Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1401  
Old 08-08-2017, 5:29 PM
Carsgunsandchics's Avatar
Carsgunsandchics Carsgunsandchics is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Da North Highlands
Posts: 3,484
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Cpt. Dan I'm finally trying to keep my eyes open when shooting.
Ferrum. I'm bringing just two pistols. My Smith 460V and 686.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
I am more of a sucker than a blower...
Reply With Quote
  #1402  
Old 08-08-2017, 5:42 PM
LuckyGuy's Avatar
LuckyGuy LuckyGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Carmichael, CA.
Posts: 121
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Post CLOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_nor_cal View Post
Anyone in Roseville?
I'm in Carmichael.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Patriot Member
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #1403  
Old 09-13-2017, 9:24 AM
XxWoodsHunterxX's Avatar
XxWoodsHunterxX XxWoodsHunterxX is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: calaveras county
Posts: 1,581
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

We still on for tonight's meeting


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1404  
Old 09-13-2017, 9:26 AM
Ferrum's Avatar
Ferrum Ferrum is offline
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Amador County
Posts: 4,381
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Blog Entries: 4
Default

I'll be here... then again, I'm always here.

ETA: I do need to be on the road home at 8:30 tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #1405  
Old 09-13-2017, 4:09 PM
CptDan CptDan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carmichael,CA
Posts: 329
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

I'll bring an etching demo tonight
Reply With Quote
  #1406  
Old 09-13-2017, 5:58 PM
Moparformances's Avatar
Moparformances Moparformances is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Diamond Springs Ca
Posts: 160
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

damn.. lost track of the date...

see ya next month
Reply With Quote
  #1407  
Old 10-03-2017, 8:41 AM
XxWoodsHunterxX's Avatar
XxWoodsHunterxX XxWoodsHunterxX is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: calaveras county
Posts: 1,581
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Ok who was it a few months back that wanted H4350, One of my reps called and said she shipped me 3 8# jugs and i have no clue who wanted it or if you still want it they are $210ea.
Reply With Quote
  #1408  
Old 10-21-2017, 6:28 PM
Hadies157 Hadies157 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 30
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Hello everyone! I am new to reloading and would love to attend some club meeting to learn more. How often do you guys meet? I just picked up a Hornady LNL AP and found myself just starring at it trying to figure out what to do so if anyone is in the Elk Grove area and could give me a few minutes to get me going I would appreciate it. Shoot me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1409  
Old 10-23-2017, 8:01 AM
bwstewar bwstewar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Elverta
Posts: 9
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Hornady AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadies157 View Post
Hello everyone! I am new to reloading and would love to attend some club meeting to learn more. How often do you guys meet? I just picked up a Hornady LNL AP and found myself just starring at it trying to figure out what to do so if anyone is in the Elk Grove area and could give me a few minutes to get me going I would appreciate it. Shoot me a PM.
I am also new to reloading and have a Hornady LnL AP and use it mostly for pistol ammo (9mm). What calibers will you reload? Do you also have a single stage? Do you have the dies yet? Have you assembled the AP?

Next meeting is 11/8 (I think). PM ferrum for meeting details.
Reply With Quote
  #1410  
Old 10-23-2017, 8:09 AM
Hadies157 Hadies157 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 30
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwstewar View Post
I am also new to reloading and have a Hornady LnL AP and use it mostly for pistol ammo (9mm). What calibers will you reload? Do you also have a single stage? Do you have the dies yet? Have you assembled the AP?



Next meeting is 11/8 (I think). PM ferrum for meeting details.


I have dies and shell plates for .40 and .308 currently. I plan to reload 9mm, .223, and small batch .308 and 30-06. I'm mainly interested in making large quantities of training rounds. I only have the AP no single. I may get one down the road for smaller quantity rifle loads. I pretty much mounted it to my bench and took everything apart (I bought it used) I'll be putting it together and start setting it up. I'm waiting for a few more equipment items to come in before I get reloading.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1411  
Old 10-23-2017, 6:02 PM
Moparformances's Avatar
Moparformances Moparformances is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Diamond Springs Ca
Posts: 160
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadies157 View Post
I have dies and shell plates for .40 and .308 currently. I plan to reload 9mm, .223, and small batch .308 and 30-06. I'm mainly interested in making large quantities of training rounds. I only have the AP no single. I may get one down the road for smaller quantity rifle loads. I pretty much mounted it to my bench and took everything apart (I bought it used) I'll be putting it together and start setting it up. I'm waiting for a few more equipment items to come in before I get reloading.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
start with pistol rounds.. watch the vids on you tube that were made by Hornady...

watch the a few other vids as well made by others but use common sense when taking advice from others.. best to stick with the Hornady ones..

take your time and work each die one at a time.. move forward only after that die is set exactly how you like it..

I have an AP as well if ya get in a bind post hear myself or one of the others can give you a hand..
Reply With Quote
  #1412  
Old 10-23-2017, 8:12 PM
Hadies157 Hadies157 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 30
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
start with pistol rounds.. watch the vids on you tube that were made by Hornady...

watch the a few other vids as well made by others but use common sense when taking advice from others.. best to stick with the Hornady ones..

take your time and work each die one at a time.. move forward only after that die is set exactly how you like it..

I have an AP as well if ya get in a bind post hear myself or one of the others can give you a hand..
Thanks for the reply. Ya ive been planning on reloading for a long time and have watched more videos than I can count and read a lot of articles and books. I plan on running it almost like I only have one station so it's not too much going on. Is there a reason for starting with pistol? Is it to reduce the number of steps or technicality of the reload? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #1413  
Old 10-23-2017, 8:28 PM
Moparformances's Avatar
Moparformances Moparformances is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Diamond Springs Ca
Posts: 160
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadies157 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Ya ive been planning on reloading for a long time and have watched more videos than I can count and read a lot of articles and books. I plan on running it almost like I only have one station so it's not too much going on. Is there a reason for starting with pistol? Is it to reduce the number of steps or technicality of the reload? Thanks
the straight wall of a pistol case is easier to set up in every aspect..

there just simpler..
Reply With Quote
  #1414  
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 PM
Hadies157 Hadies157 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 30
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

That makes sense. Will do


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1415  
Old 10-24-2017, 11:09 AM
bwstewar bwstewar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Elverta
Posts: 9
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default 9mm for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadies157 View Post
That makes sense. Will do


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do 2 runs on the AP to produce my 9mm rounds. (1) resize, decap and prime the cleaned cases, these can be stored for a short time. And (2) powder charge/bell, and seat bullet. Then I do QC checking with chamber gauge and COAL with a caliper.
Reply With Quote
  #1416  
Old 10-24-2017, 4:44 PM
Hadies157 Hadies157 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 30
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwstewar View Post
I do 2 runs on the AP to produce my 9mm rounds. (1) resize, decap and prime the cleaned cases, these can be stored for a short time. And (2) powder charge/bell, and seat bullet. Then I do QC checking with chamber gauge and COAL with a caliper.


That sounds easy enough lol jk I like that process it breaks it up and keeps it basic.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1417  
Old 10-24-2017, 6:10 PM
plinkr plinkr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 523
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwstewar View Post
I do 2 runs on the AP to produce my 9mm rounds. (1) resize, decap and prime the cleaned cases, these can be stored for a short time. And (2) powder charge/bell, and seat bullet. Then I do QC checking with chamber gauge and COAL with a caliper.
Still consider nyself a noob after 2 1/2 years reloading, so maybe someone here can give some guidance. I use the Lee Factory Crimp Dies for 9mm, 38 and 357, and never had an issue with chambering. Does the FCD resize loaded rounds back to spec?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1418  
Old 10-24-2017, 6:54 PM
Moparformances's Avatar
Moparformances Moparformances is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Diamond Springs Ca
Posts: 160
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwstewar View Post
I do 2 runs on the AP to produce my 9mm rounds. (1) resize, decap and prime the cleaned cases, these can be stored for a short time. And (2) powder charge/bell, and seat bullet. Then I do QC checking with chamber gauge and COAL with a caliper.
do you really throw powder before you bell the round??

or do you bell the round then throw powder??
Reply With Quote
  #1419  
Old 10-24-2017, 8:45 PM
NewbieLoader's Avatar
NewbieLoader NewbieLoader is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 342
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Anyone from the club going to the Zombie shoot in two weeks? Check in here.
__________________
I have done so much with so little for so long that now I can do almost anything with nothing at all.
Reply With Quote
  #1420  
Old 10-24-2017, 8:48 PM
Carsgunsandchics's Avatar
Carsgunsandchics Carsgunsandchics is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Da North Highlands
Posts: 3,484
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieLoader View Post
Anyone from the club going to the Zombie shoot in two weeks? Check in here.
Ummmm uhhh
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
I am more of a sucker than a blower...
Reply With Quote
  #1421  
Old 10-24-2017, 8:55 PM
NewbieLoader's Avatar
NewbieLoader NewbieLoader is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 342
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsgunsandchics View Post
Ummmm uhhh
LOL I know your going.
__________________
I have done so much with so little for so long that now I can do almost anything with nothing at all.
Reply With Quote
  #1422  
Old 10-24-2017, 9:51 PM
9mmepiphany's Avatar
9mmepiphany 9mmepiphany is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: River City
Posts: 7,691
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkr View Post
I use the Lee Factory Crimp Dies for 9mm, 38 and 357, and never had an issue with chambering. Does the FCD resize loaded rounds back to spec?
"back to spec" is a relative term.

Your Sizing die is designed to resize your case to SAAMI minimum specs, while the Lee FCD will resize the case to SAAMI maximum specs.

For some folks the fact that it also sizes the bullet becomes an issue. I use a FCD for 9mm as I usually load jacketed or heavy plated hard cast bullets. For my .38Spl loading coated cast bullets (.358") I use a Redding Profile Crimp die so as to not affect how the bullet interfaces with the rifling
__________________
...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale
Reply With Quote
  #1423  
Old 10-24-2017, 11:22 PM
plinkr plinkr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 523
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
"back to spec" is a relative term.

Your Sizing die is designed to resize your case to SAAMI minimum specs, while the Lee FCD will resize the case to SAAMI maximum specs.

For some folks the fact that it also sizes the bullet becomes an issue. I use a FCD for 9mm as I usually load jacketed or heavy plated hard cast bullets. For my .38Spl loading coated cast bullets (.358") I use a Redding Profile Crimp die so as to not affect how the bullet interfaces with the rifling
Thanks, that makes sense. Guess I will check bullet diameters after running through the fcd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1424  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:03 PM
9mmepiphany's Avatar
9mmepiphany 9mmepiphany is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: River City
Posts: 7,691
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Also be aware that the crimp settle will "drift."

The FCD is great as the amount of crimp is easily set with the adjustment knob, but the only thing restricting it's movement is the O-ring. I use a marker on the knob and the body to check for movement during a run
__________________
...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale
Reply With Quote
  #1425  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:48 PM
plinkr plinkr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 523
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
Also be aware that the crimp settle will "drift."

The FCD is great as the amount of crimp is easily set with the adjustment knob, but the only thing restricting it's movement is the O-ring. I use a marker on the knob and the body to check for movement during a run
Great tip, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1426  
Old 10-26-2017, 9:50 PM
JDay's Avatar
JDay JDay is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: El Dorado County
Posts: 19,378
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkr View Post
Does the FCD resize loaded rounds back to spec?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
It sizes the case once before the crimp is applied and again after. Keeps the case from getting a bulge.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
__________________
Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Reply With Quote
  #1427  
Old 10-30-2017, 9:50 AM
bwstewar bwstewar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Elverta
Posts: 9
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Hornady may differ from Dillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
do you really throw powder before you bell the round??

or do you bell the round then throw powder??
Normally, I use the Hornady powder through expander (PTX) die for 9mm. So it bells the case for the bullet and runs the powder charge through the die at the same time. I also use the Lee factory crimp die to assure the case is tight around the bullet. My understanding was the crimp die would remove any belling.

Last edited by bwstewar; 10-30-2017 at 9:51 AM.. Reason: Added info
Reply With Quote
  #1428  
Old 10-30-2017, 6:08 PM
Moparformances's Avatar
Moparformances Moparformances is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Diamond Springs Ca
Posts: 160
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwstewar View Post
Normally, I use the Hornady powder through expander (PTX) die for 9mm. So it bells the case for the bullet and runs the powder charge through the die at the same time. I also use the Lee factory crimp die to assure the case is tight around the bullet. My understanding was the crimp die would remove any belling.
that makes more sense..
Reply With Quote
  #1429  
Old 11-12-2017, 8:05 PM
Phoy94 Phoy94 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sacramento,California.
Posts: 50
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Anyone wants to help me tune my Hornady ammo plant reloader? Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:35 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.