion for 10, and cooking- in the beginning I was the experimental cook wanting to try different recipes and she has long since taken that over. Finally, attention to detail, focus, and perfectionism. OK- she is OCD to my ADD!

These also translate into her profession as a software engineer. She is now a lead engineer but when she was a developer her code was generally accurate, error free, and robust. I know because she actually worked for me for a couple of years on a project because the small company needed people at a remote location.

Of course not all women are like my wife.
Old 09-08-2012, 4:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
After visiting the indoor range nearest me, I packed up my stuff and noticed a young lady shooting her Glock pistol at a target about 50 feet away from the line. Darn good shooting too, which was unusual .
Women, in general, have not learned decades of bad habits. You bring a new women shooter to the line, give her the fundamentals of pistol, stance, grip, sight picture, and trigger control, and you get the expected results. It doesn't have so much to do with the gun, as long the gun has a manageable trigger and reasonable sights. Some of the top shooters in USPSA are women.

http://www.womenofuspsa.com/

Old 09-08-2012, 4:16 PM

poway and high: you make good points.

bandook, i wish i had steady hands! actually, that brings up a point: age at which the shooter starts. those that are older may have physical issues besides shaking hands and poor eyesight. i'm wondering if the older female shooters mentioned that have been shooting 50 years or more are so practiced that it doesn't matter....or they've found ways to "compensate". basics remain the same but the body ages, has aches and pains, and simply fails to respond as ordered!
Quote:
Old 09-08-2012, 4:21 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

When I first started to mentor for the WOT program I noticed that the women who were new shooters tended to shoot much better than their male counterparts out of the gate, even though the amount of instruction was the same. Over time, it tends to even out.

I found this rather curious and decided to look into it further. IMHO, there are several factors that account for this.

1. Women tend to have better communication skills. They listen and take instruction very well. I call it the Chatty Kathy effect. They tend to communicate more often than men and as such they are better at it.

2. They have good fine motor skills and excellent hand/eye coordination.

3. They tend to approach purchasing a gun much like selecting a tool. That is to say they are more concerned with how effective they will be with it rather than its coolness factor.

4. Women have no problem approaching other women for advice when they are uncertain of something. This gives them an edge when trying to figure out what works. They tend to have a better peer support network and are more willing to use it.

Now, this isn't true in all cases and I'm just spouting some generalities that I've noticed. It is purely my opinion.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 09-08-2012, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

You all are correct but there's a primary physical difference that I think is rather overlooked.

Relativly speaking the average female's center of gravity is lower than a males. That improves balance.
This is relative so height is not a factor. Also everyone is different and has different builds.

I've taught a LOT of my friends to shoot over the years. One thing I've definitly seen when teaching friends to shoot is that women do tend to be better shots right off the bat.

I think a LOT of things play into this. Patience, the ego, etc. I've even noticed differences between people of the same gender with different builds having different abiltities with no practice.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 09-08-2012, 5:06 PM

I agree what others have said about women having excellant eye/hand coordination. Comes from applying make-up while driving..JK. Before I got married I had a GF that wanted to shoot my 1911. Never fired a handgun in her life. Took her to the range and within 20 mins. she was making a ragged hole of the 10x at 7 yrds. Women do listen better than some men. Wish my wife listened better .
Old 09-08-2012, 5:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
I agree what others have said about women having excellant eye/hand coordination. Comes from applying make-up while driving..JK. Before I got married I had a GF that wanted to shoot my 1911. Never fired a handgun in her life. Took her to the range and within 20 mins. she was making a ragged hole of the 10x at 7 yrds. Women do listen better than some men. Wish my wife listened better .

I taught my boyfriend to shoot skeet/trap not long ago and he did very well.

His posture was terrible but once he addressed that, he was doing extremely well.

That said, one thing I would like to point out. Is that of all the men I've taught to shoot, they haven't seemed to be far behind the women on average for shots on target. If not too close to call. I've also taught way more men than women too so my sample set isn't too big.

But at the same time, they were being taught by a girl and didn't have to prove their 'manliness' and they all listened extremely well to suggestions and tips. I really think that's the key.
I think that helped a lot.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 09-08-2012, 6:28 PM

Common misconception. They just seem better when shooting around guys because they are focusing on the target and we are busy focusing on them.

Yep, gets me every time too.
Old 09-08-2012, 8:32 PM

It's kinda interesting that my wife has small hands and shoots a S&W model 66-3 .357 magnum and I've got large hands and shoot a little S&W model 442 j frame snubbie. She doesn't practice alot but she's still a very good shot. In fact she likes to show off. She's can outshoot me with her gun but I can outshoot her with mine. She complains that the grips on my gun are too small.
Old 09-08-2012, 8:41 PM

Not sure how one can say women or men are better shooters, I'm just guessing it's like everything else the more you practice the better you become at it.
Old 09-08-2012, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I haven't read the thread, but here's my take:

Women are inherently better multi-taskers. That said, shooting guns required paying attention to many variables at once to ensure consistency.