Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-13-2018, 5:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Goal Zero vs. Generator

What's folks thinking on a Goal Zero vs. having a generator? Obviously the GZ would wouldn't make any noise but would need to be recharged eventually. Does anyone have a GZ? If so, what model and how do you like it?

http://www.goalzero.com/power-packs
Old 01-13-2018, 6:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have the smallish GZ unit.. it charges AA and AAA batts well enough to keep our flashlights and small devices working.. I need to see if it can charge our iPads but I think I have to charge the batts and use that to charge the iPad.

I would like to get a larger GZ unit.. just not sure which one.

A generator is better, but it's loud and needs fuel.. the fuel WILL run out eventually. Having both is the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 01-13-2018, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I like the lithium 1000 but the cost of the unit and solar panel is high. Do these go on sale? Anyone sell them at a cheaper price?
Old 01-13-2018, 7:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
I have the smallish GZ unit.. it charges AA and AAA batts well enough to keep our flashlights and small devices working.. I need to see if it can charge our iPads but I think I have to charge the batts and use that to charge the iPad.

I would like to get a larger GZ unit.. just not sure which one.

A generator is better, but it's loud and needs fuel.. the fuel WILL run out eventually. Having both is the best option.
My thoughts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftone View Post
Buddy has a GZ yeti 1400 with solar panels. He loves it, but also has two back up Honda eu2000i generators.

From what I understand from him, this would be used for the summer outages (common in our area) to power his refrigerator, computers/TV and minor cooking. He often has grand kids over so I can see his need for quiet power.

His gennies are to be used more for longer term usage.

For myself I have the GZ Guide 10 and the Nomad 14 for cell phone and AA battery charging. That seems to work pretty well in the short time I have owned it. (Xmas gift)

I also have a back up Honda eu3000i for heavier usage.
I'd want the GZ for similar use. I can see the need for a gen, however.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Both systems have merit.

Generators provide immediate power with only a nominal lifestyle change...with two Honda 2000s in parallel, one can run pretty much anything in the house except maybe the AC. Of course, once the gas is gone, there will be no power. The system is easy to move if needed.

GZ IMHO will require immediate and significant change in lifestyle to cut power use to a minimum. The beauty of GZ is its solar recharge capabilities, but that takes sun and time, or sun and lots of panels. The easily portable panels take a long time to top the GZ batteries.

For me, the first one to two weeks will be dealt with using generators, and that takes care of most scenarios. I've got that covered.

Next will be longer term coverage, and solar charged batteries are looking to be the way to go as soon as the funds are available.
Old 01-14-2018, 2:25 PM

Goal Zero makes great products but they are way over priced. I did a lot of research on the Yeti battery banks. I was looking at the 400 watt model. I ended up buying a Suaoki 444Wh/120,000mAh unit for just over $200 on sale. It works great. With any of these large battery banks you need some serious solar panels to charge them in a timely fashion. Even using a 110v outlet takes over 8 hours. The one I bought will run a CPAP machine on 12v for at least 4 nights between charges. They will run normal camp lighting for weeks.
Old 01-14-2018, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Since I have no option for running the fridge right now, a bit out of my budget. We are having a hell of a party when the food starts to get warm...

Looks like I can get 5v 1.25w solar panels for <$1.80, and I have a few solar banks that the battery is at about 2.8, or less volts so they are on their way out. Thinking about protected Cell batts, and adding them to the lot of goodies, and adapting.

Cheapest, w/oodles of parts for backup if in bulk?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq6DmOSs39k
Old 01-14-2018, 6:23 PM

Costco has the goal zero 1000 with lithium battery for under $1000. Goal Zero had refurb 1000s for $850 (or a little more) on their website last week. I would buy Renogy or similar brand solar panels to charge. You'll need to get a cable that goes from MC4 to Anderson powerpole.