Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
You're right, we should all just bravely give up like you did.

We'll NEVER stop fighting for our RKBA in CA...

215+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 06-29-2017, 2:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Good article from CRPA echoing some of what's discussed in this thread:
http://crpa.org/supreme-court-refuse...ght-carry-far/
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 06-29-2017, 3:14 PM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

He's right.

Like the idea of OC? Willing to comply or go featureless on your AR build?

HERESY says CalGuns loudly! You're a fool! Turn in your guns you anti-2A POS! You are the problem!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 06-29-2017, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
My worst fear:

* Grace will get denied like Peruta did (very likely outcome).

* Norman is years away from reaching SCOTUS. (likely)
Could you be confusing Norman (an Open Carry case from the FL Supreme Court that is ready to ask cert right now), with Nichols (an Open Carry case that is ready for oral arguments before a 3-judge panel of the 9th Circuit)?

215+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 07-01-2017, 9:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
Birdt filed an OC case? I don't think so .
You are correct, I edited my post - I was thinking about Nichols' cases when responding, not Birdt's.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 AM

I wonder if there will be any "off the record" discussion of Gorsuch's signing on to (SCOTUS's Clarence) Thomas' blistering dissent in the Peruta denial of cert? Or if Gorsuch might ask "So, now that you've disposed of concealed carry, what are you guys going to do about open carry in Nichols and Young?"

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/go...rticle/2628827

Gorsuch to take Kennedy's seat at 9th Circuit Judicial Conference

"We want to thank Justice Gorsuch for so graciously agreeing to participate in our conference, particularly on such short notice," said 9th Circuit Chief Judge Sidney Thomas in a statement. "Justice Kennedy and his wife, Mary, will be missed, and all of us send them our best wishes."
Old 07-17-2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeorge View Post
I wonder if there will be any "off the record" discussion of Gorsuch's signing on to (SCOTUS's Clarence) Thomas' blistering dissent in the Peruta denial of cert? Or if Gorsuch might ask "So, now that you've disposed of concealed carry, what are you guys going to do about open carry in Nichols and Young?"

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/go...rticle/2628827

Gorsuch to take Kennedy's seat at 9th Circuit Judicial Conference

"We want to thank Justice Gorsuch for so graciously agreeing to participate in our conference, particularly on such short notice," said 9th Circuit Chief Judge Sidney Thomas in a statement. "Justice Kennedy and his wife, Mary, will be missed, and all of us send them our best wishes."
I doubt we'll ever know about that conversation, and if we do it'll likely be years from now. SCOTUS doesn't leak, unlike the rest of the government.
Old 07-25-2017, 9:11 AM

Grace vs DC and Wrenn vs DC just came out with a huge win against "good cause" requirements. See the discussion here.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1237372

The decision explicitly calls out Peruta:

Quote:
We do not agree with the Ninth Circuit that a ban on concealed carry can be assessed in isolation from the rest of a jurisdiction’s gun regulations. As we’ve noted, text and history and precedent urge that the Second Amendment requires governments to leave responsible citizens ample means for self-defense at home and outside. So a regulation’s validity may turn partly on whether surrounding laws leave ample options for keeping and carrying.
We'll see what the En Banc process yields ...
Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
Grace vs DC and Wrenn vs DC just came out with a huge win against "good cause" requirements. See the discussion here.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1237372

The decision explicitly calls out Peruta:

We'll see what the En Banc process yields ...
So I guess out here in the land of the 9th Circus what we hope for here is Wrenn reaches the SCOTUS and is upheld?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike90049 View Post
So I guess out here in the land of the 9th Circus what we hope for here is Wrenn reaches the SCOTUS and is upheld?
There's still a ways to go, and various implications.

Option 1: DC requests En Banc, and the decision gets overturned, ala Peruta. Like we did in Peruta, DC get screwed, and nothing changes.

Option 2: En Banc is denied or the decision is upheld En Banc and DC opts not to appeal to SCOTUS, or decision makes it through En Banc and SCOTUS doesn't take the case. All result in the end of "may issue" in DC only. However, it would also create a direct Circuit split between Wrenn and Peruta, which increase the chances of SCOTUS taking this case, or another similar case in the future.

Option 3: SCOTUS takes the case and affirms the ruling. "May Issue" CCW issuance is dead across the country, and California and other "May Issue" jurisdictions scramble to modify their policies to limit CCW in other ways.

Option 4: SCOTUS takes the case and overturns the ruling. "May Issue" CCW is essentially declared constitutional, and everyone within an anti-gun jurisdiction is out of luck with regard to CCW. Worst case scenario, and results in the "open carry" cases that are currently working through the system becoming the last ditch option for "bear."

Other potential outcomes, and nuances within each, but that's the big picture as I see it. While I love the logic and reasoning of this decision, I fear that Wrenn is just Peruta 2.0 - a great circuit court decision that gets killed en banc. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:44 PM

Talking

Quote:
There's still a ways to go, and various implications.

Option 1: DC requests En Banc, and the decision gets overturned, ala Peruta. Like we did in Peruta, DC get screwed, and nothing changes.

Option 2: En Banc is denied or the decision is upheld En Banc and DC opts not to appeal to SCOTUS, or decision makes it through En Banc and SCOTUS doesn't take the case. All result in the end of "may issue" in DC only. However, it would also create a direct Circuit split between Wrenn and Peruta, which increase the chances of SCOTUS taking this case, or another similar case in the future.

Option 3: SCOTUS takes the case and affirms the ruling. "May Issue" CCW issuance is dead across the country, and California and other "May Issue" jurisdictions scramble to modify their policies to limit CCW in other ways.

Option 4: SCOTUS takes the case and overturns the ruling. "May Issue" CCW is essentially declared constitutional, and everyone within an anti-gun jurisdiction is out of luck with regard to CCW. Worst case scenario, and results in the "open carry" cases that are currently working through the system becoming the last ditch option for "bear."

Other potential outcomes, and nuances within each, but that's the big picture as I see it. While I love the logic and reasoning of this decision, I fear that Wrenn is just Peruta 2.0 - a great circuit court decision that gets killed en banc. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
Sadly that's how I feel.

So, two more weeks then!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 PM

except for one small thing...

[very possble DC will keep up its tradition of gamesmanship and may quickly enact new regs that "supposedly" satisfy the injunction but as we've seen before, they won't be legal]

In the interim, it is possible that some brave souls will successfully navigate their new licensing scheme and carry will become easier. This would be a great test tube for the argument that law abiding people CAN responsibly carry in urban areas without blood running in the streets.
Old 07-25-2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
except for one small thing...

[very possble DC will keep up its tradition of gamesmanship and may quickly enact new regs that "supposedly" satisfy the injunction but as we've seen before, they won't be legal]

In the interim, it is possible that some brave souls will successfully navigate their new licensing scheme and carry will become easier. This would be a great test tube for the argument that law abiding people CAN responsibly carry in urban areas without blood running in the streets.
A likely possibility, probably in conjunction with the various options discussed above.

Regarding CCW in urban areas, I hate the anti argument that things are "different" in urban areas. 6 of the 9 largest metro areas in the country are in "shall issue" states, and blood isn't running in the streets in any of them (Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philly, Miami, & Atlanta -- OK, blood is running in the streets in Chicago, but not because of CCW holders).

If it can work in these areas, no reason it can't work in NY, LA, and DC.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:06 AM

You are correct - and the notion that rights are "different" based on population density runs directly counter the foundational principle that the Constitution being the supreme law of the land - the whole land
Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You are correct - and the notion that rights are "different" based on population density runs directly counter the foundational principle that the Constitution being the supreme law of the land - the whole land
Yeah, too bad Scalia included the "presumptively lawful" "longstanding regulations" language.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM

Yes - he need not have gone to the lengths he did. Though he made those comments in the context of a decision that established a fundamental enumerated right (which in McDonald was fortified as not being a "second class" right) it is those phrases describing how the right is not unlimited that have been used to cause so much mischief over the years.
Old 07-26-2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Yes - he need not have gone to the lengths he did. Though he made those comments in the context of a decision that established a fundamental enumerated right (which in McDonald was fortified as not being a "second class" right) it is those phrases describing how the right is not unlimited that have been used to cause so much mischief over the years.
Of course there's interminable speculation as to why some of the language Scalia used is there in Heller, including the widely posited "He had to do that ("compromise") to get the fifth (and maybe even the fourth) vote in favor".

I strongly suspect the "mischief" is not over... not by a long shot.
Old 07-26-2017, 5:09 PM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Option 4: SCOTUS takes the case and overturns the ruling. "May Issue" CCW is essentially declared constitutional, and everyone within an anti-gun jurisdiction is out of luck with regard to CCW. Worst case scenario, and results in the "open carry" cases that are currently working through the system becoming the last ditch option for "bear.".
Option 1 is unlikely. If you read the ruling it drew heavily on Heller to reach it's conclusion. An Enbanc panel is going to have to explain to us all how Heller was misapplied by the 3 judge panel.

Option 2 seems, to me, to be more realistic.

Option 3 can't happen unless Option 1 happens differently than you describe.

Option 4 can only happen if Option 1 happens differently than you describe OR if Option 2 happens differently than you describe.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 07-26-2017, 6:41 PM

Default Peruta v. County of San Diego (CCW) [CERT *DENIED* 6/26/17] PART II

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Option 1 is unlikely. If you read the ruling it drew heavily on Heller to reach it's conclusion. An Enbanc panel is going to have to explain to us all how Heller was misapplied by the 3 judge panel.

Option 2 seems, to me, to be more realistic.

Option 3 can't happen unless Option 1 happens differently than you describe.

Option 4 can only happen if Option 1 happens differently than you describe OR if Option 2 happens differently than you describe.

In re-reading my comment, I realize I took a few shortcuts and didn't fully explain myself. Option 1 and 2 were intended as a discussion assuming the case ends at the Circuit Court and doesn't make it to SCOTUS. Options 3 and 4 assume it makes it to SCOTUS, and shortcuts the assumption that it makes it to SCOTUS as it stands. As you point out, not necessarily the most likely scenario of reaching SCOTUS as the current decision stands (i.e. I think D.C. may not appeal to SCOTUS if en banc is denied or the decision stands), but the result of SCOTUS either affirming or denying a right to carry in this case are as I described.

I disagree with your comment that Option 1 is unlikely. I completely agree that the En Banc panel SHOULD explain how Heller was misapplied, but I have very little faith in the politicians that wear robes. I fear the En Banc panel will come in with their decision made based on their personal politics/worldview, and will twist the facts, precedent, and logic to support their desired outcome. If this requires them to completely ignoring the 3 judge panel's analysis and ruling, so be it (their view, not mine).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Big Ben; 07-26-2017 at 6:43 PM..
Old 09-15-2017, 10:27 AM

I have always wondered if cert was denied simply because Peruta did not present a clear case in which SCOTUS should decide if concealed carry was protected by the 2A, when it wasn't clear that the state even had the right to intervene at the 9th. Notice I said "should" and not "could" decide, as I am thinking about doctrines of ripeness and judicial restraint.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
I have always wondered if cert was denied simply because Peruta did not present a clear case in which SCOTUS should decide if concealed carry was protected by the 2A, when it wasn't clear that the state even had the right to intervene at the 9th. Notice I said "should" and not "could" decide, as I am thinking about doctrines of ripeness and judicial restraint.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"

Last edited by ColdDeadHands1; 09-15-2017 at 10:39 AM..
Old 09-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

With all the complicating factors and irregularities Peruta became kind of a "messy" case and it could be they knew a clearer, simpler case was in the pipeline that would result in a clearer and simpler decision. That in turn would result in less wiggle room and fewer challenges down the road.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
With all the complicating factors and irregularities Peruta became kind of a "messy" case and it could be they knew a clearer, simpler case was in the pipeline that would result in a clearer and simpler decision. That in turn would result in less wiggle room and fewer challenges down the road.

That's a nice thought and all, but such cases have already been presented to them on multiple occasions, with the result always being the same: denial of cert.

At this point, there is nothing that distinguishes these cases from ones they've already denied cert to. Norman is possibly the only exception to that, but the Peruta dissent to denial of cert, combined with the fact that Woollard was about pure carry such that the Court could have struck the open carry prohibition if it wanted to, gives sufficient reason to believe that the Court will deny cert to Norman as well.

The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 09-15-2017, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
That's a nice thought and all, but such cases have already been presented to them on multiple occasions, with the result always being the same: denial of cert.

Weren't those all pre-Gorsuch though? Some think that may be the tipping point and if Peruta hadn't been such a mess it would have been taken... as it was maybe they knew something cleaner was on it's way up and decided to wait.
Old 09-15-2017, 7:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Weren't those all pre-Gorsuch though? Some think that may be the tipping point and if Peruta hadn't been such a mess it would have been taken... as it was maybe they knew something cleaner was on it's way up and decided to wait.
Gorsuch didn't change the balance. He replaced Scalia, thus maintaining the balance that was already there.

An actual change to the Court composition is what is required here. Until that happens, the Court simply isn't going to grant cert to a 2A firearms case.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I meant what you call a "messy case". Could SCOTUS have been waiting for the DC Circuit to rule on Wrenn.
Old 09-16-2017, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
Gorsuch didn't change the balance. He replaced Scalia, thus maintaining the balance that was already there.

An actual change to the Court composition is what is required here. Until that happens, the Court simply isn't going to grant cert to a 2A firearms case.
It's a race against time. Either mid terms or 2020 could tip the balance back to the Progs. Ginsberg is half dead and Kennedy has mentioned retirement. If these seats open, Trump could fill those vacancies and end up with a 2A court.
Old 09-17-2017, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
I think they presented their case just fine, leaving room for the court to opt for CC where OC is not available. They didn't budge. We'll see if they budge with Norman, a case WITH a clear split.
Old 09-19-2017, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
It's a race against time. Either mid terms or 2020 could tip the balance back to the Progs. Ginsberg is half dead and Kennedy has mentioned retirement. If these seats open, Trump could fill those vacancies and end up with a 2A court.
Kennedy won't leave - Trump pissed him off
Old 09-19-2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
And neither will Ginsberg - she is having too much fun.
Old 09-19-2017, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Default Peruta v. County of San Diego (CCW) [CERT *DENIED* 6/26/17] PART II

Quote:

Trump has pissed everyone off at some point.

Old 09-19-2017, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
And neither will Ginsberg - she is having too much fun.

Ginsberg won't walk out. She'll be carried out in a box.

Old 09-19-2017, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Ginsberg won't walk out. She'll be carried out in a box.

It's probably already weekend at Bernie's for that one.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez