Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-17-2012, 8:24 PM

One of the online stores says to expect July availability.
Old 06-17-2012, 8:24 PM

One of the online stores says to expect July availability.
Old 06-17-2012, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I've always got mine from CDNN when they happen to have weekend shipping deals. Don't think they have had any for a while.

I and a couple other people received out of spec magazines and then shortly after the magazine shortage started. Call it a coincident but I think Marlin found they had an issue and had to fix it...
Old 06-17-2012, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I've always got mine from CDNN when they happen to have weekend shipping deals. Don't think they have had any for a while.

I and a couple other people received out of spec magazines and then shortly after the magazine shortage started. Call it a coincident but I think Marlin found they had an issue and had to fix it...
Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post

Yeah I had one defective from big 5 and returned it. I always thought it was funny reading about all these people dremeling there magwell to make it fit.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Calguns Addict

eeek I would not work on the mag well to get a magazine to work. I might work on the magazine with a jewlers file I can see where its got marks on the rear part. It wont even go into my 795 but it will go into my Girlfriends but its a pain to pull out. That and she says it doesn't feed properly. The other one we got from that batch wont feed either I really need to call Marlin..
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR310 View Post
Yeah I had one defective from big 5 and returned it. I always thought it was funny reading about all these people dremeling there magwell to make it fit.
My mags dont drop free and I have to use one hand to hold mag release and the other to pull mag out, but was told it's because they're new and just need to be broken in... I know that can be the case with mag springs, but never figured how it would work with the mag body itself...
REDACTED
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoost View Post
My mags dont drop free and I have to use one hand to hold mag release and the other to pull mag out, but was told it's because they're new and just need to be broken in... I know that can be the case with mag springs, but never figured how it would work with the mag body itself...
The actual mag body was defective on mine. I compared it to the oem that came with the 795 and on the side of the mag, their is a metal "spine" and mine was actually ever so slightly bent. The only way I noticed it was when i had both sided by side. I even brought my original mag to show the mgr at big 5 and he was surprised.

Edit: added pic

The spine is on the left side and is flush to the mag body.

Last edited by DavidR310; 06-18-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Old 06-18-2012, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes, 795 magazines do not drop free, you do need to tug them out.

The issue with mine was the same as Davids.
The spine plate they wield on are over sized on the 2 that give me issues.
Old 06-18-2012, 6:42 PM

Chaos47, DasBoost, David310, and all 795'ers,

Too bad we can't put our money together and make 1 Mammoth order of magazines and get a decent price break!

I love this Rifle ! It stands out from every other gun in the range. 45's, 9mm, .357 Magnums, . 38s and other .22's.

The sound alone makes people " look " at what's goin down in your lane.

Single Action & 795'in,

R.B.A.

ps. It takes a Range that allows Centerfire Rifle shooting to possibly drown out the distinct crispness of a Marlin 795.

Last edited by The Right to Bear Arms; 06-18-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Old 06-18-2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR310 View Post
The actual mag body was defective on mine. I compared it to the oem that came with the 795 and on the side of the mag, their is a metal "spine" and mine was actually ever so slightly bent. The only way I noticed it was when i had both sided by side. I even brought my original mag to show the mgr at big 5 and he was surprised.

Edit: added pic

The spine is on the left side and is flush to the mag body.
Ok, I see what you mean now; mine are all uniform and fit well.

Quote:
Yes, 795 magazines do not drop free, you do need to tug them out.

The issue with mine was the same as Davids.
The spine plate they wield on are over sized on the 2 that give me issues.
Ok, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right to Bear Arms View Post
Chaos47, DasBoost, David310, and all 795'ers,

Too bad we can't put our money together and make 1 Mammoth order of magazines and get a decent price break!

I love this Rifle ! It stands out from every other gun in the range. 45's, 9mm, .357 Magnums, 38ls and other .22's.

The sound alone makes people " look " at what's goin down in your lane.

Single Action & 795'in,

R.B.A.

ps. It takes a Range that allow Centerfire Rifle shooting to possibly drown out the distinct crispness of a Marlin 795.
Get a few pallets of 795 mags at a great price, have a couple bricks worth of 22 loaded in mags, I see no problem with this. Was thinking of bringing it to the Sea Cadet training I'm helping at but I'd want to shoot it myself and wouldn't let it go. Bringing the K31 instead. I think the youngin's will like that.

And the 795 does have a nice distinctive sound to it, even compared to other 22s. Definitely not a bad thing.
REDACTED
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

I'm placing an order through Brownells/Sinclair Intl, and I figured I'd take a peek and see if they have any mags in. Out of stock at $30.99! I'll wait I guess until they start popping up regularly...
Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
I'm placing an order through Brownells/Sinclair Intl, and I figured I'd take a peek and see if they have any mags in. Out of stock at $30.99! I'll wait I guess until they start popping up regularly...
HOLY CRAP! I paid 17.99 @ Big 5 and 18.99 @ MidwayUSA! Do they at least send the buyer a coupon to The Olive Garden or Red Lobster after the **** them like that?
REDACTED
Old 06-19-2012, 1:34 PM

Quote:
HOLY CRAP! I paid 17.99 @ Big 5 and 18.99 @ MidwayUSA! Do they at least send the buyer a coupon to The Olive Garden or Red Lobster after the **** them like that?
As long as it's hot college girl that sells to me, I guess it's alright.

Haha.

RBA

ps. Anybody have any unique cleaning techniques for the 795? Or is it pretty much run a bore brush through it twice and lube it lightly.
Old 06-19-2012, 1:52 PM

I'm also waiting for mags to drop in price, I'd sure like to stop callusing up my thumb to reload the one I have. I wonder what they're doing for customers who send in defective mags.
Also here's a work in progress pic of my 795, need a proper sling and tech sights.

Last edited by CouchIsland.com; 06-19-2012 at 1:55 PM.. Reason: Fix the broken image.
Old 06-19-2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
As long as it's hot college girl that sells to me, I guess it's alright.

Haha.

RBA

ps. Anybody have any unique cleaning techniques for the 795? Or is it pretty much run a bore brush through it twice and lube it lightly.
Can't see who sells to you online (Hint: 24yr old Bridget is actually 40yr old Brandon )

As for cleaning I use my normal gun cleaner and boresnake and then lube the normal points and a light coat of gun oil on metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchIsland.com View Post
I'm also waiting for mags to drop in price, I'd sure like to stop callusing up my thumb to reload the one I have. I wonder what they're doing for customers who send in defective mags.
Also here's a work in progress pic of my 795, need a proper sling and tech sights.
Looks great, very cool color. I was thinking of using my leftover synthetic stock as a trial for camo patterns.
REDACTED
Old 06-19-2012, 3:05 PM

Couch Island: You can be the Riddler in the Dark Knight Returns. lol.

Das Boost: Yeah, that's a bit left of center for my tastes ! But I don't condemn. haha.
Old 06-19-2012, 3:06 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
As for cleaning I use my normal gun cleaner and boresnake and then lube the normal points and a light coat of gun oil on metal.
Thumb's Up !
Old 06-19-2012, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No kidding! I guess I did it right when I went with a Marlin 60 this last time around, lol. No mags to worry about!
Old 06-19-2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:

Here's the reloading answer, works quite well.

http://www.maglula.com/PistolMagLoad...wbodymags.aspx
Old 06-19-2012, 4:14 PM

I cut down a metal barbecue skewer with a flat cross-section. It has a ring at the top end, easy to press, while the small flat end holds down the mag follower. Easy reloading.
Old 06-19-2012, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Cool paint job CouchIsland.com but what in the world is with that makeshift sling?

You are supposed to put a sling swivle thru the sling stud like this

Then you can use a real sling. If you ever plan on doing Appleseed get 1.25" swivles so you can get a GI sling http://www.cdnninvestments.com/m1greenwebne.html
Old 06-19-2012, 6:52 PM

Im interested in buying a 795, new or used. Does anyone know who has the best price on a 795 now?

I see the prices creeping up, including $199 somewhere online. If the prices were the same as 10/22, and given a continuing mag unavailability, would people still choose 795 over 10/22?

Im new to this thread and spent time reading from Page 1, 2009. Some people said that the "795 is fantastic, just incredible, just amazing, but i guess i'll buy a 10/22." What does this mean? I dont get it.

One of the things that made 795 worth buying was the VALUE. I watched several YT videos and people recently got 795's for as low as $99 and they say thats why they bought, so cheap. Suddenly those days are gone, just months later. Would you still buy at $200 or more?
Old 06-19-2012, 7:01 PM

Im in on a GB for mags, I will take 5-10 depending on price lemmekno

@ChouchIsland, why in the world would you do that to a 795, the founder of Marlin is turning in his grave!
Old 06-19-2012, 8:00 PM

I need to get tech sights and more mags for my 795. I have the baby UpLuLa and works great. No sore thumbs with that.
Old 06-19-2012, 8:22 PM

Big5 has been out of mags for a while too. Big5 is pricey but with the discounts from being on their mailing list helps out the damage as I have a 25% off right now! But can't find a mag to use it on!
Old 06-19-2012, 8:27 PM

Thanks DasBoost and The Right To Bear Arms encourages me to try more. Chaos47 that's not really a sling it's how I hung the rifle to dry between coats. Like I said in the post, sling and tech sights. Gl0ckc0ma you're no fun.
Actually in using it more I find myself getting pretty proficient with the crappy notch sights. I'm gonna paint the dot and see if it helps. I'm shooting federal bulk anyway how much can the tech sights really help.
Old 06-19-2012, 9:00 PM

I am having trouble with my 795. I just cleaned it after 1500 of various bulk packs with lots of malfunctions every 50 rounds or so. I tried to sand the feed ram and bolt. I just took it to the range today after a cleaning. It ran great the first 100 rounds of mini mags. As time progressed around #150 i got my first FTFire. By #250 I was getting tons of Failures to fire,eject, and some stovepipes.

Last edited by sigma6; 06-19-2012 at 10:13 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 9:12 PM
Calguns Addict

By sanding I hope you mean polishing...

What are you using to clean it and how much oil are you putting on it?
Sounds like too much oil and that its gunking up
Old 06-19-2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks DasBoost and The Right To Bear Arms encourages me to try more. Chaos47 that's not really a sling it's how I hung the rifle to dry between coats. Like I said in the post, sling and tech sights. Gl0ckc0ma you're no fun.
Actually in using it more I find myself getting pretty proficient with the crappy notch sights. I'm gonna paint the dot and see if it helps. I'm shooting federal bulk anyway how much can the tech sights really help.
Lower cost alternative to the Tech Sights, while not a full-on aperture setup, is this upgraded Marlin unit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
I am having trouble with my 795. I just cleaned it after 1500 of various bulk packs with lots of malfunctions every 50 rounds or so. I tried to sand to the feed ram and bolt. I just took it to the range today after a cleaning. It ran great the first 100 rounds of mini mags. As time progressed around #150 i got my first FTFire. By #250 I was getting tons of Failures to fire,eject, and some stovepipes.
Pay a little more for CCI MiniMags and polish, not sand. Flitz, Dremel, and polish wheel. Get the whole inside of the receiver, mine had a ton of overspray and was really rough.

Quote:
By sanding I hope you mean polishing...

What are you using to clean it and how much oil are you putting on it?
Sounds like too much oil and that its gunking up
^^This^^ Do not over oil it. I oil it liberally and then wipe off a majority of it. Between the dirty ammo and too much oil, that could be the problem or making it way worse than it is. Good luck and enjoy.
REDACTED
Old 06-19-2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks DasBoost and The Right To Bear Arms encourages me to try more. I'm shooting federal bulk anyway how much can the tech sights really help.
CouchIsland.com, you are set for St. Patrick's Day. Irish all the way. As for the Tech Sights, you can bet there will be world of difference. I'll get mine and share pre and post sight range reports w/ pics.
Old 06-19-2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
If you ever plan on doing Appleseed get 1.25" swivles so you can get a GI sling http://www.cdnninvestments.com/m1greenwebne.html
Chaos47, have you done Appleseed? Corona's ( Appleseed site ) nearby but that bloody toll road gets on my nerves.

If so, I guess it's safe to deduce that there has been discernible " improvement " in your shooting. i.e. Your shooting skill has increased with the 795 and that skill has transferred over to the other platforms that you employ. Yea?

Wouldn't it be nice if every California family sent at least one family member to Appleseed or similar program ?

After all, we all live here together and I feel in very real way, we are all each other's keeper.

R.B.A.

ps. This Rifle shoots well out of the box. Add Tech sights and a few mags and you're good to go with Wally World bulk. The value side of the equation is off the charts.

Last edited by The Right to Bear Arms; 06-19-2012 at 9:37 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Chaos47, have you done Appleseed? Corona's ( Appleseed site ) nearby but that bloody toll road gets on my nerves.

If so, I guess it's safe to deduce that there has been discernible " improvement " in your shooting. i.e. Your shooting skill has increased with the 795 and that skill has transferred over to the other platforms that you employ. Yea?

Wouldn't it be nice if every California family sent at least one family member to Appleseed or similar program ?

After all, we all live here together and I feel in very real way, we are all each other's keeper.

R.B.A.

ps. This Rifle shoots well out of the box. Add Tech sights and a few mags and you're good to go with Wally World bulk. The value side of the equation is off the charts.
Send them to Appleseed? Put Appleseed in the schools!! Also, it's an amazing shooter out of the box and a great value.
REDACTED
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

No sadly haven't made it out to one yet.
I reeeeeaaally need to.
Both my Girlfriends and my 795's are ready for Appleseed with swivels and GI slings.
The scope on mine is a bit obnoxious and probably wont be great for Appleseed.
Hers is running Williams Fire sights and we both like them a lot.

I hope that this year Calguns and Turners will do another huge AS like last year and that we will go.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Keeping it simple and ready for Appleseed.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Pay a little more for CCI MiniMags and polish, not sand. Flitz, Dremel, and polish wheel. Get the whole inside of the receiver, mine had a ton of overspray and was really rough.

^^This^^ Do not over oil it. I oil it liberally and then wipe off a majority of it. Between the dirty ammo and too much oil, that could be the problem or making it way worse than it is. Good luck and enjoy.
I will clean and wipe it down again. I used 800 grit wet sand paper with CLP as my lube, then wiped it down. The inside of my receiver had all this black flaky paint. My bolt has tons of machine marks and gouges also. I have a dremel and some polish compound but shouldn't be somewhat smooth first before trying to 'polish' it?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
Keeping it simple and ready for Appleseed.

You'll only need 2 magazines and you won't be able to use the bipod at Appleseed. But, nice set up.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I will clean and wipe it down again. I used 800 grit wet sand paper with CLP as my lube, then wiped it down. The inside of my receiver had all this black flaky paint. My bolt has tons of machine marks and gouges also. I have a dremel and some polish compound but shouldn't be somewhat smooth first before trying to 'polish' it?
Yes, a bit of wet sanding will be good beforehand before the polishing. I had the paint and machine marks as well. Need to get a dremel and get to polishing as I have the sandpaper and oil.
REDACTED
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post
You'll only need 2 magazines and you won't be able to use the bipod at Appleseed. But, nice set up.
Everyone I've ever heard from after a AS said the more mags the better. Sure during a qual stage you may only need two but if you have two more you are set up for the next stage and don't have to ruin your groove by reloading inbetween.

I'm sure he knows there's no bipods, mine runs a bipod too but that will come off for AS

Quote:
Makes sense, I just wanted to make sure you where not chasing it with 150 grit hah!
I wouldn't worry about the bolt marks sadly current QC doesn't care what the back of the bolt looks like.
I agree get the paint out of the inside (I hear a brillo pad is good for that but never done it)
Run the rifle pretty much dry. All I use is CLP with a tooth brush for cleaning and then it is wiped dry.

You can polish your bolt and feed ramp, personally I use semi-chrome but I hear good stuff about automotive polish.
Just don't go crazy on it.

Goodluck!

Last edited by Chaos47; 06-19-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post
Echo6CharleyDelta: For clarification, can we use scopes for AS? I'm left with the impression that scopes are out in favor of Tech Sights.

Rickey Ray: Nice Set up, indeed.

Das Boost: Exactly, Appleseed in the schools.

I'll see all of you gung ho 795'ers @ AS.

R.B.A.