Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-16-2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
I can't tell if I've regressed in age or become transgendered, I don't own a single rifle chambered for any of those!
I mean,you're correct, but you must mean 6.5x55
Old 10-16-2019, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
I mean,you're correct, but you must mean 6.5x55
My preferred pronoun is 7mm-08

It's not that I dislike recoil (I regularly shoot a 12 gauge with 1-1/4 oz loads for ducks), it's that if I can get by with less recoil I'll take it!

I keep trying to think of reasons to buy a .30-06 but most of them come down to "I don't have one yet".

But I agree, anything based on the '06, .308, or x57 case would be just fine. We can lump the x55 in there too, why not?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:33 AM

Any opinions on Howa? Accurate? Generally no better/worse than Savage/Tikka?

I have no bolt rifle and am pondering getting a Howa barreled action next time they go on sale and figuring out the stock later.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

The rifle is one thing...

But I would definitely not buy a rifle chambered in an obsolete caliber such as a 308 or 270.

Not when you can buy a Triple Delux super short 2.x92 Magnum with a Chinese made scope and
double compensated recoil reliever. And On-Sale-Now at a box store near you.

Last edited by hambam105; 10-17-2019 at 1:04 PM..
Old 10-17-2019, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post

But I would definitely not buy a rifle chambered in an obsolete caliber such as a 308 or 270.

Not when you can buy a Triple Delux super short 2.x92 Magnum with a Chinese made scope and
You’ve been over at the High Road. 270 is not obsolete

270 is one of the better calibers for shooting solid copper bullets, well that and 300 Win Mag.

Last edited by HUTCH 7.62; 10-17-2019 at 1:17 PM..
Old 10-17-2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2019, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
Any opinions on Howa? Accurate? Generally no better/worse than Savage/Tikka?

I have no bolt rifle and am pondering getting a Howa barreled action next time they go on sale and figuring out the stock later.
I've owned several Howas and currently own a 24" heavy barrel. All have been subMOA at 100yds after breakin and with good quality ammo. Japanese steel is still some of the finest gun steel in the world. My Tikka is a little nicer with a smoother action but Howa is just as accurate, which is to say, as good as it gets for an out of the box gun.

Tikka T3
Howa 1500
Weatherby Vanguard
Savage Axis, 11, 110
T/C Compass, Venture
Remington 783, 700
Winchester XPR
Ruger American
Mossberg MVP, Patriot
Browning AB3
Bergara B14
Sauer 100
Franchi Momentum
CZ 557
CVA Cascade

Take your pick. Find one on sale or used. Try Sportsman's Warehouse, Turner's, Bass Pro/Cabela's, Big 5.

.243win, 6.5CM, 7mm-08, .308win, .270win, .30-06. Will all do the job. Go with a lighter caliber if you arent used to recoil or step up to .270win and .30-06 if you want something that hits harder.

Personally, if I get another hunting gun it will be a Ruger American Predator 18" "thick barrel" in .308 with the AICS pattern magazine, model #26974.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 10-17-2019 at 2:14 PM..
Old 10-19-2019, 2:28 PM

Wow lotta comments. savage 308 has better steel than any of the other ones mentioned .they have 2 versions cheap one at 400 and the better ones that is the one i have for sale. i could probably do 600 on mine without scope and bipod. fyi never even had bullets in it. cheers