Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-19-2017, 2:16 PM

Okay...I'm about three weeks out from expiration...should I send my renewal app in?

J/K

I turned it in last March, 5 months out, via email. They confirmed receipt right away. A couple of months later they asked for proof of employment when they were done with my file review, which I sent, and they submitted it for final approval. Got that about 2 months out, and they asked for my training certification. Turned that in, got confirmation, and now waiting for a pickup appointment.

My guess is I'll get it within a very short time to my expiration. I'm hoping that by getting my renewal app in well in advance I won't have a laps from expiration.
Old 07-19-2017, 5:37 PM

They normally issue 1-2 weeks before your old one expires. I heard it's because they want you to get as close to the 24 months as possible from original license. It doesn't matter if you sent it in 5 months early or 3 months it doesn't matter. Just don't let it lapse! Got mine 5 days before the expiration.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibairho View Post
They normally issue 1-2 weeks before your old one expires. I heard it's because they want you to get as close to the 24 months as possible from original license. It doesn't matter if you sent it in 5 months early or 3 months it doesn't matter. Just don't let it lapse! Got mine 5 days before the expiration.
That does not seem to reconcile with my experience, nor the experience of many here. They do not "normally issue 1-2 weeks before your old one expires."

It depends when you submitted your renewal and what the volume of applications and manpower is.

Many have submitted their renewal apps well before the expiration and still watched their licenses expire and stay that way for weeks before getting the renewal.

Also if you are approved AFTER your license has expired, the new effective date will be your pick up date, not the previous expiration.
Old 07-20-2017, 8:18 AM

They seem to be getting caught up somewhat - also what I found about this time two years ago when I first got mine. Seems like there was a huge wave of applicants right after the Peruta decision and then it tapered off, also reflected in the number of renewals two years later.
DOJ and FBI seem to have sped up as well - we're hearing some 2-3 week results on live scan.

I don't see any reason why I won't get a pickup appointment on are before my expiration. My timeline has always been straightforward from initial to renewal.

I'll certainly update here for posterity.
Old 07-21-2017, 9:31 PM

@H-Minus: FYI, although you deleted your post, it doesn't really get deleted.

Anyway, do you have any hobbies that have expensive items that you take outside your home? Do you wear expensive personal items (watches, jewelry)? Do you ever go places where you are alone (secluded beaches, forests, desert, or where unsavory people are present)? Any of these could be spun into a GC statement.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
". . . arguing around here (or much of anywhere, really) accomplishes nothing."
—Old_Bald_Guy
Old 07-22-2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
That does not seem to reconcile with my experience, nor the experience of many here. They do not "normally issue 1-2 weeks before your old one expires."

It depends when you submitted your renewal and what the volume of applications and manpower is.

Many have submitted their renewal apps well before the expiration and still watched their licenses expire and stay that way for weeks before getting the renewal.

Also if you are approved AFTER your license has expired, the new effective date will be your pick up date, not the previous expiration.

That's all a thing of the past. I've been told there's a new supervisor and he has changed the processing of renewals and there should not be any lapses as long as the renewal application is turned in complete with GC supporting documents, Color copy of CDL, and two utility bills, 90 days before your expiration. My friend told me the new system is working! Hopefully, he's right. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-24-2017, 7:21 AM

Good to know the timeline as I'll have to send that in soon. if only they could switch to a 4 yr renewal or something. This 2 yr stuff is nonsense. Is that just at the discretion of the sheriff?
Old 07-24-2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fastrider View Post
Good to know the timeline as I'll have to send that in soon. if only they could switch to a 4 yr renewal or something. This 2 yr stuff is nonsense. Is that just at the discretion of the sheriff?
In SB County at one time they were YEARLY! Be happy with being approved and 2 year renewals.
Old 07-24-2017, 7:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fastrider View Post
Two years is the state Maximum by law.